I'm confused, what does "eating clean" really mean?

Options
13»

Replies

• stefjc
    stefjc Posts: 484 Member
    Options
    In DietLand it means you can state it and instantly feel morally superior, thinner, leaner, healthier and far, far more important than the poor sad sack you are responding to!

Eat Clean - You're Worth It :)
  • ILiftHeavyAcrylics
    ILiftHeavyAcrylics Posts: 27,732 Member
    Options
    In DietLand it means you can state it and instantly feel morally superior, thinner, leaner, healthier and far, far more important than the poor sad sack you are responding to!

Eat Clean - You're Worth It :)

:indifferent:
  • kgeyser
    kgeyser Posts: 22,505 Member
    Options
    I have no idea, which I why I don't bother.
  • SLLRunner
    SLLRunner Posts: 12,942 Member
    Options
    To me, eating clean means I was my fruits and vegetables prior to consumption. That's it.

Eating clean is just another fad, like eating low fat or sugar free or whatever.
  • Mr_Knight
    Mr_Knight Posts: 9,532 Member
    Options
    Tosca Reno has a great book called the Eat Clean Diet Recharged that explains it. Basically, it involves avoiding processed foods and sugar, and eating lots of fruits/veggies/complex carbs/lean proteins--you know...all the stuff we know we need to do to be healthy anyway:smile: . I started eating clean on January 1st, and I've lost 7 pounds so far. It has made me more mindful of what I eat even when we go out to dinner. I don't feel deprived at all. My niece is in excellent shape. She eats clean, and she inspired me to give it a try. I'm really glad I did.

How do you avoid sugar while eating fruits? Grape juice has twice the sugar of coke..

Not knocking it if it works for you, but we at some point decided that three teaspoons of sugar in a thing of grapes is awesome, but in a can of coke will kill you.

But coke will clean an engine, do you want that in your body?!

Leave grape juice out in the sun for a while, and it will, too.
  • Stripeness
    Stripeness Posts: 511 Member
    Options
    "Eating clean" is diet-speak for being pretentious.

Thank you - my first thought was "eating clean" means "better than you"
  • KristinaB83
    KristinaB83 Posts: 440 Member
    Options
    I would guess that it's foods with ingredients you can pronounce easily.
  • twixlepennie
    twixlepennie Posts: 1,074 Member
    Options
    It's a pointless label some people feel they need to apply to foods because they think, incorrectly, that some foods are somehow superior to other foods, or are better for weight loss etc. Ironically, no one can even agree on which foods fall under the 'clean' eating label-ask a paleo follower and his definition of 'clean' eating will be much different than someone who follows the Nourishing Traditions way of eating, vs. someone who is a vegan etc etc.

The whole thing is ridiculous :grumble:
  • ILiftHeavyAcrylics
    ILiftHeavyAcrylics Posts: 27,732 Member
    Options
    Tosca Reno has a great book called the Eat Clean Diet Recharged that explains it. Basically, it involves avoiding processed foods and sugar, and eating lots of fruits/veggies/complex carbs/lean proteins--you know...all the stuff we know we need to do to be healthy anyway:smile: . I started eating clean on January 1st, and I've lost 7 pounds so far. It has made me more mindful of what I eat even when we go out to dinner. I don't feel deprived at all. My niece is in excellent shape. She eats clean, and she inspired me to give it a try. I'm really glad I did.

How do you avoid sugar while eating fruits? Grape juice has twice the sugar of coke..

Not knocking it if it works for you, but we at some point decided that three teaspoons of sugar in a thing of grapes is awesome, but in a can of coke will kill you.

But coke will clean an engine, do you want that in your body?!

Leave grape juice out in the sun for a while, and it will, too.

Dammit how many times to I have to say I wasn't serious?

I'm ruining all my IIFYM cred with this thread. :brokenheart:
  • lilbearzmom
    lilbearzmom Posts: 600 Member
    Options
    It's all relative. It means different things to different people. On this site it gets people's panties in a huge wedgie because they are insecure with their own eating habits and food choices.

That being said, FOR ME it means reading labels, avoiding highly processed foods, GMO derived ingredients such as soy, corn, and canola, HFCS, preservatives and emulsifiers(even natural ones) etc. I try and make my own meals at home, so I know what's in it. I also try to avoid added sugar.

I realize that this is not sustainable 100% of the time. It's something I strive to do MOST of the time. I just do what I can.
  • twixlepennie
    twixlepennie Posts: 1,074 Member
    Options
    It's all relative. It means different things to different people. On this site it gets people's panties in a huge wedgie because they are insecure with their own eating habits and food choices.

That being said, FOR ME it means reading labels, avoiding highly processed foods, GMO derived ingredients such as soy, corn, and canola, HFCS, preservatives and emulsifiers(even natural ones) etc. I try and make my own meals at home, so I know what's in it. I also try to avoid added sugar.

I realize that this is not sustainable 100% of the time. It's something I strive to do MOST of the time. I just do what I can.

:huh:
  • neanderthin
    neanderthin Posts: 9,988 Member
    Options

:huh:
    lol
  • Ctrum69
    Ctrum69 Posts: 308 Member
    Options

Do what works for you. "make it your own" to quote my favorite Yogi.

If you feel better (and can afford) to eat 100 percent organic, from whole foods, go nuts.

If all you can afford is a double quarter pounder (which is one of the cheapest sources of prepared protein available), do that.

Let not the best be the enemy of the good.

Anyone who tells you UR DOIN IT WRONG! ask them for the science that disproves you. If they point you to someone selling something, question, question, question.

Weight loss/fitness/health are not something achieved by consensus or community upvotes.

They are achieved, by you, and YOU ALONE, in how you go about your life.

If fitness and health were easy, or popular, everyone would be doing it. :)
  • schotas
    schotas Posts: 150 Member
    Options
    I'm referring to lots of refined sugars in sodas, candy bars, junk food...of course you are going to get natural sugar in fruits.
  • rockmama72
    rockmama72 Posts: 815 Member
    Options
    I try to mostly not eat food that's processed, so that's clean-ER. My work is done here.