Buying "fake" products to impress others?

Options

Replies

• Lovely_77
    Lovely_77 Posts: 1,116 Member
    Options
    Is that your grandma's coat????

Poppin tags. Savers all the way. Lol
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,639 Member
    Options
    I for one don't like to spend extra money on say a pair of dry-fit T shirts because of just the name on it. Most dri-fit shirts are made by only a couple of manufacturers and the company they make them for, put their logos on them. So I'll buy a Champion Gear shirt at Target over a Nike shirt especially when the difference is about $10.

But I know many who buy "fake" or "imitation" products just so they can impress others. Fake Rolex's, fake Gucci bags, fake diamonds etc, but claim it's the "real" thing. Why not just buy a nice quality bag even if it's not a Gucci or Coach?

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness industry for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

Shirt labels to impress people --- fake watches to impress people --- Meh.

Just wondering however, were you trying to impress me by adding your credentials to your post?
    People are much more impressed that I'm 50 and in great shape.:laugh: My credentials are usually posted with every post because it makes it easier to find them on threads and letting people know that I actually am legit.

IDEA Fitness member
    Been in fitness industry for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • Bebubble
    Bebubble Posts: 938 Member
    Options
    I wonder if anyone's ever been assaulted or robbed of their "fake" bag or jewelry?

IDEA Fitness member

Yes, yes they have. San Diego CA
  • Sharkington
    Options
    Just go thrift shopping, people.
    Go pop some tags, with 20 dollars in your pockets.

Or wear your grandpa's clothes.
    You'll look incredible.
  • creativerick
    creativerick Posts: 270 Member
    Options
    Nike Dri Fit >>> Champion... The Nike shirts are amazing...

Oh but

And 1 Socks >>> UA socks.

Just buy what you like and can afford. I make a few dollars, I can afford to spend $25 on a workout shirt and $130 on basketball shoes. It's worth it to me. I don't buy it for you.
  • PghPensFan69
    PghPensFan69 Posts: 2,393 Member
    Options
    Is that your grandma's coat????

Poppin tags. Savers all the way. Lol

THIS
  • Sinisterly
    Sinisterly Posts: 10,913 Member
    Options

Or wear your grandpa's clothes.
    You'll look incredible.

Get me a plane ticket, I'll go borrow them off her/him/it :tongue:
  • HardcoreP0rk
    HardcoreP0rk Posts: 936 Member
    Options
    I didn't realize there are knock off coach bags out there. The originals are not really pricy enough to be worth making knock offs.

CoachFakevsReal1.jpg

Good lord, they're both equally hideous. What is with people?
  • HardcoreP0rk
    Options
    You want to impress me with a brand? Spring for Canada Goose and leave the North Face at home. I'm impressed by people who can recognize real quality, support local manufacturers, keep craftmanship alive, etc.

Coach? Really now... :noway:
  • QuietBloom
    QuietBloom Posts: 5,413 Member
    Options
    I didn't realize there are knock off coach bags out there. The originals are not really pricy enough to be worth making knock offs.

Plus the knock offs are so cheaply made. If I am going to buy a purse I want one that is going to last.
  • QuietBloom
    Options
    I bought fake Uggs for $12 to annoy the crap out of my friends. :laugh: Other than that, I wouldn't bother.

I treated myself to a pair of real Uggs. Wool outer and sheepskin inside? Pure heaven. Plus they will last forever. :smile:
  • QuietBloom
    Options
    Nike Dri Fit >>> Champion... The Nike shirts are amazing...

Oh but

And 1 Socks >>> UA socks.

Just buy what you like and can afford. I make a few dollars, I can afford to spend $25 on a workout shirt and $130 on basketball shoes. It's worth it to me. I don't buy it for you.

I have to agree that Nike makes amazing clothes. The workmanship and fit are awesome. However, I do buy C9 a lot and have been happy with most of my purchases.
  • MinnieInMaine
    MinnieInMaine Posts: 6,400 Member
    Options
    Never have, mostly likely never will. I spend more money on my running shoes than I'd ever dream of spending on a purse or article of clothing. Most of the time you'll see me shopping at thrift stores, consignment shops - poppin tags baby!

A friend of mine bought a knock off a few years back in NYC and she loved the experience of that shady deal just as much as she loved the purse. Probably wouldn't do it again but it's definitely an interesting story!
  • Shreddingit84
    Options
    I like fake fun bags! :drinker:

and i like to impress! :bigsmile:
  • odusgolp
    odusgolp Posts: 10,477 Member
    Options

CoachFakevsReal1.jpg

Good lord, they're both equally hideous. What is with people?

*hi five*
  • GetSoda
    GetSoda Posts: 1,267 Member
    Options
    Like when someone gets a glock instead of a 1911?
  • summertime_girl
    summertime_girl Posts: 3,945 Member
    Options
    I file this under the heading, I don't give a ****. Honestly, what difference does it make?
  • HardcoreP0rk
    Options
    I file this under the heading, I don't give a ****. Honestly, what difference does it make?

Go ahead, doll. Spend your precious time telling us how much you dont care.
  • summertime_girl
    summertime_girl Posts: 3,945 Member
    Options

Go ahead, doll. Spend your precious time telling us how much you dont care.

What's with the *****y comment? I don't care either way if someone has knock offs or the real thing. It really makes no difference to me. As far as precious time, yeah, it takes me soooo long to write a sentence.
  • amastre
    amastre Posts: 176 Member
    Options
    Frankly, I love my fake Ray Ban sunglasses.