Is a calorie a calorie?

Options

Replies

• RGv2
    RGv2 Posts: 5,789 Member
    Options
    You can lose weight eating nothing but twinkies if you have a calorie deficit.

I'd like to see you try.

You know it's been done, right? It's not sustainable, but it's possible. No one here is saying it's healthy, just that it can be done.

^^^This. A Science teacher did it on McDonalds too.

These responses are purely about ability to lose weight on these foods and not about overall health. I am talking about overall health, not just what the number on the scale reads. People can work out all they want, but athletic people can have diabetes, heart disease, hyperlipidemia, etc. as well.

Even if you're just talking about losing weight, I guarantee there are VERY few people who could actually do it. The whole point is coming up with something you can do over the long term. Forcing yourself to lose weight eating junk just to prove a point doesn't make it sound weight loss advice. If you have the kind of will power it would take to do that and not over eat, you probably don't have a weight problem in the first place. Telling someone who does that they can eat only Twinkies and fast food is counter productive.

It's to show that you don't have to eat clean, paleo, vegetarian, vegan, etc.... to lose weight, not to show people that they can live off of said food source.
  • in_the_stars
    in_the_stars Posts: 1,395 Member
    Options
    Ohhhh... do want be heathy or lose weight?
  • cafeaulait7
    cafeaulait7 Posts: 2,459 Member
    Options

I'd like to see you try.

You know it's been done, right? It's not sustainable, but it's possible. No one here is saying it's healthy, just that it can be done.

These responses are purely about ability to lose weight on these foods and not about overall health. I am talking about overall health, not just what the number on the scale reads. People can work out all they want, but athletic people can have diabetes, heart disease, hyperlipidemia, etc. as well.

OP didn't ask about overall heath, they asked about losing/gaining...

Yeah, but same for the 'I only eat 800 calories and exercise 3 hours a day. Will I lose weight?' people. Then just say yes. Because they will lose weight.
  • fast_eddie_72
    fast_eddie_72 Posts: 719 Member
    Options

I'd like to see you try.

Why post this? Does anyone here recommend a Twinkie or McDonalds only diet? Then why muddy the water? Again, if you READ MY POST I say it could be done, but it would suck. Stunts like that are why people are confused. And "could be done" is not the same as "I could do it". I know I couldn't. I wouldn't last two days staying in my calorie goals. There's a lot of "yeah, but technically" on this board. Yeah, but in reality, there's a reason why the Twinkie diet is "That one person who did it once" and not what everyone is trying.

OK, then why muddy the water? OP didn't ask about health and sustainability. OP asked if when it comes to weight, is a calorie a calorie...... Not....no you have to eat clean..paleo...etc for your health.

Okay. A question for you. Someone who is over weight comes to you and says "How do I lose weight?" What do you tell them? Eat anything they want, just count calories? Or would you advise them to properly fuel their body, do some exercise, AND count their calories. Which is more likely to result in weight loss? And there you go with the "Technically" nonsense again. How many people have ever posted something like "I'm over weight. I'd like to get thin, but just for a little bit. Then I'd like to get fat again". You're not trying to help, you're trying to win the internet. Congratulations, you win. Technically the OP didn't say anything about losing weight and keeping it off, practicality, odds of success or the overwhelming mountain of evidence that shows people who are successful at losing weight tend to follow some common sense advice.

You win. Congratulations. Feel better?
  • RGv2
    Options

I'd like to see you try.

OP didn't ask about overall heath, they asked about losing/gaining...

Yeah, but same for the 'I only eat 800 calories and exercise 3 hours a day. Will I lose weight?' people. Then just say yes. Because they will lose weight.

And those threads have become so common now, most do just say yes....

And then wait for the "OMG I crash and burned" thread.
  • otillie03103
    otillie03103 Posts: 107 Member
    Options

I'd like to see you try.

Even if you're just talking about losing weight, I guarantee there are VERY few people who could actually do it. The whole point is coming up with something you can do over the long term. Forcing yourself to lose weight eating junk just to prove a point doesn't make it sound weight loss advice. If you have the kind of will power it would take to do that and not over eat, you probably don't have a weight problem in the first place. Telling someone who does that they can eat only Twinkies and fast food is counter productive.

It's to show that you don't have to eat clean, paleo, vegetarian, vegan, etc.... to lose weight, not to show people that they can live off of said food source.

I agree with this. Sometimes in these boards it doesn't come across that way. I am just looking at it from another angle. She didn't specify, but she didn't say she didn't want to be healthy either. Nothing wrong with putting it out there, because some people honestly don't realize that they can't live off those food sources long term and try to.
  • otillie03103
    Options

I'd like to see you try.

Why post this? Does anyone here recommend a Twinkie or McDonalds only diet? Then why muddy the water? Again, if you READ MY POST I say it could be done, but it would suck. Stunts like that are why people are confused. And "could be done" is not the same as "I could do it". I know I couldn't. I wouldn't last two days staying in my calorie goals. There's a lot of "yeah, but technically" on this board. Yeah, but in reality, there's a reason why the Twinkie diet is "That one person who did it once" and not what everyone is trying.

OK, then why muddy the water? OP didn't ask about health and sustainability. OP asked if when it comes to weight, is a calorie a calorie...... Not....no you have to eat clean..paleo...etc for your health.

Okay. A question for you. Someone who is over weight comes to you and says "How do I lose weight?" What do you tell them? Eat anything they want, just count calories? Or would you advise them to properly fuel their body, do some exercise, AND count their calories. Which is more likely to result in weight loss? And there you go with the "Technically" nonsense again. How many people have ever posted something like "I'm over weight. I'd like to get thin, but just for a little bit. Then I'd like to get fat again". You're not trying to help, you're trying to win the internet. Congratulations, you win. Technically the OP didn't say anything about losing weight and keeping it off, practicality, odds of success or the overwhelming mountain of evidence that shows people who are successful at losing weight tend to follow some common sense advice.

^^This
  • RGv2
    Options

:laugh:

Hit your macros and micros, stay within your calories goals, don't call foods "good" or "bad", don't restrict your diet so you have to cut-out the foods you enjoy (moderation), and exercise for fitness, not for weight loss.
  • otillie03103
    Options

[/quote]

Does this honestly help the person though? They gave the opportunity, if you know it's wrong, to speak up.
  • fast_eddie_72
    Options

Just for the record, what you're saying here is you are annoyed by threads like this and you are intentionally giving advice you know is poor and acknowledge that following that advice will not result in success. Thanks. Good to have you around. If you're annoyed by the fact that there are people only now starting to lose weight and you've not willing to give them good advice, maybe you should just move on to some other thread. Just a painfully obvious suggestion. Take it for what it's worth.
  • fast_eddie_72
    Options

Hit your macros and micros, stay within your calories goals, don't call foods "good" or "bad", don't restrict your diet so you have to cut-out the foods you enjoy (moderation), and exercise for fitness, not for weight loss.

Then please stop posting things that suggest people should eat only Twinkies or junk food. I knew you knew better. And if you go back up to my original post, that's pretty much what I said. So why jump on the bandwagon of saying I was wrong?
  • Hornsby
    Hornsby Posts: 10,322 Member
    Options
    What always confused me is a calorie is a calorie but what if 100 calorie dessert has 10g of fat as opposed to 100 calorie steamed veggie dish with only 2g of fat??

The veggies with 2g of fat will probably have more carbs than the dessert because in the end Calories are made up of Protein, Carbs and Fat.

How do you figure?

Everything is made up of some combination of Carbs Protein and fat to make up the amount of calories. Vegetables are generally mostly carbs with few fat and Protein. Dessert with 10g of fat will probably have some amount of carbs and protein also so make up the calories. It was a general example. I was trying to point out the fact that the vegetables would have their calories coming from Carbohydrates vs the dessert where the calories are coming from fat.

I understand what you are trying to say. You are just wrong, unfortunately. Carbs aren't mostly carbs. Not sure where you got that from, and desserts are normally filled with carbs/sugar.
  • RGv2
    Options

Then please stop posting things that suggest people should eat only Twinkies or junk food. I knew you knew better. And if you go back up to my original post, that's pretty much what I said. So why jump on the bandwagon of saying I was wrong?

Where did I say people should only eat twinkies and where did I say you were wrong. Person stated you can lose weight even if your deficit was from twinkies, you stated "I'd like to see you try", poseter said it has been done, I agreed with that poster and stated it could be done with McDonalds (Said Science teacher was able to hit his calorie goals AND macros BTW)

You're trying too hard now.
  • perseverance14
    perseverance14 Posts: 1,364 Member
    Options
    If you are looking at calories just to lose weight, a calorie is a calorie. If you care about the nutrition, eat healthy food.

Please define "healthy" food, newbie.
    Foods that provide better nourishment, so you get what you need to live and stay healthy. I don't think the 1.0 g of protein in a Twinkie makes up for the rest. This is an example of what I think of as a "not healthy" food, why would I want to eat something that not only provides little nutrition but also is loaded with stuff known through myriad scientific studies to cause health problems? I know you can eat a little and get away with it, but why would I want to where there are much healthier (and better tasting IMHO) options?

Hostess Twinkie:

Calories 150
    Calories from Fat 41
    Total Fat 4.5g 7%
    Saturated Fat 2.5g 13%
    Cholesterol 20mg 7%
    Sodium 220mg 9%
    Carbohydrates 27.0g 9%
    Dietary Fiber 0.0g 0%
    Sugars 18.0g
    Protein 1.0g
  • in_the_stars
    in_the_stars Posts: 1,395 Member
    Options

I don't need to lose weight, I'm just looking at continuing to be healthy and fit. I don't care about calories or carbs, jut micros.

:flowerforyou:
  • RGv2
    Options

Does this honestly help the person though? They gave the opportunity, if you know it's wrong, to speak up.
    [/quote]

How does it help a person by telling them they need to cut foods out of their diet when they don't need to?
  • otillie03103
    Options
    I'm saying it doesn't help people who you know are eating only 800 calories and just waiting for them to crash and burn. Not that they need to eliminate foods.
  • mccindy72
    mccindy72 Posts: 7,001 Member
    Options
    If any of you had paid attention at the very beginning, you'd have noticed that the original advice was not to eat just twinkies, or just cookies, or just lettuce, or just anything. The original advice is always to find the best balance of food that works for you in moderation, for sustainability. Most people aren't going to find success in weight loss by giving up the foods they like and eating only carrots and chicken. They are going to find success by eating a good combination of protein, carbs, fats and vegetables and fruits, with some treat food thrown in for enjoyment, all while working out how to keep a calorie deficit. That's why we advise still eating a Twinkie now and then if you want it, and eating at McD's now and then if you want it. If you don't want it, don't eat it. But don't come on here and tell everyone else who is struggling to lose weight and might be feeling guilty about eating a cheeseburger that they've now destroyed their bodies by eating such "HORRIBLE" food. Food is not 'bad' and won't hurt you, not in moderation. It absolutely destroys the confidence of the noobs who are just getting started when they try to ask questions about calories and fat and carbs and everyone who is doing Paleo and low-carb and vegan jumps down their throats about how they are destroying not only their own bodies, but the very planet itself by eating fast food or something that's not on some dietary list of acceptable food.

Here's a little secret for you: no matter how clean you eat, or how healthy, or how much you weigh, or how pretty you are, you're still going to die.
  • Mcgrawhaha
    Mcgrawhaha Posts: 1,596 Member
    Options
    This is sad because very poor information is dominating this thread. OP, this has been posted 100,000 times this month alone. Go read other threads about this. Yours has been stolen by people that are pushing their agenda that there are good and bad calories. Reading too much Gary Taubes, I suspect. A calorie is a unit of measure. You can lose weight eating nothing but twinkies if you have a calorie deficit. Is it healthy to do that? Of course not. But, to answer your question, yes, a calorie is just a calorie. It is a unit of measure. To deny that fact is to say a mile isn't a mile or 5 lbs isn't 5 lbs. it's a silly trite argument. Yes, a calorie is a calorie.

but how can 5 miles be the same as 5 miles? makes no sense!
  • karah0011
    karah0011 Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    Yes, but they are NOT created equal!