Is it okay to eat Extra Lean Ground Beef everyday?

Options
I like to have Chili for my lunch, I feel like it's perfect to get some veggies in, some protein and I cook it in my slow cooker on the weekend and I'm set all week.

I have tried Extra Lean Ground Turkey and it is DIGUSTING, no matter what I do to mask the taste, I just hate it.
I know it's less calories and has less fat...but I just can't.

I get Extra Lean Ground Beef (90/10), is that bad to eat everyday?

All these health experts recommend turkey bacon, ground turkey blah blah. But it's just gross.

Replies

• TomfromNY
    TomfromNY Posts: 100 Member
    Options
    No its not bad. Why not eat 80/20? Looking at your diary, there would be no problem if you had a little more fat (and maybe reduce the carbs to keep the same calorie level).

Agree that minced turkey/chicken is gross.
  • LuLuChick78
    LuLuChick78 Posts: 439 Member
    Options
    IIFYM
  • JTick
    JTick Posts: 2,131 Member
    Options
    No food is bad. There are simply foods that fit in your goals for the day and foods that do not. If you make room to eat beef every day, go for it!
  • fishnbrah
    fishnbrah Posts: 550
    Options
    lean elk burger everyday for me
  • kristarablue2
    kristarablue2 Posts: 386 Member
    Options
    Nope...sounds good to me! I actually buy 96/4 because I want the reduced calories...Love me some beef!
  • fatfudgery
    fatfudgery Posts: 449 Member
    Options
    Eating lean ground beef more than two days in a row gives you cancer.

FACT.
  • sarapopefitness
    sarapopefitness Posts: 52 Member
    Options
    No food is bad. There are simply foods that fit in your goals for the day and foods that do not. If you make room to eat beef every day, go for it!

Three cheers for this response!
  • Fitnin6280
    Fitnin6280 Posts: 618 Member
    Options
    Yea, I am not a fan of the ground turkey or chicken either. I have eaten lien ground beef 3-5 times a week for the last 8 months, and have lost 64 lbs. Also my blood levels are better than they have been in 10 + years.
  • stefaniemazz
    stefaniemazz Posts: 179 Member
    Options

FACT.

Are you being sarcastic or being serious?
  • VictoriaDarleneGale
    Options
    I'm with you on the ground turkey, blech! Ground chicken is a little better imho. I dont mind the turkey bacon though, that saves me some calories.
  • astronomicals
    astronomicals Posts: 1,537 Member
    Options
    Wolf Brand Turkey Chili.... Yum!

but eat ya beef
  • JTick
    JTick Posts: 2,131 Member
    Options

FACT.

Are you being sarcastic or being serious?

Supah serious. :indifferent:
  • LuLuChick78
    LuLuChick78 Posts: 439 Member
    Options
    I actually love lean ground turkey. I fry it with some medium or hot salsa mixed it, serve with some baked sweet potato and it is yum!
  • kacarter1017
    kacarter1017 Posts: 651 Member
    Options
    Make vegetarian chili- it is SO good! Lots of beans, onion, peppers, tomatoes, some quinoa(cooked). From a cancer and heart disease risk, eating red meat every day is not the best for you. In fact, once a week or less is the recommendation.
  • stefaniemazz
    stefaniemazz Posts: 179 Member
    Options
    Make vegetarian chili- it is SO good! Lots of beans, onion, peppers, tomatoes, some quinoa(cooked). From a cancer and heart disease risk, eating red meat every day is not the best for you. In fact, once a week or less is the recommendation.

But people say that isn't true...

Which is it?
  • butterfli7o
    butterfli7o Posts: 1,319 Member
    Options
    Extra lean ground turkey is SO dry. I prefer lean turkey or lean ground beef. Nothing wrong with some healthy animal fat, I promise. :wink:
  • TomfromNY
    TomfromNY Posts: 100 Member
    Options

But people say that isn't true...

Which is it?

I wouldn't get worked up with the government 'recommendations'. The old food pyramid used to recommend 6-11 servings of grains (as if eating 11 servings of pasta a day is going to be healthy).

If you can maintain a healthy weight and your cholesterol levels are good, you'll be fine.
  • mmm_drop
    mmm_drop Posts: 1,126 Member
    Options
    Mmm, beef. It's what's for dinner.
  • amaysngrace
    amaysngrace Posts: 742 Member
    Options

FACT.

Well, my grandma eats beef, pork, chicken and turkey and she is 81 and she does not have cancer. Betty White eats junk and she does not have cancer. That's a FACT.
  • fvfitday
    fvfitday Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I eat bison regularly:

Bison are no longer an endangered species. There are now more than 400,000 bison in North America.
    Bison meat has fewer calories and less cholesterol than chicken, fish or ostrich.
    Bison has 35% more protein than beef so you can eat 1/3 less volume and still come away satisfied.
    Bison has much less fat than beef so that you get much more edible meat for your money.
    Many brands are fed only natural feeds and are NEVER given steroids or hormones.
    Bison was the main diet of the Plains Indians who never had cancer, never had heart disease or heart attacks, and lived to be 85-90.