struggling with a 1200 calorie allowance

Options
14567810»

Replies

• yarwell
    yarwell Posts: 10,477 Member
    Options
    Myfitnesspal gives 1200 to everyone. Regardless of your age, size, metabolism, etc. it's always 1200 which makes this app pretty dumb.

No, that'll be your use of it. If you put "lose 2 lbs/week" and "sedentary" many/most people will hit the 1200 bottom stop. That's because 2 lbs/week is a 1,000 calorie per day deficit so your TDEE without logged exercise needs to be 2200 or greater to float off the bottom.

With sedentary at 1.2 * BMR that equates to a BMR of 1833 which is fairly high, especially for shorter women.

A 1200 goal is avoided by setting a lower loss rate and/or a higher level of routine activity.

An actual food intake goal well above 1200 is achieved by logging exercise and eating the extra food as intended.
  • Mistya81
    Mistya81 Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    I struggled with 1200 calories too. I found that it was psychologically easier for me to stick to 1500 and I've been losing more.
  • shadowkitty22
    shadowkitty22 Posts: 495 Member
    Options
    Most people try to jump in and start with the "Lose 2lbs" a week program. Start at a lb or 1/2 a lb until your stomach shrinks, and you get use to the smaller portion sizes, then lower your calorie count. Determination isn't a bad thing, but don't make the boulder too big to push up the hill. Start with a smaller stone, then when you are use to pushing it, make the stone bigger. Don't set yourself up for failure. JMO

I personally did the opposite of this. I started with the lose 2 pounds a week option because I had enough to lose that I could handle it. Then every week I would readjust my calories so that they slowly went down over time (10 calories every week or two depending on my total weight loss so far). When I got to the point where I felt hungry no matter on my total calories for the day (usually around 1300ish - which tells me I probably wouldn't do that well on a 1200 calorie diet), I then changed my weight loss to 1.5 pounds a week and I got back a few hundred calories and so far that has worked for me.
  • g00dwin
    Options
    I did the opposite too, sort of. I made a deal with myself to make a honest effort for 1200, but if I felt truly hungry, I could eat something. Over the month of January, I'm averaging 1410/day and I'm quite happy with the whole thing. There are some days where I eat 1000, and if I'm hungry at breakfast the next day then I eat more. There are days that I eat 1600.

I'm not exercising right now, since I'm four weeks into "taking it easy" after a knee injury and I have two weeks to go, possibly three if I hurt it shoveling snow today..... I have no problems adding more into my diet once I start exercising again, if I feel the need for it.

The point is just be happy with what you are doing. If you're hungry, cranky, shaky, or whatever, then bump it by 200 and see where you stabilize.
  • kk_140
    kk_140 Posts: 518 Member
    Options
    I had an opposite problem. When I said 1200 calories a day I started having a really hard time hitting it! Normally being at around 700 calories after dinner. I'm always in a rush at night to get it up there lol
  • hesn92
    hesn92 Posts: 5,967 Member
    Options
    I couldn't do 1200. I have my goal set to 1500 and I usually go over
  • deksgrl
    deksgrl Posts: 7,237 Member
    Options
    Myfitnesspal gives 1200 to everyone. Regardless of your age, size, metabolism, etc. it's always 1200 which makes this app pretty dumb.

No, it calculates your daily needs not including exercise and then subtracts a flat amount of calories off of it depending on how many pounds per week you say you want to lose. But only to a minimum of 1200. The only dumb thing about it is it allows everyone and anyone to choose an unrealistic goal (2 pounds per week - of course everyone wants to lose 2 pounds a week even if that is not a reasonable goal for them), which subtracts too large of a number of calories.
  • Sunshine2plus2
    Sunshine2plus2 Posts: 1,492 Member
    Options
    I am eating about 1250 calories a day and I have not had any problems at all. Sometimes I dont hit it especially if I eat salad and stuff!
  • capricorn2721
    capricorn2721 Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    I am also struggling with it. Let's face it 1200 calories is not a lot. Some days are better than others. I find that if I eat protein and feel full, it's not so difficult. Also lots of veggies and drinking water. But, still, I have to admit that there are times when I go to sleep feeling hungry.
  • barrettgrl
    barrettgrl Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Im doing 1200 calories as well since about 3 weeks ago and Im sucking at it maintaining the calorie count but Im still losing, Im eating clean every 2.5 to 3 hours and drinking a ton of water but its so very hard
  • MatthewNSW
    Options
    I'm struggling on 1300. How you manage on 1200 is beyond me and I take my hat off to you for that goal. The only days where I feel there's any flexibility there are the days where I manage to get some exercise in. Of course that means that I'm buying calorie credit rather than coping on a low calorie budget, but it definitely alleviates the worry....
  • bjcfatty
    Options
    I cant seem to get up to 1200 calories. and if you exercise its even lower. I am always full. I have cut fat out like fat free milk and fat free ranch dressing and butter. and fruits in their own juice. very little starch. I've been adding chia seed to liquids or yogurt. They expand in your stomach and keep you full. Everyday I get the message that I am eating to little. Drink a lot of water, with lemon or lime or even cucumber. Of course I am really determined to loose this time. I have a long way to go. Good luck everyone.
  • sphillips7143
    sphillips7143 Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    I have been trying to stay at 1200 calories for about 10 months now. If you go over by 100 calories or so it's not a big deal! I use that 1200 calories as a gauge to not over eat like I once did. It sort of keeps my eating "in check!" I lost 7 pounds fairly easily and have been able to maintain my weight for many months.