RunKeeper vs Endomondo

Options

Replies

• athryn
    athryn Posts: 59
    Options
    I carry my phone and my Garmin GPS unit (etrex 20) when out hiking, and Endomondo is pretty much spot on with my phone, although I have had some issues with it lately where the app will just randomly exit.
  • meerkat70
    meerkat70 Posts: 4,616 Member
    Options
    I've used both and mapmyrun. I've settled on endomondo. There's little in it, I think. I suspect it boils down to which interface you like best. Since they're all free (unless you upgrade to pro), why not just try them all for a few turns, see which you like and then settle.
  • BigDog
    BigDog Posts: 272 Member
    Options
    I recommend Endomondo as well. Been using it for a while and it works great.
  • jofjltncb6
    jofjltncb6 Posts: 34,415 Member
    Options
    I'm primarily using Endomondo currently...but that's going to change if they don't allow direct editing of workout routes. The current workaround of exporting it to a GPX file, importing it into a competing product that allows direct editing (such as Runkeeper), then exporting it from that product and importing it into Endomondo is, well, it's ridiculous. It would be much simpler just to use the product that allows the editing.

(And an example of needing this feature is for bad GPS points that skew a workout. It only takes a couple of these to substantially affect the numbers...and when running a trail (or even an urban area with lots of buildings), it's not unusual.)
  • froeschli
    froeschli Posts: 1,292 Member
    Options
    I use runkeeper, started with mapmyrun and tried runtastic. IMO, your gps doesn't get a signal, it doesn't matter which app you're using. Runkeeper let's me program my intervals easily. And it offers running programs if you want a pre made one. I have some issues with it, but in the end if found it the easiest to use.
    Since GPS coverage here is a bit iffy, I've been looking a the Nike+ shoe sensor. But haven't decided to get one yet. I do calories by HRM, and know distances on my trail close enough to know how I am doing.
  • froeschli
    froeschli Posts: 1,292 Member
    Options
    I'm primarily using Endomondo currently...but that's going to change if they don't allow direct editing of workout routes. The current workaround of exporting it to a GPX file, importing it into a competing product that allows direct editing (such as Runkeeper), then exporting it from that product and importing it into Endomondo is, well, it's ridiculous. It would be much simpler just to use the product that allows the editing.

(And an example of needing this feature is for bad GPS points that skew a workout. It only takes a couple of these to substantially affect the numbers...and when running a trail (or even an urban area with lots of buildings), it's not unusual.)

Good point about the editing capabilities. I wasn't even aware other services didn't have them. When your run is suddenly 25 instead of 10k, it's always good to remove those off points...
  • 3shirts
    3shirts Posts: 294 Member
    Options
    Sorry to revive an old post but I have recently switched from EndoMondo to Runkeeper and, while I like it more (especially the Pebble watch support) it seems to drain the battery faster. Anyone else found that?
  • _Zardoz_
    _Zardoz_ Posts: 3,987 Member
    Options
    I always use runtastic. It seems to be very consistent. I tried endemnodo and I've found it rather buggy.
  • jofjltncb6
    Options
    Sorry to revive an old post but I have recently switched from EndoMondo to Runkeeper and, while I like it more (especially the Pebble watch support) it seems to drain the battery faster. Anyone else found that?

When I tested these separately, I found the battery drain similar...

(...which was important to me since my old iphone's battery life is minimal...)

...but that was several update ago, so no idea if that's still the case.

(Off-topic: how do you like your Pebble?)
  • RunConquerCelebrate
    RunConquerCelebrate Posts: 956 Member
    Options
    I tried Endomondo and was not a fan, I am currently using Runkeeper because it synchs with MFP and I have come to like the App. But I also use NikeApp because I like how I can tag my shoes and keep track of the miles I put in them.
  • jofjltncb6
    Options
    For those who have switched between the two, here's a way to have a complete history on each: tapiriik.com . I just discovered it and started using it today, but am already convinced that it is awesome.

(No affiliation with this free service. I receive no compensation whatsoever if anyone uses this service.)
  • cyruscyrus
    Options
    runkeeper's built in training is getting me half-marathon ready. the ios7 app is great too. the endomondo app is a bit buggier
  • 3shirts
    3shirts Posts: 294 Member
    Options

It's awesome. I was a fan from the kickstarter because they looked at what people want in a watch and made a smartwatch fit round that instead of the other way round. I can see it in full sunlight, swim in it, it's not too chunky and it only needs charging every 4-5 days.
    I have had it a couple of months and now I wouldn't be without it. Having vibrating notifications on your wrist is great, especially if you're somewhere loud where you might miss the ringtone/notification sound. It's also handy to know if you need to get your phone out and deal with it or can ignore it until later. With it being waterproof that is extra useful in the rain.

Back on topic, I found RunKeeper was a bit less accurate with the GPS than EndoMondo. I used it for my cycle to work and it seemed to miss out a big chunk that Endomondo always mapped fine. The result was it thought I had done quarter of the distance in the time and thus gave a really low calorie burn.
    Annoying as the lack of Pebble support is, Endomondo is still my choice.
  • hananah89
    hananah89 Posts: 692 Member
    Options
    thank you all for your comments. i have installed both RunKeeper and Endomondo apps and will probably try both a time or 2 on our local running trail to see which i prefer but i wanted others advice also. and as for that Nike + Running app...i have heard you have to buy the special shoes with the chip in them for that to work. is that the case?

Nope, it works like just any other running app. I like because it'll color code the map based on your pace which you can also see online. Then you can see where you went fastest, the elevation there, etc. The chip for your shoe or the watch just add to the experience pretty much.

ETA: just realized this was an old thread that recently got revived. whoops, oh well.
  • klishtopher
    Options
    Endomondo is amazing I enjoy endomondo more because of all the different options. You can pay the 4.99 to get Pro and that is definitely worth it. Please let us know or me personally which one is best
  • jeffhayes6
    Options
    I cannot say enough great things about RunKeeper. There are tons of great features and if you were to upgrade to Elite (very nominal fee for a year) you get even more! The GPS is pretty accurate, their customer service is top notch, and the features are great. The website companion expands what you can look at even more as well. You can sign up for training plans - 5k, half marathon, full marathon - and at all various levels of where you are at as a runner. You can set goals for mileage, weight loss, distance, etc. You can add your own routes and then select those when you go for a run. There is also goo historical data as well.

I tried a few other apps and really was not anywhere near as satisfied as I am with RunKeeper (no I am not employed by them either, just feel their product is superior). The only other one I would consider a strong second is Strava.
  • jeffhayes6
    Options

It's awesome. I was a fan from the kickstarter because they looked at what people want in a watch and made a smartwatch fit round that instead of the other way round. I can see it in full sunlight, swim in it, it's not too chunky and it only needs charging every 4-5 days.
    I have had it a couple of months and now I wouldn't be without it. Having vibrating notifications on your wrist is great, especially if you're somewhere loud where you might miss the ringtone/notification sound. It's also handy to know if you need to get your phone out and deal with it or can ignore it until later. With it being waterproof that is extra useful in the rain.

Back on topic, I found RunKeeper was a bit less accurate with the GPS than EndoMondo. I used it for my cycle to work and it seemed to miss out a big chunk that Endomondo always mapped fine. The result was it thought I had done quarter of the distance in the time and thus gave a really low calorie burn.
    Annoying as the lack of Pebble support is, Endomondo is still my choice.

Doesn't the pebble watch use bluetooth? that would likely cause a faster drain, especially if you keep your screen on while using RunKeeper.
  • cidalia1973
    cidalia1973 Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    I like them both and have had a heck of a time choosing. My take on it is that Runkeeper offers more features for free that you would have to pay for in Endomondo. If you're a bit more serious about tracking details of your runs and wanna save some money, go with Runkeeper.

On the other hand, I realized that I don't need all the features Runkeeper offers (as a beginning runner), but I really could use the motivational aspect of Endomondo (aside from being able to add friends, there are numerous challenges you can join), so I settled on Endomondo to inspire me to get out there.

I'm still trying to figure out if I can maybe use Runkeeper and sync the runs to Endomondo...that would be perfect!
  • dclark566
    dclark566 Posts: 330 Member
    Options
    I use Runkeeper as well. Have never tried Endomondo....Runkeeper is great!
  • Chewbacca262
    Options
    I used Endomondo for years and just switched to a Runkeeper. I like that RK has training plans for marathons and half marathons. Better yet, it also sync to my other favorite running app- Zombies Run, but that is for another thread.