Am I headed towards Anorexia/Bulimia

Options
124»

Replies

• TaurusV
    TaurusV Posts: 66
    Options
    The only way for me was somebody (a doctor) telling your own survival is on the line and if you keep going it wont be pretty.

This ^ when a doctor in the hospital sits down beside you on your bed and tells you, flat out, you are going to die if you don't stop this behavior, yep...that seemed to snap me out of it for a while.
    This, we have been to the same point then. My doctor said those exact words and she was very alarmed.

I didnt need a psychologist or drugs to get out of it, just wanting to survive and get out of anorexia. You should talk to a doctor/therapist and see that your life is too precious and is a very serious thing.

Also, I never had an eating disorder after this, but a therapist can help you to love yourself and see those thoughts are you over-criticizing yourself/pressure of society/university duties, changes in life you want to control.

Is ok, mental hospitals around the world are for cases like dangerous schizophrenic episodes, severe drug use dependance causing mental damage, etc.
  • AlongCame_Molly
    AlongCame_Molly Posts: 2,835 Member
    Options
    Surprise! There is a subset of bulimia that uses exercise as a purge method. Most people don't know this so I'm actually not trying to be flippant or condensating. Not saying you have bulimia but food for thought in how you define a purge. Have you considered talking to your doctor? Good luck on you path towards better health.

condensation.jpg

???????
  • LC458
    LC458 Posts: 300 Member
    Options
    Is it possible to rid yourself of bulimic thoughts/tendencies without a "therapist" or "professional help"? I don't believe in western medicine. I want to cure myself on my own. I've been to a therapist before (for my anxiety) and they did nothing but prescribe medication.
    Meditation and yoga helps sometimes (not the super extraneous exercise type).
    Therapy is very good too, some therapists are more holistic/dont take the easy way and mine never prescribed medication because I told her I wont have it, I didn't want to become mind numb with those pills.

This^^
    Meditation is incredibly helpful. Why? Because it calming (my reason) and it gives more of a sense that I am in control in a very healthy way too. I agree with this reply. If you dont want to get on meds then tell your doctor/psychiatrist that you would like "natural" tools to overcome this issue. You recognizing this is a really good thing and a step in the right direction. I hope you are able to get the help you need and want. Best wishes.
  • BrotherBill913
    BrotherBill913 Posts: 661 Member
    Options
    You need to ask a professional this question.

This^^^^^
  • nxd10
    nxd10 Posts: 4,570 Member
    Options
    I'm currently trying to maintain my weight by eating 1500-1600 calories a day and exercising 30 min daily. Sometimes I binge, but I never purge afterwards. I only punish myself by doing a lot of exercise afterwards. I don't want to become too skinny, but I am TERRIFIED of gaining more weight. Is this bad? I tend to worry A LOT about gaining weight and if I do gain a pound, I start to think I look fat and refuse to leave the house. I think about food a lot throughout the day and it's really starting to get on my nerves. How do I stop these tendencies or enjoy life but maintain my current weight?

Worth seeing a counsellor or psychologist ASAP, honey. These aren't good signs, especially the weight related anxiety. I lost a good mate to anorexia when I was younger, and suffered from bulimia myself - head it off at the pass, if you can. Kudos for recognising it - feel free to add me if you'd like a support system here, but seriously, see a professional. Good luck! *huge hugs*

I agree. None of these things are good signs. Please get some help. The first step towards feeling better is recognizing the problem.
  • iaimforperfection
    Options
    It could turn into EDNOS which is difficult to get help for :c i have the same problem, you should talk to someone and if you cant aford a medical professional you could talk with family or friends
  • heybales
    heybales Posts: 18,842 Member
    Options
    Folks - she de-activated her account.

let's hope it's because a Dr told her focusing on calories was not useful right now.
  • starrylioness
    starrylioness Posts: 543 Member
    Options
    Folks - she de-activated her account.

let's hope it's because a Dr told her focusing on calories was not useful right now.

I do hope she managed to get some help. Definitely felt like talking with someone about it would help her, even if just her family doctor.