Paleo Diet?

Options
The caveman diet, I heard its SUPER difficult to keep with but has any one had success? I have hit a plateau and cant seem to lose weight, thought maybe changing the way i eat could help jumpstart my metabolism any suggestions or advice?

Replies

• LisaRN1983
    LisaRN1983 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    All the nutritionists at Lifetime fitness swear by it. I'm trying to cut carbs with lack of nutrition too. It's hard!! I have lost 6 pounds since Jan 1 this way!
  • AmplifiedHeart
    Options
    I have been following the paleo/primal way of eating for over a year now and I will never go back. I was severely obese when I started and I have since lost 100 pounds. At first it was daunting giving up things like sugar and grains but now I don't miss that stuff at all. If i'm craving bread or cookies then I will make it, I just tweak the recipe to make it paleo. Even if I hadn't lost weight on paleo I would never go back to anything else because paleo isn't about weight loss for me, its about cutting out processed chemical laden foods and eating naturally. I would definitely recommend you give it a try.
  • a_stronger_me13
    a_stronger_me13 Posts: 812 Member
    Options
    I have been following the paleo/primal way of eating for over a year now and I will never go back. I was severely obese when I started and I have since lost 100 pounds. At first it was daunting giving up things like sugar and grains but now I don't miss that stuff at all. If i'm craving bread or cookies then I will make it, I just tweak the recipe to make it paleo. Even if I hadn't lost weight on paleo I would never go back to anything else because paleo isn't about weight loss for me, its about cutting out processed chemical laden foods and eating naturally. I would definitely recommend you give it a try.

Rethink the definition of a chemical... everything is made of them...

OP, it's a good way to figure out if you have any intolerances to food, but it works on the same premise as any diet, calorie deficit produces weightloss. If you can adhere to it, good for you, but it's not necessary to do a highly restrictive diet to find success and if you already have an unhealthy relationship with food it can sometimes worsen it. There's no magic behind it and there's plenty of people you'll find on this site doing "paleo" and "primal" and doing them half assedly, like paleo-fying existing food... the reason for eating that way isn't to cram the SAD into a pimal/paleo mold.

My suggestion, meet your macro nutrition goals, specifically protein and fat minimums, and enjoy some treats in moderation while staying within your calorie goal.
  • a_stronger_me13
    a_stronger_me13 Posts: 812 Member
    Options
    Also, OP, you've lost 65lbs... why would you change what you're doing? That's an incredible success.
  • neandermagnon
    neandermagnon Posts: 7,436 Member
    Options
    Good luck finding woolly mammoth and woolly rhino. The "paleo" diet of internet gurus doesn't resemble the diet of any palaeolithic people.

Palaeolithic people were lean because they had to exert themselves to catch or find food before eating it. Many of them walked or ran for miles to get food, plus fighting with animals before humans invented long range weapons. And carrying food back to wherever home was (which could have been a cave but often wasn't).

It's also wasn't designed as a fat loss diet, but one for people who have issues with food allergies and intolerances. Whether or not you lose weight is simply about eating at a calorie deficit. If weight loss has stopped, then your no longer have a deficit. You don't need to cut out all the foods that the paleo diet says to cut out to create a deficit. For many people, the "paleo" diet will create a deficit for them, for others it won't (you can still overeat on all the "paleo" diet approved foods and gain weight). There are much easier ways to create a deficit though, such as counting calories and weighing and measuring your food carefully, or even just eating smaller portion sizes of calorie dense food (less accurate, but it works for a lot of people). That way you can eat all the foods the paleo diet disapproves of and still lose weight (do make sure you're getting all the nutrients your body needs though, for good health and good body composition). But if you're allergic or intolerant to wheat, dairy and legumes, then the "paleo" diet will be really good for you. (although palaeolithic people ate grains and legumes, and modern people who are descended from dairy farming/herding populations have evolved the ability to digest lactose)

If you want to emulate the health-promoting aspects of a palaeolithic lifestyle though, I'd suggest lifting heavy weights and going running: http://cavepeopleandstuff.wordpress.com/2013/05/31/palaeolithic-workouts/
  • Zitawins216
    Zitawins216 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    A friend just told me to download Paleo Central ..it's a .99 cent app! She lost 20lbs in one month with exercise of course! It's hard! I'm doing it this month if u want to friend me...maybe we can share recipes! I hear its hard...it's lo carb and no dairy or even complex carbs
  • AmplifiedHeart
    Options
    A friend just told me to download Paleo Central ..it's a .99 cent app! She lost 20lbs in one month with exercise of course! It's hard! I'm doing it this month if u want to friend me...maybe we can share recipes! I hear its hard...it's lo carb and no dairy or even complex carbs

Paleo doesn't have to be low carb, its really up to the individuals needs. I have met people who eat over 300 grams of carbs on paleo a day. I actually consider myself primal because I consume dairy (cream,cheese,butter) on a daily basis. When it comes to refined sugars,grains,legumes or just generally processed crap, I don't touch it.
  • rejectuf
    rejectuf Posts: 487 Member
    Options

Rethink the definition of a chemical... everything is made of them...

OP, it's a good way to figure out if you have any intolerances to food, but it works on the same premise as any diet, calorie deficit produces weightloss. If you can adhere to it, good for you, but it's not necessary to do a highly restrictive diet to find success and if you already have an unhealthy relationship with food it can sometimes worsen it. There's no magic behind it and there's plenty of people you'll find on this site doing "paleo" and "primal" and doing them half assedly, like paleo-fying existing food... the reason for eating that way isn't to cram the SAD into a pimal/paleo mold.

My suggestion, meet your macro nutrition goals, specifically protein and fat minimums, and enjoy some treats in moderation while staying within your calorie goal.

Chemicals that appear naturally in whole foods have been around for hundreds and thousands of years in the human diet. The 'chemical laden foods' people refer to have chemicals that have only been around for a relatively short time and could possibly have unintended long-term or cumulative effects on our bodies.

I agree with you that when it comes to weight loss, it still comes down to calories in/calories out. Paleo is not a magical bullet in this regard. However, if people follow it and make sensible choices they can not only lose weight but find themselves with more energy, better performance in the gym, and solving digestive issues (if any existed). I've found that many days it is hard for me to reach my calorie goal eating paleo foods, usually because they're very satisfying and filling.

OP, do a lot of research. Don't just download an app and call it a day. There are tons of interpretations of paleo, with more and more research coming out. Find something that works for you. Some people find starting with something strict like the Whole30 challenge works best. Some find that making the majority of your meals paleo, with the others as low in grains as possible works well to start with.
  • rejectuf
    rejectuf Posts: 487 Member
    Options

Not quite. Get your carbs from vegetables and fruit. On days with exercise, sweet potatoes are a great source of carbs. Avoid sugar, grains, white potatoes, legumes, and processed foods. I cut out dairy when I first started, but began introducing it back in after awhile to see how well I tolerated it.
  • edwardkim85
    edwardkim85 Posts: 438 Member
    Options
    any diet works as long as it is done in moderation.

I crossfit so I'm not against paleo but I don't follow it.

I'm not a caveman and there's tons of food around. If I was a caveman following a paleo diet, should I also club women in the head and show them how much I 'love ' them?

It's just foolish lol.
  • Derpes
    Derpes Posts: 2,033 Member
    Options
    Are you allowed to use a stove, microwave, or any other cooking technology that did not exist during the caveman days?
  • edwardkim85
    Options
    Also a friend of mine that crossfit eats dairy, cheese, pizza, bread wtv all day

and he's healthier and fitter than any crossfiter at my gym.

But then he also works out 4 hours/day.

So there you go. You don't have to cut anything out of your diet.

Eat everything in moderation.
  • edwardkim85
    Options
    Are you allowed to use a stove, microwave, or any other cooking technology that did not exist during the caveman days?

Cavemen were half our sizes too with much more body hair.

Their teeth were sharper and they were more efficient at breaking down raw food that we have difficulty with now.

Unless 'evolution' never existed and earth is 5000 years old,

our bodies have evolved and adapted to the current food products and diet out there.
  • neanderthin
    neanderthin Posts: 10,021 Member
    Options

Their teeth were sharper and they were more efficient at breaking down raw food that we have difficulty with now.

our bodies have evolved and adapted to the current food products and diet out there.
    Actually "cavemen" as you say were more robust, and taller. Our heads for example are 10% smaller, hence the wisdom tooth problem today. Oh, and believe it or not our brain is also smaller.
  • J72FIT
    J72FIT Posts: 5,951 Member
    Options
    The caveman diet, I heard its SUPER difficult to keep with but has any one had success? I have hit a plateau and cant seem to lose weight, thought maybe changing the way i eat could help jumpstart my metabolism any suggestions or advice?

Any diet will help you lose weight as long as you are in a negative energy balance. One aspect of paleo that I like is the focus on nutrient dense foods. Paleo is not magic though, you still need to track your calories and eat at a deficit.
  • neandermagnon
    Options

:noway: do you even palaeoanthropology?
  • ascrit
    ascrit Posts: 770 Member
    Options

You are likely going to find quite a few people who will tell you how terrible it is or too hard or too restrictive but the simple truth is that it really just depends on what you like to eat and what you think you can stick to. I would say give it a try and if you like it, great. If not, no biggie.

You can learn more by joining this group:
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/forums/show/54-primal-paleo-support-group
  • Akraz
    Akraz Posts: 41 Member
    Options

Actually "cavemen" as you say were more robust, and taller. Our heads for example are 10% smaller, hence the wisdom tooth problem today. Oh, and believe it or not our brain is also smaller.

Yeah, our brain is smaller because our mentaility of eating food today as changed. Back then, food intake was 75% fat intake. Today, its 75% carb intake.

And you wonder why everyone is getting diabetes and cancer.

I've lost over 100lbs eating on the Ketogenic lifestyle. Its stricter/more primal than Paleo.
  • neandermagnon
    Options

I've always thought that.............. if you use metal to prepare or eat it, it's not paleo

you have to catch it and butcher it with stone tools and cook it on an open fire without using metal (e.g. grills) or it's not paleo. You can find flat stones and heat them in the fire, and use them like a hot plate. Or wrap food in bark to stop it burning. Those are palaeolithic cooking methods. Fire was used in the middle and upper palaeolithic eras. Lower palaeolithic food preparation involved smashing animal bones with stone tools to extract stuff like brains and bone marrow.
  • Harrisonsauntie
    Options
    Generalisation