Binge :((((

Options
It might not seem a lot but I have been eating completely clean for nearly 3 weeks now (that is unbelievable for me because i am literally addicted to food) and last night I had the hugest ugliest binge ever and I literally ate everything I had (i'm at uni). So I was so mad and upset with myself but I got up this morning and decided not to feel sorry for myself but instead to work extra hard, which I did up until lunch and then I cracked AGAIN. ahhhhhhhhhhhhh and now I feel like complete crap and just can't focus on anything or get anything done and all I keep thinking about is eating more. I can't seem to get the balance right, I am all or nothing for some reason, so when I'm eating healthy I won't touch anything remotely unhealthy until I crack (which is inevitable...it's happened before but not this bad). I don't know what to do I feel so helpless and mad and I don't want to repeat this again. I've lost about 9lbs so far in just under 3 weeks but I feel like i've just put it all on again in these last few days. Should I just give up on the diet? I can't remember why I started anyway: food always wins :(

Replies

• Skarlet13
    Skarlet13 Posts: 146 Member
    Options
    If you have too high of a calorie deficit that could be why.
  • STC1188
    STC1188 Posts: 101 Member
    Options
    Eat what you like in moderation. It sounds like the classic deprivation problem where people cut out all of something and then binge because of the mental fortitude required for such a feat.
  • WBB55
    WBB55 Posts: 4,131 Member
    Options
    I try to prevent binges by never being hungry or starving myself. I eat a reasonable amount all day, every day. That isn't to say I don't slip sometimes. I do. But the next day I just start again.

If you're depriving yourself too much, you'll crave food. Don't do that.
  • PolacaFL
    PolacaFL Posts: 213 Member
    Options
    I try to prevent binges by never being hungry or starving myself. I eat a reasonable amount all day, every day. That isn't to say I don't slip sometimes. I do. But the next day I just start again.

If you're depriving yourself too much, you'll crave food. Don't do that.

This
  • sillyvalentine
    sillyvalentine Posts: 460 Member
    Options
    I used to binge but now I just think...would a skinny person do this? What would a skinny person do? Then I try to do that.
  • rondaj05
    rondaj05 Posts: 497 Member
    Options
    Eat what you like in moderation. It sounds like the classic deprivation problem where people cut out all of something and then binge because of the mental fortitude required for such a feat.

^This! I don't have as much of a problem with food, I like to have a glass of wine or cocktail from time to time, I just figure out how to make it work within my calories and work outs and I log it.

It's not supposed to be a diet, it's supposed to be a lifestyle change and be sustainable. Well, for me it is anyway. :flowerforyou:
  • BecciJoWilding
    BecciJoWilding Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    allow yourself to eat the foods you want and stay within your calories. I eat healthy overall (100% whole wheat and pasta lean meats, fruits and veggies) but I love love love chocolate and icecream. I let myself have a little treat in the afternoon and after dinner. I use to be the all or nothing dieter too and would find myself binging a lot. The way I am doing it now is teaching me portion control. With my afternoon snack I have one or two pieces of chocolate and it's usually under 100 calories and I usually have it after something healthy (not a full bar). Or I use a food scale and measure out a serving size of icecream. If I do eat a full bar of chocolate cause it's just one of those days, I regret it later cause I find myself hungry because the non filling chocolate bar took up too many calories, so I rarely have those days. I use to couldn't have any sweets in my house cause I would just binge but now I have a treat cupboard of a few of my favorites that I allow myself some of. It's also teaching my kids it's ok to have a little but don't need a lot, cause you'll get a little tomorrow too. When I use to keep all sweets out of the house I would find my kids over indulging in anything sweet when they were around it. That is not a healthy lifestyle.
  • JesterMFP
    JesterMFP Posts: 3,596 Member
    Options
    Stop looking at life in such extremes. Stop doing really restrictive diets - either too low in calories or cutting out certain foods. Stop beating yourself up when you do binge. Forgive yourself and move on. Dieting is a major cause of binge eating. Your ticker says you have only 15 lbs to lose, so you should be on a very small calorie deficit (ie. not a very low amount of calories). Tell MFP you want to lose 0.5 lbs a week, keep eating the foods you like within that calorie goal, and eat your exercise calories back. If binging is something that's a significant problem in your life, consider getting some professional help in the form of counselling or therapy, if you don't already.
  • WBB55
    Options
    i've just put it all on again in these last few days.

ok. calm down. be reasonable. To gain 9 lbs in 3 days you will need to have eaten 10,500 calories each day above maintenance.

(1) I don't believe you ate like 37,500 calories in 3 days. That is 32 large frozen cheese pizzas.
    (2) IF YOU DID eat 37,500 calories in 3 days, please see a doctor.
    (3) IF YOU DID NOT eat 11 frozen pizzas each day for 3 days, STOP BEATING YOURSELF UP. Pick yourself. Dust yourself off, and start again tomorrow.
  • editorgrrl
    editorgrrl Posts: 7,060 Member
    Options
    Eat "good" or "clean" or "healthy" (whatever those words mean to you) 80% of the time. Fit yummy, portion-controlled treats into your calorie goal. Deprivation can lead to binges.

Read this: http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1080242-a-guide-to-get-you-started-on-your-path-to-Sexypants
  • nightcheeselemon
    Options
    Thanks everyone, I know I need to find the right balance it's just harder than it sounds for me. I think the reason for my binges are because i go completely without the things i like for a while and then i just go crazy.
  • favoritenut
    favoritenut Posts: 217 Member
    Options
    I used to binge but now I just think...would a skinny person do this? What would a skinny person do? Then I try to do that.

sorry but skinny people binge too.

I have binged also, now I try to eat the foods I binge on in moderation. to be honest, it doesn't always work, there are days when I cave, but I find that I don't do it as often. so if you are binging on chips, add them to your diet, or chocolate, add them into your daily calories. If you change your relationship with food you will do much better. I've learned that food is not the enemy, it's my mind...once you get in control of your mind, you can overcome anything!
  • nightcheeselemon
    Options
    Thank you :)
  • jamiebrown81
    Options
    I have been trying to make an effort to eat clean as well. It's hard for me b/c I am used to eating fast food multiple times a week. Don't beat yourself up. You do need to focus on what you truly want. It's not the food you want, it's something else. Don't be your own bully. Mistakes and bad choices are made but you have the opportunity to learn from this!
  • maanders
    maanders Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    It might not seem a lot but I have been eating completely clean for nearly 3 weeks now (that is unbelievable for me because i am literally addicted to food) and last night I had the hugest ugliest binge ever and I literally ate everything I had (i'm at uni). So I was so mad and upset with myself but I got up this morning and decided not to feel sorry for myself but instead to work extra hard, which I did up until lunch and then I cracked AGAIN. ahhhhhhhhhhhhh and now I feel like complete crap and just can't focus on anything or get anything done and all I keep thinking about is eating more. I can't seem to get the balance right, I am all or nothing for some reason, so when I'm eating healthy I won't touch anything remotely unhealthy until I crack (which is inevitable...it's happened before but not this bad). I don't know what to do I feel so helpless and mad and I don't want to repeat this again. I've lost about 9lbs so far in just under 3 weeks but I feel like i've just put it all on again in these last few days. Should I just give up on the diet? I can't remember why I started anyway: food always wins :(

I could have written this myself. The exact same thing happened to me yesterday and today. Completely clean eating for three weeks, 8 lbs lost, and then yesterday I overdid it on stupid girl scout cookies. Tried to get back on track this morning and then I totally binged at a company lunch. Trying really hard to drag myself out of this mental slump...but it is tough!!!

Hang in there...and definently don't give up!!! <Saying this to myself as much as to the OP>
  • nightcheeselemon
    Options
    allow yourself to eat the foods you want and stay within your calories. I eat healthy overall (100% whole wheat and pasta lean meats, fruits and veggies) but I love love love chocolate and icecream. I let myself have a little treat in the afternoon and after dinner. I use to be the all or nothing dieter too and would find myself binging a lot. The way I am doing it now is teaching me portion control. With my afternoon snack I have one or two pieces of chocolate and it's usually under 100 calories and I usually have it after something healthy (not a full bar). Or I use a food scale and measure out a serving size of icecream. If I do eat a full bar of chocolate cause it's just one of those days, I regret it later cause I find myself hungry because the non filling chocolate bar took up too many calories, so I rarely have those days. I use to couldn't have any sweets in my house cause I would just binge but now I have a treat cupboard of a few of my favorites that I allow myself some of. It's also teaching my kids it's ok to have a little but don't need a lot, cause you'll get a little tomorrow too. When I use to keep all sweets out of the house I would find my kids over indulging in anything sweet when they were around it. That is not a healthy lifestyle.

I have about the same stats as you so it is encouraging knowing someone else has beaten it :) My problem is I just don't know when to stop once I start binging. How did you overcome it? I just can't seem to change....I feel like if I eat a small bit of something bad one day I may as well eat whatever I want. I know it doesn't work like that but my mind doesn't want to let me think otherwise! sorry for the rant!! congrats on your weight loss so far :)
  • colson72687
    Options
    I literally have had this same situation happen to myself today at lunch and feel awful about it. I know exactly what you mean and have struggled just as hard. You can do it and just allow yourself to eat certain foods that you crave (for me pasta and a little chocolate) every once in a while, but just make sure not to go overboard by filling up on other things with it that are healthy for you (ie lots of veggies and protein in my pasta). You'll get back on track the next day and after a few days, you'll forget all about it. I am trying to practice what I preach as I write this response, so hopefully we can both have a better day tomorrow....it's always a new day! Good luck.
  • fitformidlife
    Options
    It's very tempting to use a binge as an excuse to quit, but don't fall into that trap. Instead, view it as a sign that something needs adjustment. The posters here have some great suggestions on what that might be. One day doesn't have to destroy you unless you let it. It could mark a return to old bad habits, or it could be a turning point with a valuable lesson. It's up to you which one it turns out to be.
  • WBB55
    Options
    i go completely without the things i like for a while and then i just go crazy.

Then don't go without.
  • WBB55
    Options
    i go completely without the things i like for a while and then i just go crazy.