Why is diet pop bad for weight loss?

Options
Please help me understand this. Diet pop is zero calories. I need a reason to get rid of it. I love my Diet Pepsi! Has anyone out there seen success with giving up their diet sodas?

Replies

• wheird
    wheird Posts: 7,963 Member
    Options
    It isn't bad. I drink several Coke Zero's per day.

The reason why some people believed that diet soda's could hinder weight loss efforts is because there were studies showing that artificial sweeteners could cause some people to crave real sugar.

Well, if you're eating below your maintenance level and don't go eat past it, you're fine.
  • FlaxMilk
    FlaxMilk Posts: 3,452 Member
    Options
    Love diet soda and drank a lot every day. Hit a financial slump and cut it out, drank a lot of water instead. It didn't make any difference in my weight.
  • RllyGudTweetr
    RllyGudTweetr Posts: 2,019 Member
    Options
    Unless you have a particular medical issue with one of the specific ingredients, it's not bad for you, and a zero calorie drink cannot directly impact weight loss or gain beyond water weight.
  • I_Will_End_You
    I_Will_End_You Posts: 4,397 Member
    Options
    It's not bad for weight loss.
  • prattiger65
    prattiger65 Posts: 1,657 Member
    Options
    It isn't, although there will someone along shortly to proclaim the evil.
  • Mr_Bad_Example
    Mr_Bad_Example Posts: 2,403 Member
    Options
    Please help me understand this. Diet pop is zero calories. I need a reason to get rid of it. I love my Diet Pepsi! Has anyone out there seen success with giving up their diet sodas?

It's not bad for weight loss. Drink it up.
  • jamiebxo
    jamiebxo Posts: 116
    Options
    I haven't actually seen anyone prove why diet drinks are bad for weightloss. I've seen a few people claim there is ingredients/sweeteners in diet drinks that aren't so good for you but I don't know much about that so I'm not going to comment on it. If you're someone who drinks a lot of soda and you feel that it'll be hard for you to completely give it up then diet drinks are a good way to diminish those cravings without the added calories/sugar. I was someone who used to drink a LOT of soda and I know I wouldn't have been able to completely give it up so I drink diet Coke/Coke Zero/diet Pepsi/Pepsi Max frequently albeit not every single day. I haven't noticed any negative side effects on my health and I've managed to lose a good amount of weight so...
  • wcboldt
    wcboldt Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    I am an ex diet coke fiend. Quitting was not easy... the headaches were horrible.
    It is bad for your weight loss for two reasons. First, the sodium in the diet soda causes your body to retain water. Second, and worse, sweeteners (including artificial) cause your body to produce more insulin which in turn causes your body to store fat. So even though there are no calories in the soda, it can indirectly hinder your weight loss efforts. Quitting soda is harder than people think but you can do it and you'll feel so much better when you do. Water water water...
  • BusyRaeNOTBusty
    BusyRaeNOTBusty Posts: 7,166 Member
    Options
    I drink it. Probably 2 or 3 a day on weekdays.
  • FlaxMilk
    FlaxMilk Posts: 3,452 Member
    Options
    \First, the sodium in the diet soda causes your body to retain water

Why do people say this?
  • wheird
    Options
    I am an ex diet coke fiend. Quitting was not easy... the headaches were horrible.
    It is bad for your weight loss for two reasons. First, the sodium in the diet soda causes your body to retain water. Second, and worse, sweeteners (including artificial) cause your body to produce more insulin which in turn causes your body to store fat. So even though there are no calories in the soda, it can indirectly hinder your weight loss efforts. Quitting soda is harder than people think but you can do it and you'll feel so much better when you do. Water water water...

Diet soda has barely any sodium.

Insulin and fat storage is not a bad thing. And if you're in a calorie deficit, it doesn't matter.
  • FattyFatsoMcTubby
    FattyFatsoMcTubby Posts: 170 Member
    Options
    I drink 2 - 3 diet cokes every single day, and some days I drink more.
  • pinkraynedropjacki
    pinkraynedropjacki Posts: 3,027 Member
    Options
    Who says it's bad? I have had it since day 1 and it's not done anything bad to my loss.

BTW it's not zero calories...just close to it.
  • elyelyse
    elyelyse Posts: 1,454 Member
    Options
    some studies showed that when people drink "diet" sodas, they tend to make up those calories somewhere else (as though giving up the full-calorie soda freed up those calories). I don't have resources, it's just something I've read a zillion times over a lot of years. Of course...if you are counting your calories...then you won't fall into that trap.

Other people have bad things to say about it...but anything I'd say would be random stuff I've read but have no resources to back up or disprove. (like artificial sweeteners messing with insulin responses, etc)
  • wheird
    Options
    \First, the sodium in the diet soda causes your body to retain water

Why do people say this?

Ignorance.
  • botanygeek
    botanygeek Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    Where did you hear that artificial sweeteners cause you to produce more insulin? And the amount of sodium in a soda is actually quite small unless you're one of the few people who are sensitive to sodium.
  • elyelyse
    elyelyse Posts: 1,454 Member
    Options
    Where did you hear that artificial sweeteners cause you to produce more insulin?
    if you search the forums for "diet soda insulin" it's all over the place.
  • kit_liu
    kit_liu Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    Only started drinking diet sodas recently. I stayed away from anything to do with artificial sweeteners because of these studies. But I'm glad to say, stevia in my coffee (I'm addicted to coffee) and drinking diet pepsi has made little to no difference in my diet. I wasnt keen on drinking bland water and wasnt drinking my daily requirement and so was retaining water. In a funny way, drinking all that excess diet drinks has even helped, making me want to go to the toilet more to get rid of the extra water in my system. But then, I'm more of a savoury food person and dont like chocolate!