Why the scale goes UP with a new workout program- MUST READ

Options

Replies

• sushildahiya
    Options
    Boy! That's a life saver. After loosing two kilos I upped my gym workout and suddenly my weight or the scale started upping as well. Now that I know about this article
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/595473-why-the-scale-goes-up-with-a-new-workout-program-must-read
    I am back from the brink of giving up.
    Hey guys out there, I need a pal to do this with. None of the friends around want to so if there is anyone out there in cyberace on MFP I need one....... Happy weight management!!!!!:laugh:
  • cindiva65
    cindiva65 Posts: 335 Member
    Options
    This is whats going on with me and I couldnt figure out what the heck to do about it....guess nothing other than keep on keeping on!!
  • MissSaturday
    MissSaturday Posts: 784 Member
    Options
    thank you for sharinggg
  • doriharvey
    doriharvey Posts: 89 Member
    Options
    bump to save. good information!
  • Lemongrab1
    Lemongrab1 Posts: 158 Member
    Options
    Great article. Bumping for others to read.
    This hasn't happened to me yet, however I only weigh myself once per week so it may be happening during my off-scale days :bigsmile:
  • cindyst1
    cindyst1 Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    Bumping to save so I can come back to it every time I start a new program.
    Thanks
  • svsl0928
    svsl0928 Posts: 205 Member
    Options
    Thanks! I needed to read this. I increase my workout time this month and saw the 3-4 pound gain. This is good information.
  • guroprincess
    Options
    bump
  • almostthere3986
    Options
    bump
  • mrsctpace
    mrsctpace Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    Wow...glad I came across this post...I have increased my physical activity (cardio & strength training) my goal is to attend the gym 5 days/week, but I accomplish going 3 to 4 times a week. Water is my drink of choice, and I have limited sweets to eating on Saturday & Sunday. I feel smaller (in inches) and I have more energy...with that being said, I was looking forward to my early morning weigh-in (on Wednesdays); however, when I got on the scale it either increased, or stayed the same (idk, I was so distraught about the fact that I hadn't lost any weight...I lost all sense of direction)...I did manage to go to the gym inspite of being disappointed. I'm going to continue on this journey...hopeful to see the scale decrease in the near future
  • suzerb2
    Options
    We should rejoice that we have a weight gain right after a work out as it is the result of working hard which means if we continue then we will see actual results we want which is a toned body, strength, and endurance!! And look good in the mirror! If we lost weight too fast it was just water loss from sweating or dehydration.
  • chasetwins
    chasetwins Posts: 702 Member
    Options
    REALLY needed this - this week!! Oddly enough..using one of her DVD's and scale went up with a 4,000 calorie deficit. Thank you for sharing!
  • Erebekah33
    Erebekah33 Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the info..cux I always noticed that! Just makes me push harder thanks
  • TimothyWHughes
    TimothyWHughes Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    Thank you! I had been feeling so demotivated after ramping my exercise up a gear and not understanding what was going on with my weight. I do now! I'll be back in the gym first thing tomorrow and pushing forward :)
  • saab002
    saab002 Posts: 10
    Options
    Good read. Does it take like 3-4 weeks to start dropping slowly (or does it drop right away) or does it take a shorter period of time?
  • robston
    robston Posts: 67 Member
    Options
    I would love to know the answer to this question about the loss of the fluid retention as well.. does it go away very quickly, or will you see it hang on for a few weeks?
  • nomorebingesgirl2014
    Options
    Bump
  • XTSH
    XTSH Posts: 129 Member
    Options
    Thanks for sharing. Always knew about the fluid retention that comes with any new workout program/routine but to see it explained put my mind at ease now.

I have stopped my strength workouts for 2-3 weeks for more cardiovascular exercise recently. Just picked up strength training last Saturday and the soreness returns plus a kilogram more.
  • danaberge
    danaberge Posts: 117 Member
    Options
    Great article. This explains why I only lost .2 lbs of weight after two weeks of sticking to a 1500 a day calorie goal and exercising 4-5 days a week. I was thinking it was water retention, too much salt. I still think it was partially due to this.. but I see my body getting smaller. I feel my body smaller, more tones, and def. my muscles are sore (especially my back)

Thanks for posting.

Sticking with it this year, and not giving up. This is MY year.. OUR year!!! Good luck ladies and gentlemen.
  • Vivianna777
    Vivianna777 Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    Very informative! Thanks for sharing :)