Replies

• strivingfor130
    strivingfor130 Posts: 221 Member
    Options
    bump!
  • 1two3four
    1two3four Posts: 413 Member
    Options
    You know, it's funny - I make most beans & lentils in the crock pot. Black beans and Great Northerns come out so creamy when I let them go all day in the crock pot. But I tried dried chick peas on the stove and the crock pot and spit them out both times. Don't know why that is (or what I did wrong), but they tasted awful. But chickpeas straight out of the can are always crunchy. I tried hummus over and over using chickpeas straight from the can and always ended up with a gritty texture. Drove me nuts. Finally I just decided they needed to cook more, so on the stove they went. And I really do leave them on the stove for a LONG time, simmering away. Sometimes I'll let them go all afternoon, then stick the pot in the fridge and make it the next day (so they soak even longer). The first time I tried it with the 'cooked' chickpeas it turned out so good I spent 20 minutes licking the food processor. The hummus does come out more 'airy' than the stuff you buy in the store, but it doesn't bother me.

Weird side note - hummus freezes beautifully. I portion it all out & freeze servings so that I'm not tempted to eat the whole recipe at once. Zap it in the microwave for a minute and it comes out less airy and more creamy. Still yummy and smooth, just thicker.

Thanks for the tips on cooking and I am absolutely going to try freezing the hummus in our no longer used baby food freezer mold thingies, too. Each one is about a 1/4 c. which is a decent size for a serving.
  • monna32
    monna32 Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    BUMP :) I normally just use chickpeas, garlic, olive oil, salt, pepper & lemon juice :) I hate tahini but sometimes I add some roasted pickled red pepper (from a jar) instead of garlic :)
  • Cueball55
    Cueball55 Posts: 152 Member
    Options
    ....save.for.later....
  • LC458
    LC458 Posts: 300 Member
    Options
    Spinach and Artichoke Hummus
    Source: Soup Spice Everything Nice
    Makes 2-1/2 cups; Serves 10

3 Tbsp of tahini
    2 cloves garlic, minced
    1 can garbanzo beans (drained, reserve liquid)
    1 can artichoke hearts (drained, and squeezed to remove liquid)
    Handful of baby spinach leaves
    Juice of one small lemon (3 Tbsp)
    Pinch of red pepper flakes
    1 tsp. salt

Drain can of garbanzo beans, reserving 1/3 cup of the juice from the can. Add the beans, tahini, artichokes, lemon juice, garlic, salt, and red pepper to food processor. Blend until smooth adding reserved liquid. You can adjust the amount of liquid depending on how thick you like it. Add spinach and process until you see little flecks of green. Serve with pita or veggies for dipping.

To serve: I spread hummus on a plate or platter. Make a moat in the hummus with the back of a spoon. Drizzle moat with olive oil. Sprinkle with red pepper flakes. In the very center place a half of a artichoke, two garbanzo beans and one baby spinach leaf.

OMG YUMMM!!! Gonna try this one for sure 8)
  • Dnarules
    Dnarules Posts: 2,081 Member
    Options
    I am so bumping this one.
  • jhellwig828
    jhellwig828 Posts: 109 Member
    Options
    Bump!!
  • LBennett34
    LBennett34 Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    If you (or anyone) live in an area that has Publix supermarkets, there is a great recipe for Hummus on the back of the garbanzo bean bags you can buy.
  • ancho84
    ancho84 Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    Great ideas
  • bhsishtla
    bhsishtla Posts: 151 Member
    Options
    Great ideas, thanks!
  • suemcmurry
    suemcmurry Posts: 188 Member
    Options
    bump
  • FitnFeistyLyness
    FitnFeistyLyness Posts: 757 Member
    Options
    i soak my chickpeas.. you can eat them that way to they get soft and crunchy, but you can cook them and they are beautiful after soaking.
  • FitnFeistyLyness
    Options
    love some of these ideas.. thought i was the only one that did artichoke spinach and chickpeas.. nice to see im not so weird LOL
  • FitnFeistyLyness
    Options
    Its amazing its how i make mine only i add a lil cumin.. i love cumin
  • Gambrell104
    Gambrell104 Posts: 282 Member
    Options
    BUMP
  • dklibert
    dklibert Posts: 1,196 Member
    Options
    I can't believe I almost forgot to share this one. I know it sounds strange but it is amazing with apples and carrots.

Snickerdoodle Hummus

This is amazing! It tastes and smells just like snickerdoodle cookies!

Ingredients

1 (15 oz) can Chickpeas
    2 Tbsp Almond Butter (roasted & Creamy)
    2 Tbsp Maple Syrup
    1 Tbsp Brown Sugar
    1/2 tsp Cinnamon, Ground

Directions

Drain chickpeas reserving liquid. Place chickpeas in a food processor along with almond butter, maple syrup, brown sugar, and cinnamon. Pulse for about 1 minute until all ingredients are thoroughly combined. Slowly drizzle in reserved liquid (you will not need all of it, approx. 1/3 cup) until the dip is smooth and desired consistency. Transfer to a bowl and serve with apple slices and graham crackers. Try carrots too, taste like glazed carrots. Store in the refrigerator.

Makes about 1-1/2 cups; 12 – 2 Tbsp servings.

Nutritional Info per Serving: Calories 71.8; Total Fat 2.0 g; Saturated Fat 0.2 g; Polyunsaturated Fat 0.5 g; Monounsaturated Fat 1.1 g; Cholesterol 0.0 mg; Sodium 105.7 mg; Potassium 91.7 mg; Total Carbohydrate 12.3 g; Dietary Fiber 1.7 g; Sugars 3.5 g; Protein 2.1 g
  • AbstractSilver
    Options
    I can't believe I almost forgot to share this one. I know it sounds strange but it is amazing with apples and carrots.

Snickerdoodle Hummus

This is amazing! It tastes and smells just like snickerdoodle cookies!

Ingredients

1 (15 oz) can Chickpeas
    2 Tbsp Almond Butter (roasted & Creamy)
    2 Tbsp Maple Syrup
    1 Tbsp Brown Sugar
    1/2 tsp Cinnamon, Ground

Directions

Drain chickpeas reserving liquid. Place chickpeas in a food processor along with almond butter, maple syrup, brown sugar, and cinnamon. Pulse for about 1 minute until all ingredients are thoroughly combined. Slowly drizzle in reserved liquid (you will not need all of it, approx. 1/3 cup) until the dip is smooth and desired consistency. Transfer to a bowl and serve with apple slices and graham crackers. Try carrots too, taste like glazed carrots. Store in the refrigerator.

Makes about 1-1/2 cups; 12 – 2 Tbsp servings.

Nutritional Info per Serving: Calories 71.8; Total Fat 2.0 g; Saturated Fat 0.2 g; Polyunsaturated Fat 0.5 g; Monounsaturated Fat 1.1 g; Cholesterol 0.0 mg; Sodium 105.7 mg; Potassium 91.7 mg; Total Carbohydrate 12.3 g; Dietary Fiber 1.7 g; Sugars 3.5 g; Protein 2.1 g

Oh my god. I HAVE To make that it. It looks absolutely sinful. : D
  • ActuarialChef
    ActuarialChef Posts: 1,413 Member
    Options
    http://www.budgetbytes.com/2010/05/hummus-four-flavors/

I love all 4 of these recipes. And although it definitely takes forever and is tedious, I've found the only way to get super-creamy hummus is to peel the canned chickpeas.

Tip: sit down in front of the tv with your chickpeas and 2 empty bowls - pop the shells into one bowl and the shelled chickpeas into the other while you're watching tv. It makes it go SO MUCH FASTER.
  • jessyann3
    jessyann3 Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    This a a no fail recipe.. My husband is Lebanese and I got this one from his family.. The yogurt helps give it that smooth creamy texture but you can not taste it.

1/4 Cup Yogurt plain
    1 15oz or 16oz can Garbonzo Beans (chick peas)
    1/2 Cup Tahini (sesame seed paste)
    1/3 Cup Lemon Juice
    2-3 Cloves of Garlic
    1/2 Tsp of Salt

Put all ingredients in a food processor and process til smooth