Horizon- sugar v fat BBC2

Options

Replies

• tennisdude2004
    tennisdude2004 Posts: 5,609 Member
    Options
    Your right the carbs you get from veggies, fruit etc. are excellent for the body due to the vitamins and nutrients and to over do these carbs you need to each whopping portions.

I would add that- yes! the carbs to avoid are refined, but in particular GRAIN, whole grain and all the other ones. They do nothing for us!!!
  • tennisdude2004
    Options
    I'm new to myfitnesspal. Does that graph under your comment mean you've lost 138lb - if so - well done (major hats off to you)!!!!
  • geebusuk
    geebusuk Posts: 3,348 Member
    Options
    Yes, the body needs carbs to survive, however it needs the "correct" carbs to really get adequate nutrition. Carbs exist in all veggies, and these are much better options that what most of us reach for. Bread, pasta, chips, crackers, cookies, snack packs, etc. Sure, carbs from breads, pasta, rice etc are fine in the short term. But the vast majority of us choose to eat those products consisting of refined carbs. The germ is stripped off the wheat before being ground into flour, thus stripping off the fiber and other nutrients. Most times you see vitamin additives on the label, it signals that the carbs have been processed and nutrients stripped out. Those processed carbs are easily digested, spiking blood sugar and causing an insulin reaction. The insulin will cause the body to dump all that sugar into fat stores quickly to keep the blood sugar level down. Once the blood sugar crashes due to overproduction of insulin, the brain will signal that it's hungry and needs more energy, which then causes the person to look for more snack containing carbs. It ends up being a downward spiral. Over time, insulin over-production will eventually cause the person to become insulin resistant, and may end up causing pre-diabetes or even full blown diabetes if left unchecked.

So, in the end, the statement, "Carbs are bad!" is over generalized. It should read, "Refined carbs are bad!"
    Citation, please.

Here's an article with links to a variety of articles showing that if you are a healthy individual, the type of carbs you eat don't make any difference.
    http://www.simplyshredded.com/the-science-of-nutrition-is-a-carb-a-carb.html
    However, likely will make a difference if you ARE obese.

I've looked into fibre and what not having it causes. I don't worry so much these days if I do or don't get it.
  • tennisdude2004
    Options
    Yes, the body needs carbs to survive, however it needs the "correct" carbs to really get adequate nutrition. Carbs exist in all veggies, and these are much better options that what most of us reach for. Bread, pasta, chips, crackers, cookies, snack packs, etc. Sure, carbs from breads, pasta, rice etc are fine in the short term. But the vast majority of us choose to eat those products consisting of refined carbs. The germ is stripped off the wheat before being ground into flour, thus stripping off the fiber and other nutrients. Most times you see vitamin additives on the label, it signals that the carbs have been processed and nutrients stripped out. Those processed carbs are easily digested, spiking blood sugar and causing an insulin reaction. The insulin will cause the body to dump all that sugar into fat stores quickly to keep the blood sugar level down. Once the blood sugar crashes due to overproduction of insulin, the brain will signal that it's hungry and needs more energy, which then causes the person to look for more snack containing carbs. It ends up being a downward spiral. Over time, insulin over-production will eventually cause the person to become insulin resistant, and may end up causing pre-diabetes or even full blown diabetes if left unchecked.

So, in the end, the statement, "Carbs are bad!" is over generalized. It should read, "Refined carbs are bad!"
    Citation, please.

Here's an article with links to a variety of articles showing that if you are a healthy individual, the type of carbs you eat don't make any difference.

I've looked into fibre and what not having it causes. I don't worry so much these days if I do or don't get it.

A very well written article. Most people that are healthy have some form of activity in their lives, whether that's high movement at work, walk/cycle a lot, do gym training or just play a lot, which means that a regulated intake of carbs will be burned off anyway as opposed to stored in their fat cells as excess glycogen.

The problem is that a lot of people are under active (or do the wrong sort of activity) i.e. a moderate amount of low level cardio, added to the fact that they cannot control their carb intake.

Also you get a lot of nutrients, vitamins and fibre from the unprocessed carbs (such as veggies, fruit,). I think eating only processed carbs or grains will lead to increased LDL's and probably at some point a nice bout of IBS!!!!

However I think the article is aimed at the fit and healthy and is probably preaching to the converted anyway.
  • tennisdude2004
    Options
    I watched it all and was skeptical that it wasn't going to reveal anything groundbreaking, but it was actually very interesting, particularly the experiments with the cheesecake (fat and sugar) and the rats. And who doesn't like cheesecake?

We all know fat doesn't make us fat and we all know the body NEEDS carbs in order to simply function. I found it ironic that these so called bodybuilding ridiculously low carb diets, that they are actually burning muscle mass as well as fat!

Just to make a point about your comment that the body needs carbs to survive. No it doesn't! The body manufactures its own glycogen through the liver (daily).

However it does need carbs to be balanced and healthy. It is advisable to consume around 100 - 150g of carbs daily. With the rest of your calorie intact coming from fat based foods (just not trans facts or any other manufactured version of).
  • csmccord
    csmccord Posts: 272 Member
    Options
    I'm new to myfitnesspal. Does that graph under your comment mean you've lost 138lb - if so - well done (major hats off to you)!!!!

Thanks! It sure does mean I've lost that much. I'm 5'9 and I've gone from 340 to 201.8. I had hypertension and sleep apnea. Both were gone after the first 6 months. I went from a men's size 48 pants, and XXXL shirts, down to a 34 pants and L shirts.

How did I lose it you ask? I cut bread, rice, and pasta out of my diet and gradually increased my exercise. Well, okay, I'll be honest. I've cut rice and pasta completely out of my diet. Haven't had them in about 1.5 years now. I've cut 95% of bread out of my diet. I'll eat a mini pita, or a single slice of bread once every week or two. Yes, I do eat some processed carbs now, but for the first 6 months, I ate none. I don't get cravings now like I used to and I can control myself around them again.
  • tennisdude2004
    Options

Thanks! It sure does mean I've lost that much. I'm 5'9 and I've gone from 340 to 201.8. I had hypertension and sleep apnea. Both were gone after the first 6 months. I went from a men's size 48 pants, and XXXL shirts, down to a 34 pants and L shirts.

How did I lose it you ask? I cut bread, rice, and pasta out of my diet and gradually increased my exercise. Well, okay, I'll be honest. I've cut rice and pasta completely out of my diet. Haven't had them in about 1.5 years now. I've cut 95% of bread out of my diet. I'll eat a mini pita, or a single slice of bread once every week or two. Yes, I do eat some processed carbs now, but for the first 6 months, I ate none. I don't get cravings now like I used to and I can control myself around them again.

That's a fantastic transformation.

what exercise regime are you doing? have you tried doing sprints once or twice a weeks?
  • geebusuk
    geebusuk Posts: 3,348 Member
    Options
    I don't think anyone is suggesting eating purely refined sugar.
    In some cases the differences between original and 'white' versions can be pretty minimal as far as micro-nutrients goes - such as rice, for example, I believe.
    If you're already getting enough micro-nutrients, you don't get benefit from having more.
    As my link mentions - you don't get "healthy +1" if you're already healthy and just eat more 'healthy' food.
  • tennisdude2004
    Options
    In some cases the differences between original and 'white' versions can be pretty minimal as far as micro-nutrients goes - such as rice, for example, I believe.
    If you're already getting enough micro-nutrients, you don't get benefit from having more.
    As my link mentions - you don't get "healthy +1" if you're already healthy and just eat more 'healthy' food.

Agreed, sounds like you're on a sensible diet.

Most people who are over weight (and I suppose to a degree these are the people the documentary was aimed at) are not on a sensible diet and continue to over-eat carbs (both refined sugar and grain based) that at the end of the day will add to their bad health as opposed to improve it.

Consuming grain based carbs have only one function as far as I can see. They are a cheap source of calories - That's it; apart from that (and it's not a very good reason), they have no benefit what-so-ever.

I do like the article you referenced earlier. It's true if your already healthy some bad carbs won't hurt, but if you're already healthy you're starting from a good foundation anyway.

If you're unhealthy those bad carbs are just going to compound your problems.
  • csmccord
    Options

Citation, please.

Fiber helps to keep you feel fuller longer. It takes longer to digest, and helps with water retention and regularity. As for sources here are a few about sugar itself. Insulin production has vast amounts of data, and is well documented. It's not hard to see how continued over production can lead to insulin resistances and type 2 diabetes.

http://www.forbes.com/sites/jacobsullum/2013/10/16/research-shows-cocaine-and-heroin-are-less-addictive-than-oreos/

http://well.blogs.nytimes.com/2013/12/13/in-food-cravings-sugar-trumps-fat/?_php=true&_type=blogs&_r=0

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/24132980

Here is information on carbohydrates and fiber:

http://www.webmd.com/food-recipes/features/carbohydrates

Every study should be taken with a grain of salt. Nowadays there is a study for everything. If you tried to find a study that says water is bad I'm sure you could. Regardless, I combine information like this with my personal experiences, and I truly believe that it's the over-consumption of processed carbs that turned me into a jelly belly.
  • tennisdude2004
    Options

Citation, please.

Fiber helps to keep you feel fuller longer. It takes longer to digest, and helps with water retention and regularity. As for sources here are a few about sugar itself. Insulin production has vast amounts of data, and is well documented. It's not hard to see how continued over production can lead to insulin resistances and type 2 diabetes.

http://www.forbes.com/sites/jacobsullum/2013/10/16/research-shows-cocaine-and-heroin-are-less-addictive-than-oreos/

http://well.blogs.nytimes.com/2013/12/13/in-food-cravings-sugar-trumps-fat/?_php=true&_type=blogs&_r=0

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/24132980

Here is information on carbohydrates and fiber:

http://www.webmd.com/food-recipes/features/carbohydrates

Every study should be taken with a grain of salt. Nowadays there is a study for everything. If you tried to find a study that says water is bad I'm sure you could. Regardless, I combine information like this with my personal experiences, and I truly believe that it's the over-consumption of processed carbs that turned me into a jelly belly.

Interesting articles.

Totally agree that the carbs we eat should come from plant base sources and contain nutrients, vitamins and fibre.

However I totally disagree that we should be eating whole grain (grains serve no purpose what-so-ever and in fact cause more problems in diet than you would think.

I agree with percentage split in the diet but only if you are burning Glycogen as a fuel source (which is not the most efficient fuel source to use. Our bodies have evolved to burn body fact as fuel and therefore a healthy diet (for overall longevity of health) would be a high fat diet with a carb intake of approx. 150g.
  • csmccord
    Options
    I actually agree with you as well. I average about 150 gram of carbs a day. Some days are less, some are more.
  • stefjc
    stefjc Posts: 484 Member
    Options
    Just taking points as I remember them.... hairless rat isn't really a species, it is a breed of rat. It is man made, bred from defective rats, just like the dumbo eared rats were.

The point of taking just fat or sugar based restrictions was to show what that one single faddish point would lead to. I think they showed the individual aspects and the cohort based science behind it really well. Also they focused on the Atlantic divide and the reasons for it. Again Dr Sugar (sorry, Lustig) came over as a tad, erm, evangelical, single minded, loopy.... take your pick.

They said their own experiment was poor science but their experience was illuminating, especially honest when they said that 'as GPs' they thought they knew more.

I found it refreshing that Prof Jebb was shown as well as cited - she usually only gets a passing mention as she is almost guaranteed to blow every diet guru's womblings out of the water. Doctor thingy (the rat man) that followed her was fascinating, taking some of her ideas and showing how they could be manipulated in rats. And the wholly common sense upshot that 50:50 fat : sugar is lethal/perfect human food :)

So I enjoyed it. Simplistic yes, informative, yes.

And to top it off Dr Death (sorry DUKAN) got struck off by the French. Yay :D
  • tigersword
    tigersword Posts: 8,059 Member
    Options
    I watched it all and was skeptical that it wasn't going to reveal anything groundbreaking, but it was actually very interesting, particularly the experiments with the cheesecake (fat and sugar) and the rats. And who doesn't like cheesecake?

We all know fat doesn't make us fat and we all know the body NEEDS carbs in order to simply function. I found it ironic that these so called bodybuilding ridiculously low carb diets, that they are actually burning muscle mass as well as fat!

This is not true at all. Insulin doesn't dump anything into fat storage. Insulin is actually one of the most important hormones for muscle growth.
  • tigersword
    Options

Most people who are over weight (and I suppose to a degree these are the people the documentary was aimed at) are not on a sensible diet and continue to over-eat carbs (both refined sugar and grain based) that at the end of the day will add to their bad health as opposed to improve it.

Consuming grain based carbs have only one function as far as I can see. They are a cheap source of calories - That's it; apart from that (and it's not a very good reason), they have no benefit what-so-ever.

I do like the article you referenced earlier. It's true if your already healthy some bad carbs won't hurt, but if you're already healthy you're starting from a good foundation anyway.

If the bolded part were actually true, then please explain how human civilization has survived, when the entire history of human civilization is based on grain.
  • thisgirlhere
    thisgirlhere Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    This was an hour long show which for me only had about 10 minutes of anything worth watching.

There was an interview with a woman (can't remember her name) who said that she'd studies lots of people on various different diets which restricted or concentrated on single foods. High/Low Protein Hi/Low Carb/ High Fibre/ Low Fat/ GI - Pretty much every "diet" going and concluded i think that restricting certain foods doesn't really have any effect on health/weight loss. -

Did I understand that properly?

Also the bit with the rats was very interesting as it showed that if a rodent eats high sugar or high fat it will regulate it's food intake to get the right amount of calories and not put on any weight. But if it eats sugar and fat mixed together it will end up preferring (dare we say get addicted) to sugar and fatty foods and then they will put on weight.

I once read that no where in nature do we find food with sugar and fat in (except nuts?) so really we need to stay away from (or limit) manufactured foods and stick to "clean foods" and then we'll be fine.
  • Fuzzipeg
    Fuzzipeg Posts: 2,298 Member
    Options
    I found it interesting that in the summing up the person on the high fat regime, meats and cheese and all had lost more weight but most of it was MUSSEL, and had pushed himself to the point of being pre diabetic. The twin on the high sugar did also loose but nothing like as much and did not seem to have compromised his system to the same extent.

I came away with the though balance in all things.

Grain became incorporated into the human diet about 7000 years ago with the advent of farming this gave our species the opportunity to thrive and the population grew exponentially as a result
  • tigersword
    Options
    I found it interesting that in the summing up the person on the high fat regime, meats and cheese and all had lost more weight but most of it was MUSSEL, and had pushed himself to the point of being pre diabetic. The twin on the high sugar did also loose but nothing like as much and did not seem to have compromised his system to the same extent.

Grain became incorporated into the human diet about 7000 years ago with the advent of farming this gave our species the opportunity to thrive and the population grew exponentially as a result
    Actually, we started farming grain about 7,000-10,000 years ago. We've been eating it far longer than that. We've found archaeological evidence of flat breads being baked on hot stones 30,000 years ago.
  • tennisdude2004
    Options

If the bolded part were actually true, then please explain how human civilization has survived, when the entire history of human civilization is based on grain.

Wow I didn't know grains were available before the start of the agricultural revolution!!!? So what your saying is our Paleolithic ancestors were actual snacking on weetabix as opposed to eating animals and plants.

So 2.6 million years of evolution based on a high fat low carb ( from plants) compared to only 10,000 years of trying to digest grains, which a lot of people still cannot do.
  • tennisdude2004
    Options

Actually, we started farming grain about 7,000-10,000 years ago. We've been eating it far longer than that. We've found archaeological evidence of flat breads being baked on hot stones 30,000 years ago.

So it's 2.6 million years compared to 30,000 your point still doesn't stack up. Civilisation started a long, long time ago.