Any advice for running?

Options
2»

Replies

• gpizzy
    gpizzy Posts: 171
    Options
    I find there are good run days, great run days, and bad run days. Sometimes I feel like my body weighs a million pounds and it's not always after I take a break. I may have had a great run two days before and then feel like I'm anchored to the ground. This isn't even a result of having a sore body. Somedays, I just dont do as well as others. I get on it with it, and remind myself next time won't be better. Keep consistent, and slow down or adjust what you're doing if it sucks.
  • sjohnny
    sjohnny Posts: 56,142 Member
    Options
    I find there are good run days, great run days, and bad run days. Sometimes I feel like my body weighs a million pounds and it's not always after I take a break. I may have had a great run two days before and then feel like I'm anchored to the ground. This isn't even a result of having a sore body. Somedays, I just dont do as well as others. I get on it with it, and remind myself next time won't be better. Keep consistent, and slow down or adjust what you're doing if it sucks.

That's a horrible attitude. OP, don't listen to this part.
  • ATT949
    ATT949 Posts: 1,245 Member
    Options
    I have greatly progressed in my running since last 5 months or so. I have gone from barley running a mile to running 5 miles....
    but heres the thing. I only ran 5 miles once, and i usually take it easy on the next few days running maybe just 2. But its been maybe 2 weeks since i ran 4 or 5 miles, and it has become such a CHORE to even do 2! My legs are heavy, feeling less confident, feeling tired and sluggish. My feet feel like they are hitting harder than before. I feel like my body is 10000 lbs. I do allow two days rest out of the week. I do drink water during my runs. I was sore last week due to some weights i did, but the soreness has totally gone away, and I still feel far far FAR away from running 5 miles anytime soon.

What is some good advice for me to do to get back in the game? What happened? Is it just all in my head, or is this typical for someone who is still gradually becoming a consistent runner.

I'm curious what experienced runners say about this.

I'm not clear on how much you run.

Have you been running daily but have done 5 miles only once in the last few weeks?

It would be very helpful if you publish your mileage.

Also, there's simply no value in drinking water on short runs. Yes, the popular mantra is "drink, drink, drink" but every piece of research done on water and endurance running indicates that "drinking to thirst" is all that we need to do. Sipping water as we run and "pre-drinking" are of no value to the body.
  • Shriffee
    Shriffee Posts: 250 Member
    Options
    I agree with previous posters. Sign up for a race. When I don't have a goal such as a race in mind, I really just don't have as much motivation for those long runs. My uncle runs a lot of races and takes a week off of running every 4 weeks for his legs to rest. Maybe you need a rest week? If you have a gym you could do the bike/eliptical/classes for cardio. Or even just walking. :)

Good luck!
  • vinniesooner
    vinniesooner Posts: 119 Member
    Options
    I've never been a runner. I even said that I could not be a runner because I have short, stocky legs and bad knees from playing catcher for many years. Plus, I'm asthmatic, old and overweight. Not really the recipe for success. For some crazy reason, I decided that I was siging up for and completing a Tough Mudder. I started one fo those Couch to 1/2 Marathon programs and dedicated myself to the program. I hated it. On November 9th I could not complete a 5K without walking. I stayed with it. I have only missed one workout in two months...and last night ran 8 miles for the first time in my life. It doesn't always feel good and I have to talk myself into it...but as I start seeing results, it has been getting easier. I am enjoying running for the first time in my life.

Set a goal or register for a race. Set your training plan accordingly. Train without fail. Kick *kitten*!
  • TEMMEAlexa
    TEMMEAlexa Posts: 79 Member
    Options
    Consistency is an issue of concern. I recommend that you run only two miles a day every day. Then, proceed to 3, 4, 5. But, never do a big one a day. This will put a sudden stress on your body for which you might be mentally prepared, but not physically. It's better if you push your limits slowly.
  • lmroessler
    lmroessler Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    I've been running for about a year now and have only been able to get up to several miles (8 is the longest run I've done but I consistently run 13-16 miles per week with other workouts on the off days) by taking short walk breaks during my runs. My trainer does this too and convinved me to try it. It has greatly improved my overall mile time - not that I'm breaking records, but I feel good about it.

I run for 9 min 30 seconds, then walk for 30 seconds. It's amazing how that little bit of recovery time has helped me - and knowing you'll be getting a break soon helps a lot with the sluggish feeling. I use a tabata app to time my "runs" and "rest".

But I definitely agree that you will have good days and bad days, and also that a goal would help you get motivated. Since you know you can do 5 miles, I agree with the poster that suggested a 10K. Good luck!
  • franticfoxx
    franticfoxx Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    I run just about everyday except maybe two days of the week. And those days that I run, it usually is a consistant 2 miles, or 3 on some days, all depends if I'm feeling like THIS. After runs I do elliptical, and bike. I do a lot of walking after I run, on inclines. And I do consider myself "running" it would be a jog. That was what helped me before to get to 4 miles. Was to slow down. But now even slowing down is like WOWWW wtf has happened.

Eating wise, I eat a lot of fruit and veggies. I probably could use more carbs. I eat oatmeal every morning no matter what. Lunch is usually small, so it could be that I don't have enough in me when I run. But why is it bothering me now, and not before?

What's your current running schedule/other workouts? Could be you jumped up your mileage too fast or are running too fast. Could be a lot of things. Knowing your schedule would help narrow it down.
    This.

Plus this
    How much are you eating?
  • kmoore02
    kmoore02 Posts: 167 Member
    Options
    It may be better to spread your runs out and run longer instead of everyday. When you start running distance, you have to gradually build up to it or you will get tired and experience dead legs. Running longer and further requires that you build up those leg muscles and use proper running form including breathing. Distance running isn't always about speed, it's about endurance.
    I run just about everyday except maybe two days of the week. And those days that I run, it usually is a consistant 2 miles, or 3 on some days, all depends if I'm feeling like THIS. After runs I do elliptical, and bike. I do a lot of walking after I run, on inclines. And I do consider myself "running" it would be a jog. That was what helped me before to get to 4 miles. Was to slow down. But now even slowing down is like WOWWW wtf has happened.

Eating wise, I eat a lot of fruit and veggies. I probably could use more carbs. I eat oatmeal every morning no matter what. Lunch is usually small, so it could be that I don't have enough in me when I run. But why is it bothering me now, and not before?

What's your current running schedule/other workouts? Could be you jumped up your mileage too fast or are running too fast. Could be a lot of things. Knowing your schedule would help narrow it down.
    This.

Plus this
    How much are you eating?
  • franticfoxx
    Options
    Thank you, I think i will do that. And try not to think about getting there faster, but to just think about the long term advantage.
  • LoosingMyLast15
    LoosingMyLast15 Posts: 1,457 Member
    Options
    I haven't no, I would love too in the future, i'm just nervous that I don't have the confidence yet for it.

yup we all have bad runs from time to time. Races are a great way to keep you motivated. i try and get in one race a month. i ran my first half last year and mostly 5ks. this year i'm running two half marathons and more 10ks than 5s. it definitely keeps you going when you sign up for the races. oh and I highly recommend obstacle races too if you're into them. my first race was an obstacle style mud race. after i crossed the finish line i was hooked!
  • countrygirl7mels
    Options
    I had a similar problem. I started taking a vitamin B complex everyday, and I noticed an increase in energy.

You need to make sure to get enough healthy food, get enough rest, and drink plenty of water.
  • fast_eddie_72
    fast_eddie_72 Posts: 719 Member
    Options
    But its been maybe 2 weeks since i ran 4 or 5 miles, and it has become such a CHORE to even do 2! My legs are heavy, feeling less confident, feeling tired and sluggish.

I try to schedule two days rest before my long run and one day after. Maybe you're running too much. Look at weekly mileage totals as a good indicator of where you are. Rest days are really important. Maybe try running Tuesday, Thursday, and long run on Sunday.

Loads of good advice in this thread.
  • franticfoxx
    Options
    Everyone's been really helpful in this thread. I appreciate it. I think I will take the advice of taking one long run day, and then "easy" runs the others and allow rest days. Maybe do strength training for those days. Thank you everyone.

this is off my topic but does anyone have a problem with their Polar FT4 sensor alwayssss going to zero in mid workout. It will zero out, then go back, then zero out. And i've read EVERYTHING about cleaning it, adjusting it, changing battery. Its so so so frustrating cause i rely on calories burned. Does it work good when you maybe put the sensor in back? I dont know what to do. Such a damn shame. Love that thing, but when this happens its the WORST.
  • AusEliza
    AusEliza Posts: 60 Member
    Options
    I'm slowely improving, but since getting a new ipod I'm a lot more motivated to continue.