Does lemon juice make my body more alkaline?

Options

Replies

• jayjay12345654321
    jayjay12345654321 Posts: 653 Member
    Options
    Great job using your buddy's chemistry book, but you've entirely overlooked the human body's respiratory system. Lemon does not alkalize itself. The citric acid is expelled via the respiratory system as a person exhales, and also via the kidneys as uric acid. What is left after the body quickly does away with the citric acid is calcium, magnesium, potassium, and Selenium to name the largest quantities, also known as "alkaline ash." If someone said lemons alkalize the blood, they are wrong. But to say lemons do not have an alkalizing ash is equally wrong.

There is a reason dietitians don't take Chemistry 101 and get a degree handed to them their sophomore years.

Where did you get this information?

Sam Houston State University, BS in Food and Nutrition Science. Not my buddy's first-year chemistry book, Chapter 4, How to Calculate a Mole.
  • ILiftHeavyAcrylics
    ILiftHeavyAcrylics Posts: 27,732 Member
    Options
    Great job using your buddy's chemistry book, but you've entirely overlooked the human body's respiratory system. Lemon does not alkalize itself. The citric acid is expelled via the respiratory system as a person exhales, and also via the kidneys as uric acid. What is left after the body quickly does away with the citric acid is calcium, magnesium, potassium, and Selenium to name the largest quantities, also known as "alkaline ash." If someone said lemons alkalize the blood, they are wrong. But to say lemons do not have an alkalizing ash is equally wrong.

There is a reason dietitians don't take Chemistry 101 and get a degree handed to them their sophomore years.

Sam Houston State University, BS in Food and Nutrition Science. Not my buddy's first-year chemistry book, Chapter 4, How to Calculate a Mole.

Maybe you should check the OP's credentials again.
  • 3dogsrunning
    3dogsrunning Posts: 27,167 Member
    Options

:snort: I don't think you want to play that game.
  • Otterluv
    Otterluv Posts: 9,083 Member
    Options

Ummm, sorry, but she didn't use her friend's chemistry book. In her OP it says "my friend chemistry" NOT "my friend's chemistry book".

Really and truly, you don't want to go head to head with the credentials on this one.
  • ThickMcRunFast
    ThickMcRunFast Posts: 22,511 Member
    Options

U mad bro?:laugh:

The Krebs cycle goes on in our cells, all the time, whether or not lemon water is ingested.

so...congrats on describing respiration (also from what looks to be a beginners text book)? Not sure what that has to do with the wacky claim about blood pH and lemon water. Also not sure why you think common elements like calcium, magnesium, potassium, etc have anything to do with pH or alkalinity.
  • tigersword
    tigersword Posts: 8,059 Member
    Options
    In, because I have to see this beat down....
  • Achrya
    Achrya Posts: 16,913 Member
    Options

IDK, everyone exposed the 'secret' of the OP's credentials so I'm not sure the beat down is gonna happen. It's so much better if you draw it out then come out swinging with the "BOOM, SCIENCE! This is what I do for a living!!!" on page 4 or 5.
  • felcandy
    felcandy Posts: 228 Member
    Options
    i <3 u... science.

I'm taking nutrition 320 this semester <3
  • Whambam087
    Options
    First of all in order to maintain homeostasis your body maintains a strict blood oh (stupid spell check) of 7.35-7.45. Anything lower and you would start suffering from acidosis (to much CO2 or too like bicarbonate) or alkalosis(too little CO2 or too much bicarbonate). And secondly alkaline is another way of saying basic and lemons are acidic
  • SunofaBeach14
    SunofaBeach14 Posts: 4,899 Member
    Options

So it gets into my respiratory system how?

duh, rapidly shunted from the stomach to the lungs. Do you even biology?

I was going to do a line of lemon juice
  • ThickMcRunFast
    Options

IDK, everyone exposed the 'secret' of the OP's credentials so I'm not sure the beat down is gonna happen. It's so much better if you draw it out then come out swinging with the "BOOM, SCIENCE! This is what I do for a living!!!" on page 4 or 5.

plus she's be soooo mad when she finds out its actually my chemistry book, not my buddy's! BWAHAHAHA.
  • uconnwinsnc
    uconnwinsnc Posts: 1,054 Member
    Options
    uyAQ1eN.jpg
  • The_Enginerd
    The_Enginerd Posts: 3,982 Member
    Options
    7mTVVrg.gif
  • Synchronicity
    Synchronicity Posts: 82 Member
    Options
    :love: science
  • ThickMcRunFast
    Options
    I'm still waiting on how the TCA cycle is magically different if you eat a lemon as opposed to say, bacon (which is listed as an 'acidifying' food).

ETA: OMG I am going to dive into my buddy's bio book and maybe I can find a way to respire bacon. IMMA BE RICH.
  • Bebubble
    Bebubble Posts: 938 Member
    Options
    I got lost at :noway: ThickMcRunFast. :huh:

I like lemons and water!
  • Alairissa
    Alairissa Posts: 160 Member
    Options
    Do we know the definition of alkaline? Also I am enjoying this post. :drinker:
  • VBnotbitter
    VBnotbitter Posts: 820 Member
    Options

Let me just run around to intensive care to tell them to hold the lemons for bed 6! :noway: :huh:

OP simply marvellous post
  • ThickMcRunFast
    Options
    Do we know the definition of alkaline? Also I am enjoying this post. :drinker:

Alkaline is simply pH>7

Alkalinity of a liquid is the ability to neutralize hydrogen ions.

Edited because the formula comes with all kinds of caveats that trip my OCD
  • MoreBean13
    MoreBean13 Posts: 8,701 Member
    Options
    So unbelievably in.