How do I make my Pea Protein taste good?

Options

Replies

• daffodilsoup
    daffodilsoup Posts: 1,972 Member
    Options
    I only like straight-up pea protein mixed into oatmeal or blended into a smoothie with a frozen banana - I find that it helps mask the "grittiness" that comes with pea protein.

However, I get a gemma pea/soy protein blend from TrueNutrition that tastes delicious even when just mixed in a shaker with water. I think the trick is to kind of "cut" it with another plant-based protein.
  • Salt_Sand_Sun
    Salt_Sand_Sun Posts: 415 Member
    Options

Chickens lay eggs naturally - how are they being tortured????
    Milking a cow is not torture to a cow - its been done for centuries.

Killing a fish - the fish is now DEAD. Not living, not able to be food again. How is natural laying of eggs, simple milking of a cow worse than KILLING??

You said 30-40g of protien a day. Thats is not enough to be honest, but if it works for you.... great to hear! If you are really set about not going the Whey route then I'd suggest you mix your Pea Protein in foods such as soup. Or you can juice; add Pea Protein to carrot/apple juice w/ a teaspoon of lemon juice. It should knock out the "dirt" taste.

because unless you live on a farm and have your own cows and chickens things arent that simple. Animals are kept in horrid conditions and such things which id rather not go into on this post, not to mention that for cows to give milk they have to be impregnated and what happens to the calf then?

You make very simple things way too complex. And seem to have an excuse for everything.

So heres the simple advice: Either go with Whey or find ways to mix the Pea Protein in different foods/drinks to rid the dirt taste! Called trial and error - soon you'll find a good blend.

//end post

that was all i was asking for, just some recipes!! not a lecture on things totally not related to this conversation.
    Sometimes these forums really make me lose hope in humanity

WOW- lose hope in humanity just b/c people suggest Whey over nasty Pea Protein? B/c you state killing a fish is more humane and less torturous than milking a cow or getting an egg from a chicken?

Drama much??
  • daffodilsoup
    Options
    yeah i can have gluten :) and its pulsin, everyone said that was the best one. might look into some protein bar recipes.
    And to the ignorant guy who assumes i cant eat nutritionally on a vegan diet you have no idea how wrong you are. please tell me what nutrients im apparently missing. because the 2 blood tests are get a year are failing to.

Who said you can't eat a nutritious vegan diet? Besides, you aren't on a vegan diet. You eat fish.

If you're trying to become healthy by attempting to go vegan, stop now. You can do better by eating a balanced diet that includes dairy, fish and eggs. It's also a lot easier to get the protein you need.

If you're trying to become vegan for moral reasons, I'm confused as to why eating an unfertilized egg or drinking milk is worse than killing fish.

your sarcastic comment of "good luck with your nutrition goals" did.
    Im not attempting to go vegan. I could, and i had for a year but i chose not to. and eating eggs and milk is worse than seafood as youre having to torture the cows and chickens which is a lot worse than killing fish or other seafood. And i get enough protein i just wanted ways to use up pea protein

this made me giggle. I don't know how it works in America but here in England we do not torture our chickens, they lay eggs every day all by themselves !! Haha... and milking a cow does not stand up to the torture claim either I'm afraid. There are some crazy chicks on here who have real issues with 'food'

It isn't so much the "torture" of cows as you might picture it, but it's the idea that a cow whose milk is harvested by humans, by nature, cannot use it to feed her calf. So people who do not consume dairy for ethical reasons often are motivated by the fact that by drinking cow's milk, we are taking her secretions that would have been used to feed her baby, and the baby is often shipped off to become veal, beef, or if she's female, meet the same fate as her mother.

It may be worth it for you to investigate the dairy industry in the UK - just because you don't see it happening doesn't mean it doesn't happen. Cows may produce milk naturally, but not when they are forcibly impregnated to produce milk at an unnatural rate to feed human demand. It doesn't mean you have to give up dairy if you choose not to, but it's good to know where the things you consume come from.
  • lisamarie1780
    lisamarie1780 Posts: 432 Member
    Options
    yeah i can have gluten :) and its pulsin, everyone said that was the best one. might look into some protein bar recipes.
    And to the ignorant guy who assumes i cant eat nutritionally on a vegan diet you have no idea how wrong you are. please tell me what nutrients im apparently missing. because the 2 blood tests are get a year are failing to.

Who said you can't eat a nutritious vegan diet? Besides, you aren't on a vegan diet. You eat fish.

If you're trying to become healthy by attempting to go vegan, stop now. You can do better by eating a balanced diet that includes dairy, fish and eggs. It's also a lot easier to get the protein you need.

If you're trying to become vegan for moral reasons, I'm confused as to why eating an unfertilized egg or drinking milk is worse than killing fish.

Im not attempting to go vegan. I could, and i had for a year but i chose not to. and eating eggs and milk is worse than seafood as youre having to torture the cows and chickens which is a lot worse than killing fish or other seafood. And i get enough protein i just wanted ways to use up pea protein

this made me giggle. I don't know how it works in America but here in England we do not torture our chickens, they lay eggs every day all by themselves !! Haha... and milking a cow does not stand up to the torture claim either I'm afraid. There are some crazy chicks on here who have real issues with 'food'

It isn't so much the "torture" of cows as you might picture it, but it's the idea that a cow whose milk is harvested by humans, by nature, cannot use it to feed her calf. So people who do not consume dairy for ethical reasons often are motivated by the fact that by drinking cow's milk, we are taking her secretions that would have been used to feed her baby, and the baby is often shipped off to become veal, beef, or if she's female, meet the same fate as her mother.

It may be worth it for you to investigate the dairy industry in the UK - just because you don't see it happening doesn't mean it doesn't happen. Cows may produce milk naturally, but not when they are forcibly impregnated to produce milk at an unnatural rate to feed human demand. It doesn't mean you have to give up dairy if you choose not to, but it's good to know where the things you consume come from.

Fair point well made :)

However, I fear if we investigated everything that we put into our mouths in it's totality then we would never eat again!

People have been consuming cows milk and eggs for centuries, they are healthy and nutritous and I personally wouldn't cut them out of my diet. However, if you are a vegan or a veggie on account of your moral point of view then that's fair enough. She's not though, she eats fish which I find odd as the fishing industry is also a minefield of ethical issues
  • daffodilsoup
    Options

However, I fear if we investigated everything that we put into our mouths in it's totality then we would never eat again!

People have been consuming cows milk and eggs for centuries, they are healthy and nutritous and I personally wouldn't cut them out of my diet. However, if you are a vegan or a veggie on account of your moral point of view then that's fair enough. She's not though, she eats fish which I find odd as the fishing industry is also a minefield of ethical issues

That's correct, people have consumed cow's milk and eggs for a long time. However, just because we've "done something for a long time" doesn't necessarily make it right.

Yes, eggs and dairy products do contain nutrients, but they are certainly not the sole source of those nutrients. I think it's important for people to be open to obtaining these nutrients from sources that cause less harm.

That being said, I do agree with your points about the fish.
  • lisamarie1780
    Options

That's correct, people have consumed cow's milk and eggs for a long time. However, just because we've "done something for a long time" doesn't necessarily make it right.

Yes, eggs and dairy products do contain nutrients, but they are certainly not the sole source of those nutrients. I think it's important for people to be open to obtaining these nutrients from sources that cause less harm.

I see your point, people have been torturing eachother since time began, in every way imagineable, this is something we have always done which is not right.
    Fisherman catching fish to eat and farmers milking cows and collecting eggs from their chickens? Not on the same scale to me. I don't agree with the unethical treatment of animals but I am more concerned about the unethical treatment of people to be honest and it is always possible to buy your dairy and meat produce from local farm shops as I do. I know where my stuff has come from, that it is organic and has been reared and produced ethically and healthily as it should be. If people are concerned then they should do likewise. I really don't see the need to live off plant products alone but that's personal choice. My issue wasn't with vegeterianism as such (if that's even a word) but was with the OPs claim that it is was OK to eat fish but not animals for a reason which would surely apply to both and I was confused as to what exactly her point of view was.
  • daffodilsoup
    Options

I see your point, people have been torturing eachother since time began, in every way imagineable, this is something we have always done which is not right.
    Fisherman catching fish to eat and farmers milking cows and collecting eggs from their chickens? Not on the same scale to me. I don't agree with the unethical treatment of animals but I am more concerned about the unethical treatment of people to be honest and it is always possible to buy your dairy and meat produce from local farm shops as I do. I know where my stuff has come from, that it is organic and has been reared and produced ethically and healthily as it should be. If people are concerned then they should do likewise. I really don't see the need to live off plant products alone but that's personal choice. My issue wasn't with vegeterianism as such (if that's even a word) but was with the OPs claim that it is was OK to eat fish but not animals for a reason which would surely apply to both and I was confused as to what exactly her point of view was.

I completely understand your confusion regarding OPs claims about fish - no argument there.

I'm simply discussing now for discussion's sake, I do have to note that no matter how local, "ethical" and "humane", humans consuming always involves taking an essential food source away from a baby cow when there are perfectly good plant sources to take them from. I understand that in some ways, dietary choices are personal, but they can only be "truly" personal when they only affect you, personally, you know?

Also, I do have to ask - aside from you yourself being human, why not consider the suffering of non-human animals on the same scale as humans? Certainly non-humans have the ability to suffer and feel pain, so why should theirs be somehow "lesser" than ours?
  • lisamarie1780
    Options

I completely understand your confusion regarding OPs claims about fish - no argument there.

I'm simply discussing now for discussion's sake, I do have to note that no matter how local, "ethical" and "humane", humans consuming always involves taking an essential food source away from a baby cow when there are perfectly good plant sources to take them from. I understand that in some ways, dietary choices are personal, but they can only be "truly" personal when they only affect you, personally, you know?

Also, I do have to ask - aside from you yourself being human, why not consider the suffering of non-human animals on the same scale as humans? Certainly non-humans have the ability to suffer and feel pain, so why should theirs be somehow "lesser" than ours?

So you want to compare a cow being milked to a woman who is repeatedly beaten and raped by the man she loves?
    Or a chicken who has her eggs fried for a family breakfast with a child who is severley neglected and malnourished?
    Do you say that a cow killed for meat to feed a family is somehow on the same scale as a pedophile or serial killer or someone who violently beats another man to death just for the fun of it?
    And the millions dying of AIDS in Africa... the millions more who don't even have clean water to drink? The millions of jews including women and children who were gassed by the Nazis because they were the wrong 'race'..... the Africans who were used as white peoples' slaves in every sense of the word and the devastation of war... ? The millions of families and children living in poverty right on your doorstep and in the midst of your own country? You want me to see all of that on the same scale as quickly and humanely killing a chicken and feeding my family it for Sunday dinner?
    No, I'm sorry. You seem like a nice girl and I don't mean to offend you but to me the whole concept of human/animal equality is ridiculous. I have a cat. I like her alot. I would not however lay down my life for her as I would for my children. That's nature. It is what it is.
    I was a midwife for a number of years. We used to have women come into the hospital seeking refuge from drunken violent men and do you know why? They had nowehere else to go because there are more animal shelters in the UK than there are shelters for battered women! 200 more in fact... at least that was the figure a few years ago. It's both shocking and ridiculous and I find it disturbing that I live in a society that is more concerned with animals than with it's own children.
  • rainghirl
    rainghirl Posts: 203 Member
    Options
    I tried this just to see what it was like http://www.naturesplus.com/sourceoflife/products/productDetail.php?id=30595 it has pea protein in, and other stuff. I thought it tasted pretty good, it has vanilla in it and you can mix it up with water or soya milk if you don't drink milk. Don't know if it's available in the US.

I'd probably go with whey protein, not being vegan. It's easier to get hold of and probably cheaper.
  • daffodilsoup
    Options

So you want to compare a cow being milked to a woman who is repeatedly beaten and raped by the man she loves?
    Or a chicken who has her eggs fried for a family breakfast with a child who is severley neglected and malnourished?
    Do you say that a cow killed for meat to feed a family is somehow on the same scale as a pedophile or serial killer or someone who violently beats another man to death just for the fun of it?
    And the millions dying of AIDS in Africa... the millions more who don't even have clean water to drink? The millions of jews including women and children who were gassed by the Nazis because they were the wrong 'race'..... the Africans who were used as white peoples' slaves in every sense of the word and the devastation of war... ? The millions of families and children living in poverty right on your doorstep and in the midst of your own country? You want me to see all of that on the same scale as quickly and humanely killing a chicken and feeding my family it for Sunday dinner?
    No, I'm sorry. You seem like a nice girl and I don't mean to offend you but to me the whole concept of human/animal equality is ridiculous. I have a cat. I like her alot. I would not however lay down my life for her as I would for my children. That's nature. It is what it is.
    I was a midwife for a number of years. We used to have women come into the hospital seeking refuge from drunken violent men and do you know why? They had nowehere else to go because there are more animal shelters in the UK than there are shelters for battered women! 200 more in fact... at least that was the figure a few years ago. It's both shocking and ridiculous and I find it disturbing that I live in a society that is more concerned with animals than with it's own children.

I have to argue with your phrase "humane killing". How can killing in itself be humane?

I never posted here that I am more concerned with animals than with society's children - if that's how you interpreted it, that's incorrect. All the atrocities you listed are awful and horrible, and I'm certainly not downplaying them by suggesting that non-human animals are capable of suffering as well. Being an advocate for animals does not mean that I don't care about people - I care about both. My hope is to end suffering in all forms - not to somehow suggest that human suffering isn't important or a good cause to put your efforts toward ending. I think it's heartbreaking and terrible when a woman, or man, is raped. But why can I also not suggest - or think, apparently - that the forcible impregnation of a cow is also heartbreaking?

The issue here is that the minute people hear that someone might equate suffering across all animals, human and non-human, that they are somehow favoring the non-human animal. Such is not the case. I'm arguing that non-human animals also have the capacity to feel pain and to suffer, and that maybe it's because we ourselves are human that we side so strongly with one and justify the suffering of the other as "nature".
  • lisamarie1780
    Options

I have to argue with your phrase "humane killing". How can killing in itself be humane?

I never posted here that I am more concerned with animals than with society's children - if that's how you interpreted it, that's incorrect. All the atrocities you listed are awful and horrible, and I'm certainly not downplaying them by suggesting that non-human animals are capable of suffering as well. Being an advocate for animals does not mean that I don't care about people - I care about both. My hope is to end suffering in all forms - not to somehow suggest that human suffering isn't important or a good cause to put your efforts toward ending. I think it's heartbreaking and terrible when a woman, or man, is raped. But why can I also not suggest - or think, apparently - that the forcible impregnation of a cow is also heartbreaking?

The issue here is that the minute people hear that someone might equate suffering across all animals, human and non-human, that they are somehow favoring the non-human animal. Such is not the case. I'm arguing that non-human animals also have the capacity to feel pain and to suffer, and that maybe it's because we ourselves are human that we side so strongly with one and justify the suffering of the other as "nature".

We could have this debate for the rest of forever but unfortunately I have children to put to bed.... the cat can put herself to bed. She doesn't need a story, a bath or tucking in... coz she's a cat
  • daffodilsoup
    Options

We could have this debate for the rest of forever but unfortunately I have children to put to bed.... the cat can put herself to bed. She doesn't need a story, a bath or tucking in... coz she's a cat

Unsure of what sort of point this is supposed to make, but very well :)
  • socioseguro
    socioseguro Posts: 1,679 Member
    Options
    People: enough already. The original question was about vegetable protein. We are not at MFP trying to resolve world hunger or boil the ocean. Peace.
  • hookilau
    hookilau Posts: 3,134 Member
    Options
    I know this is an old thread but have just found pea protein isolate and was thinking of using it in recipes calling for besan or split peas powder. Mainly for Indian and West Indian recipes.

Anyone know?

Specifically, I'm hoping I can make a poloughrie with it :blushing:
  • arrseegee
    arrseegee Posts: 575 Member
    Options

I am also respectful of a vegan lifestyle if someone is really ethically opposed to farming, slavery of or killing of animals for human means, however I am having a little trouble understanding how you can be totally opposed to egg and milk farming but still be ok eating fish.

Fish aren't plucked out of the sea in a bed of cotton wool and put to sleep so that you can eat them, they effectively die in the same way we would if we were drowned. A free range chicken scratches around outside, lays an egg, then another one, then another one. In terms of suffering for the individual animal the fish one seems worse. I've worked on a dairy farm and never saw a cow get tortured either. I am genuinely interested in how you see fish as the lesser of two evils?

Pea protein would probably taste better in some sort of cooked dish, like sticking it in falafel rather than trying to eat it in a smoothie.
  • _Terrapin_
    _Terrapin_ Posts: 4,301 Member
    Options
    Pea protein in split pea soup; if it was posted earlier I missed it. Anyone? Tried and failed?
  • _Terrapin_
    _Terrapin_ Posts: 4,301 Member
    Options
    The clue is in the tittle,
    Im trying to be as plant based as possible which doesnt leave me with many protein powder choices (soy, pea and a few others) but pea seems to be the cheapest with the most protein and the least calories.

However whenever ive put it in smoothies it just tasted like dirt!
    Anyone has any suggestions on what would make it taste good?
    recipes?

bump the OP's original question.....see the quotes
  • LynndaMaree
    LynndaMaree Posts: 88 Member
    Options
    Amen to that. I'm almost afraid to post on this site for fear I'll get chewed up and spit out.
  • summertime_girl
    summertime_girl Posts: 3,945 Member
    Options
    Pea protein in split pea soup; if it was posted earlier I missed it. Anyone? Tried and failed?

Too sweet, it was awful.
  • summertime_girl
    summertime_girl Posts: 3,945 Member
    Options
    But for vegan protein, I have always liked hemp. It's fine in smoothies.