weighing food = eating disorder

Options

Replies

• DamePiglet
    DamePiglet Posts: 3,730 Member
    Options

Do you WANT to lose weight?

Sure you do.

When people tell you that you look fine, do you feel a little offended that they are making that up to make you feel good about yourself?

All females will look their best at 20-25 % total body fat.

Ever try to attack the eating side of the equation through hunger control?

Folks thing that hunger is something that is locked in stone. But the sensation of hunger starts out as signals from the stomach that it is not as full as it is used to being. That gets processed by the brain, with input from almost every part of the brain, so that for the obese this sensation drives them to eat. A lot.

But the brain is plastic. You can rewire it. You can attenuate the sensation of an empty stomach with the urge to eat.

Want to try?

First, eat small volume meals, as many as you want, to shrink the volume of the stomach. Count calories if you like, but that is not important.

You might be surprised at how you will feel. You might start losing weight.

After a couple weeks of this, start cutting down on the number of meals you eat.

I guarantee you WILL be surprised at how you feel and your change in hunger urges.

Ultimately, the goal is to skip breakfast, and eat your first meal of the day at noon or so. Not only will the fat-burning process be extended in the morning, but you will further get used to working and living your life on an empty stomach.

Your brain will re-wire. You will be a new person. You will gradually lose weight.

Look at the freebie pages in the kIindle version of Dr. John Hagan's "Breakfast: The least important meal of the day."

Take control of your life. Sky's the limit.

You go girl!

Hi Steve! :love: :heart:
    note_take_meds.jpg
  • It's true if you become literally obsessed. It can become a habit. Counting calories really isn't important, quality matters more than quantity.
  • Derp_Diggler
    Derp_Diggler Posts: 1,456 Member
    Options
    You can't measure what you don't track.

It's ok to keep track of your money, but it's not ok to measure your food? People are whacked out of their minds.

Pretty much what I was thinking.

Spend too much money - you get broke, or worse, in debt

Eat too many calories you get fat, or worse, unhealthy.

Everything needs moderation and awareness. Blindly eating however much you want is no different than overspending your budget.
  • Derp_Diggler
    Derp_Diggler Posts: 1,456 Member
    Options
    It's true if you become literally obsessed. It can become a habit. Counting calories really isn't important, quality matters more than quantity.

Not for weight loss.
  • waytobeduck
    Options
    I was chatting with some family members and we got on the topic of weight loss. I mentioned that since I've been exercising and counting calories, I've lost a few pounds. I started to go into detail about how I weigh my food so I can know how much I'm actually eating, and my aunt said "but only people with eating disorders do that! You'll become anorexic obsessing over food."

Have any of you been told this?
    What do you say?

I just switched the subject.

probably best to humour them. it's obviously not a specific eating disorder trait... by the dsm-5 or otherwise... it's just being intelligent and being exact. they're probably jealous lol
  • DamePiglet
    DamePiglet Posts: 3,730 Member
    Options
    Weighing food - not eating disorder...
    This is an eating disorder:
    chicks-crazy-funny-18.jpg
  • arlenem1974
    arlenem1974 Posts: 437 Member
    Options
    I weigh all my food some people think that's its crazy until I show them how I used to look then they ask me how I did it.
  • momstreet
    Options
    wow, that is the first time I have heard that... I have been at this for 2 years, I've lost 135 pounds...and I still weight my food. My answer back would be simply, that you are learning what healthy portions look like... keep up the great work! and keep weighing and measuring... it keeps you honest!
  • spikrgrl503
    spikrgrl503 Posts: 247 Member
    Options
    Calorie counting in general can lead to a lot of disordered thinking...obviously it doesn't mean that everyone who counts calories or weighs and measures everything has an ED or disordered thinking, but many do. There is plenty of evidence right here on MFP.

If you can weigh and measure and track your intake while still maintaining and/or developing a healthy relationship with food then it is the best way to go in my estimation...but people often do go down a very dark road when they start doing this stuff. For those that suffer ED, it is generally not recommended to count calories or weigh and measure their portions, etc as it often triggers their disorder.

I actually find that weighing my food actually curbs my eating disorder. Eating disorders are about control. It's just as easy to put 1500 cals (or whatever) in my mouth as it is to put 0 cals in my mouth by weighing and keeping proper portions. It's always a control thing, but at least in one way I'm still getting the nutrients I need and working toward the goal.
  • Journeygirl
    Journeygirl Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    Kind of seems to me that she might feel threatened by your resolve to get to a healthy weight.
  • BinaryPulsar
    BinaryPulsar Posts: 8,927 Member
    Options
    Hi Steve! :love: :heart:
    note_take_meds.jpg

Omgosh, this is so cute and funny!! :flowerforyou:
  • BinaryPulsar
    BinaryPulsar Posts: 8,927 Member
    Options
    I don't usually tell people that I count my calories because I don't want people to have the wrong idea. Although I do mention it sometimes. But, some people think that any kind of awareness of calories, thinking about calories, watching what you eat is disordered eating. Those are their own issues and/or lack of proper understanding. Also, it seems that some people think that once you lose weight you will just keep losing it. I only lost around 5 or 10 pounds at most, but people were worried I would continue to lose weight. I've maintained this same weight for almost 2 years now. Sometimes people will tell me I look thin and ask me if I lost more weight. The answer is that I haven't lost weight, my weight is the same, or I may even weigh up to 5 pounds more than the last time they saw me. My weight fluctuates within a 5 pound range. But, all of their worries are unfounded. People realize that now that they see me the same weight as I was a year ago, and when they see me eating sundaes and cake and pizza. But, most people got it all along that I just work on my health and fitness.

Oh, I also just want to add that it was really only two people that expressed worries. One of them had recently gained 60 pounds, so she had a new concept of "normal". And the other person had her own struggles, so sometimes projects that onto others.
  • ShadeyC
    ShadeyC Posts: 315 Member
    Options
    Poppycock.
    If you don't weigh it how do you know what weight to put in mfp?
    After awhile you get good at guestimating. But to start with you have no idea how much anything weighs and therefore can't enter anything even remotely accurately.
    From what I've seen and experienced, eating disorders seem tied with an obsession about food as an enemy, something to avoid and hide from. Food is fuel. If you over fill the tank bad things happen.v If you under fill the tank bad things happen. Being able to measure what goes in is sensible. The bonus is it tastes goooooooood.
  • 19TaraLynn84
    19TaraLynn84 Posts: 739 Member
    Options
    I've been laughed at for what I do, but I've not heard it equated to an eating disorder. The one person who laughed at me is extremely overweight, so I didn't even respond.
  • smn76237
    smn76237 Posts: 318 Member
    Options
    It's true if you become literally obsessed. It can become a habit. Counting calories really isn't important, quality matters more than quantity.

Not for weight loss.
    But...what if I spend all my money on quality things?? Quality over quantity, right? :-P

Joking aside, I think everyone could benefit from a food scale; as a whole, we lack serious awareness of proper portion sizes and nutrition value just using our eyeballs. I have learned so much using my scale for almost a year. Tare is my best friend. There is a difference between taking control of your diet and letting controlling your diet control you.
  • MelodyandBarbells
    MelodyandBarbells Posts: 7,725 Member
    Options
    Just goes to show the state of the information that's out there. The latest lifestyle change, eating method, cleanse, diet book, brain rewiring, you name it will always be more sexy and "normal" than buying a $10 scale and measuring what you out into your body.
  • gabrielleelliott90
    gabrielleelliott90 Posts: 854 Member
    Options
    Some people say calorie counting in itself is an eating disorder which is a load of bull. It can lead to eating disorders, but it's not likely. Don't listen to them, it won't happen. We are only trying to get a weight loss, and if we don't measure, then we won't get it.
  • Springfield1970
    Springfield1970 Posts: 1,945 Member
    Options
    Personally, I've never been healthier mentally about food since I've been weighing it. I've learned the value of it and enjoy every mouthful, I know when I'm fuelling properly and feel positive and that my food is 'good'. I've also lost the fear of food and gaining weight. The negative emotions have been removed. I'm an anxious person, and now eating is a joy, and I'm happier with my body than I've ever been.

I've learned to trust thermogenics, maths and science. I feel completely safe in my numbers.

Not giving up major food groups, food timings or any of the other 'diets' 'fads' or 'detoxes' that screwed me over for decades.

You need to man up in front of your therapist and tell her the positives it brings you, and educate her. My therapists have often dominated me with their ideas, and even triggered behaviours in me because of my lack of confidence and boundaries and my extreme open minded ness. This is a good opportunity to assert yourself and out your foot down.

Yes, it is a 'behaviour' perhaps a little unusual, but it's better than what you were doing before and it gives you control to fuel your body enough for optimum health, not for starvation.

I'd also ask myself if I was seeing the right person, a good experienced therapist is a rare creature. They don't have ALL the answers and sometimes they are just...wrong. They're only human, but you can get some very good results anyway, just be watchful, it's ok to disagree about some things.
  • Springfield1970
    Options
    Depends on your goals I guess. If weighing your food aids you in reaching your goals, why is it considered a disorder?

if I set a montly budget on my spending and I track it through my online bank account, I have a disorder for that as well?

I like this. Great analogy.

I often say that about the budget thing...but then I remember most people have terrible financial sense too. I guess some people are happier being more conscious about their lives and are used to being honest with themselves.

I think haphazardly eating is weird and one day we are going to look back and laugh. I can imagine wearing a chip one day that automatically gauges things as you go. That, or our survival mechanism kicks in and we develop some seriously strong satiety hormones in generations to come. Right now, we have an obscene excess of food and no off switches. I could easily eat and drink three times as much as I do now and not feel too full. Tracking works to keep me healthy as I can be. It only takes a few minutes a day.
  • Springfield1970
    Options