It's NOT always as simple as a deficit

Options

Replies

• QuietBloom
    QuietBloom Posts: 5,413 Member
    Options
    So this topic has been bothering me for a very long time.. and I know its not that simple and here is why.
    Time and intesnity are not include.

Everybody here say eat less, eat less and make it seem so simple, but they are clearing forgetting about other parts. Time.
    Here is what I beleive is an example.. Now we are not going to talk about somebody who is 600 lbs. Weight will just melt off when he eats 1000 calories a day.

But when somebody else who needs to loose 10lbs, weight just dosn't melt off.
    Lets say I I start to eat at 1200 calories and I don't see weight fall off. My next thing would be to drop the calories to 1000. But I can't because everybody here says its a no no. so that means I have to in crease my burn, my exercise..

Lets talk about that. I do not know how to increase my intensity, so I have to now, in crease the time. I work out.
    Well I work 8hrs a day and I sleep for 8 hours, there goes 16hrs. Now also spend 4 hrs with my son. so that just leaves me with 4hrs left in the day.. Well I still need to help around the house which includes ( cooking, cleaning, attempting to fix things etc) Now there goes 2 hrs. so Now I have 2 hours left to work out. Maybe its enough to burn off 1000 calories ( HRM) or maybe its not. If its not. Where the hell is somebody supposed to get the extra time from?
    I am not going to give up time from working (Job, house) ; I am not going to take time away from my child, although he is 4 so I could attempt to work out when he is taking a bath.
    The only option left to leave out is sleep. Now at this time, and weather, season, there is no way, I am able to get up an an hour early to work out. but I could stay up. and how much longer do I stay up, and loose sleep. do I choose to get 7 or 6hrs of sleep? or even 5?
    Weekends are great. But it was meant as a chatch up day. Catching up with family. and house hold responsibility. maybe I could squeeze in 3 hrs of a work out.. but does that really work? to work out and more calories only on the weekend and not durring the week?

Figuring out how to create the right deficit might take time. But it doesn't mean that CICO is not simple. You just have to figure out the in and the out of the equation that works FOR YOU.
  • SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member
    Options
    So this topic has been bothering me for a very long time.. and I know its not that simple and here is why.
    Time and intesnity are not include.

Everybody here say eat less, eat less and make it seem so simple, but they are clearing forgetting about other parts. Time.
    Here is what I beleive is an example.. Now we are not going to talk about somebody who is 600 lbs. Weight will just melt off when he eats 1000 calories a day.

Lets say I I start to eat at 1200 calories and I don't see weight fall off. My next thing would be to drop the calories to 1000. But I can't because everybody here says its a no no. so that means I have to in crease my burn, my exercise..

Lets talk about that. I do not know how to increase my intensity, so I have to now, in crease the time. I work out.
    Well I work 8hrs a day and I sleep for 8 hours, there goes 16hrs. Now also spend 4 hrs with my son. so that just leaves me with 4hrs left in the day.. Well I still need to help around the house which includes ( cooking, cleaning, attempting to fix things etc) Now there goes 2 hrs. so Now I have 2 hours left to work out. Maybe its enough to burn off 1000 calories ( HRM) or maybe its not. If its not. Where the hell is somebody supposed to get the extra time from?
    I am not going to give up time from working (Job, house) ; I am not going to take time away from my child, although he is 4 so I could attempt to work out when he is taking a bath.
    The only option left to leave out is sleep. Now at this time, and weather, season, there is no way, I am able to get up an an hour early to work out. but I could stay up. and how much longer do I stay up, and loose sleep. do I choose to get 7 or 6hrs of sleep? or even 5?
    Weekends are great. But it was meant as a chatch up day. Catching up with family. and house hold responsibility. maybe I could squeeze in 3 hrs of a work out.. but does that really work? to work out and more calories only on the weekend and not durring the week?

If someone is really eating in a deficet they lose weight and you don't have to add in exercise...I have yet to see or meet an adult who truly maintains on 1200 calories...perhaps a tiny tiny tiny woman...maybe but doubtful.

So not sure what the bother is...being honest about logging and accurate is the key...exercise is added bonus.

Oh and FYI, I work, have a family (husband and son), a lift, a house to clean, over 30 family members and I find time to exercise and not deprive anybody of anything including myself...esp sleep cause Im a big ole *kitten* without my sleep.

So not too sure where your scenario comes from but it's not necessary to workout for hours to lose weight...eat at a deficet log accurately

and those are the facts regardless of any special snowflake that decides to disagree.
  • Commander_Keen
    Commander_Keen Posts: 1,181 Member
    Options
    Figuring out how to create the right deficit might take time. But it doesn't mean that CICO is not simple. You just have[bold] to figure out the in and the out of the equation that works FOR YOU.[/bold]

and thats the hard part, which changes CICO to not so simple.
  • elyelyse
    elyelyse Posts: 1,454 Member
    Options
    When you only have 10lbs to lose, the weight isn't going to "melt off" no matter what you do. For many people it takes months of eating at a small deficit. Unfortunately, when you only have 10lbs to lose, you need to have lots of patience while seeing very slow results. You could of course try to lower your calories to the point where you're under-eating, but that invites a whole host of issues, not the least of which are that the last 5 pounds are going to be even more difficult.
  • Commander_Keen
    Options

Oh and FYI, I work, have a family (husband and son), a lift, a house to clean, over 30 family members and I find time to exercise and not deprive anybody of anything including myself...esp sleep cause Im a big ole *kitten* without my sleep.

So not too sure where your scenario comes from but it's not necessary to workout for hours to lose weight...eat at a deficet log accurately

and those are the facts regardless of any special snowflake that decides to disagree.
    Hey thats' great, your the master of your OWN domain, you wanna cookie or something?
    Doesn't help anybdoy who needs the addional help..
  • Commander_Keen
    Options
    When you only have 10lbs to lose, the weight isn't going to "melt off" no matter what you do. For many people it takes months of eating at a small deficit. Unfortunately, when you only have 10lbs to lose, you need to have lots of patience while seeing very slow results. You could of course try to lower your calories to the point where you're under-eating, but that invites a whole host of issues, not the least of which are that the last 5 pounds are going to be even more difficult.
    Lets call that, boddy being stubburn. Now what if your body is stubburn when its not the last 10lbs but 20 or 30 or even 50. Then what?
  • SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member
    Options

Hey thats' great, your the master of your OWN domain, you wanna cookie or something?
    Doesn't help anybdoy who needs the addional help..

Haha no I make my own cookies thanks...and I use butter in them...

Additional help? how could anyone need additional help, this thread is so long with so many people explaining why CICO works and the naysayers saying it doesn't and then being proved wrong...accuracy in logging, choosing the correct entries...simple.

Exercise is is not required to lose weight.

Bodies are not stubborn, they don't "hold onto fat" or decide to screw with your emotions.... people are not truthful with themselves, don't have the knowledge or are looking for an excuse....those are the simple reasons weight is not lost...even with just 10lbs to lose it can be done in 20 weeks eating at a "reasonable" deficet...that is not a long time in the large scheme of things.

ETA: next time snip the quote if you are going to exclude stuff...trying to take something out of context to be "snarky" doesn't look good on you.
  • DamePiglet
    DamePiglet Posts: 3,730 Member
    Options
    Figuring out how to create the right deficit might take time. But it doesn't mean that CICO is not simple. You just have[bold] to figure out the in and the out of the equation that works FOR YOU.[/bold]

and thats the hard part, which changes CICO to not so simple.

If you are having difficulty losing that last 10, I suggest that you look into adding some small, quick resistance exercises that take a minute or so and take no time away from your regularly scheduled life...
    For example, stand a couple of feet from the edge of a countertop and do a few sets of push-ups while your child is having a snack and / or do a couple of sets of planks when you wake up in the morning. There are plenty of exercises that you can incorporate into your daily routine that won't disrupt a thing.
  • bacitracin
    bacitracin Posts: 921 Member
    Options
    I just wanted to post a note of support, encouragement, and motivation for those who are eating at a deficit and aren't seeing results. I did that for a long time with no weight loss.

For me, it really isn't as simple as calories in vs. calories out. That means it may not be that simple for you either.

But you CAN find what does work (for me, it means I need to make sure that the calories I do eat include more vegetables and less carbs/processed foods) and then you won't feel so discouraged.

Find what works for YOU instead of beating yourself up when what works for "everyone else" doesn't work. When you find that groove, it's a great feeling.

Also, scales lie. Measure body fat percentage and how your clothes fit, and how much longer you can run, or how much more weight you can lift.
  • hammersoaps
    Options
    I am struggling to believe the whole calories in calories out thing!! I am not losing weight eating at a deficit.

And if anyone tells me to weigh my food, I do! I weigh everything, it took me 30 minutes to prep my picnic lunch today for weighing any tiny thing I ate! Even the apple! Which was 100g exactly.

I exercise about 5 times a week. I have lost 2kg in 2 months. I have started measuring myself and noticed I'm losing some inches (slowly). But still the weights not shifting.

So no. Calories in, calories out is not working to get my weight down.

Any tips to get it to budge would be appreciated :) any snarky comments, I'd rather not :)
    Thanks!

I don't understand. You say you aren't losing weight at a deficit, but then say you lost 2 kg and some inches. Sounds like it is working to me. I think most people have a misconception about how long it takes to lose weight. You are losing about a half a pound a week. Not too shabby, especially if you want long lasting results. If you want to lose more faster, create a larger deficit through either diet or exercise. Simple, but not always easy. I'm consistently losing a pound a week. I've got 38 lbs to go. I'm going to start doing stronglifts as soon as I'm over the stupid cold I have and I am personally not looking forward to seeing my scale possibly stop moving for a bit. I may not lose "weight" per say, but If I continue my deficit, will be maintaining my muscle and losing fat.
  • paganstar71
    paganstar71 Posts: 109 Member
    Options
    I'm not arguing against the tracking method, I know it works. I am saying it is not the only method and is not the method I want to use long term. I am also saying there is evidence to suggest that the human body is equipped with the ability to maintain a healthy weight without artificial control methods.

Calories count but you don't have to count calories. I don't think anyone would be idiotic enough to suggest that you must count calories to achieve a calorie deficit, surplus or maintenance state just that it is a rather good method of doing so.

Of course the body has the ability to maintain a healthy weight or lose weight without artificial controls or even conscious effort. Literally millions of people around the world do that. Our body has this natural ability just as it has the ability to perform many things on an autonomous level. You don't need to tell your heart to beat, your blood to flow or your eyes to see.

Your body actually does not want to routinely over eat or deal with the consequences of doing so. Your body does not wish to carry excess fat which poses a threat to its survival. Your body does not wish to keep losing and gaining significant amounts of weight which is a stressful process. Your body craves homeostasis.

The problem is we over ride what our bodies want routinely when it comes to eating. We eat more than we need for lots of reason. We eat to medicate our selves. We eat because we are happy, lonely, bored, out of pure habit, to share an experience, to shut off that critical voice in our heads saying "you are not good enough." We eat for pure pleasure. We live in an environment where access to cheap, incredibly tasty calories is abundant.

So, what to do? Count calories? Yes, you could do that and be very successful.

You could also try and reconnect with your body's natural ability to regulate weight if you have over ridden it in the past using other methods like intermittent fasting, intuitive eating, mindful eating or the like. Through conscious mastery you work towards unconscious mastery.

It can be done. It does take some work though...

^^ THIS ^^
    A goal worth working towards. I am learning and pleased with the results so far.
  • paganstar71
    paganstar71 Posts: 109 Member
    Options
    Paganstar:
    re: your profile pic... Who do you identify with? The fit woman in the tshirt, or the person who made the caption?

I am interested in the answer to this myself.

Ha ha, how bizarre and creepy. What you wanna psychoanalyse me?

I searched diet meme, thought the woman looked OK if slightly too skinny and the caption made me laugh. I don't identify with either!

Edited to say she looks like she has a missing arm too! But the sea is a nice colour and makes me think of summer :happy:
  • geebusuk
    geebusuk Posts: 3,348 Member
    Options
    To further point out the flaws in this post...
    Of course the body has the ability to maintain a healthy weight or lose weight without artificial controls or even conscious effort. Literally millions of people around the world do that. Our body has this natural ability just as it has the ability to perform many things on an autonomous level. You don't need to tell your heart to beat, your blood to flow or your eyes to see.

Your body actually does not want to routinely over eat or deal with the consequences of doing so. Your body does not wish to carry excess fat which poses a threat to its survival. Your body does not wish to keep losing and gaining significant amounts of weight which is a stressful process. Your body craves homeostasis.
    Maybe YOUR body doesn't.
    But, I'll tell you what... mine and literally millions of others DO. That is why we are on this website - we like eating more calories than we need. There's very good arguments from evolution which explain why we might want to be like this.

If you're not - lucky for you, your body is more appropriate for current living in a western society.
    But please don't suggest that my body (sic - we're talking about brain really, aren't we) doesn't "want" to eat.

The next lines then try to justify it as somehow things being 'seperate' - it's all part of the same thing with the body's natural attempts to 'regulate' calorie intake.
    Remember that if you go back a good number of years the people that could stock up on food when it was available were also more likely to live through the times it wasn't.
  • DamePiglet
    DamePiglet Posts: 3,730 Member
    Options
    Paganstar:
    re: your profile pic... Who do you identify with? The fit woman in the tshirt, or the person who made the caption?

I am interested in the answer to this myself.

Ha ha, how bizarre and creepy. What you wanna psychoanalyse me?

I searched diet meme, thought the woman looked OK if slightly too skinny and the caption made me laugh. I don't identify with either!

The whole point of an avatar is to represent something about you.
    No need to psychoanalyze you... Your posts speak volumes.

BTW: Your avatar is perfectly suited. Good call.
  • msf74
    msf74 Posts: 3,498 Member
    Options
    But please don't suggest that my body (sic - we're talking about brain really, aren't we) doesn't "want" to eat.

Yes, exactly. It is the brain / body connection and how our reliable natural cues get overridden making them fight against each other rather than work in tandem.

I didn't say that the body doesn't want to eat (of course it does) but rather that it doesn't want to over eat consistently (for a host of reasons including the energy cost of digestion.) That is driven more by our ingrained behaviour in the mid brain which ignores, amongst other things, PYY when we have eaten and signals to the brain "time to stop" especially when liver glycogen has been topped up. Our stomachs are not that large and to overfill them constantly is driven by something other than what the body is signalling to the brain unless your hunger hormones have become faulty.

Most of us are born with a perfectly functioning, reliable hunger feedback loops as children. We don't have to think about feeding. When we are hungry we cry to be feed. When full we stop We don't have to think about it or consciously be aware of it. As adults things change. Why is that? We move from internal cues to external cues which are not driven by the body.

Of course this is a massive simplification and I fully accept that...
  • Joannieisgreat
    Options
    THANK YOU FOR RE-FOCUSSING THE DISCUSSION! SOMETIMES, IT REALLY IS MORE COMPLICATED. AND IT IS NICE TO HAVE SOMEONE ELSE SEE THAT, AND ENCOURAGE US TO KEEP TRYING.
  • LiftAllThePizzas
    LiftAllThePizzas Posts: 17,857 Member
    Options
    That and, IT'S TEN POUNDS. Its not a medical emergency. You aren't going to drop dead because it took a few months to lose those last ten pounds.
  • in_the_stars
    in_the_stars Posts: 1,395 Member
    Options
    borrowing from a post last week by rrstraats, thank you. :)
    I love how people keep talking about the laws of Thermodynamics and use only the first law to apply it to humans.. The first law says that work, heat and changes in chemical composition will be constant. People are not like that. You have to use the second law which is a dissipation law which takes into account chemical reactions, changes in Gibbs free energy, ΔG, whose sign predicts the direction of reaction, and whose magnitude indicates the maximum amount of work realizable from the reaction.

Basically different things you eat are burned differently do to chemical composition and the way your body processes it. It will never be as simple as calories in/calories out no mater how many times people chant about it on here.

That being said.. you still need a calorie deficit to lose weight..

also
    Life as defined on this planet is cell based and self organizing. The means of self organization is regulated by the inheritance of genetic traits. Traits have variation between them. Therefore at any given time some combination of traits will tend to provide an advantageous difference in reproduction. Over time this will tend to increase the specific combination of traits in the population so they become more frequent.

Evolution is the change within a population of the frequency of the various alleles in the genome. Errors in crossover and duplication constantly add mutations plus there are mechanisms for lateral transmission of DNA. This makes evolution the basic response of life with imperfectly copied heritable traits inevitable.
  • geebusuk
    geebusuk Posts: 3,348 Member
    Options
    Plenty of kids can be seen crying because they want to eat MORE and hopefully being told they've had enough.

I would suggest, again, that for some a propensity to overeat is ingrained from evolution.
    It can be seen in many animals too, when provided with a plentiful food supply.
    (But not my dog, who's actually really hard to 'feed up' and still looks fairly skinny regardless.)
  • LiftAllThePizzas
    LiftAllThePizzas Posts: 17,857 Member
    Options
    Plenty of kids can be seen crying because they want to eat MORE and hopefully being told they've had enough.

I would suggest, again, that for some a propensity to overeat is ingrained from evolution.
    It can be seen in many animals too, when provided with a plentiful food supply.
    (But not my dog, who's actually really hard to 'feed up' and still looks fairly skinny regardless.)
    That and a predisposition to overeating does not affect reproduction rates. If we had predators and being slow from overeating became a liability (or something similar) then there might be some reason for a mechanism to more closely regulate intake.

While selection pressure tends to reduce genetic diversity at relevant loci, the absence of selection pressure results in an increase in diversity because novel alleles are not eliminated.