Mexican or Mexican't?

Options
Hi all, new guy here, I went this weekend to the L.A. Fit expo and I'm motivated to make some changes to improve my health, it won't be easy giving up the delicious mexican food I'm used to eat, tacos, tortas, tostadas, getting hungry just thinking about it lol
Feel free to add me up.

Se habla Español.

Replies

• chrisram88
    chrisram88 Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    lol dont worry bud! you can still enjoy those delicious tacos and tortas and whatnot. Moderation is key! I still enjoy then and have dropped some pounds! Completely denying them will be worst .
  • ktsmom430
    ktsmom430 Posts: 1,100 Member
    Options
    I had a chicken fajita for lunch today, without the tortilla and toppings.
    My advice, don't deny the things you love. All things in moderation and try to keep it in your daily calorie allotment.
  • marieamethyst
    marieamethyst Posts: 869 Member
    Options
    Tacos and salsa are two of my biggest addictions, and I certainly haven't given them up! I just eat lighter during the day when I know I'm going to have them so I'm still within my calorie limit. :)
  • Mia_RagazzaTosta
    Mia_RagazzaTosta Posts: 4,885 Member
    Options
    Why are you giving them up?
  • stormbornkraken
    stormbornkraken Posts: 303 Member
    Options
    Welcome and good luck! However, moderation is key. You can still incorporate you favorite meals if they are modified. I now have to leave off that extra order of cheese :grumble: but it is worth it!
  • Escloflowne
    Escloflowne Posts: 2,038 Member
    Options

Yeah? What does that have to do with being healthy? Just eat it but stay in your calorie goal....
  • mccindy72
    mccindy72 Posts: 7,001 Member
    Options
    Hi all, new guy here, I went this weekend to the L.A. Fit expo and I'm motivated to make some changes to improve my health, it won't be easy giving up the delicious mexican food I'm used to eat, tacos, tortas, tostadas, getting hungry just thinking about it lol
    Feel free to add me up.

Se habla Español.

IN for hilarious thread titles. :laugh:
    And yeah, eat the yummy foods you like, just less of them and adjust other meals to fit them in!
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,867 Member
    Options
    Just moderate...I'm in New Mexico and no way I'm giving up New Mexican food. I just moderate my intake.
  • Mrs_K_Ldtke
    Options
    Welcome and good luck! However, moderation is key. You can still incorporate you favorite meals if they are modified. I now have to leave off that extra order of cheese :grumble: but it is worth it!
    What she said ^
    Good luck on your fitness goals!
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options

Yeah? What does that have to do with being healthy? Just eat it but stay in your calorie goal....

There is more to staying healthy than staying within your calorie goal.

OP, if these are foods you love but are too high calorie to fit into your goals as often as you like, I would suggest learning to prepare them yourself with lower calorie ingredients. Reduced fat cheeses and sour cream, baked instead of fried, leaner meats, etc.

And save the high calorie versions for special occasions.
  • blf20
    blf20 Posts: 97 Member
    Options
    If you cook, there are some awesome lower fat Mexican (and other) recipes on The Picky Eater and Skinnytaste web sites.
  • Mia_RagazzaTosta
    Mia_RagazzaTosta Posts: 4,885 Member
    Options

There is more to staying healthy than staying within your calorie goal.

OP, if these are foods you love but are too high calorie to fit into your goals as often as you like, I would suggest learning to prepare them yourself with lower calorie ingredients. Reduced fat cheeses and sour cream, baked instead of fried, leaner meats, etc.

And save the high calorie versions for special occasions.

So there's more to staying healthy than staying within your calorie goal and then you go on to suggest, wait for it, how to stay in his calorie goal?

Got it.
  • Sekxy49
    Sekxy49 Posts: 104 Member
    Options
    lol dont worry bud! you can still enjoy those delicious tacos and tortas and whatnot. Moderation is key! I still enjoy then and have dropped some pounds! Completely denying them will be worst .

^^^THIS!! Even better, try some of those dishes with grilled chicken (shredded) or ground turkey. Spicy salsa can be your friend as well...the capsaicin helps to burn those calories!!
  • luciafernanda
    luciafernanda Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    te puedo agregar? no soy mexicana pero vivo en el DF...siempre hay la tentación de tortillas y tacos y todo!
  • karlielynn11
    karlielynn11 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    You can eat whatever you want just got to either modify some of the bad stuff out of your recipe, eat less, or work your butt off and burn calories so you can eat that favorite meal. Best of luck to you though!
  • OCTAVlO
    OCTAVlO Posts: 12
    Options
    Luciafernanda: Claro! Yo no se como aun!.
    (Sure! I'm not sure how to do it myself yet!.)

Thank you all! I didn't expect so many replies! I think I'll like this new journey.

Although I'm not obese, traveling all over the USA made me gain some extra weight, every state I've been to has something delicious to offer, I'm not completely giving up Mexican dishes (deliciously packed with sugar,carbs, salt and fat) but now that I'm eating "leaner" I find myself being hungry allll the time even though I control my portions, I just had my first check up in 5 years, and I was surprised to find out I'm not as bad as I thought I'd be, I regularly packed bad carbs like nobody's business yet I didn't gain too much weight (fast metabolism) right now I'm drinking as much water as I can to suppress my appetite, I'm still trying to figure out if my goals are actually where I need to be and how to get there.
  • MysteriousMerlin
    MysteriousMerlin Posts: 2,270 Member
    Options
    MexiCAN...please to be air-mailing me all the delicious tacos, por favor <<--- see what I did there?!
  • EverBella2014
    Options
    I love tacos too.

I was surprised to learn that each corn tortilla is about 100 calories.
    So often tacos are sold double wrapped--- ba da bing that's 200 calories in just tortillas.

I'd say buy your taco meat by weight, then make your own tacos.
    You get the flavor, but you control the tortilla count and veggies.

If you like to cook, learn to make your favorite meats at home.
    There's bound to be ways to improve the nutrition, while keeping the flavor.
  • OCTAVlO
    OCTAVlO Posts: 12
    Options
    MysteriousMer: Tacos going your way, double tortilla dipped in lard!.

Which reminds me, to me, Mexican means Mole, Pozole, Menudo, Barbacoa, Enchiladas, etc, tacos are a snack and burritos are mostly unknown in Mexico, I'm not talking about a DelTaco or Taco Bell menu lol.
  • jos05
    jos05 Posts: 263 Member
    Options
    I will never give up Mexican food!!! It's just not ever going to happen...

Moderation...and sub out for lighter options; but never never never give up the Mexican food!! :love: