Cottage Cheese

Options
cooper21120
cooper21120 Posts: 34 Member
Hi,

I love cottage cheese, and actually like the taste, however would like to experiment with new flavours, does anyone have any interesting ways of eating it? I am especially interested in dessert style recipes :)

Replies

• knra_grl
    knra_grl Posts: 1,568 Member
    Options
    I like fruit with it - pineapple and strawberries are my fave additions
  • cooper21120
    Options

Have you tried it with apple? What are the textures like together? I usually play safe and stay savoury trying to make myself try new tastes this year though!
  • stephgetsfit2
    stephgetsfit2 Posts: 72 Member
    Options
    I like to buy the 100 calorie Breakstone's cottage cheese. It comes in a little container with cottage cheese on one side and a fruit sauce on the other and you mix it in yourself. My favorite is Pineapple!
  • cooper21120
    Options
    I like to buy the 100 calorie Breakstone's cottage cheese. It comes in a little container with cottage cheese on one side and a fruit sauce on the other and you mix it in yourself. My favorite is Pineapple!

I have never heard of that (I am in the uk) it sounds a little like a muller corner though but cottage cheese instead of yogurt, oh yumm I could try it with a little jam, thanks :)
  • smiletime82
    Options
    I usually make it with fruit, but if I don't want sweet, it is good with fresh dill.
  • impaula1950
    impaula1950 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I use cottage cheese as a dip for apples. I was leery at first, but thought it is cheese. I also put it on a bed of lettuce w sprinkled pepper.
  • amypomm
    amypomm Posts: 140 Member
    Options
    I use Cottage cheese in my tacos instead of sour cream.
  • stealthq
    stealthq Posts: 4,298 Member
    Options

I have never heard of that (I am in the uk) it sounds a little like a muller corner though but cottage cheese instead of yogurt, oh yumm I could try it with a little jam, thanks :)

Along the same idea, try adding applesauce. I usually use equal volumes unsweetened applesauce to cottage cheese. I really like it that way.
  • jenndwhite
    Options
    Hot sauce!!
  • AsianSuperfly
    AsianSuperfly Posts: 73 Member
    Options
    Mix it with cabbage or precut coleslaw mix. You can eat it that way or add some hot sauce and drop it onto a burrito or taco for pure awesomeness.
  • jmc0806
    jmc0806 Posts: 1,444 Member
    Options

Have you tried it with apple? What are the textures like together? I usually play safe and stay savoury trying to make myself try new tastes this year though!

I've had it with tiny pieces of apple in the Breakstone cottage doubles and it was really good. If you want a kick to it, try it with sriracha
  • cooper21120
    Options
    Ooh apple sauce that sounds super! Loving all these ideas who knew cottage cheese was so versatile! Keep them coming please :)
  • Imanido
    Imanido Posts: 186 Member
    Options
    Sainsbury's sell it with pineapple, really nice, give it a try.
  • katy84o
    katy84o Posts: 744 Member
    Options
    Pineapple with cottage cheese is the best fruit to pair with it in my opinion. Try it, you'll love it!
  • cooper21120
    Options
    Ah that sounds fantastic, love tacos!
  • leapsonbounds
    leapsonbounds Posts: 77 Member
    Options
    I have it with a little bit of honey, cinnamon sprinkled on it, and chopped walnuts. Mix it all together, and it has a nice taste & good crunch.
  • 125KC
    125KC Posts: 71 Member
    Options
    My breakfast every morning is 1/2 cup fat free cottage cheese, 1/2 cup fat free plain greek yogurt, 1/4 cup pumpkin flax granola, and 1 tbsp dried barberries. I've used dried blueberries or cranberries (unsweetened) too. I like tart, so the plain yogurt is best for me, but I have used the kind with the fruit mixed in too.
  • LiftHeavyWeights
    LiftHeavyWeights Posts: 336 Member
    Options
    Try it with almonds. That's what I use as my evening snack as it has protein & good fat.
  • ladyace0007
    Options
    I usually just eat it plain, too. But it's also good with pineapple, spiced pears, granola or cheerios and honey, raisins and sliced banns, strawberry preserves, heated blueberries. Basically anything you would top yogurt with would probably be good to try.

Also, if you're looking to use it in savory dishes, try adding it to a flatbread pizza or mixing it in with some egg noodles. Here's a good recipe to try: http://thepioneerwoman.com/cooking/2011/03/sour-cream-noodle-bake/. To make it healthier, you can use ground turkey instead of ground chuck and replace the sour cream with plain yogurt (or more cottage cheese!).
  • cooper21120
    Options
    My breakfast every morning is 1/2 cup fat free cottage cheese, 1/2 cup fat free plain greek yogurt, 1/4 cup pumpkin flax granola, and 1 tbsp dried barberries. I've used dried blueberries or cranberries (unsweetened) too. I like tart, so the plain yogurt is best for me, but I have used the kind with the fruit mixed in too.

Might have this for breakfast tomorrow! Thanks!