Staying Entertained While On Treadmill

Options

Replies

• becky10rp
    becky10rp Posts: 573 Member
    Options
    Pandora..................LOUD...................!
  • BlueBombers
    BlueBombers Posts: 4,065 Member
    Options
    Listening to my classic rock and metal mix on my iPod \m/
  • bmtelle
    bmtelle Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    If you have an iphone/ipad, some of these apps might alleviate the boredom while on a treadmill.

https://itunes.apple.com/us/artist/active-theory-inc/id464492757
  • Linli_Anne
    Linli_Anne Posts: 1,360 Member
    Options
    Netflix on my tablet.

For anything less than 5miles I can make do with music, but, 5+ miles and I watch something.

I have to say though, I'm ready for these insane windchills to go away for good because after the 11miles I did on the dreadmill this past week-endI am almost at my capacity for how long I can tolerate running on the spot.
  • BrianSharpe
    BrianSharpe Posts: 9,249 Member
    Options
    During the harsh Iowan winter, I don't find myself running outside much, if at all. I have a treadmill, and that's my main way of exercising other than working out at a gym three times a week.

How do you stay entertained while walking/jogging on a treadmill? I tend to get super bored.

Now you know why I suck it up and run outside (unless there's freezing rain or a howling blizzard)

If you dress properly the temperature is not a problem (it was about -36C when I ran a half-marathon yesterday)

On the days I do find myself on the treadmill (it's in our family room in the basement) I'll just throw a movies in the DVD player (preferably something that doesn't require a lot of attention) and watch it while feeling sorry for myself for running on the dreadmill.
  • Lyerin
    Lyerin Posts: 818 Member
    Options
    Netflix on my iPhone or Zombies, Run! or podcasts. It depends on my mood. This weekend, I watched 2 episodes of Supernatural on my iPhone while running. Last week, I played Zombies, Run! and then switched to podcasts when the mission was over for the remainder of my run.

I also wish for spring really hard so that I can get outside and away from everyone else at the gym. LOL
  • kdiamond
    kdiamond Posts: 3,329 Member
    Options
    I find a TV series I've never watched before on Hulu.com or Netflix,
    and take in an episode on my computer screen while working out.

^^^This

Currently I'm watching Sons of Anarchy and I am hooked!
  • jglovicz
    jglovicz Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    I'm glad I found this thread because I had the same question! I watched the entire season of the biggest loser while on the elliptical. Greys anatomy,,etc. I also like romantic comedies (easy to watch). I'll have to try Sons of anarchy.
  • Roxiegirl2008
    Roxiegirl2008 Posts: 756 Member
    Options
    Linli_Anne wrote: »
    Netflix on my tablet.

For anything less than 5miles I can make do with music, but, 5+ miles and I watch something.

I have to say though, I'm ready for these insane windchills to go away for good because after the 11miles I did on the dreadmill this past week-endI am almost at my capacity for how long I can tolerate running on the spot.

Bless you! That sounds like my own personal hell!

I have no advise. I see the dreadmill like a doctor's visit...sometimes needed but never loved! HAAAA

Luckily we have had pretty nice weather here so I cannot complain. For everyone else here is hoping the cold breaks and you get to hit the pavement! :)

• dbmata
    dbmata Posts: 12,951 Member
    Options
    During the harsh Iowan winter, I don't find myself running outside much, if at all. I have a treadmill, and that's my main way of exercising other than working out at a gym three times a week.

How do you stay entertained while walking/jogging on a treadmill? I tend to get super bored.

I was on the bike earlier. Sitting there, smug and perfect.

Judging people around me. Playing games on my phone, and listening to LMFAO.

Then I saw the blind woman on the treadmill and felt bad about my life. I complain about problems... I know nothing.
  • DeeTee68
    DeeTee68 Posts: 198 Member
    Options
    Why not try actually concentrating on what you are doing on the treadmill. If you are just pounding away the time at the same speed same elevation are you really getting a good workout ? As someone mentioned before do intervals then you have to concentrate on what you are doing. Speed up for 5 mins, lift elevation for 5 mins, keep alternating your workout and time will soon pass. You could burn double the calories and get better anerobic fitness by adding intervals to your routine.
  • kyylieeeeee
    kyylieeeeee Posts: 197 Member
    Options
    I agree with many people that Netflix is a good way to kill time on cardio machines. But my thing is listening to podcasts when I work out-- I feel that they are often a little more thought-provoking than most television shows, and it's much easier to just leave my headphones on when going between cardio and strength training if all I'm doing is listening!
  • sw33tp3a11
    sw33tp3a11 Posts: 4,646 Member
    Options
    I watch CNN or listen to my ipod. Sometimes I do both.
  • Jruzer
    Jruzer Posts: 3,501 Member
    Options
    cmasonrock wrote: »
    Not sure how this would work on a treadmill, but it is a lot of fun to use when your going about your day! I got eaten while I was at East Side Mario's yesterday...lol!!
    I recommend the Zombies, Run! app.

Wow, I totally misread this at first.
  • TamaraKat
    TamaraKat Posts: 533 Member
    Options
    I tend to just zone out and contemplate the meaning of life... because I'm philosophical like that ;)
  • subversive99
    subversive99 Posts: 273 Member
    Options
    Music works for me. Spotify has some great playlists which let me hear new songs which have a good beat for running. If I'm working hard (and at my current fitness level, everything is hard), I can't do kobo, TV, or tablet, simply have to focus on the effort of running.
  • AgentOrangeJuice
    AgentOrangeJuice Posts: 1,069 Member
    Options

I always forget my headphones when doing treadmill at the gym, so I just stare at the big screens, trying not to look at the numbers on my machine display, omg I've walked 80 miles in 2 minutes, but the machine says only did .01 miles wtf is wrong with it!!!!
  • Katiebear_81
    Katiebear_81 Posts: 719 Member
    Options
    I also use Zombies, Run! You can set tracking to "off", so it's not confused about why you're not moving. A kick *kitten* playlist helps. I also try to do some sort of visualization, imagining I'm outside on my favourite trail. But to be fair, I'll run for half an hour, 45 minutes tops. Then I'm done. I will also do manual intervals, like run at a higher speed for 5, lower speed for 5 (although I usually time it by songs, not actual minutes).

Hope it warms up for you soon!
  • lbetancourt
    lbetancourt Posts: 522 Member
    Options
    i do intervals. that usually helps. and, i always play the "how long can i go without looking at the display" game. but, mostly, i am bored beyond belief. i feel your pain. sorry i can't suggest anything brilliant.
  • ashleycde
    ashleycde Posts: 622 Member
    Options
    I run hard enough that I'm not bored. Focus on breathing and stride.
    LOL. I could do a full on sprint and get bored.
    I was just thinking that haha.

I have a stationary bike at home, and I blast music, dance and sing at the top of my lungs while spinning. When I used to work reception at a gym and could workout for free, I watched TV while on the treadmill but still found it kind of boring. I find strength training more enjoyable, but hard spinning/cardio can get me out of a mental funk if I've got some aggression to work out.