It's NOT always as simple as a deficit

Options
1151617181921»

Replies

• TaurusV
    TaurusV Posts: 66
    Options
    Why people here are so aggressive on what is the superb true and they have to have it and anybody that poses a question is an idiot or against them?

Is clear that deficit matters the most, but for people that are obese or very overweight with virtual infamous muscular mass respective of fat mass the macros matter a lot and exercise/strenght building too, mainly because having increase in lean mass and/or change in %muscle/%fat will change their metabolic rate and consequently make it easier and change the numbers of the caloric deficit equation needed to shed the kgs.

Why the fight? Everybody is agreeing and gave contributions, is clear enough and OP should be happy.

Deviations from the deficit/change in macros/composition of body can be due to bad reporting of calories or unexpected/unknown condition, medications to treat depression, etc.

I think some people here discriminate and judge people who post questions since they see OP and others in the light of "oh those overweight liars that think only through their bellies".
  • geebusuk
    geebusuk Posts: 3,348 Member
    Options
    Not quite sure what you're getting at - for me the issue is the very subject of the thread.
    It absolutely IS as simple as a deficit.

I'll happily concede that a deficit may not be simple.
  • QuietBloom
    QuietBloom Posts: 5,413 Member
    Options
    Paganstar:
    re: your profile pic... Who do you identify with? The fit woman in the tshirt, or the person who made the caption?

I am interested in the answer to this myself.

Ha ha, how bizarre and creepy. What you wanna psychoanalyse me?

I searched diet meme, thought the woman looked OK if slightly too skinny and the caption made me laugh. I don't identify with either!

Edited to say she looks like she has a missing arm too! But the sea is a nice colour and makes me think of summer :happy:

What I find bizarre and creepy is 1. That you like that meme (it's a pretty angry one). 2. That you felt the need to screen cap my post and then fuzz out my username (for no reason, because none of it had changed - not my photo, my username, nor my original post on the subject, and I never said it had) and 3. That you went on for pages skirting an issue until someone else spelled it out for you. :huh:
  • TaurusV
    TaurusV Posts: 66
    Options
    Not quite sure what you're getting at - for me the issue is the very subject of the thread.
    It absolutely IS as simple as a deficit.

I'll happily concede that a deficit may not be simple.

Not targeting you necessarily, but always when those discussions come up is such a war of egos, and I dont understand why. Is clearly needed a deficit, but sometimes is not simple to know how to achieve or how is the best to tackle/most efficient.

Also some conditions do exist, my mom has COPD (lungs chronic issues) measured by dozen exams and she would love to put weight but even when she does eat a lot is not easy to know how much and what to eat to make her body stick with what she eat and not burn everything.

My other relative has really a thyroid issue, she treats with pills and she had a huge weight gain before and diet didnt do as much as you would expect by the very simple deficit equation.

Is easy to say the equation is the main point, but the practical aspects can get complicated in individual cases. But for most people, yes deficit and correct accounting is the biggest thing (I know a relative that eats only super healthy no carb week days than go on weekend to other people house eat 10000 calories and get frustrated not losing weight because she was good during the week, lol).
  • geebusuk
    geebusuk Posts: 3,348 Member
    Options
    My other relative has really a thyroid issue, she treats with pills and she had a huge weight gain before and diet didnt do as much as you would expect by the very simple deficit equation.
    Again, the problem, I would suggest, is calculating the deficit there.
    I forget the circumstances, but a friend with Thyroid issues I think was on a bit too much medicine or whatever - and basically got the opposite. Burning a hell of a lot of calories; I believe she was gently chastised for not making a fuss about it and the way it was keeping her slim.

Again, either way, it is 'calories in' vs 'calories out' and while working both out can be quite difficult, I think people that trying to find reasons it's not is a misdirected effort and for most people it would be better to understand the how it IS for them.

I don't see these as arguing about methodology; I see it as, say, insisting the sun is a Giant fireball we orbit which is around 8-light seconds away, rather than a mystic light-bringing being from an ancient tale.
  • jofjltncb6
    jofjltncb6 Posts: 34,415 Member
    Options
    Again, the problem, I would suggest, is calculating the deficit there.
    I forget the circumstances, but a friend with Thyroid issues I think was on a bit too much medicine or whatever - and basically got the opposite. Burning a hell of a lot of calories; I believe she was gently chastised for not making a fuss about it and the way it was keeping her slim.

Again, either way, it is 'calories in' vs 'calories out' and while working both out can be quite difficult, I think people that trying to find reasons it's not is a misdirected effort and for most people it would be better to understand the how it IS for them.

I don't see these as arguing about methodology; I see it as, say, insisting the sun is a Giant fireball we orbit which is around 8-light seconds away, rather than a mystic light-bringing being from an ancient tale.

I, for one, welcome our mystic light-bringing overlord.
  • paganstar71
    paganstar71 Posts: 109 Member
    Options

Ha ha, how bizarre and creepy. What you wanna psychoanalyse me?

I searched diet meme, thought the woman looked OK if slightly too skinny and the caption made me laugh. I don't identify with either!

Edited to say she looks like she has a missing arm too! But the sea is a nice colour and makes me think of summer :happy:

What I find bizarre and creepy is 1. That you like that meme (it's a pretty angry one). 2. That you felt the need to screen cap my post and then fuzz out my username (for no reason, because none of it had changed - not my photo, my username, nor my original post on the subject, and I never said it had) and 3. That you went on for pages skirting an issue until someone else spelled it out for you. :huh:

1. I didn't make the meme and I consider it no more angry than the words expressed on this thread. Some posters have suggested that only posts made by the 'fit' and successful profile pictures should be acknowledged as valid comment. That sort of turns intelligent discussion into a bit of a dumbed down vanity contest.

2. I blurred your identity out of courtesy as the screenshot was being hosted on another website, which you might not have wanted. The screenshot captured your original post which showed you did not clearly state the importance of macros. You had already accused me of misquoting you, hence the screenshot so I could not be accused again.

3. So you decide to resurrect a thread that I had considered finished to take a delayed swipe at me? You said macros didn't matter in weight loss. I pointed out macros can affect fat loss, which is what people actually want when they refer to weight loss. That proportionate loss of muscle would negatively affect metabolism making the calorie deficit harder to achieve, thus slowing down weight and fat loss. Now, unless you really want this thread to continue further, despite your protestation above, I would suggest it best for us to agree to disagree and to move on with your life as I intend to.

:flowerforyou:
  • SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member
    Options
    snip.

3. So you decide to resurrect a thread that I had considered finished to take a delayed swipe at me? You said macros didn't matter in weight loss. I pointed out macros can affect fat loss, which is what people actually want when they refer to weight loss. That proportionate loss of muscle would negatively affect metabolism making the calorie deficit harder to achieve, thus slowing down weight and fat loss. Now, unless you really want this thread to continue further, despite your protestation above, I would suggest it best for us to agree to disagree and to move on with your life as I intend to.

:flowerforyou:

on the first bolded part They don't matter for weight loss calorie deficet does...

2nd bolded part how do you know what people mean...before I learned from the "mean people" here I said I wanted to lose weight...never thought about if it was muscle or fat...didn't care...I just wanted it gone.

Don't assume anything for anybody....