How do you say NO to the bad foods!

Options

Replies

• Sunshine2plus2
    Sunshine2plus2 Posts: 1,492 Member
    Options
    I dont say no to bad foods. I just eat in moderation and I also make my own desserts that contain less fat and calories!
  • krist3ng
    krist3ng Posts: 259 Member
    Options
    This is probably terrible advice, but I remind myself that eating bad food gives you cancer. (Does it? I dunno. Maybe in 20 years, diet soda and cheese puffs will be what cigarettes are today.) And then I'm like, "Well, I'd rather just not eat that than get cancer." Or conversely, "Will this food item make me live longer?" Clearly my preoccupation with mortality is a motivator.
  • sunshyncatra
    sunshyncatra Posts: 598 Member
    Options
    Fit it into your calories and eat it. Or get it out of the house. Get some cuties or another healthy alternative for your son to snack on.
  • mccindy72
    mccindy72 Posts: 7,001 Member
    Options
    This is probably terrible advice, but I remind myself that eating bad food gives you cancer. (Does it? I dunno. Maybe in 20 years, diet soda and cheese puffs will be what cigarettes are today.) And then I'm like, "Well, I'd rather just not eat that than get cancer." Or conversely, "Will this food item make me live longer?" Clearly my preoccupation with mortality is a motivator.

Diet sodas and cheese puffs, in moderation, do not give you cancer. I can tell you as someone who has cancer that my diet had nothing to do with my diagnosis.
  • krist3ng
    Options
    Which kind of apple did you use? Which size? There are many different types of apples containing different amounts of sugar, and sizes from very small to very large. There are also multiple varieties of Little Debbies. You are not comparing (ahem) apples to apples. It's not about binging, it's about deciding to eat something you like and eating it in moderation. You can have good nutrition throughout the day and still have a Little Debbie. They come individually wrapped for a reason.

The thing is, it sounds like a snack of convenience. She wants Little Debbies because they're there, not necessarily because they're her favorite treat ever. Little Debbie treats are full of preservatives and cheaply made with (most likely) lackluster ingredients. The flavor profile is just sugar and a weird chemical aftertaste. The chocolate in the LD treats doesn't taste like real chocolate. I know all about snacks of convenience because I've done the same thing. A snack food is in my apartment, therefore I want to eat it, whether or not it's worth the calories, whether or not I love it.

Personally, I think it's best to eat expensive junk food. Like, you want cookies? Okay, here's a cookie made with farm fresh eggs and organic stuff. That way, first of all it's a more "special" treat, and you'll probably want to Instagram it and remember it forever. And because it was expensive, you'll probably have it less often.

Not saying I always follow my own advice or anything.
  • No_Finish_Line
    No_Finish_Line Posts: 3,661 Member
    Options
    as i am sure many have said, i don't say no to them i just say no to serving after serving.

when you think about it, traditionally a diet consists of two parts: eating less and avoiding certain foods.

If you take away one of those factors, you've honestly made it about 50% less difficult.

my fear was that if i was going low cal, and i ate something calorie dense like a candy bar, then i could never eat enough volume of food to satify myself and still be at my calorie goal.

In practice this has not been the case at all.

I think even most people in the 'clean' eating catagory will admit that true nutritional success can not be achieved if you can't eat a reasonable amount of foods that you enjoy.
  • krist3ng
    Options

Diet sodas and cheese puffs, in moderation, do not give you cancer. I can tell you as someone who has cancer that my diet had nothing to do with my diagnosis.

And now I feel like a jerk. Sorry :(
  • mccindy72
    Options

And now I feel like a jerk. Sorry :(

Please don't. I didn't say it to make you feel bad. People have misconceptions about foods being "bad" and try so hard to avoid them. Sugar is supposed to be bad for cancer, so I do try to keep my intake down, but everything in moderation. If I want some chocolate or a cookie, I have it. Just enjoy a treat now and then and don't binge on it and it will all work out. Enjoy the little things!
  • bloggymomx
    Options
    I don't restrict them. I allow myself to eat them in moderation but now i Just don't even want them :)
  • Gettinghealthysarah
    Options
    I am not into depriving myself but history has shown me that one snack cake leads to an entire box. So I avoid bringing them Into the house in quantities greater than one! If I have a craving I need to get myself to the local bakery(or our local service station that is open 24/7 and has killer carrot cake) and buy one item, bring it home and sit at the kitchen table making sure I enjoy every single bite!!!Usually I am too lazy to go buy my special treat but knowing I could savor one keeps me from feeling as if I missed out!
  • mccindy72
    Options
    I am not into depriving myself but history has shown me that one snack cake leads to an entire box. So I avoid bringing them Into the house in quantities greater than one! If I have a craving I need to get myself to the local bakery(or our local service station that is open 24/7 and has killer carrot cake) and buy one item, bring it home and sit at the kitchen table making sure I enjoy every single bite!!!Usually I am too lazy to go buy my special treat but knowing I could savor one keeps me from feeling as if I missed out!

super smart idea! Great job. :drinker:
  • arrseegee
    arrseegee Posts: 575 Member
    Options
    I just don't enter into a conversation with bad foods, because I hate the way they talk back to me.
    Unless of course I'm having a good day in which case a small conversation can be managed.
  • votkuhr
    votkuhr Posts: 276 Member
    Options
    My cute little mind map on deciding whether to eat the last 10 pieces of donuts ;D

658tus.jpg
  • cookiealbright
    cookiealbright Posts: 605 Member
    Options
    I run upstairs and look at my bathing suit. Do I want that Little Debbie as bad as I want to look hot in the suit? That Little Debbie is a kid treat and I'm an adult, if I eat that I certainly won't be "Little" very long. I have snacks in the house for the kids, but I'm not going to eat them...Good luck to you in your quest! :flowerforyou:
  • mccindy72
    Options
    I run upstairs and look at my bathing suit. Do I want that Little Debbie as bad as I want to look hot in the suit? That Little Debbie is a kid treat and I'm an adult, if I eat that I certainly won't be "Little" very long. I have snacks in the house for the kids, but I'm not going to eat them...Good luck to you in your quest! :flowerforyou:

I still don't understand this rationale. Why can't you have the treat and still look hot? There is a happy medium. People who figure that out are the most successful at losing weight and keeping the weight off. Deprivation leads to failure. Have one little snack and really savor it, but make room for it in your overall daily calorie count. Just don't eat one every day or every meal. Youl'll enjoy it all the more because it's an occasional treat.
  • wenatplay
    Options
    when our youngest was about 8 or 10 my husband and i decided to STOP buying all that bad stuff. it wasn't enough that we were trying to get healthy. but really, debbies, potato chips, ring dings, etc [all that great stuff i LOVED] are no good for the kids either.

i remember HOW HARD IT WAS AT FIRST but **TRULY** after a while your body no longer craves that crap and you can just walk away knowing that that ONE LITTLE ACT just made you SO MUCH HEALTHIER - and saved you hours of cardio to boot!

JUST SAY NO for a few days to a week and by week's end you'll see you just don't crave it as much.

my advice is you DO deprive yourself of the unheatlhy stuff for a week until your taste buds adjust and you lose a small goal of weight. AFTER, a bad munchie once in a while isn't the end of the world. but it IS at the beginning of a diet.

hope this helped
  • Gettinghealthysarah
    Options

I still don't understand this rationale. Why can't you have the treat and still look hot? There is a happy medium. People who figure that out are the most successful at losing weight and keeping the weight off. Deprivation leads to failure. Have one little snack and really savor it, but make room for it in your overall daily calorie count. Just don't eat one every day or every meal. Youl'll enjoy it all the more because it's an occasional treat.

I agree, deprivation is what got me Fat in the first place! Seriously, so many rules on good food bad food had me going crazy and crashing for two days then bingeing for a week! I am only a little over a month into my new healthy eating attitude but it does seem to be working! If nothing else the mental abuse I caused myself over my views food has stopped! I have a few simple rules! 1)Eat what I want but stop when it stops tasting GREAT. I can have it again later if I want and then it will taste great again. 2) eat my food at the kitchen table. No exceptions other than 'date night' once a week. 3) weigh in monthly! 4) savor and enjoy every bite you eat and while eating only eat! No TV, computer, books ect
    I am early into this but time will tell! I have found I am gradually enjoying different foods and knowing at anytime I can run out and by that treat has me not seeking them much. I may be wrong but I believe many , like myself, got heavy because of this unhealthy view on food! That being said I don't buy chips, ice cream, little Debbie's to have on hand in the house. I need to make an effort to get them when I want them by going out at the time and bringing them back home to eat at the table. Date night is also now a juicy burger and fries that I truly enjoy! No salad I didn't want only to come home and polish off everything in my fridge! Haha
  • RivenV
    RivenV Posts: 1,667 Member
    Options

tumblr_lwznol3vOj1qcbjps.gif

Don't you know that losing (or loosing) weight has to be an arduous process full of woe and deprivation?
  • RivenV
    RivenV Posts: 1,667 Member
    Options

I agree, deprivation is what got me Fat in the first place! Seriously, so many rules on good food bad food had me going crazy and crashing for two days then bingeing for a week! I am only a little over a month into my new healthy eating attitude but it does seem to be working! If nothing else the mental abuse I caused myself over my views food has stopped! I have a few simple rules! 1)Eat what I want but stop when it stops tasting GREAT. I can have it again later if I want and then it will taste great again. 2) eat my food at the kitchen table. No exceptions other than 'date night' once a week. 3) weigh in monthly! 4) savor and enjoy every bite you eat and while eating only eat! No TV, computer, books ect
    I am early into this but time will tell! I have found I am gradually enjoying different foods and knowing at anytime I can run out and by that treat has me not seeking them much. I may be wrong but I believe many , like myself, got heavy because of this unhealthy view on food! That being said I don't buy chips, ice cream, little Debbie's to have on hand in the house. I need to make an effort to get them when I want them by going out at the time and bringing them back home to eat at the table. Date night is also now a juicy burger and fries that I truly enjoy! No salad I didn't want only to come home and polish off everything in my fridge! Haha

Congratulations to you on your success so far!
    tumblr_mt80mvKYGn1rqfhi2o1_500.gif
  • No_Finish_Line
    No_Finish_Line Posts: 3,661 Member
    Options
    Just don't eat one every day or every meal.

everyday ok, IMO, not every meal tho.

Ice cream and or candy bar EVERYday