28, 250lbs, not losing weight, please help

Options

Replies

• healthygreek
    healthygreek Posts: 2,137 Member
    Options
    And you checked your BMI and BMR and have not seen that the fat has turned in to muscle, which is heavier than fat?
    What?
  • RachelG2983
    Options
    I do see a lot here that I agree with.

1 day of rest might not be enough but it's a start at least.

Have you taken your measurements? Sometimes your progress will not show on the scale.

http://www.everydayhealth.com/weight/busting-the-muscle-weighs-more-than-fat-myth.aspx

A lot of people here have said that muscle weighs more than fat but that is a myth. Up until I found this article I thought the same thing.

Also check out this article geared towards men's fitness:

http://www.mensfitness.com/training/lose-weight/how-to-get-lean-25-ways-to-lose-fat-faster

I also recommend looking at your usual foods and finding out if they are good for targeting your metabolism.

Remember - everyone loses weight differently. It takes time don't give up! :)
  • rattleh3ad
    Options
    Exactly in the same boat as you OP.
  • Will_Thrust_For_Candy
    Will_Thrust_For_Candy Posts: 6,109 Member
    Options
    *sigh*

Muscle does not weight more than fat. His fat is NOT magically turning into muscle.

He is NOT, for sure, at 250lbs in bloody starvation mode.

OP....I just realized that you posted in the title that you are at 250lbs. How tall are you please?
  • cjfrankum
    Options
    For the sake of transparency, here is what I look like. I'm 6' 253.

http://i512.photobucket.com/albums/t330/frankum187/me_zps4199377b.jpg

I want to be 200 pounds. I haven't been 200 pounds since I was 18 years old.

I understand what people say when they say "muscle weighs more than fat". It's denser, so 1 lb of fat has more mass than 1 lb of muscle.

I truly understand what everyone says by weight my food better, but there is only ONE ITEM I haven't been accurately measuring. That's rice. I went back and it added about 150 calories per day to my totals. I should still be losing so I don't really buy into this as a good reason.

My BMI and BF% have not changed since January 1. My weight has dropped a half pound since January 1. I am so overweight that the exercising alone should have me losing weight, but it's not.

I don't use any condiments except mustard. I only cook my meat with olive oil.

My meat that I weigh is cooked. Does this make a difference in recording?

EDIT:***not honey mustard, pure 0 calorie yellow mustard. No, I don't drown my food in it.
  • gamergirl180
    Options
    When I first started losing weight I lost a little bit of weight my first week and then nothing for about 2 months. Then it just started falling off. Our bodies are strange like that. It sounds like you are doing a great job, just keep at it and you will see results.
  • gamergirl180
    Options

You should be weighing it before it's cooked or else you are underestimating the calories.
  • cjfrankum
    Options

You should be weighing it before it's cooked or else you are underestimating the calories.

bah...so when I cook a BUNCH of meat to eat for 2-3 days, how to accurately record the caloric value? Is there a way to take the un-cooked weight, and the cooked weight, and calculate the difference?
  • Hezzietiger1
    Hezzietiger1 Posts: 1,256 Member
    Options
    whenever i look at a food log and see .13 of a cup or some measurement like that, I can almost guarantee that the problem is inaccurate calorie counting. How do you measure .13 of a cup? Start weighing/measuring everything accurately and you will see a loss.
  • Hezzietiger1
    Options

I understand what people say when they say "muscle weighs more than fat". It's denser, so 1 lb of fat has more mass than 1 lb of muscle.

I truly understand what everyone says by weight my food better, but there is only ONE ITEM I haven't been accurately measuring. That's rice. I went back and it added about 150 calories per day to my totals. I should still be losing so I don't really buy into this as a good reason.

My BMI and BF% have not changed since January 1. My weight has dropped a half pound since January 1. I am so overweight that the exercising alone should have me losing weight, but it's not.

EDIT:***not honey mustard, pure 0 calorie yellow mustard. No, I don't drown my food in it.

I don't see olive oil in your food log?? That's a lot of calories.
  • Hezzietiger1
    Options
    Thanks again everyone. The help is hugely appreciated.

What I've decided to do is this:

1. Cut back working out to 6 days a week. Lift 3 days with cardio afterwords and have 3 days dedicated to only cardio.
    2. Cut calories down to 1,700
    3. Stop taking protein shakes, giving me more calories to physical eat (instead of drink) so I don't feel hungry all the time
    4. Weigh out rice/honey/etc

Thanks for all the advice and help everyone. Any other advice is seriously appreciated.

I think this is very smart.
  • cjfrankum
    Options

I don't see olive oil in your food log?? That's a lot of calories.

When I cook 2-3 days of meat, it's cooked in less than 10g of olive oil.
  • jaiblevins
    Options
    I noticed that you said you are lifting Heavy for 45 minutes every day. When you do that, you are growing muscle, which may be one of the things that is causing you to not lose weight. If you really want to lose weight and fat, try light lifting instead. Also, try to reach a greater caloric deficit. something closer to 1800 calories for a couple of weeks. If that doesn't work, you may need to see your physician, and have your thyroid checked.
  • hollygoddess
    hollygoddess Posts: 78 Member
    Options
    I agree, over-exercising with the everyday weight lifing...lifting should be every OTHER day, or alternate upper & lower body.
    There is nothing wrong with seeing the doctor & getting a FULL blood work up & all hormones checked/organ functions, something might be a problem you don't know about & your vitamin/mineral levels need to be known so you know what to be supplementing for optimum health. Metabolism is a very complicated thing for many of us....many times it will take 1-3 or more months for the body to adjust & "get in gear'. Don't give up, stick with it!!!( I speak from experience on the exercise thing.....It took 3 months for my body to show some response to all my efforts :-))
  • Akimajuktuq
    Akimajuktuq Posts: 3,037 Member
    Options
    OP: if you have been completely honest with yourself and what you have said here is true and all the conventional advice has failed (as it did for me for 20+ years and actually made me sicker…) it may be time to consider the food. For many of us WHAT we eat, or do not eat, does indeed matter very much. Small meals are a fail for me. I intermittent fast and eat 2 bigger meals per day. My biggest secret is the FOOD and my macro ration. Feel free to sneak a peek, keeping in mind that I am a woman working to resolve severe metabolic disorders and your situation may not be exactly the same.

And for heaven's sake don't go the route many of us go and that is most commonly advised here at MFP: eat less, eat less, eat less. Under-eating is NOT a solution. Your current deficit is fine (make sure it's not more than estimated!).
  • flipperscr83
    flipperscr83 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Are you drinking enough water?

When I plateaued I found this helped. Drink more water. Check out this link

http://www.timeforfitness.com/?p=352
  • Will_Thrust_For_Candy
    Will_Thrust_For_Candy Posts: 6,109 Member
    Options
    You can log the meat cooked or uncooked AS LONG AS the option you choose from the database is the same. So, if you are logging raw chicken breast, then make sure that you pick raw chicken breast. If you have cooked a bunch of meat, then weight each cooked portion you are eating, but log it as chicken breast, cooked (or roasted, etc).

So here's the deal....according to Scooby, at a lightly active activity level (so desk job with exercise only 1-3 times/week----I know you are doing more, but this is erring on the side of caution) These are your stats:

BMR: 2145
    TDEE: 2949
    TDEE -20%: 2359

Here is what I would suggest OP. Really take the next 3-4 week and MAKE SURE you are using the appropriate measurements for your food. WEIGH as much of your food as you can and avoid using cups for things other than liquids, although mL is a better measurement for liquids, not all food scales have that option. It may not be that your portions are off, but you just might be making the incorrect choice in the database. For things like EVOO when you are cooking a bunch of meat, still add a portion of that, say 0.5 of a tbsp to each serving just so that it's accounted for.

Make sure every condiment is accounted for, including cream in your coffee, alcohol, etc.

Cut back on your exercise....give yourself AT LEAST one rest day.

Make sure you are drinking enough water.

Make an appointment with your family doctor and have a full workup done.

Good luck.
  • edwardkim85
    edwardkim85 Posts: 438 Member
    Options
    Your profile is more fitting for bodybuilding.com. Go post your inquiries there along with pics.

Myfitnesspal members offer great support and advice, but when it comes to heavy lifting/protein intake/diet while lifting heavy, you will need to get advice from people on a similar program.
  • CassieReannan
    CassieReannan Posts: 1,479 Member
    Options
    When I was bigger and wasn't losing, it was because I was doing TOO much. I would have a rest day (I mean REST, sit on my butt and watch tv all day) and what do you know the next weigh in I've lost again.

Either that, or you need to change up your routine and diet. Having a "cheat" day would suprisingly help me lose weight by curbing my cravings throughout the week. I make sure my cheat days are on weigh in days so by next weigh in the water has left. But this is your journey and everyone is different. It's a matter of trial and error I'm afraid. Goodluck.
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    Options

bah...so when I cook a BUNCH of meat to eat for 2-3 days, how to accurately record the caloric value? Is there a way to take the un-cooked weight, and the cooked weight, and calculate the difference?

There are entries in the database for cooked meat. Just enter 'beef cooked' or 'chicken cooked' or whatever and find the right entry. I have to use the cooked entries most of the time here, as we just cook a bunch at once too.