I am SO hungry!

Options
2»

Replies

• austinsneeze
    austinsneeze Posts: 222 Member
    Options
    I'd be starving at 1200 calories too... What are you going to do at maintenance? You're going to end up maintaining at 1600 instead of 2000+.. It's sad.

I use http://scoobysworkshop.com/calorie-calculator/ instead of MFP, and you're supposed to eat exercise calories back with MFP, by the way.

Well, yeah, YOU would be starving at 1200 calories, because your TDEE-20% appears to be roughly 1430 calories assuming no exercise. She *may* be a few inches shorter than you, which would make 1200 more reasonable for her. HOWEVER, if she just choose 1200 based on the standard MFP minimum, then it may not be appropriate for her height, etc.

I agree on Scooby, though

It said my caloric intake should be 1456 daily with TDEE-20%
  • Christinelmt78
    Options
    Your a female, is it coming up in that time of the month or ovulation? I will eat myself out of house and home during that time.. It's horrible.. Just a thought..
  • karlospiklington
    karlospiklington Posts: 143 Member
    Options
    This sounds like patronising advice, but if you are hungry then you need to eat more. I have had times when my calorie allowance wasn't enough and I ate more and still lost a pound a week. Maybe you're burning more than you think through exercise or your food is fewer calories than you think. I haven't been hungry the whole time I've been doing this and have lost weight steadily.
  • WhiteRabbit1313
    WhiteRabbit1313 Posts: 1,091 Member
    Options
    I'd be starving at 1200 calories too... What are you going to do at maintenance? You're going to end up maintaining at 1600 instead of 2000+.. It's sad.

I use http://scoobysworkshop.com/calorie-calculator/ instead of MFP, and you're supposed to eat exercise calories back with MFP, by the way.

Well, yeah, YOU would be starving at 1200 calories, because your TDEE-20% appears to be roughly 1430 calories assuming no exercise. She *may* be a few inches shorter than you, which would make 1200 more reasonable for her. HOWEVER, if she just choose 1200 based on the standard MFP minimum, then it may not be appropriate for her height, etc.

So, 20% below TDEE is 1456? That sounds like it solves this one. No need to starve yourself. Eat a little more nutrient dense foods, hit your target, and keep losing. ;-)
  • jessieboyd12
    jessieboyd12 Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    I know exactly how you feel! I was doing great until I got laid off and with the holidays just passing a month and 2 ago I can not get back on track. I'm going to try very hard tomorrow and really stick to it. I have gained 7 pounds and am SUPER mad at myself
  • FreshKrisKreash
    FreshKrisKreash Posts: 444 Member
    Options
    Maybe if you work out early in the morning and drink lots of water you won't feel the need to eat as much.
  • xscat
    xscat Posts: 80 Member
    Options
    Totally relate... My appetite goes yo-yo too. Sometimes 1200kcal absolutely fills me up; sometimes I eat 2000kcal by lunch and I get hungry again at 3:30pm...

No idea why, but over a more aggregated period of time my calorie-in and calorie-out are pretty stable... So if you are not starving yourself (depends on your stats), your appetite hopefully will go back to normal soon :)
  • pds06
    pds06 Posts: 299 Member
    Options
    I agree with others saying 1200 is too low. Most people are not going to stick with that long term.
    It's more realistic to go slow and steady forever then fast for short term.
    I joined back in 2010 and lost 30 lbs in about 4 months. I maintained for over a 2 years but I just can't stick with it forever.
  • sarahstrezo
    sarahstrezo Posts: 568 Member
    Options
    OP, how much do you have left to lose? If you are pretty close to goal weight, you might want to reconsider a 20% decrease off of TDEE and instead go with 15% or even 10%.
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    Options

So, 20% below TDEE is 1456? That sounds like it solves this one. No need to starve yourself. Eat a little more nutrient dense foods, hit your target, and keep losing. ;-)

This. With MFP you're supposed to eat back exercise calories.. so you should probably eat around that anyway. 1200 is too low for most people really. I've been using TDEE-20% for months and I've lost really nicely... and I don't believe I'm a special snowflake.

That being said, I'm always starving a week or so before TOM too, so it could be it.