How long before I lose 50 lbs with a 1200 cal diet?

Options

Replies

• usmcmp
    usmcmp Posts: 21,220 Member
    Options
    I'm 5'9" and I tried sticking to 1200, but I couldn't do it. When I increased to 1600 I did much better. I can currently eat at 2000 and lose weight (because of strength training).
  • _chiaroscuro
    _chiaroscuro Posts: 1,340 Member
    Options
    I'm a University student (20 years old, female) and I'm 5 feet and nine inches. I weight around 195 lbs (last time I checked). I don't want to change my diet (I still want to be able to eat pizza, burgers, wings, sushi from time to time when I go out with friends and to have a drink here and there) but I did lower my calorie intake to 1200 cal a day. I'm still eating the same way but I lowered my portions (I had always eaten lots of greens, low-fat products, low-salt etc).

I started two weeks ago. This is my first time trying this out. I was wondering how long it's going to take to go down to 145 lbs while taking into account that I am not counting proteins or carbs (I have very little time as a full-time University student with a full-time job) but just by lowering my calorie intake.

Also, if anyone has tips on food to eat to help lower your weight, that would be appreciated.

Thanks

Probably never given your unwillingness to make REAL changes.

You want to eat junk food
    You want to drink
    You do NOT want to count your macros
    You only want to cut down to 1200 calories

And you want to lose 50 pounds??? If you can't make these types of sacrifices for a few months, its doubtful you will even stick to your 1200 calories.

You don't need to do any of those things to lose weight. I ate 1200 calories a day, full of junk food and didn't track my macros and lost about 50lbs in just over a year. I agree they're all good ideas that will probably help, but not necessary.

My point is that the most important change needs to happen between the ears. When someone starts off with I want to eat junk food, I want to drink, I'm too busy to track my macros, then well.......I have to chuckle. Because they will fail before they ever begin. Its systemic of the "I want results" but I don't want to put in the work generation. Sorry, but she needs a reality check. Nothing comes easy.................

Actually, if someone loses weight by making lifestyle changes that aren't going to sustain, their chances of gaining all the weight back plus some increase significantly. That includes those who lose weight with the pills and the shakes, as well as those who give up everything they enjoy. It's much better to create a sustainable plan that fits within a person's lifestyle.

And quit painting with such a broad brush. Not every young person lacks tenacity and work ethic. Kinda like not every 50 year old man is a bitter crank.
  • MTCBVBC20CAM
    MTCBVBC20CAM Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    Thanks Quietsmile

And I'll check out that post (sexypants as well)
  • DemoraFairy
    DemoraFairy Posts: 1,806 Member
    Options
    I'm a University student (20 years old, female) and I'm 5 feet and nine inches. I weight around 195 lbs (last time I checked). I don't want to change my diet (I still want to be able to eat pizza, burgers, wings, sushi from time to time when I go out with friends and to have a drink here and there) but I did lower my calorie intake to 1200 cal a day. I'm still eating the same way but I lowered my portions (I had always eaten lots of greens, low-fat products, low-salt etc).

I started two weeks ago. This is my first time trying this out. I was wondering how long it's going to take to go down to 145 lbs while taking into account that I am not counting proteins or carbs (I have very little time as a full-time University student with a full-time job) but just by lowering my calorie intake.

Also, if anyone has tips on food to eat to help lower your weight, that would be appreciated.

Thanks

Probably never given your unwillingness to make REAL changes.

You want to eat junk food
    You want to drink
    You do NOT want to count your macros
    You only want to cut down to 1200 calories

And you want to lose 50 pounds??? If you can't make these types of sacrifices for a few months, its doubtful you will even stick to your 1200 calories.

You don't need to do any of those things to lose weight. I ate 1200 calories a day, full of junk food and didn't track my macros and lost about 50lbs in just over a year. I agree they're all good ideas that will probably help, but not necessary.

My point is that the most important change needs to happen between the ears. When someone starts off with I want to eat junk food, I want to drink, I'm too busy to track my macros, then well.......I have to chuckle. Because they will fail before they ever begin. Its systemic of the "I want results" but I don't want to put in the work generation. Sorry, but she needs a reality check. Nothing comes easy.................

As much as I agree that you need to change your outlook to a certain extent, I think you're taking what she said a little too far. Of course people still want to eat junk food when they diet, and that's part of the beauty of the calorie counting diet - you can. And it's meant to be a sustainable diet that you'll stick with, I doubt she wants to cut junk food from her life entirely. Plus it's not like she's stuffing her face with pizza and drinking herself silly every night, she did say 'time to time'. I think she's being perfectly reasonable. She is going to put in the work - she's going to eat a deficit, and ultimately that's all she needs to do.

As for whether or not 1200 is the right amount and she can stick to it, that's another matter. I had no difficulty at all sticking to 1200, but I am 4 inches shorter with a significantly lower TDEE.
  • _chiaroscuro
    Options
    Thanks Quietsmile

And I'll check out that post (sexypants as well)

Sure thing! :drinker:
    And don't listen to people who say you aren't dedicated because you want to still enjoy things (in moderation) while becoming more fit. You only lack dedication if you don't follow through with your plan.
  • TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    Options
    Just curious for those who say 1200 is too low ... when I entered my info into this site, it recommended I eat 1200 calories a day. What guidelines do you use to determine your daily calories??

The site "recommends" 1200 calories a day based upon a mathematical equation............you supplied the "I want to lose XX pounds per week".............that's merely as low as MFP will go.......not a one-size-fits all "correct" number.

The sexypants thread is VERY helpful
  • MTCBVBC20CAM
    Options
    Greenrun99

I do know that I need to change certain things but I already eat healthy (greens, fruits, nuts, meat, low-fat, low-salt, low-cholesterol products). What I meant by still being able to drink here and there and eat junk food here and there is that I want to be realistic. As a student who hangs out with other students, I'm bound to go out to a restaurant a few times in say, a month, at least. I haven't drank in over two months and I don't eat much junk food to start off with but I do like being able to have the freedom to eat the same way I do now. So say I want chicken fingers, I'll eat three instead of six, or I'll have one slice of pizza and instead of having fries with it...I'll have salad. I still want to eat what I desire. I just want to make sure I eat it in good quantities so that if I do want a chocolate bar once in awhile, I can do it (I just need to count it in my calorie intake).

You do have a point though, the better regiments start with being willing to change things. You are absolutely right. But in my case, I'm not expecting to lose the 50 lbs in a short period of time.It might take over a year. That's fine. Besides, I actually only need to lose thirty lbs to be in a healthy weight category. The fifty lbs is the goal I'm aiming for in the long run. I don't want to change to a diet that I would quit after a few weeks. I want to change the amount I eat (as well as a few admittedly bad eating habits) so that over time it can become a lifestyle. And as I get used to eating smaller portions and counting calories, I can eventually add on the counting of the proteins & carbs and replace a few items with better and healthy items. But this isn't something I can do overnight. It's something that will be gradual and take time. Very few people can go from not counting calories or checking everything they eat to counting macromolecule that enters your body. But I hope that one day I will be able to.
  • simplykristie
    simplykristie Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    Hi :) I am a 5ft 6in female who is 165lbs I also have the same caloric intake of 1200 calories a day. My goal is to be 130 lbs, so I definitely have a long way to go! I joined myfitnesspal back in 2010 and I had the same goals then as I do now. I weighed 165 lbs then and with the 1200 caloric intake plus daily exercise of at least an hour, I lost the 35 lbs in 3 months.I know that it is different tho for every person, so my weightloss may not be the same for you. You could lose the weight faster or slower, just depends on your lifestyle. For me, when I lost the 35 lbs in 3 months, I was extremely focused. I was often below the 1200 caloric intake because I was working out. I would burn about 600 calories a day... I gained all that weight back after not watching my diet and when I stopped exercising. But now I am getting back into it, and I am hopefully I can lose those 35 lbs again! You can do you too!
  • MTCBVBC20CAM
    Options
    Thank you Quietsmile. And it's okay. Some people are more dedicated than others and I admire them. I just plan on taking small steps to achieve the bigger goal over time because I'm aware that all my motivation goes into my studies at the moment. All I want to do is dedicate myself to this small-scale plan (1200 cal) and eventually grow from there. Summer will help too, given the extra time for exercise. You've been a lot of help. Thanks :)
  • MTCBVBC20CAM
    Options
    Thanks simplykristie :)
  • sarainiowa
    sarainiowa Posts: 287 Member
    Options
    My personal experience is that I'm doing the 1200 calories a day. I've been doing it for 2 weeks and dropped 4 pounds. I've not been perfect. I've had a couple cheat days. That being said, you can drop weight not changing your foods and change your portions but it's going to take time. None of us gained the weight over night or a week, none of us will drop the weight in a night or week. This takes commitment and work. When you're willing to do that, then I'm sure you'll see the changes you want.
  • scottYBRIDGEWATER
    Options
    Greenrun99

I do know that I need to change certain things but I already eat healthy (greens, fruits, nuts, meat, low-fat, low-salt, low-cholesterol products). What I meant by still being able to drink here and there and eat junk food here and there is that I want to be realistic. As a student who hangs out with other students, I'm bound to go out to a restaurant a few times in say, a month, at least. I haven't drank in over two months and I don't eat much junk food to start off with but I do like being able to have the freedom to eat the same way I do now. So say I want chicken fingers, I'll eat three instead of six, or I'll have one slice of pizza and instead of having fries with it...I'll have salad. I still want to eat what I desire. I just want to make sure I eat it in good quantities so that if I do want a chocolate bar once in awhile, I can do it (I just need to count it in my calorie intake).

You do have a point though, the better regiments start with being willing to change things. You are absolutely right. But in my case, I'm not expecting to lose the 50 lbs in a short period of time.It might take over a year. That's fine. Besides, I actually only need to lose thirty lbs to be in a healthy weight category. The fifty lbs is the goal I'm aiming for in the long run. I don't want to change to a diet that I would quit after a few weeks. I want to change the amount I eat (as well as a few admittedly bad eating habits) so that over time it can become a lifestyle. And as I get used to eating smaller portions and counting calories, I can eventually add on the counting of the proteins & carbs and replace a few items with better and healthy items. But this isn't something I can do overnight. It's something that will be gradual and take time. Very few people can go from not counting calories or checking everything they eat to counting macromolecule that enters your body. But I hope that one day I will be able to.

Then, I apologize for my earlier post. It seemed that you wanted to lose a lot of weight with out making any real changes to your lifestyle. Caloric deficits are all well and good. I went a little extreme and dropped about 40lbs in 2 months by taking it down to 600-1200 calories a day and fasting. That is why i am a cranking 50 year old. But it was worth it, providing I didn't completely eff up my metabolism, which i doubt. Anyway, I am up to 1300-1700 calories. Hit the weights and add cardio or it will be like running in quicksand and get very frustrating just dieting. You may want to consider making a meal plan that you will eat similar items each day week so you can track macros. Dieting is about calories, but your macros are about your metabolism.
  • sloth3toes
    sloth3toes Posts: 2,212 Member
    Options
    quietsmile,

Please adopt MTCBVBC20CAM ( adopt-a-noob )

You guys seem like a perfect fit. I mean that sincerely.

:smile:
  • hotmess1980
    Options
    Heyyy...So, I am 5'9" and it took me approximately 6 months to lose 50 pounds on 1200 calories. But that was not really allowing any unhealthy eating, booze, sweets ect. (I only splurged a handful of times in the time that it took me to lose 100 pounds) and almost daily exercise even though most days my exercise was walking. I also had about 100 pounds to lose total. Every body is different...and every body reacts differently to food/calorie restriction and exercise. So no one can really tell you how long it will take you to lose 50 pounds....just how long it took them to do so. Good luck getting there...You can do it!
    Ps. I gained 25 pounds back (I let myself go a liiiitle too much, lol) and am working on getting them off again...so, if you want a new friend that will support encourage and cheer you on to reach your goals...feel free to add me.
  • _chiaroscuro
    Options
    quietsmile,

Please adopt MTCBVBC20CAM ( adopt-a-noob )

You guys seem like a perfect fit. I mean that sincerely.

:smile:
    :blushing:
    Yeah? I wanted a noob, but wasn't sure if I'd have enough to offer. Okay what the hell, if I don't know the answer my friends will.

MTCBVBC20CAM I'll send you a friend request. I'd be happy to help out and offer encouragement if you'd like. NO pressure, if you want to just do your own thing you don't have to accept; that's totally fine.
  • joan23_us
    joan23_us Posts: 263 Member
    Options
    50 lbs to loose, you need about 50 weeks as well and that is by systematically improving your fitness and nutrition. Granting you dont want to count macros, you can just put a measurement on the foods you eat say a fist size of meat or poultry, a palm size of fish, a handful of this and a cup of that but you have to record it, theres no way around it. If you dont you will get lost in the process when you dont see any weight changes... why, coz you wont have datas to comeback to for you to be able to adjust. Same with exercise, if you dont record it how would you know if your 20 minutes cardio is enough this week say to warrant fat loss. I do flexible dieting which means i allow myself to eat the foods i want but that doesnt mean i eat KFC OR MCDONALDS all the time, i eat it if i want it. DIET CONSISTENCY AND SYSTEMATICALLY INCREASING CARDIO is what will get you closer to your goal, weight resistance is not a bad idea either if you want to improve your overall body composition.
  • getitamb
    getitamb Posts: 2,019 Member
    Options
    In my opinion, I think some ppl think you started off with a lot of excuses of what you don't want to do or try. And what you will. Continue doing. I've lost weight with eating what I want and reAlly healthy eating. I've just lost it quicker and simpler eating healthy. But not about me, it's about what u asked. They set me at 1300 and I set myself to active and switched it to 1620. The way I was able to do that is bc I walk 10,000 steps a day no matter what. So I don't like the 1200 calorie thing it's not for me. I like to eat. But I say just try it out. See what works for you.
  • joan23_us
    joan23_us Posts: 263 Member
    Options
    Just curious for those who say 1200 is too low ... when I entered my info into this site, it recommended I eat 1200 calories a day. What guidelines do you use to determine your daily calories??

please read, good guidelines

http://www.simplyshredded.com/layne-norton-the-most-effective-cutting-diet.html
  • MTCBVBC20CAM
    Options
    Greenrun99

Then, I apologize for my earlier post. It seemed that you wanted to lose a lot of weight with out making any real changes to your lifestyle. Caloric deficits are all well and good. I went a little extreme and dropped about 40lbs in 2 months by taking it down to 600-1200 calories a day and fasting. That is why i am a cranking 50 year old. But it was worth it, providing I didn't completely eff up my metabolism, which i doubt. Anyway, I am up to 1300-1700 calories. Hit the weights and add cardio or it will be like running in quicksand and get very frustrating just dieting. You may want to consider making a meal plan that you will eat similar items each day week so you can track macros. Dieting is about calories, but your macros are about your metabolism.

I started swimming once a week for about 60 minutes. I know it's not much but it's a start. I also started going skating once every two weeks and have been trying out salsa and bachata once a week (when labs and midterms allow it). During the summer, I'll be doing lots of cardio though. My schedule right now doesn't allow for much. Last year I tried setting an unrealistic goal of going swimming three times a week (I'm not fond of running) but I gave up after a month. So this semester I decide to set a min of 1 instead of 3 swim workouts. The others (should there be more workouts during the week) are bonuses. This way I don't feel discouraged. This summer I'll have plenty of time though. I will also take into account macros later on when I get used to just counting calories. As it is, I'm just getting used to it. Thanks :)
  • scottYBRIDGEWATER
    Options
    Greenrun99

I started swimming once a week for about 60 minutes. I know it's not much but it's a start. I also started going skating once every two weeks and have been trying out salsa and bachata once a week (when labs and midterms allow it). During the summer, I'll be doing lots of cardio though. My schedule right now doesn't allow for much. Last year I tried setting an unrealistic goal of going swimming three times a week (I'm not fond of running) but I gave up after a month. So this semester I decide to set a min of 1 instead of 3 swim workouts. The others (should there be more workouts during the week) are bonuses. This way I don't feel discouraged. This summer I'll have plenty of time though. I will also take into account macros later on when I get used to just counting calories. As it is, I'm just getting used to it. Thanks :)

Why not weight training? Are you near a gym? Its probably the quickest and most effective way toward weight loss.