Sandwich Help!!

Options
13»

Replies

• Egger29
    Egger29 Posts: 14,741 Member
    Options
    I love mayo. Love it, love it, love it. Especially on sandwiches. I'd rather eat sand than a dry sandwich. I have really tried to use the lowfat mayo because the calories in regular mayo are ridiculous, but I just can't do it. I can't stand the taste. Does anyone have any good alternatives to use on sandwiches so they aren't dry??

I've got a recipie at home for an all natural mayo in one of my excellent fitness references. While I haven't tried it myself, I'm flagging this feed and will share it later this evening if you'd like to give it a try.

Alot of commercial mayos are bad from the Trans Fats. If you can make it yourself, you're giving yourself alot better quality ingredient wise.
  • hyenagirl
    hyenagirl Posts: 206 Member
    Options
    Hummus. I put it on my sandwiches now. 1 tbsp of Hellman's light mayo has 35 cals and3.5 grams of fat. 1 tbsp of Athenos Roasted red pepper hummus has 25 calories and 1.5 grams of fat (serving on the container says 2 tb).

I use hummus as my salad and sandwich dressing of choice.
  • Cytherea
    Cytherea Posts: 515 Member
    Options
    I found a lite mayo that is really good; I'll edit with the brand when I can get home and check it. I can't even tell a difference.

Other than that though, I've stopped eating sandwiches. Since it is the dryness of the bread that causes you to use condiments (mustard is ok, but mayo/olive oil/dressing adds up FAST), I take a few slices of meat (ham, usually) and a string cheese and eat that instead of a traditional sandwich. I find that I enjoy the parts together separately more than I do together. You can't really taste the cheese when it is masked by bread and mayo or mustard or whatever and meat. So why waste those cals?

Lettuce helps too. There is so much water in lettuce that it really helps the sandwich. You can cut the mayo usage in half, saving you those cals/fat so you can use regular mayo, and add as much lettuce (or something else, like sprouts work too!) as you want/need to make up for it!

So do pickles. When I make tuna, I only put a tiny bit of mayo, and then cut up pickles and add them to the tuna. I use some extra pickle juice from the jar to make it more moist. A lot of people use lemon juice too, which I don't like, but could work to have the same effect. Either one will make the tuna less dry, more tasty, and cut down the mayo!
  • iuew
    iuew Posts: 624 Member
    Options
    i love the low fat mayos from kraft. they have a chipotle one that is really good.

if not, you can just put less than a serving of regular mayo.

if you need a lot of sauce, many honey mustards are just awesome. i often prefer them to mayo. also, you can skip the cheese to give yourself some wiggle room calorie wise.
  • JLRoberts
    Options
    I'm really weird and eat tuna right out of the can, without any mayo.

Buttttttt... if you're looking for something to add to your sandwitches, try Extra Virgin Olive Oil, Greek Yougurt, or Taco Bell sauce - (which has NOTHING in it, at all.)

Also, be careful with the bread. You can make up for a lot of the calories/fat/carbs by eatting better bread. I eat multigrain breads with NO SUGAR. (most people don't realize there is a lot of sugar in bread, and most bread is the equivilent of eatting cake!)

did you know you can mix tuna with fat free cream cheese and your normal tuna fixings (celery, onion, garlic powder ect.) and it is like using mayo... it is quite good... am not sure what the calorie count it adds though!
  • Mrbackslap
    Options
    Smart Beat Mayo.
    Its pretty much fake mayo lol
  • abtropix
    abtropix Posts: 133 Member
    Options
    Dijonnaise, Grey Poupon, avocado (mmmmm), hummus (you can do your own really easy), blend cottage cheese with dill, or capers, or olives, or onions, etc. Gives you a smooth, different taste. Blend it with fetta cheese as well, and a little rosemary twigs and olive oil. Try pesto, as well, but go light on the oil, or make it yourself.
  • tbernard
    tbernard Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    Dijon Mustard
  • selbyhutch
    selbyhutch Posts: 531 Member
    Options
    It's already been said, but I use laughing cow or hummus. Heck, sometimes I still use mayo... but I just use a tiny bit to wet the bread. I'm a fan of Kraft w/ Olive Oil.
  • Dragonfly11
    Dragonfly11 Posts: 672 Member
    Options
    I haven't tried it...but I hear that Dijonaise is really good...I know it's really low in calories.

Dijonaise totally rocks- think creamy mustard smooth and tangy!! also using kraft mayo w/ olive oil-DH can't even tell the diffence .. that much, laughing cow lite - and all the new amazing flavors are a great option, avocado,oil and vinegar, hummus, greek yogurt if you like --
    Be adventurous and mix it up you never know what works until you try it!

Good luck,
    j
  • Egger29
    Egger29 Posts: 14,741 Member
    Options
    Below is a recipie for homemade mayonnaise which is a healthier alternative to most of the Store bought stuff and comes from cookingforengineers.com.

Directions:
    Whisk together two large egg yolks, three tablespoons of lemon juice, a quarter tablespoon of salt and a pinch of pepper. Slowly add a cup of very light olive oil by drizzling some, whisking until it solidifies, then drizzling some more. After a few minutes, you have a great-tasting mayo, and you can make it even better with Dijon Mustard, Garlic, or parmesan, alone or in Combination.

(Ref. The New Rules of Lifting - Chapter 22 "Clean Eating")
  • iampam654
    Options
    Laughing cow cheese or hummus!!!!

i recommend laughing cow, especially the garlic and herb on turkey yummmm! and hummus is always a great alternative and it comes in so many different flavors, you have a lot to work with
  • modernfemme
    modernfemme Posts: 454 Member
    Options
    honey mustard. thumbs up!
  • NoAdditives
    NoAdditives Posts: 4,251 Member
    Options
    I use Kraft Mayo with olive oil. I don't notice a difference in taste on a sandwich and it has very few calories. If you're having trouble reducing cals on a sandwich you might try reducing the amount of cheese put on it.
  • sarahtiano
    sarahtiano Posts: 78 Member
    Options
    I use Tofutti cream cheese. It's made of tofu (which sounds weird but it tastes delicious!) VERY few calories and it's really good for you!
  • kayemme
    kayemme Posts: 1,782 Member
    Options
    i still use mayonnaise, i just use less of it. and you can make your own pretty easily, but it doesn't really affect the fat content. it's still egg & oil no matter how you slice it.

i use less of the mayo and bump up the mustard content.

i also like italian style sandwiches which are rather dry: crusty bread, cheeses, thin meats and olive oil.

when i make mayo at home, i use half olive oil and half vegetable oil.
  • momtodeshawn
    momtodeshawn Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    I still use mayo.....the thought of anything else....ewww. lol I figure, I don't use a lot to begin with and in a sandwich, my biggest problem isn't with the dressing, it's that the BREAD is so high in calories. lol
  • TropicalKitty
    TropicalKitty Posts: 2,298 Member
    Options
    Below is a recipie for homemade mayonnaise which is a healthier alternative to most of the Store bought stuff and comes from cookingforengineers.com.

Directions:
    Whisk together two large egg yolks, three tablespoons of lemon juice, a quarter tablespoon of salt and a pinch of pepper. Slowly add a cup of very light olive oil by drizzling some, whisking until it solidifies, then drizzling some more. After a few minutes, you have a great-tasting mayo, and you can make it even better with Dijon Mustard, Garlic, or parmesan, alone or in Combination.

(Ref. The New Rules of Lifting - Chapter 22 "Clean Eating")

Thanks for the recipe! I totally prefer homemade stuff over premade. I'll have to try this!