Anyone training for 1/2 marathon or marathon?

Options

Replies

• 1_studentforever
    1_studentforever Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    One day I will train for the 1/2 marathon. Currently I'm trying to train to run the 5k. I'm using the couch to 5k program and it is great!
    Right now I'm on week 8 day 3. Last day. YEAH!!!!!:happy:
  • artygaleuro
    Options
    I'll be walking/running the Nashville half myself!
  • chunkytfg
    chunkytfg Posts: 339 Member
    Options
    My first half marathon of the year is next weekend. Will probably get a few more half's in over the year and i also have an ironman and a middle distance triathlon later in the year.

Feel free to add me if you fancy it.
  • NavyKnightAh13
    NavyKnightAh13 Posts: 1,394 Member
    Options
    I was going to do a half marathon in April but due to money I can't register for it.

I am hoping to be able to do another mud run this year and hopefully my first 1/2 but that will depend upon money.
  • cummingscb
    Options
    I'm about 8 weeks into training for my first half. I went for a run one day, and remembered how much I liked running (I had just celebrated losing pound #50 and felt like my joints were up to the challenge). I came home and put my accomplishment on Facebook, and a dear friend from high school who lives far away in Brooklyn invited me to run the Livestrong Half in Austin in February. Without deliberating too long, I decided to take the plunge! I've followed a conservative training schedule that I found online that was a 10 week plan, which was right for me. I don't do the interval portions (although I know I should if I want to get faster!), but my main goal is to finish the race, and hopefully run the whole way. Last week, I did my longest run of the training schedule, the 10 mile training run, and was really pleased with my time and how my HR stayed in my goal range about 95% of the 108 minutes it took me to complete my run. I'm alternately excited and nervous about the half coming up. Once I have one under my belt, I'll have to look at what I want to do next. Texas is miserably hot from May to October, so I may have to take a break and start back up with a half in the fall or winter.
  • cummingscb
    Options
    I'm curious - are there any half marathons that are affordable? Like $100 or less to register? For Livestrong, I'm having to raise $500, and so far I've had to put $180 toward that goal. It's going to be pretty prohibitive to do that more than once in a year.
  • RunMyOregonBunsOff
    RunMyOregonBunsOff Posts: 862 Member
    Options
    Disney World Full next Jan! It will be my 1st full. Sooooo excited!
  • Kirk_R
    Kirk_R Posts: 112 Member
    Options
    I'll be doing my first official half (have run that far many times but never "raced" one) with one of my kids this May in Frederick, MD. We're doing a pseudo Lydiard program to get ready (doing the 2 mid week and 1 weekend long runs from Lydiard's way of training but without other specific workouts, albeit still running every day - 189 day streak so far...).
  • mlogantra76
    mlogantra76 Posts: 334 Member
    Options
    I did my first half Dec 1st, followed by one Dec 29th and one January 11th. Yes I'm hooked. I have one in two weeks from now and then at least two in March and two in April.
  • Butrovich
    Butrovich Posts: 410 Member
    Options
    I'm curious - are there any half marathons that are affordable? Like $100 or less to register? For Livestrong, I'm having to raise $500, and so far I've had to put $180 toward that goal. It's going to be pretty prohibitive to do that more than once in a year.

Go to RunnersWorld to search for runs, or find a local website that advertises runs in your surrounding area. Usually the smaller, local half marathons are relatively cheap.

Mike
  • Greytfish
    Greytfish Posts: 810
    Options

Where are you located? (Or looking to run) I've run a half for as little as $43.
  • wombat94
    wombat94 Posts: 352 Member
    Options

There are many races that cost significantly less. The Livestrong races and some of the larger big-city races are more expensive, but not all of them.

In my area (Philadelphia, PA) there are quite a few HMs that come in significantly under the $100 level if you are planning ahead.

Nearly all races give early bird registration discounts if you sign up well ahead of race day. The Philadelphia Half Marathon, for example, is only $60 for the first 1000 registrations and then the price goes up in stages until it is $115 for the last set of registrations.

But, there are also smaller races (say 100 to a couple of thousand participants) which can be great experiences and can be MUCH less expensive. I'm considering a half this summer in western PA that is currently only $40 to register for.
  • brianpperkins
    brianpperkins Posts: 6,124 Member
    Options

The Hospital Hill half marathon in Kansas City cost me $60 this year. The OKC Memorial Marathon started at $80 for early registration with the half starting at $60. Check active.com, the back of any running magazine, or the upcoming run flyers in your local run shop for future runs ... earlier sign up often equals lower fees (and easier hotel reservations if needed).

Many charity runs have accompanying fund raising .... see Livestrong. Even Komen has a fairly average registration fee for their 5k but there is a "suggested" fundraising level that goes with it.
  • just_Jennie1
    just_Jennie1 Posts: 1,233
    Options

Active.com is a site where you can search for races around where you live. The half marathon I'm looking at doing in October is only $65.
  • nikkincs
    nikkincs Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    I'm doing the Philly Love Run (it's a new 1/2 marathon) at the end of march. If I am picked in the lottery again I'll be doing the Broad Street Run in May (10 miles). The Gary Papa Prostate Cancer 5k on Father's Day. Hopefully another half in early fall, haven't decided on that yet but it would be good motivation to stay in shape in prep for my wedding in October. And possibly the Food and Wine half in Disney (I'll be there on my honeymoon!)
  • ashzacher
    ashzacher Posts: 114 Member
    Options
    Ran the 1/2 in Pittsburgh last year - my first one ever - amazing experience.. Also ran the 1/2 in Erie at Presque Isle in September. Great course (it's totally flat) and a wonderful view.

Running Pittsburgh again this year!! Woo!!
  • vinniesooner
    vinniesooner Posts: 119 Member
    Options
    My first Tough Mudder is May 3rd. I'm also planing to complete my first 1/2 this year, and my first Tulsa Run in October. The Tulsa Run is 9 miles, but it's important to me because I lived in Tulsa for 37 years and never participated - and never thought I could.
  • MSouthernbelle87
    MSouthernbelle87 Posts: 63 Member
    Options
    I'm training for the Iron Girl 1/2 Marathon in MD.
  • 1soccerdad
    1soccerdad Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    Getting back at it this year and plan to run 3 halfs and 2 fulls though I haven't put them on the calendar yet.
  • daniellebomb
    Options
    Running the Nashville half in April rock n roll series! Cant wait!