No clue what to do about proteins

Options
2»

Replies

• EDollah
    EDollah Posts: 464 Member
    Options
    I don't rememberer seeing it mentioned (maybe it was) but lentils and split peas are a very solid source of protein, fiber too. I sneak in some extra protein with some types of pita bread, specifically from Joseph's, though other brands may work too. Jerky is a snack I'll eat if I find myself behind on my protein target.

If you can deal with the taste (or adjust it to your liking), plain Greek yogurt can pack a massive amount, much more than the flavored ones, I've found.

I find if I have Canadian bacon in the morning, in lieu of regular bacon or sausage, I get a lot more protein per calorie.

I'll even just snack on a can of tuna to make up protein deficits in a day.
  • AmyTyo
    AmyTyo Posts: 11
    Options
    I know you're trying to go more natural but alot of breads if you look can give you alot of protein. A slice of some might give you as much as 5g of protein. So one sandwich you're adding 10grams to the meat. I've been using greek yogurt for alot, you can use it to make dips (I do a hidden Valley ranch) and smoothies (and you can add protein powder and flax seed for an extra protein boost) and other things to add a few extra grams of protein throughout your day if you don't like the taste of the greek yogurt.

Oh and although they have a lot of sodium pork rinds have protein in them. i'll dip them in my ranch dip with greek yogurt!
  • Linda09189
    Options
    Jay Robb protein powder is the best I've ever tried, however it's costly and I buy jillian michaels, I think now it's just called pure protein I believe they took her pic off the canister, you can get it at walmart.....I live on protein shakes tons of protein, low in fat and sugar, it's a win win....
  • manda1978
    manda1978 Posts: 525 Member
    Options
    When looking for a protein powder, look at how many grams of protein per 100gr serve it has. The ones I use are 90gr of protein in 100gr of powder, so 90% of the product is protein which is pretty good.

If its a lowish percent then the product will contain fillers, sugars etc.

I just got a delivery of this powder, its cheap and has good macros - http://www.bulknutrients.com.au/buy/wpi-flavoured-1kg/WPI01KGF
  • Tevajane
    Tevajane Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    Go to a GNC store and get a recommendation. Do some research before you shop and wright down or print them out. Then stick to your guns and purchase one that meets your requirements. If you have an Organic Foods section at your local grocery store check out the options there. Better yet, Find a local FOOD CO-OP. The one in St. Peter has a person on staff that can answer all the questions you may have about anything in the store and will council you on making the right choices. I know that most of the HY-Vee grocery stores partner with a Dietitian and you can often find them in the store. If you really need some professional advice I could offer my Sister's contact information and you could speak with her. She is a registered Dietitian in Dallas, Texas please let me know if this information was helpful.
  • enchantedgardener
    enchantedgardener Posts: 214 Member
    Options
    My favourite protein powder is Whey Gourmet Naturelle Vanilla Bean. Amazing great taste on its own (can drink it stirred into a glass of water), mixes well without a blender, and well priced. No artificial flavours, no artificial sweeteners, only a few ingredients (whey, cane sugar, stevia, natural flavour, calcium carbonate, guar gum).

There are unflavoured, unsweetened protein powders out there as well. Lots of them, in fact. Obviously they don't taste great on their own. They're great for use in smoothies, but some might not mix well without a blender. I currently have some Manitoba Harvest Hemp Pro 50. Only one ingredient, and that's hemp protein. It tastes like the hemp nut butter I once bought...kinda grassy and slightly nutty. It's fine mixed in a smoothie, but super gross on its own.
  • geebusuk
    geebusuk Posts: 3,348 Member
    Options
    I think Quinoa is pretty high in protein for a grain. .. peas, broccoli, seitan, some seeds,.. unsweetened coco powder as 1g per tbsp.
    Not compared to calories - lean meat (and protein powder) is by far the best as far as protein amount vs calories.
    I wasn't disapointed to find I though quinoa was disgusting after I looked at the nutrition information to find it's mostly carbs anyway.
  • jar819
    jar819 Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    :drinker: ha...
  • jar819
    jar819 Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    cottage cheese
    yogurt (greek has even more)
    cheese
    Milk
    egg whites? (in stead of eggs??)
    Tofu
    tempeh

protein powder is good for upping it.. but i know you said you don't want it..

maybe cliff or quest bars? They are about as close to all natural as you'll get with a protein bars..

Nuts are a fat source.. not a protein source..

High protein veggies:
    http://www.healthaliciousness.com/articles/vegetables-high-in-protein.php

Guess someone flagged your nut butter posts...they've been removed...detention for you..:laugh:
  • pacmanwaccawacca
    Options
    per 1 gram of protein there's 4calories