Anyone taking Adipex (Phentermine)?

Options

Replies

• gogojenniko
    gogojenniko Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    I took adipex for about a year but it started making my heart rate speed up and I couldn't sleep even if I took the pill at 6am. My advice? Don't do it. It's good for staving off cravings, but it really wacks you out if you aren't careful.
  • abbylaurn
    Options
    I have been keeping my calories around 1370 a day with my fitness pal app & trying to be active 3 days a week at minimum. I do work as an ER nurse so I'm active in my daily life so my days off I feel like I just want to lay around instead of going to the gym. I added phentermine to my daily routine today and while I've taken it in the past with some results I am trying to break through a plateau... my question is-- do you think my calories should be cut down more to counteractive not going to the gym as often as I should? I have been trying to drink 1-2L of water daily but that's hit and miss sometimes. Any input would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!!
  • kristinnicole41
    Options
    Good Morning!

My endocrinologist just prescribed me Phentermine yesterday. She has me cutting the 37.5 pill in half. I was diagnosed hypothyroid in 2012, went hyperthyroid, and back to hypo in early 2013. My thyroid levels have (finally!) been consistently good for the last 6 months. I was also diagnosed with PCOS and Insulin Resistance last year. Due to all this, I gained 28 pounds. Overall, I lost 10 pounds over the summer (I began Metformin and finally got on a good dosage of thyroid medication after trying many combinations) and have only gained a pound or two back while I haven't been working out and watching my diet this fall. My goal is to lose the remaining 20 pounds I gained. I cut out sugary snacks, soda, and fried food, and have gone to the gym 4-5 days a week for the past two weeks. I haven't lost any weight, which is why I fell off the bandwagon this past fall. I have seen some success stories on here about Phentermine. My question is has anyone taken this low of a dose/had success?

Thanks!
  • TCarter18
    Options
    Hi. I recently started taking it and I've had great results. No, it isn't a "miracle" drug. You must LEARN to eat better while on it so that once you get off of it you have better eating habits. You also must exercise. If you gain the weight back, it's simply your own fault. So everyday I am committed to exercising and eating healthier. The only side effects I've had thus far is dry mouth which is actually a good thing because it is forcing me to drink more water. Good luck to everyone.
  • korygilliam
    korygilliam Posts: 594 Member
    Options
    Dayo6 is a spammer for the website (look at their profile, all 6 posts report purchasing from online...and funny that the websites are different for the different posts). Don't buy without a doctors guidance!
  • ChaoticMiNd
    ChaoticMiNd Posts: 247 Member
    Options
    I take it. It has been a month since I've started it and it works really good at helping me not feel as hungry. I began this making changes right along with the pill. I have lost 20 (by my scale) in under a month. I know that slows down but I'm on the right track.
  • turtledove773
    turtledove773 Posts: 122 Member
    Options
    At one time I used it in combo with an HCG weekly shots and a 1200 calorie diet. IMO its a great tool for starting your weight loss journey. But like other poster said once you go off of it if you pick up your old habits you will put the weight back on.. however that's no different from anything else we go through as dieters! Just keep up your exercise and diet habits after you go off the pills and you will be fine!
  • TrailRunner61
    TrailRunner61 Posts: 2,505 Member
    Options
    If your calorie intake is what you say and you really exercise everyday, you shouldn't need the phentermine to lose weight.

I'd try going off it and see if I could still control what I eat. Maybe eat more protein to stay full and drink more water if you feel hungry.

Drugs, fads, 'diets', etc. are all temporary solutions to weight loss. You are a strong person, you WANT this, and you can do it. Good luck. :)
  • OneImaginaryGirl
    OneImaginaryGirl Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    Is anyone who is taking any of these drugs on antidepressants too? I am hoping to get a script, but am worried that because I am taking antidepressants, my doc won't write one for me.
  • mikeroybal
    mikeroybal Posts: 111 Member
    Options
    I stopped taking it a little while ago. I have noticed a definite increase in my appetite but I have been able to control it. While my weight loss has slowed I think it will be for the best if I achieve my goal with out the aid of medications so I have a much better chance of maintaining the weight loss. Other than yesterday I have not really gone over on my calories.
  • mikeroybal
    Options
    Is anyone who is taking any of these drugs on antidepressants too? I am hoping to get a script, but am worried that because I am taking antidepressants, my doc won't write one for me.

I can't speak to your individual case but the Doctor I work with has prescribed Phentermine to patients taking certain anti-depressants. Just be honest and straight forward with your Doctor and show him/her some sort of a reasonable plan for weight loss.
  • OneImaginaryGirl
    OneImaginaryGirl Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    Thanks. I just checked online to see what drugs interact, and unfortunately all of the ones I take do. :(
  • knra_grl
    knra_grl Posts: 1,568 Member
    Options
    If your calorie intake is what you say and you really exercise everyday, you shouldn't need the phentermine to lose weight.

I'd try going off it and see if I could still control what I eat. Maybe eat more protein to stay full and drink more water if you feel hungry.

Drugs, fads, 'diets', etc. are all temporary solutions to weight loss. You are a strong person, you WANT this, and you can do it. Good luck. :)

This - honestly if you are eating a proper diet and exercising you will lose weight - a miracle drug may help you drop pounds now but what about when you quit - many have stated they gained weight back. Save your money and do what needs to be done. Sorry but when you do stop taking these magic pills you are going to gain weight or take more drastic measures to keep it off. But good luck to you all!
  • jmxxiiii
    jmxxiiii Posts: 231 Member
    Options

This - honestly if you are eating a proper diet and exercising you will lose weight - a miracle drug may help you drop pounds now but what about when you quit - many have stated they gained weight back. Save your money and do what needs to be done. Sorry but when you do stop taking these magic pills you are going to gain weight or take more drastic measures to keep it off. But good luck to you all!

That is not true, I stopped taking it over a year ago and I haven't gained back anything. Why? Because I used the medication as a tool to aid my goals.

People are so negative about the use of prescription weight loss medications, and why? Does it effect you what I take? Does it change your own life on what I (a general I.) use to aid in my own (again, generalized my) weight loss journey? I know people love to call using prescription weight loss medication as cheating, would you tell someone who was battling another form of physical illness a cheater for seeking medical treatment? Phentermine is the medication that pushed me towards my goal, without it I'd likely still be morbidly obese, frustrated and miserable.

For those of you who are worried about taking something that could interact with other medications, try Bronkaid or Primatene. I cannot afford my Phentermine anymore, so I use an ECA stack (google it) to receive the same effects that Phentermine gave me. Be responsible, be knowledgeable and be your own advocate.
  • mikeroybal
    Options
    Thanks. I just checked online to see what drugs interact, and unfortunately all of the ones I take do. :(
    Ok. then I would suggest going to your Doctor and see if he or she can refer you to a Nutritionist. I have seen this work for quite a few people. A lot of Anti-Depressants can contribute to weight gain. I would think if you were to use MFP with a sensable caloric deficit you would see a difference.
  • DenverBarbara
    DenverBarbara Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    New doc suggested using phentermine bec my BMI so high now, over 30. Also using antidepressants, which prob contributed to my gradual wt gain over the years. So I have to decide soon... I know natural is better but it obviously hasn't worked. The idea of a kick start to get off my butt and exercise and cook healthy food sounds good. Thanks to all for your comments in this thread. I needed more than medical info.
  • fence007
    fence007 Posts: 12 Member
    Options

That is not true, I stopped taking it over a year ago and I haven't gained back anything. Why? Because I used the medication as a tool to aid my goals.

People are so negative about the use of prescription weight loss medications, and why? Does it effect you what I take? Does it change your own life on what I (a general I.) use to aid in my own (again, generalized my) weight loss journey? I know people love to call using prescription weight loss medication as cheating, would you tell someone who was battling another form of physical illness a cheater for seeking medical treatment? Phentermine is the medication that pushed me towards my goal, without it I'd likely still be morbidly obese, frustrated and miserable.

For those of you who are worried about taking something that could interact with other medications, try Bronkaid or Primatene. I cannot afford my Phentermine anymore, so I use an ECA stack (google it) to receive the same effects that Phentermine gave me. Be responsible, be knowledgeable and be your own advocate.

This. Well said.
  • ginapetrillo78
    Options
    I have been on fastin and adipex off and on for 8 years. Let me say this. I was 150 when I started and the fastin only dropped me to 140. I went off fastin for a couple months and then when I went back on the fastin, I took a fastin and an hour later I was starving. They make me so hungry. Fastin makes me eat so much. So then I switched to adipex and lost 5 pounds and that was it. Then I gained it back 6 months later and I'm just stuck again at 150. Has anyone else had this problem with fastin
  • ginapetrillo78
    Options
    Your also a man. Men keep weight off better than women. It's so hard for women
  • ginapetrillo78
    Options
    When I stopped taking it.. Slept for hours upon hours. I went to bed at 11 pm and woke around 11 am.