To tatoo or not to tatoo

Options

Replies

• The_Raspberry
    The_Raspberry Posts: 84 Member
    Options
    Oh I think tattoos can be great but need to be thought through!

Mine hurt like a *****. But I really wanted it, so it was ok. Just suck it up for a few hours (or minutes depending on size) and then it's done!

Be sure you know what you want. Don't make anything without thinking it through. Sleep on it. But also don't over think it and chicken out because you're scared it will look bad when you're 95 or it will hurt. If you like your tattoo, it's worth it.

Do some reasearch. Make sure you find a good artist, who you are happy with. If you want a japanese style tattoo, go to someone who is good at that, an old school one, you can find someone who has them as their speciality. For me it's really important that I trust the tattoo artist, and that we have the same goal with the tattoo. Go through the plan with him/her. If they have input, listen to them, they are just trying to make the best tattoo possible.

Hope that helps! Good luck!
  • explorationerin
    Options
    Ive got 9 tattoos All in random places, both wrists, inside and out, neck, ankle,foot going up leg, boob, shoulder ect...

The only one that actually hurt me was the biggest one which is the one starting on my foot and going up to my knee, it hurt like a ***** on my actual foot, butthen i hate my feet being touched anyway, The least painful one was my boob tbh.

You need to make sure you are certain of what you want, its not a choice you can take lightly.
  • Noamsh
    Noamsh Posts: 79 Member
    Options
    Regarding the pain issue, everyone is different and every location is different. The one I have on my wrist really hurt (compared to the one on my shoulder for example), but I LOVE tattoo pain, it's the good kind.
    But that's just me lol
  • itsanot
    itsanot Posts: 89 Member
    Options
    It took me 30 years of thinking about it before I did my first one at 47! I now have 5 and will get a few more before I am done. I designed all of mine and drew them except my Led Zepplin one. They are personal to me and no one else. Yes they hurt, but nothing that you can't handle. No drinking for a few days before or you will bleed. Mine are in my pictures feel free to look!
  • daw0518
    daw0518 Posts: 459 Member
    Options
    I got my first tattoo rather spontaneously & I have no regrets about it, but I do think that's a huge gamble to take, & I would definitely think it through before doing it again. Mine is on the inside of my wrist & was fairly simple. It took like 10-15 minutes to complete & I would echo others that it hurt but it wasn't unbearable by any means. I'd also like to add, since you're considering a small wrist tattoo, that it's really easy to conceal with a watch or bracelets, & it's a part of your body I've found that other people see surprisingly little of, actually.
  • Ophidion
    Ophidion Posts: 2,065 Member
    Options
    Considering the spelling in your thread title if you are getting text done I would at the very least use spell check.
  • Sinisterly
    Sinisterly Posts: 10,913 Member
    Options
    I'm not sure, but you should definitely get a tattoo or two.
    Or three? Hey, what's your lucky number? :flowerforyou:
  • redredfox
    redredfox Posts: 76 Member
    Options
    It sounds like you aren't ready in general. Know what you want and where you want to put it; you will have it FOREVER. And of course they hurt but it makes it worth it. It wouldn't be as much fun if it didn't hurt =)
  • elyelyse
    elyelyse Posts: 1,454 Member
    Options
    A bottle of Patrone should help lol - Ink On!
    actually, any tattoo artist who agrees to tattoo someone who has been drinking should have their equipment confiscated. It thins the blood...which leads to heavier bleeding. (not to mention bad decision making)

OP, if you don't know what you want, you're not ready. It should be something important enough to you that you are willing to suffer a little for it.
  • randomtai
    randomtai Posts: 9,003 Member
    Options
    Considering the spelling in your thread title if you are getting text done I would at the very least use spell check.

:laugh:
  • ozmakitten
    Options
    Personal opinions whether to tattoo or not to tattoo. They are becoming so common nowadays so if you want to be like everyone else and have a unique tattoo somewhere or be an individual and not have one its up to you.! That's how I see it.
  • 294Rich
    294Rich Posts: 171 Member
    Options
    If you don't know what you want, and you don't know where you want it, then it just sounds like you want a tattoo for the sake of it, which isn't a very good reason to get one.
  • WendyTerry420
    WendyTerry420 Posts: 13,274 Member
    Options
    Decide what you want first. Have the artist draw it on paper for you to be certain that you like it. As far as pain, pick somewhere fatty, and not bony. I picked the side of my calf and it didn't hurt much at all.
  • wndrwmn86
    wndrwmn86 Posts: 507 Member
    Options
    I have four currently, two of them did not hurt at all (lower side back and behind the ear) and two of them did (rib and foot). The last two are supposed to be the most painful areas to get them other than male genetalia but while they did hurt the pain went away quickly enough and no I did not cry. For me the foot was the only one to bleed a lot but it's not a problem the artist just wipes away the blood as they work and after they are done they put on a salve that helps keep it moisturized and it keeps it from bleeding too badly after.

Everybody else has mentioned it but I will remention...do not get one unless you are sure and know what you want and where you want to stick it, they are kinda permenant. That is the biggest reason for tattoo regret is just getting them in the spur of the moment.

If you do decide to go forth with it make sure to take care of it after, this is very important. The artist will recommend you buy some salve like tattoo goo to put on it until it heals. If you are going through the pain to begin with don't you want it to look as good as it does when you leave the shop? Not keeping it lubed up after can mess up your tat pretty quickly to the point you might have to go back and get it redone so be diligent! Also someone else mentioned it but check the artist and shop out you don't want to walk out of there with something that don't scrub off besides the tattoo if ya know what I mean.
  • WendyTerry420
    WendyTerry420 Posts: 13,274 Member
    Options
    A bottle of Patrone should help lol - Ink On!
    actually, any tattoo artist who agrees to tattoo someone who has been drinking should have their equipment confiscated. It thins the blood...which leads to heavier bleeding. (not to mention bad decision making)

Yep. BAD advice to drink before getting inked. Take some Tylenol beforehand instead. (not aspirin!)
  • beachgod
    beachgod Posts: 567 Member
    Options
    My advice is not. It is a permanent disfiguration. I got one in 1985 and guess what, it's still there! It stopped being cool or meaningful to me a long time ago yet it won't go away. Here's a guide if you must do this to yourself. Mine is in the "I will never have a job that pays taxes" area.

tattoo-location-guide.jpg
  • tlcarolinagirl
    tlcarolinagirl Posts: 1,700 Member
    Options
    I have 2 tattoos, so I am a fan. I will say that they do require maintenance. Old, faded out tattoos can look really horrible, so be prepared to get them touched up when needed.

As for the pain, the one on my shoulder felt like a sunburn and the ones behind my ear felt exactly like a bunch of little beestings. I would choose something that is meaningful to you, so you don't regret it.
  • DeltaZero
    DeltaZero Posts: 1,197 Member
    Options
    Don't do it.
  • SkinnyMel78
    SkinnyMel78 Posts: 434 Member
    Options
    I have two (hoping for a 3rd and 4th in the near future). one is on the inside of my wrist and the other is on the top of my foot. I have a high pain tolerence. The one on my foot was my first tattoo and the artist couldn't believe I sat the entire time without moving or complaining. The one on my wrist was easy compared to that.
  • loubidy
    loubidy Posts: 440 Member
    Options
    In regards to what to get, I once read that you get a picture of what you want and put it up somewhere you will see it everyday. You leave it there for a year and if you still like it only then do you go ahead with it.