Is anyone using Phentermine for weight loss?

Options
13»

Replies

• arrseegee
    arrseegee Posts: 575 Member
    Options
    Repost
  • QuietBloom
    QuietBloom Posts: 5,413 Member
    Options
    "health nut' here. Not trying to make you feel bad. Just wishing you luck. Please remember that you have to be extremely vigilant and keep logging in order to keep the weight off. Losing is easy - maintenance is hard.

ETA: Phentermine is not the same as ADHD meds, and studies have shown that it is NOT addicting.

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/23736363

Disclaimer: Just presenting the facts ma'am. Not advocating taking appetite suppressant pills.
  • mizzfitnesss
    mizzfitnesss Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    "boy these folks are gonna eat her alive."

WOW, That's exactly what I was thinking ..^^^^^

But to answer your question, I took the Phentermine in my 20's as soon as I stopped the weight came back....
  • korygilliam
    korygilliam Posts: 594 Member
    Options
    Dayo6 is a spammer for the website (look at their profile, all 6 posts report purchasing from online...and funny that the websites are different for the different posts). Don't buy without a doctors guidance! Please...
  • Joydeschenes
    Options
    Hi, Just wanted to see if the med's are working for you. My doctor prescribed the higher dose in May and the only reson she offered it and I agreed is that I use a Fitbit and use Myfitnesspal. That's because they both help me to track exercise and push myself to do more. And in Myfitnesspal on entering my eating it monitors my nutrician causeing me to make better choises. So by using those tools I can stay balanced on my eating and exercise. This way I hope that my weight loss will Stay off latter.

Take care........ Joy
  • Quasita
    Quasita Posts: 1,530 Member
    Options
    I'm currently taking the 37.5mg tablet myself. I'm on my 3rd month of my first 4 months of treatment.

When I first started taking it, I did not make a point to eat. I only ate when I felt my blood sugar was dropping too low. I tracked the calories in those days, and without concerted effort, I eat maybe 800 calories all day. I knew that wasn't going to be good for me, so I decided that I needed to be more careful and make a more serious effort to do it right.

The first 2 weeks, I lost about 1-1.5 pounds a day on average. Much due to not eating enough and feeling very compelled to exercise. I stalled out after 15 pounds of so, and didn't lose again until very recently. I had to increase my calories quite a bit.
    I have taken several days off from taking the med here and there, as it can re-enliven the effect, and even during an entire week of not taking it, I did not gain back any weight.

I believe the biggest reason people regain after they stop taking it is because they spend the time on the medication eating very little, and since the med also jumps metabolic burn on average about 300 calories and makes you want to be active, you also burn more. It's classified as an anorectic, which means it chemically causes medical anorexia (the loss of appetite), so it makes sense that people do not eat much BUT you really have to make sure you do.

If you want to be successful with it, you need to make sure you are still eating your minimum calorie intake amount, and continue that practice when you detox from the medication and regain regular hunger sensations.

I wrote a long response to a previous post, that I opted to save in my blog, since these threads get deleted all the time due to people getting nasty. You can find it here: http://www.myfitnesspal.com/blog/Quasita/view/phentermine-use-thread-response-642160

Ultimately though, it's not a supplement, it's not a diet pill, it's a medication intended to treat a medical condition, that of having a BMI of >27 at minimum, though in most cases, you would need to be >30 to have it an approved medical situation for treatment with Phentermine. It's not something to take lightly by any means.

Editing to say... I find it interesting that people are reporting hair loss and such. Here's the thing.. Hair loss doesn't come from the medication so much as the side effects of eating so little, very suddenly. Hairloss, heart palpitations, anger/irritation, and more are all symptoms of anorexic dietary levels.

With the exception of the first few days, I have made a point to eat close to my normal intake, which is 2400ish calories. It's hard but I do it. I have had zero hairloss, no heart issues, I feel happy and vibrant most of the time, and I actually sleep better on it than I did before I started taking it. *Occasionally* I get restless at night, and have found simply adding melatonin, and on the rare occasion, taking an Ambien, has done just fine to put me to bed on those days.
    The worst side effect I had was "phentermine poops" which can be pretty aggressive in the beginning, but you end up losing a lot. I'm talking I'd lose 2lbs just going to the bathroom. The second worst has been headaches in the thalamus region, which makes sense because that's where it works, but not anything tylenol can't knock out.

Other tips to make it easier on yourself are to drink A LOT of water and avoid caffeine. It's absolutely not classed with ADHD medications.
  • Quasita
    Quasita Posts: 1,530 Member
    Options
    Lets get one thing straight, OP. Phentermine is not a "supplement". It is a narcotic.

Incorrect. Phentermine is not a classified narcotic. It is a sympathomimetic drug. A psychostimulant. It is not an actual amphetamine, but rather derived from amphetamine (that is, amphetamine is its "parent" drug).

Less than 1% of people who take the medication for the FDA approved use of 1 dose daily for 3-12 weeks have withdrawal symptoms or exhibit addiction behaviors. Pharmacologically speaking, the medication is really only expected to work at full force for about 3 weeks before the body adjusts to the substance. Addiction and abuse occur when people experience the tapering off of the anorectic effect, and instead of managing their eating voluntarily through choices, opt to up their dose without guidance and/or by obtaining prescriptions to extend treatment past the time period that is considered safe.

Typical phentermine therapy for obese individuals is 3 months on, 3 months off, 3 months on, etc. with regular doctors visit and heart check ups. However, way too many people bypass these safety measures. If you follow the protocol like you're supposed to, addiction is very unlikely. Having withdrawal symptoms is not the same as addiction (which is what narcotic essentially means, addictive). Phentermine is a class IV scheduled controlled substance, and it is illegal to obtain it without a prescription and in many states, without a treatment plan established, but it is not classified narcotic by any US agency. The only place I know of that has it classified as narcotic is France.
  • Ms_Jae
    Ms_Jae Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    "health nut' here. Not trying to make you feel bad. Just wishing you luck. Please remember that you have to be extremely vigilant and keep logging in order to keep the weight off. Losing is easy - maintenance is hard.

ETA: Phentermine is not the same as ADHD meds, and studies have shown that it is NOT addicting.

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/23736363

Disclaimer: Just presenting the facts ma'am. Not advocating taking appetite suppressant pills.

Thank you! ADHD meds are not the same as Phentermine. 15yrs ago I took Phentermine and lost a lot of weight. My stomach got smaller. my cooking habits changed and I started jogging. I was able to keep the weight off for 6yrs. I didn't have withdrawls nor did I sleep for a week when I WINGED myself off the med. I did have issues with sleeping and thats mainly b/c back then the dose was much different than it is now. Then I was told to take twice daily where as now I think you only take once a day and mid morning so not to have issues with sleep. Then I tore my ACL and became very depressed b/c I couldn't do anything laied up for 8wks. Hell I couldn't even drive as I had a manual car. I was litterally stuck at home with nothing to do but eat and order in. Needless to say the weight came back due to falling back into old eating and cooking habits. Phentermine is to be used as a supplement (meaning in addition to) your diet and fitness regimen to help you get started or over the hump so to speak. And was not addictive for me. Follow your Dr's. guidlines and use this time to make changes to you lifestyle where food is concered. This can be a long term weight lose success if done porperly. Good luck!
  • nikkign1984
    Options
    My friend used it, along with diet and exercise during and after. She lost 35 lbs and still 2 years later has kept most of it off. The Con: she said she felt cracked out heart racing always had to go, and she picked up a nervous tick she would Fidgett her hair.

But even with that said, i'm jealous. I'm too scared to take it. I stick to A deficit in calories each day and 5 to 6 days a week at the gym. And feel like I'm busting my *kitten* and getting slow results. 1-2 lbs a week, which I do know is healthy but I wish I could've had that jumpstart. She has two kids and looks better now than she did in high school. I have one and I look like I have a kid lol

I'm not a health nut I'm just a mom that's going to be 30 and does her research before she takes anything. And this is just my personal thoughts.
  • michaelrecoil876
    michaelrecoil876 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Hey Guys ,Looking for advice...I will be sincerely grateful for answers;

My name is Mike. I used to be in great shape. I am fairly small framed however; struggled a lot with binge eating and an addiction to Ice Cream. A few weeks back my weight was 181, I am 5'7 and narrower frame. I got a prescription for phen. I am currently doing 4 on and 2 off. I am looking into taking now 2 on and 1 off. I just do not want my metabolism to slow down after I am off. Also; Not to be offensive but does weight gain occur mostly in people who were obese?

Since then I have been excising, eating in moderation and very healthy. I have been eating lean meats, vegetables and things to help promote loss of appetite for bad things. I often get obsessive when loosing weight and getting into shape. I take Saffron, Coconut Oil and various teas and vitamins like L-Carnitine that promote weight loss. I heard I should take Phen (the non prescribed version) after I am off phentromine?

Long story short, I am currently at 161 lbs, and doing exercise at the moment mostly cardio to break down my fat. Shortly I am going to start lifting and being off phentromine. Does anyone have any input or suggestions?

What can I do to avoid gaining weight back ? In the past I have not taken phen but just had great focus after I was off the sweets and bad carbs. I am hoping my results will be enough to give me the drive. What should I expect?

Any suggestions are welcomed!

Thank you very very much!!

Mike
  • motor58
    motor58 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Hi Mike,

I am no expert but one thing I have learned is to wean off of the drug when you are finished. I don't know what dose you are taking, but for me taking a small small dose for a week then every other day for another week is the way to go after I am 'done'. I find myself CRAZY hungry if I stop taking them abruptly. Then of course keep your better eating habits going :) It's a great drug and I feel lucky to have it-so much hate here, it's a shame really. Anyway, best of luck to you!

----And for all the people reading this: this drug is prescribed by doctors. Those of us who take it are doing so under the supervision of a doctor. If you don't approve of this drug then please don't take it. It is not addictive. It does not make you gain weight after (you do that, not the drug). Please try to be respectful.
  • ogmomma2012
    ogmomma2012 Posts: 1,520 Member
    Options
    I just got a refill for Phentermine. Learn good habits while you can! I also second the weaning off when you feel you no longer need it/want it.