Mystery of the fat vegan

Options
1235»

Replies

• neanderthin
    neanderthin Posts: 10,021 Member
    Options
    To everyone. I am an animal rights vegan. I have been 100% vegan since 1999 and was lacto ovo vegetarian then just lacto veg from 1976 (yes, 76!) to 1999. It's really important to keep terms legitimate. If you eat any dead flesh from any dead creature, you are NOT a vegetarian. You are an omnivore. Calling yourself vegetarian only ruins it for real vegetarians who are trying to make restaurants more vegetarian friendly. You can not say "I'd like the salmon because I'm vegetarian. No. You are not. If you never eat any mammal or fowl, and you only eat fish, do the vegetarians of the world a big favor and call yourself an omnivore or a pescatarian. Let's make this perfectly clear. If it's a dead animal, it's not vegetarian. Fish is not a vegetable or fruit. OK. Vegan. Vegans never, and I mean NEVER, eat animals or any of their byproducts and excretions. So, if you eat 95% plants and 5% dairy or eggs, you are not a vegan. You are a vegetarian. I realize I sound like the vegan police but the USA and much of the planet is getting much more vegetarian and vegan friendly and the words have gone mainstream. It's vital to have the words used correctly so that food manufacturers, cooks, chefs, and restaurants get it right. When we see the V on packaging, we want to know it's truly vegan. I know so many folks think it's hip/trendy to call themselves vegetarian or vegan but you either are or you are not. There are no shades of gray here. Just because I have taken a few anatomy and physiology classes does NOT make me a doctor. If you eat animals, be honest and call yourself an omnivore. If you eat only plant food plus excretions from undead animals, you're a vegetarian. Hooray. But don't call yourself a vegetarian or vegan until you are 100%. It undermines the cause and hurts those of us who are 100%. Big love. AmyVegan
    How many are actually 100% vegan....apparently 1 in a 1000 and that's from vegan sources. I do understand your stance but I personally find labels to be pretty ambiguous.
  • skimbo82
    skimbo82 Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    This might be a daft question or already been answered but...

Is pasta really vegan? Given that traditionally pasta is made with flour and eggs? Are dried pasta or fresh chilled made with other ingredients? Haven't checked packaging before myself because I'm not vegan but the thought just occurred to me when I seen this thread...
  • neanderthin
    neanderthin Posts: 10,021 Member
    Options
    This might be a daft question or already been answered but...

Is pasta really vegan? Given that traditionally pasta is made with flour and eggs? Are dried pasta or fresh chilled made with other ingredients? Haven't checked packaging before myself because I'm not vegan but the thought just occurred to me when I seen this thread...
    Pasta that use eggs are generally referred to as noodles Fresh pasta can be made with or without eggs and most hard imported pasta from Italy is mostly vegan, but you have to look at the ingredients to be sure. The laws in Italy are pretty tight and pasta can only be made a certain ways.
  • skimbo82
    skimbo82 Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    Maybe its different in the UK because as far as I was aware pasta is just pasta but in its many forms (lasagne, penne, macaroni, spaghetti etc), and noodles are something totally different, like those used in Chinese or Thai food.

Going home to check dried pasta packets now to satisfy my curiosity! (nothing better to do with my evening apparently...) :smile:
  • unmelodicgenius
    unmelodicgenius Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Vegan police everywhere on this thread. It 'hurts' you when other people are striving to be vegan and therefore say they're vegan in restaurants in order to be served the correct thing?

I've never heard such bullsh*t in my life. You might be 100% vegan, but you're also an absolute douche. I can completely comprehend why someone saying 'I'm a vegetarian so I'll have scallops' might cause consternation, but for those who are trying hard to adopt a vegan lifestyle - let them call it what they want. It's people like the vegan police who put off those considering a vegan diet. It's accusatory and unfair.