It's NOT always as simple as a deficit

Options
I just wanted to post a note of support, encouragement, and motivation for those who are eating at a deficit and aren't seeing results. I did that for a long time with no weight loss.

For me, it really isn't as simple as calories in vs. calories out. That means it may not be that simple for you either.

But you CAN find what does work (for me, it means I need to make sure that the calories I do eat include more vegetables and less carbs/processed foods) and then you won't feel so discouraged.

Find what works for YOU instead of beating yourself up when what works for "everyone else" doesn't work. When you find that groove, it's a great feeling.

Replies

• Cindyinpg
    Cindyinpg Posts: 3,902 Member
    Options
    But... when you hear hoofbeats, you should think horses, not zebras. For most, it IS as simple as calorie deficit. Usually if a person is not seeing results it is because they are overestimating their exercise calories or underestimating their intake, or both.
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/872212-you-re-probably-eating-more-than-you-think
  • korpinator99
    korpinator99 Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    Totally agree. Fat cannot come from nowhere and if your body is using more calories than you give it, it will have to tap into fat stores to compensate. Cars cannot move without fuel and neither can your body..
    But... when you hear hoofbeats, you should think horses, not zebras. For most, it IS as simple as calorie deficit. Usually if a person is not seeing results it is because they are overestimating their exercise calories or underestimating their intake, or both.
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/872212-you-re-probably-eating-more-than-you-think
  • quixoteQ
    quixoteQ Posts: 484
    Options
    There is no trick to calorie deficits. If you have one, you'll lose weight. For most people it's not a huge chore to guesstimate a TDEE. But if you're having a problem with the equation, that's probably it.
  • kgeyser
    kgeyser Posts: 22,505 Member
    Options
    It really is as simple as deficit (exception: unless you have some kind of medical condition diagnosed by a physician). Look at any of the eating plans people talk about on here, and the one constant is that it creates a deficit. How you choose to get to that deficit varies, but it really is about the numbers. No one on any kind of eating plan can eat at or above maintenance and lose weight.
  • Muddy_Yogi
    Muddy_Yogi Posts: 1,459 Member
    Options

^^^This...most of the time, people THINK they are eating at a deficit but they are actually just over estimating how much they are expending and underestimating how much their intake is. Deficit WILL create a loss...unless of course you have some condition that causes otherwise but that is rare. If that is the case, you should seek medical professional advise.
  • mandikaye
    mandikaye Posts: 72 Member
    Options
    And every single one of you has missed the point of the post.

There ARE people where this isn't the case. Medical issues? Maybe! Other issues, perhaps. EITHER WAY, they (we) need support and motivation too.
  • quixoteQ
    quixoteQ Posts: 484
    Options
    The point wasn't missed. The issue is energy expenditure. And you do have our support . . . or mine, anyway.
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    Options
    I just wanted to post a note of support, encouragement, and motivation for those who are eating at a deficit and aren't seeing results. I did that for a long time with no weight loss.

For me, it really isn't as simple as calories in vs. calories out. That means it may not be that simple for you either.

But you CAN find what does work (for me, it means I need to make sure that the calories I do eat include more vegetables and less carbs/processed foods) and then you won't feel so discouraged.

Find what works for YOU instead of beating yourself up when what works for "everyone else" doesn't work. When you find that groove, it's a great feeling.
    I hear you OP.
  • Muddy_Yogi
    Options
    The point wasn't missed. The issue is energy expenditure. And you do have our support . . . or mine, anyway.

And mine. We are not saying you are not having struggles.
  • Cindyinpg
    Cindyinpg Posts: 3,902 Member
    Options

There ARE people where this isn't the case. Medical issues? Maybe! Other issues, perhaps. EITHER WAY, they (we) need support and motivation too.
    The best support is to suggest the most logical course of action, such weighing your food, logging accurately etc, as that is most often where the issues lie. To flirt around the edges of the problem, will often only make the problem worse.
  • MrGonzo05
    MrGonzo05 Posts: 1,120 Member
    Options

You are not an exception to the second law of thermodynamics. That's what "law" means.
  • cafeaulait7
    cafeaulait7 Posts: 2,459 Member
    Options
    I think the folks who find that lower carb works when other things don't are probably insulin resistant (I am). You don't have to be diabetic to have problems in that area, and it's not very uncommon, particularly in people with extra weight. A lot of doctors don't check for those problems until your BG numbers actually flag you as diabetic, so it really is often undiagnosed.

The fix for it, mainly, is to watch carbs :D So there ya go.
  • Mr_Bad_Example
    Mr_Bad_Example Posts: 2,403 Member
    Options

You're right, OP. They need support and motivation to weigh and measure their food, barring some sort of medical malady.

And maybe this... http://scoobysworkshop.com/accurate-calorie-calculator/
  • RaggedyPond
    RaggedyPond Posts: 1,487 Member
    Options

I'm sure you were eating more than you thought you were.
  • neandermagnon
    neandermagnon Posts: 7,436 Member
    Options

you need to rephrase what you're saying.

it is more difficult for some people to create a deficit than others. That's what you're trying to say. If you eat at a deficit, you lose weight, even with medical issues and everything else, because of the laws of physics. What medical issues (e.g. thyroid issues, PCOS) and similar do is make it more difficult for some people to create a deficit, because the calories out side of the equation isn't where it should be, so they (you) eat the calories the calculators say, but it doesn't work for you because you're burning less than average for your height, weight,a body fat percentage and activity levels. The numbers the calculator gives you are wrong *for you* but calories in v calories out is still true.

thing is, if you say you're eating at a deficit and not losing weight, people are going to come along and tell you that you're wrong.... because if you're not losing you're not at a deficit. Whether the reason is due to a medical/hormonal issue or due to you miscalculating something somewhere along the line is a different question, and it may very well be something medical or hormonal. But no weight loss = not eating at a deficit.

ETA: if the issue is hormonal, then you need to fix that problem before trying to create a deficit, as eating too little can make these problems worse. In these situations you need to get your body to burn more, rather than eating less.
  • cafeaulait7
    cafeaulait7 Posts: 2,459 Member
    Options

you need to rephrase what you're saying.

it is more difficult for some people to create a deficit than others. That's what you're trying to say. If you eat at a deficit, you lose weight, even with medical issues and everything else, because of the laws of physics. What medical issues (e.g. thyroid issues, PCOS) and similar do is make it more difficult for some people to create a deficit, because the calories out side of the equation isn't where it should be, so they (you) eat the calories the calculators say, but it doesn't work for you because you're burning less than average for your height, weight,a body fat percentage and activity levels. The numbers the calculator gives you are wrong *for you* but calories in v calories out is still true.

thing is, if you say you're eating at a deficit and not losing weight, people are going to come along and tell you that you're wrong.... because if you're not losing you're not at a deficit. Whether the reason is due to a medical/hormonal issue or due to you miscalculating something somewhere along the line is a different question, and it may very well be something medical or hormonal. But no weight loss = not eating at a deficit.

I agree with this overall. But carbs and hormonal issues that involve insulin really might be about the insulin (or BG). Just taking Metformin made my weight start dropping off with no other change. (Then it made me sick and my deficit got really high ;) )

But before that I lost several lbs for no other reason except a med to sensitize my insulin. The same effect is probably had by not eating many carbs in my body. Same calories, though. But that is a medical thing, so I completely agree with folks who add medical caveats.
  • jonnythan
    jonnythan Posts: 10,161 Member
    Options
    Tagging.
  • RaggedyPond
    RaggedyPond Posts: 1,487 Member
    Options
    Some people do have legit health reasons inhibiting any weight loss. The majority do not and are looking for an excuse other than their own inaccuracies in logging or calorie expenditure.
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    Options
    I think the folks who find that lower carb works when other things don't are probably insulin resistant (I am). You don't have to be diabetic to have problems in that area, and it's not very uncommon, particularly in people with extra weight. A lot of doctors don't check for those problems until your BG numbers actually flag you as diabetic, so it really is often undiagnosed.

I firmly believe we (especially women) can cycle in and out of insulin resistance as we age.
  • Muddy_Yogi
    Options

I firmly believe we (especially women) can cycle in and out of insulin resistance as we age.

That is a great belief...do you have scientific studies to show this?