Is a calorie a calorie?

Options

Replies

• SHBoss1673
    SHBoss1673 Posts: 7,161 Member
    Options
    I'm not really in the camp of a calorie is a calorie from a functional (weight loss) standpoint.

Fast burning calories, like table sugar or bleached white flour will be processed and inserted into the blood extremely fast, faster than we can effectively utilize it which will increase insulin and eventually, over the long term cause metabolic complications (over the course of months or years).
    I'm not saying every calorie should be absolutely clean, but most RD's I've talked to about this exact topic are adamant about having at least an 80% "good carb" to 20% "bad carb" ratio at a minimum (although most would rather see a 90/10 ratio), and all feel similarly about fats (90% good fats to 10% bad fats is acceptable by most Registered Dietitians). I'm also not saying the occasional bad day is the worst thing in the world, it's not, having a day where you don't do very well from a dietary sense once a month or so isn't a terrible thing. It's when that becomes a weekly or daily habit that this becomes a concern and starts to ruin your progress.

There are specific situations where the above mentioned fast burning calories are fine to ingest, as an example during or after a workout that is highly cardiovascular and relatively long (usually longer than 45 minutes), because glycogen reserves are depleted at this point for most people and need to be replenished in order to not hit "the wall" or at least delay hitting it.
  • neanderthin
    neanderthin Posts: 9,949 Member
    Options
    I'm not really in the camp of a calorie is a calorie from a functional (weight loss) standpoint.

Fast burning calories, like table sugar or bleached white flour will be processed and inserted into the blood extremely fast, faster than we can effectively utilize it which will increase insulin and eventually, over the long term cause metabolic complications (over the course of months or years).
    I'm not saying every calorie should be absolutely clean, but most RD's I've talked to about this exact topic are adamant about having at least an 80% "good carb" to 20% "bad carb" ratio at a minimum (although most would rather see a 90/10 ratio), and all feel similarly about fats (90% good fats to 10% bad fats is acceptable by most Registered Dietitians). I'm also not saying the occasional bad day is the worst thing in the world, it's not, having a day where you don't do very well from a dietary sense once a month or so isn't a terrible thing. It's when that becomes a weekly or daily habit that this becomes a concern and starts to ruin your progress.

There are specific situations where the above mentioned fast burning calories are fine to ingest, as an example during or after a workout that is highly cardiovascular and relatively long (usually longer than 45 minutes), because glycogen reserves are depleted at this point for most people and need to be replenished in order to not hit "the wall" or at least delay hitting it.
    Context and dosage always trumps extremes.......people still can't help but think that way unfortunately.
  • SHBoss1673
    Options

adding to the point about processed vs complex carbs, a side effect of the processing is the reduction/removal of many of the beneficial micro-nutrients and fiber that we need day to day. With grains for example, vitamins, minerals, and fiber are all contained (in much higher quantity) in the husk and germ of grains, these are, for the large part, removed during processing. what is left is generally pure carbohydrate, easy to digest and even easier to reach the blood stream. Don't be fooled by the "enriching" process, even though they put back some of the vitamins and minerals, they aren't as readily absorbed in this format, and you don't receive nearly the benefit you would from whole grains.
  • Amanda_Gx6
    Amanda_Gx6 Posts: 320 Member
    Options
    yes a calorie is a calorie but you want to base your food off of nutrition not just calories. you cannot compare 100 calories of ice cream to 100 calories of carrots. continue to stay in your calorie goal but also pay attention to your macro goals, your sugars, your fats etc. etc. If you have a 100 calorie piece of cake every night as opposed to 100 calories worth of pear slices every night you are going to see a difference. I hope this helped you.

Just so you can avoid all of the "read the threads before you post the same question" replies, next time you have a question the best way to approach it is to search it in the message boards first and then if you don't find what you are looking for to post a new thread. Best of luck to you.
  • Helloitsdan
    Helloitsdan Posts: 5,565 Member
    Options

This x 1000

From an experienced standpoint I have women losing fat eating at or near TDEE.
    The sweet spot happens when you dial in your protein intake.
    Recent studies show that 1.2-1.7g per kg/BW is optimal while eating a clean diet.
    Can you have cheat days?!
    I have cheat nights every night!

But for the most part i'm smart about food intake during the day and have anything I like for dinner.

Stop stressing the small stuff.
    Get DIET out of the equation.
    And make a lifestyle change that will make you strong for the rest of your life.
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,139 Member
    Options
    yes, it really just is a calorie …calories in vs calories out..

if you eat 2000 calories of fish or 2000 calories of dessert and you are in calorie deficit, guess what? You will lose weight.

If you eat 2000 calories of fish or 2000 calories of dessert and you are in a calorie surplus, guess what? You will gain weight..

so yes, a calorie is a calorie is a calorie …

there may be a slight - very small - metabolic increase from certain calories over others…but that is petty much negligible in the big picture...
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,139 Member
    Options
    This may have been brought up before but if the OP still doesn't understand a question, I don't think there is any negative in explaining further.

Essentially, a calorie is a calorie. HOWEVER, take your bad calories in strict moderation. There is no harm in a piece of chocolate 1-2 times a week, but 400 calories of chocolate daily is another story. A delicious yet unhealthy story.

why? If you eat 1500 and 500 is from chocolate and the other 1100 is healthy and you are in a deficit what difference does it make?

I get about 220 calories a day from ice cream…and I have zero issues with health, gym performance, hitting macros, etc...
  • neanderthin
    neanderthin Posts: 9,949 Member
    Options
    This may have been brought up before but if the OP still doesn't understand a question, I don't think there is any negative in explaining further.

Essentially, a calorie is a calorie. HOWEVER, take your bad calories in strict moderation. There is no harm in a piece of chocolate 1-2 times a week, but 400 calories of chocolate daily is another story. A delicious yet unhealthy story.

why? If you eat 1500 and 500 is from chocolate and the other 1100 is healthy and you are in a deficit what difference does it make?

I get about 220 calories a day from ice cream…and I have zero issues with health, gym performance, hitting macros, etc...
    People get confused about the wording all the time. All calories are not created equally is frequently confused with a calorie isn't a calorie and people combine those 2 principals all the time.........I don't think this will end any time soon. For example you mentioned TEF in your previous post.
  • otillie03103
    otillie03103 Posts: 107 Member
    Options

Agreed. I read some articles and watched some documentaries (obviously all opinions of those who made them) that stated if our bodies don't get the right nutrients, you can eat as many calories of the bad carbs or fat as you want, but essentially your body is still starving for those right nutrients. The articles/documentaries said you can be overweight and still "starving from the inside." In this case the body isn't functioning properly. As I said opinions of those who made them, but helped me to make cleaner eating choices. It works for me, but everyone is different. Good luck with whatever you choose.
  • Lives2Travel
    Lives2Travel Posts: 682 Member
    Options
    SHboss thanks that was informative and I appreciate it.

Britawatson my down fall is International Delight creamer with sugar in my coffee. I have two cups of coffee in the morning and in the evening I have tea with sugar. I only have one cup of tea., but I use four teaspoons of sugar and I know that is bad. The cup of green tea I have in the evening is like my little addiction. I also love the Weight Watchers cookie dough sundae that has a 140 calories. I am trying so hard to get away from it. I stopped putting sugar in my coffee and I am trying so hard to wing myself off the others.

If you enjoy creamer in your coffee and sugar in your tea, have it. Account for the calories and move on. IMO, there is nothing wrong with having treats you enjoy. What is wrong is attempting to eat in a way that is not going to be sustainable in the long term. Shoot for healthy 90% of the time and let the other 10% satisfy your sweet tooth.
  • SHBoss1673
    Options

^^^^ And this my friends, is total BS. So, just know that.

maybe something to back this up? What is BS about it? Are you saying that no matter what someone eats, as long as they have the right amount of calories, they will maintain their health?

If that's what you are saying, then I'd respectfully ask that you bring that statement to a registered dietitian and see what they say about it. Or anyone else that has an advanced degree of human anatomy and physiology. Pretty sure they are going to tell you you're wrong, that it matters a great deal, and that health issues will pop up if you don't eat not only the correct macro-nutrients but also the correct micro-nutrients. If that's not what you're saying, then please explain.

thank you
  • Iwishyouwell
    Iwishyouwell Posts: 1,888 Member
    Options
    Go on the ice cream and cookies diet, stay in a deficit, and see how it works out for you.
  • Hornsby
    Hornsby Posts: 10,322 Member
    Options
    The confusion comes in when people start talking about extremes in these situations.

Yes, a calorie is a calorie, but obviously if you eat 1600 calories of dessert every day, you will not meet your macro/micro goals. But if you have already hit your micro/macro nutrients for the day and still have 200 calories to eat....it will not matter which you eat at that point. The differences in effects would be so negligible that you might as well eat whichever you will enjoy more.
  • mccindy72
    mccindy72 Posts: 7,001 Member
    Options

if you eat 2000 calories of fish or 2000 calories of dessert and you are in calorie deficit, guess what? You will lose weight.

If you eat 2000 calories of fish or 2000 calories of dessert and you are in a calorie surplus, guess what? You will gain weight..

there may be a slight - very small - metabolic increase from certain calories over others…but that is petty much negligible in the big picture...

People just don't get it when we try to explain this. Because honestly, no one is eating all their calories from one food source. That's why we say it's about moderation. It's perfectly fine to eat at McD's sometimes, and have a cookie sometimes, and have some chocolate sometimes, as long as you stay in a calorie deficit. You will still lose weight. And most likely still be healthy. Because honestly people, no one is eating all of their calories at McD's except someone who is trying to prove a point. Most people are eating a fairly well rounded diet with a few treat foods thrown in there for yum factor. As long as you do that, in moderation, and keep it at a calorie deficit, you will lose weight and be pretty healthy.
  • otillie03103
    Options

Agreed. I read some articles and watched some documentaries (obviously all opinions of those who made them) that stated if our bodies don't get the right nutrients, you can eat as many calories of the bad carbs or fat as you want, but essentially your body is still starving for those right nutrients. The articles/documentaries said you can be overweight and still "starving from the inside." In this case the body isn't functioning properly. As I said opinions of those who made them, but helped me to make cleaner eating choices. It works for me, but everyone is different. Good luck with whatever you choose.

I said it's what I chose for me. I think eating processed foods is BS. To each his own. I said for her to make her own choices. I can voice my opinion as much as you can. Can you honestly tell me though, that eating a chocolate bar will nourish your body (keep in mind I am talking about overall health here, not just a number on the scale) more then eating a meal of fresh veggies and good carbs? If you don't agree, please explain why instead of just saying it's BS.
  • otillie03103
    Options

maybe something to back this up? What is BS about it? Are you saying that no matter what someone eats, as long as they have the right amount of calories, they will maintain their health?

If that's what you are saying, then I'd respectfully ask that you bring that statement to a registered dietitian and see what they say about it. Or anyone else that has an advanced degree of human anatomy and physiology. Pretty sure they are going to tell you you're wrong, that it matters a great deal, and that health issues will pop up if you don't eat not only the correct macro-nutrients but also the correct micro-nutrients. If that's not what you're saying, then please explain.

thank you

^^This
  • otillie03103
    Options

People just don't get it when we try to explain this. Because honestly, no one is eating all their calories from one food source. That's why we say it's about moderation. It's perfectly fine to eat at McD's sometimes, and have a cookie sometimes, and have some chocolate sometimes, as long as you stay in a calorie deficit. You will still lose weight. And most likely still be healthy. Because honestly people, no one is eating all of their calories at McD's except someone who is trying to prove a point. Most people are eating a fairly well rounded diet with a few treat foods thrown in there for yum factor. As long as you do that, in moderation, and keep it at a calorie deficit, you will lose weight and be pretty healthy.

I agree that occasional treats are ok, but I am trying to speak to overall health and not just a number on the scale.
  • deksgrl
    deksgrl Posts: 7,237 Member
    Options
    SHboss thanks that was informative and I appreciate it.

Britawatson my down fall is International Delight creamer with sugar in my coffee. I have two cups of coffee in the morning and in the evening I have tea with sugar. I only have one cup of tea., but I use four teaspoons of sugar and I know that is bad. The cup of green tea I have in the evening is like my little addiction. I also love the Weight Watchers cookie dough sundae that has a 140 calories. I am trying so hard to get away from it. I stopped putting sugar in my coffee and I am trying so hard to wing myself off the others.

I stopped drinking that flavored creamer after we had a problem with our refrigerator. Everything in the fridge froze, everything EXCEPT the flavored creamer. The thought that there is some kind of antifreeze in it made us stop drinking it immediately.