"Starvation mode", exercise calories, dillema?

Options
1171819202123»

Replies

• CaitlinW19
    CaitlinW19 Posts: 431 Member
    Options
    Thanks for writing this. I have a MFP friend that I hope reads this. I don't want to be too pushy, but I know she's not giving her body enough fuel. Luckily, I know she will be seeing an MD soon and is looking for answers. I'm a nobody, but hopefully a professional's opinion will make it click.
  • SHBoss1673
    SHBoss1673 Posts: 7,161 Member
    Options
    SHBoss1673, thank you for such a comprehensive post at the beginning of this thread. I began weight loss about 4 weeks ago and have since began trying to separate fact from myth in the world of diet and exercise, and as I'm sure you know there certainly is a lot of myth out there. I feel the best source of fact, or at least the best we can hope for, is from research journals. Can you please point to me the research article/journal which shows the body entering an absorptive mode following fasted state. Meaning that your body holds onto food while eating in a starved state and prefers storage to feeding the body. I've heard this many times, but just as you, I'm trying to separate fact from myth. I am a 5'10 male weighing 350 and have been on an 800 calorie low carb high protein diet consisting of lean protein and vegetables for 4 weeks. This resulted in 20lbs of weight loss. During this time, I've poured over research papers and studies that have to do with BMR decrease and metabolic changes associated with starvation (less that 50% bmr intake of food). What I've arrived at is that "starvation mode" and the resultant decrease in BMR are largely controlled by decreasing thermogenesis. This will decrease your BMR by a small degree and make you feel cold all the time. But the more obese the person, the lesser suppression in thermogenesis for the same degree of fat depletion in a normal weighted person. ("Adaptive reduction in basal metabolic rate in response to food depreivation in humans: a role for feedback signals from fat stores" Abdul G Dulloo and Jean Jacquet, American Journal of Clinical Nutrition 1998). So in obese people the effects of this "starvation mode" are largely decreased. I've read the book Eat Stop Eat, and then read all of the sources sited in the back as well. Many of these claims for the use of a 24 hour fast or 1 meal a day to increase fat loss do hold up. What I can't find however is studies that specifically demonstrate the greater loss of lean tissue over fat during starvation or semi-starvation. Also, I'd like to find whether nutrition influences the bodies tendency to oxidize fat over lean tissue during a semi-starved state. Meaning, can eating high protein and low carb influence what my body decides to cannibalize. I respect your opinion and admire your passion, but if you would, help me along the path to separate all these myths by stating some sources for your claims.

So, in review. If you know of any of the following, please let me know. They'd allow me to accept the information in your post a lot easier and put to rest some questions I've had for a long time now. My personal research does conflict with yours a bit, and love to read more if you have on hand the below information.

- Source for body favoring an absorptive state after fasting

- Source for body favoring lipogenesis when eating during a fasted state

- Source for body favoring lean tissue catabolism over lipolysis in the obese during starvation.

- And if you have ran across any study that talks about how nutrition effects the balance of lean tissue catabolism and liplysis.

first, let me apologize for taking so long to respond. Busy time for me. I'll have to look over my notes on where to go to find the statistics you're looking for, but please note, because most of these studies would fly in the face of traditional "diet" businesses, you won't find many privately funded studies that will support these conclusions. Many of them come by way of tangent analysis, I.E. taking the byproduct results from other studies and comprising summary reports based off them.

There are a lot of sports based studies and studies on gastroenterology that focus on how the body prioritizes fuel sources that can be deduced. Some of these involve "normal" body types as opposed to athletes or people who have disorders related to the intestinal tract, which gives you a better cross section to deduce from.

I'll see what I can dig up from my studies and forward them along.

regards,

-Steve
  • SHBoss1673
    Options
    I've created a public download on dropbox that has a bunch of studies that I've read related to this topic along with a quick summary. this list is a little old, so some of these may no longer work, but give it a shot.

it's in MS word format, so download the reader if you don't have word installed (the reader is free).

here's the link to the download.

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/hcg38vy1jsqfa5l/txp-faKXzf
  • SHBoss1673
    Options
    Thanks for writing this. I have a MFP friend that I hope reads this. I don't want to be too pushy, but I know she's not giving her body enough fuel. Luckily, I know she will be seeing an MD soon and is looking for answers. I'm a nobody, but hopefully a professional's opinion will make it click.

unfortunately, not all (or even very many) MD's are qualified to talk nutrition. It's kind of a dirty little secret in the medical community that doctors receive almost zero nutritional training, only 1 course in pre-med for GP doctors usually. Unfortunately many doctors won't admit this and give out erroneous advice when they really shouldn't. A far more helpful resource would be a registered dietitian. They are required to go very deep into nutrition and are well educated. Even then it's a matter of finding one that works well with your personality.
  • lynnweil1985
    lynnweil1985 Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    Thank you for posting that, me and my co-workers where just trying to understand this.. THANKS again!!!