What are they putting in our food?!

Options
I just watched a few documentaries on Netflix, one of them called "Hungry for Change". What are they putting in our food?! I thought I was avoiding unhealthy/nutrient-less food. Now they're hiding MSG in other terms? Anything “hydrolyzed”, yeast food, soy and whey protein, and more. Or labeling food to read nutritious, but far from the truth? Like blueberry pomegranate Total cereal; seems like something healthy, however, it has no blueberries or pomegranates just chemicals. I'm traumatized. Clean eating means something completely different to me now.

What does this mean about my protein powder, BCAA powder, glutamine supplements, and pre workout powder? Are these harmful? Looking for some food therapy.

Replies

• xsmilexforxmex
    xsmilexforxmex Posts: 1,216 Member
    Options
    Truth is, unless you pull it out of the earth or kill it yourself it's hard to find foods without SOMETHING done to them. I personally equate 'clean' eating to the foods around the outside of the supermarket that go bad after a week...
    As for supplements... they're man made. Everything comes with risks and most aren't FDA approved... useful? I think so... but could just be media propogating that mindset....
  • rml_16
    rml_16 Posts: 16,414 Member
    Options
    This is why there are labels on food packages. Read them.
  • neanderthin
    neanderthin Posts: 10,020 Member
    Options
    You could look these ingredients up because nothing you've mention is actually unhealthy. Fear of the unknown maybe.
  • SunofaBeach14
    SunofaBeach14 Posts: 4,899 Member
    Options
    In for food phobia.
  • EricMurano
    EricMurano Posts: 825 Member
    Options
    Put the tin foil hats away and just focus on tracking your food and exercising. People get caught up in this nonsense as a way to creatively avoid doing the hard work.
  • Runfaster14
    Runfaster14 Posts: 90 Member
    Options
    One of the reasons I don't do pre/post work out powders like the ones you mention is all of the ingredients in them. I do not eat 100% clean but I cannot make it right in my head to drink something that 99% of the ingredients I cannot pronounce.
  • Paralyza
    Paralyza Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    Lol, I think I just entered the food twilight zone.
  • _TastySnoBalls_
    _TastySnoBalls_ Posts: 1,298 Member
    Options
    What if I told you...everything is made up of chemicals?

24d9edb3-75bd-4621-a1cd-7bfd85bb0ba1.jpg
  • Runfaster14
    Runfaster14 Posts: 90 Member
    Options
    Put the tin foil hats away and just focus on tracking your food and exercising. People get caught up in this nonsense as a way to creatively avoid doing the hard work.
    Totally disagree. Not want to put crap in my body has absolutely nothing to do with putting in hard work. I can actively argue just the opposite.
  • Mr_Knight
    Mr_Knight Posts: 9,532 Member
    Options
    In for food phobia.

....while simultaneously eating extremely processed supplements...
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 34,118 Member
    Options
    in for popcorn with hydrolyzed something or other.
  • neanderthin
    neanderthin Posts: 10,020 Member
    Options
    Totally disagree. Not want to put crap in my body has absolutely nothing to do with putting in hard work. I can actively argue just the opposite.
    What exactly is this crap your referring to?
  • SunofaBeach14
    SunofaBeach14 Posts: 4,899 Member
    Options
    In for food phobia.

But vitamins are magic pills because chiropractors and homeopaths sell them . . .
  • Dnarules
    Dnarules Posts: 2,081 Member
    Options

24d9edb3-75bd-4621-a1cd-7bfd85bb0ba1.jpg

I love these. I saw one for an orange before, but haven't seen these. I need to save them :).
  • Paralyza
    Paralyza Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    One of the reasons I don't do pre/post work out powders like the ones you mention is all of the ingredients in them. I do not eat 100% clean but I cannot make it right in my head to drink something that 99% of the ingredients I cannot pronounce.

After all I've been reading and watching, I agree with you. I workout 4-5 times a week, all weight training. The workout powders were helpful to get to the next level, but now I'm not so sure they are good for my body in the long term.
  • nomeejerome
    nomeejerome Posts: 2,616 Member
    Options
    these threads never end well.....
  • Ctrum69
    Ctrum69 Posts: 308 Member
    Options
    EVen worse, they've been hiding Dihydrogen Monoxide and Hydrogen Hydroxide in our drinks for YEARS!

This stuff is deadly. Really deadly.

as little as a tablespoon can kill.
  • TomfromNY
    TomfromNY Posts: 100 Member
    Options
    Eat vegetables, eggs, meat, fish, fruit, beans, nuts, and olive oil and you'll be fine.
  • rml_16
    rml_16 Posts: 16,414 Member
    Options
    In for food phobia.

Exactly my thought.

"I eat clean, but I eat protein powder and Total cereal."
  • _TastySnoBalls_
    _TastySnoBalls_ Posts: 1,298 Member
    Options

I love these. I saw one for an orange before, but haven't seen these. I need to save them :).

I tried to make it smaller, blah! Right click for full image. :bigsmile: