What do you eat between breakfast and lunch?

Options

Replies

• joyfuljoy65
    joyfuljoy65 Posts: 317 Member
    Options
    It sounds like you really want your lunch at 11am - how about making a 2-part lunch? I usually bring a salad or quinoa/salmon/veggie mix , along with a greek yogurt, lara bar, or fruit. Or bring soup or string cheese! I eat the main part at 12pm, and the yogurt or whatever at 3pm. You could do 11am/2pm or whatever works for you. My whole lunch together is 400-500 calories, so make sure you've got enough calories, healthy fat & protein to keep you full.
    I find greek yogurt really filling; it would be a great AM snack. It's healthier sugar-wise to flavor your own, but I am obsessed with the fage strawberry or cherry cups - they honestly taste like dessert!

I also spread my lunch out over a few hours! I eat something like low fat crisps or granola bar at 11am, main lunch of sandwich, salad or soup at 12.30pm and save my fruit for about 2pm; so my 500 calories keep me going - in fact if I am in a meeting and have to eat it all at once, I struggle!
  • PhearlessPhreaks
    PhearlessPhreaks Posts: 890 Member
    Options
    second breakfast

elevensies!

(sorry, I could not help myself, but for those of you who get the reference, FR me!)
  • otillie03103
    otillie03103 Posts: 107 Member
    Options
    I am starting again on my journey and found that if I split my breakfast protein shake into two smaller servings (ie I have half, take a shower, get my computer booted up at work, then drink the other half) it tends to keep me fuller longer. I usually don't have any difficulty getting to lunch without staying satisfied. If I really need something I have a medium cage free organic hard boiled egg or a handful of almonds and some water.
  • tashamoulds
    Options
    A breakfast sandwich and coffee. Not a large one but a little one. Some toasted English muffin, a little cream cheese (I don't use mayo because it's gross to me.), some scrambled egg, 1 sausage patty, and some hasbrowns. That might seem large but I eat a small first breakfast and I tried just eating a small snack like a banana or peanuts but my metabolism burns through those in under an hour (and with my schedule I can't small meals every few hours.)
  • Ashevillesinger
    Options
    Small handful of nuts - unsalted almonds or walnuts, some kind of fruit (banana, orange).
  • wibbley74
    wibbley74 Posts: 80 Member
    Options
    it's too early to eat when i get up, for me, so i tend to eat my porridge at my desk around 9.30 ish and then have a black coffee at 11am

that sees me through until lunch and makes the gap between food shorter

on the weekend i will have breakfast around 10.30 ish if i am out and about or normal time if i am at home
  • SarahxApple
    SarahxApple Posts: 166 Member
    Options
    Have a drink sometimes your body says it's hungry when it's thirsty or apples they are good for slowly releasing/maintaining bllod sugars.
  • daliyanin
    daliyanin Posts: 93 Member
    Options
    I eat every 3ish hours so always have a snack before lunch. It varies, depending on what i have at home. Today I'll have a rice cake with 2tbsp of almond butter with sliced strawberries on top.
  • blgmw2
    blgmw2 Posts: 171 Member
    Options
    I just had half a sweet potato and 1/2 cup of cottage cheese. I don't always eat in between meals but I was starving today. Lol!
  • Amazonbella
    Options
    Trail mix that I make and portion out: Dried cranberries, walnuts and white chocolate morsels...it's just enough to tie me over. I wake up at 5:30am, eat and usually take lunch at 11:30 or 12noon---so this little hit does the trick :)
  • imjolly
    imjolly Posts: 176 Member
    Options
    Fruit or a crunchy rice roll or nuts and if that is not enough I'll eat lunch early.
  • skinnyokie67
    Options
    Try a protein bar and a apple. That way the protein bar is keeping you full till lunch. Then in the afternoon try another type of protein and either fruit or some type of vegetables. That way you are getting fiber and protein and those both keep you full. .
  • klr6
    klr6 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I generally don't eat anything between breakfast and lunch but if I happen to have something on-hand at work it's fruit or a granola bar.
  • Kathe2
    Kathe2 Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    At 10AM I have 1/2 cup cottage cheese and 10 blackberries.
  • sarahenagy
    sarahenagy Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    I am a teacher and go several hours between breakfast and lunch also. And I go even longer between lunch and dinner. I have 15 almonds, 100 calories and shockingly filling, between breakfast and lunch. I usually do an apple sliced up with a little peanut butter smeared on each slice after school (about 150 calories). It's a little bit sweet, very filling, and keeps the after-school binging at bay.
  • LoosingMyLast15
    LoosingMyLast15 Posts: 1,457 Member
    Options
    Hi!

I started my first job 2 weeks ago. My life has changed from being an active student, to sitting all day, and waking up early, and fitting exercise into my schedule with my long commute.

I have to wake up at 6AM, eat breakfast around 7AM (2 eggs, and 2 toast). I find myself lightheaded at work by 11AM. It is too early for lunch, but a snack doesn't seem enough. Sometimes I end up eating my lunch at this time, but then get hungry again by 3:30-4PM. And then I feel lightheaded during my commute home. To avoid this, I end up eating chilli and bagel around that time. But then, I am not really hungry for dinner, and do not end up eating much (maybe 1/4 cup rice and some veggies)

My question is, what can you eat between breakfast and lunch that is more than a snack, but not unhealthy? I was thinking oatmeal? Anyone else have this issue of waking up early, and getting super hungry before lunch time? What do you do?

my morning snacks vary - today was a banana. yesterday, greek yogurt and a banana, the day before i didn't have a snack because i had a big breakfast. sometimes i'll have a protein bar, sometimes string cheese. last week i made my own trail mix of dried cranberries, slivered almonds, caramel bites, raisins and coconut slivers. i usually have my snack around 10:30 then i hit the gym at 12:30 then i have lunch.
  • lamps1303
    lamps1303 Posts: 432 Member
    Options
    It depends what your calorie requirements are for the day. My days are usually:

With 6am workout:
    5.30am half banana
    7.30am half banana and protein shake
    9.30am breakfast - either hard boiled egg and slice of toast or 2 ryvita with peanut butter
    11.30am healthy cereal/protein bar (MP MAX Elle Virtue bar or Nakd bar)
    12.30/1pm lunch (chicken salad wrap or quinoa with tuna and veg)
    3.30pm satsuma or 12.5g raw almonds
    6.30pm dinner (e.g. turkey with sweet potato and veg)

Rest day/evening workout
    7am breakfast
    11.30am healthy cereal/protein bar (MP MAX Elle Virtue bar or Nakd bar)
    12.30/1pm lunch (chicken salad wrap or quinoa with tuna and veg)
    3.30pm satsuma or 12.5g raw almonds
    6.30pm (about 8pm on evening workout days with protein shake) dinner (e.g. turkey with sweet potato and veg)

This is all within 1200-1400 calories
  • apryljean81
    Options
    I usually do a piece of fruit and PB2 (peanut butter substitute) or a greek yogert. Both have protein and can help hold you over until lunch. Also be sure to drink plenty of water. That can help as well! Good luck! :)
  • SchroederNJ
    SchroederNJ Posts: 208 Member
    Options
    no expert - but if you are getting lightheaded twice a day, you definitely aren't eating enough

however, agree with other snack suggestions - fruit, yogurt, 100 calorie packs, trail mix, nuts, etc.
  • crystalfisher89
    crystalfisher89 Posts: 196 Member
    Options
    I actually use a method that I like to call graze which keeps me from never getting too hungry. Usually my breakfast is something like overnight oats, eggs, cereal... something of that idea. My before lunch snack is usually two lower calorie items but with an hour spaced between. Today it was a banana oatmeal muffin (three ingredients) and half a kale/almond milk/peach shake. The kale shake equals out to 100 calories for half a serving- only because of the peaches. Lunch will be leftover biscuits and gravy at 12:15 and I'll finish the remainder of my kale shake before leaving work at 3:45. Then I have a protein shake immediately after my cardio or weight lifting session and head home to eat dinner which is usually protein packed with carbs as well. Today it's homemade goulash. Feel free to graze my dairy for ideas.

I set my daily caloric intake at 1800 calories and I haven't gained any weight and am slowly losing actually. Try to sit down the night before and preplan your day to have snacks, but if you're hungry, make sure you're eating snacks! There are so many great ideas such as hummus and pita chips, yogurt, mozzarella cheese stick, etc. Also make sure you are drinking the right amount of water. I usually drink roughly about a gallon of water a day and I think that helps a lot with my hunger pangs too because the body often confuses thirst for hunger. Also studies show that healthy snacks between meals keeps your metabolism going nice and strong.

Good luck :)