Anyone taking Adipex (Phentermine)?

Options

Replies

• OneImaginaryGirl
    OneImaginaryGirl Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    Unfortunately, I have gone that route before and not really had a lot of success. Also, am currently not able to afford it.
    But thanks for the suggestion.
  • korygilliam
    korygilliam Posts: 594 Member
    Options
    If your calorie intake is what you say and you really exercise everyday, you shouldn't need the phentermine to lose weight.

I'd try going off it and see if I could still control what I eat. Maybe eat more protein to stay full and drink more water if you feel hungry.

Drugs, fads, 'diets', etc. are all temporary solutions to weight loss. You are a strong person, you WANT this, and you can do it. Good luck. :)

This - honestly if you are eating a proper diet and exercising you will lose weight - a miracle drug may help you drop pounds now but what about when you quit - many have stated they gained weight back. Save your money and do what needs to be done. Sorry but when you do stop taking these magic pills you are going to gain weight or take more drastic measures to keep it off. But good luck to you all!

That is not true, I stopped taking it over a year ago and I haven't gained back anything. Why? Because I used the medication as a tool to aid my goals.

People are so negative about the use of prescription weight loss medications, and why? Does it effect you what I take? Does it change your own life on what I (a general I.) use to aid in my own (again, generalized my) weight loss journey? I know people love to call using prescription weight loss medication as cheating, would you tell someone who was battling another form of physical illness a cheater for seeking medical treatment? Phentermine is the medication that pushed me towards my goal, without it I'd likely still be morbidly obese, frustrated and miserable.

For those of you who are worried about taking something that could interact with other medications, try Bronkaid or Primatene. I cannot afford my Phentermine anymore, so I use an ECA stack (google it) to receive the same effects that Phentermine gave me. Be responsible, be knowledgeable and be your own advocate.

I agree. People are very anti-med assisted weight loss because the failure rate is so high. This is because people try to use it as a magic drug that will cure their eating problems and all.

I have been off phentermine (under doctors careful guidance, who made me use MFP as a requirement) for 4 years now and still have kept off 59 pounds (I lost about 50 pounds with phentermine, when I came off I gained 10 pounds because I quit using my food diary, then I realized I was backsliding and started back up and continued my exercise and diet journal on MFP for following year to lose total of 70 pounds for 2 years. Last year I quit doing my diary as well and exercise due to family health issues and I have held steady my 8 pound gain for almost a year. ). I used the drug w/ diet and exercise in order to get me used to appropriate portions.

If you stop using the pill and go back to old habits, you will go back to your old size. And some people can't tolerate the med and others, like me, quickly lose the 'buzz' feeling, but continue having the decreased hunger benefit.

If you don't like the drug, then don't take it...but don't criticize those that use it (successfully or not), because maybe they would've succeeded if they hadn't had a bunch of negative people spouting how they are going to fail.
  • mikeroybal
    mikeroybal Posts: 111 Member
    Options
    Unfortunately, I have gone that route before and not really had a lot of success. Also, am currently not able to afford it.
    But thanks for the suggestion.
    If you have no cardiac problem why not try a modest exercise program, use MFP to track a healthy caloric deficit and join a group where you think you can relate and make regular posts.
    I have "friends" on MFP who I don't really know at all but I log on a regular basis because they are also and I do better if I am accountable to somebody.
  • Val_67
    Val_67 Posts: 23
    Options
    Is anyone who is taking any of these drugs on antidepressants too? I am hoping to get a script, but am worried that because I am taking antidepressants, my doc won't write one for me.

Like someone already said, it all depends on what antidepressant(s) you are taking. My PCP is who prescribes my Adipex, and he also ended up putting me on Celexa at the end of October after I complained of frequent headaches. At this time my husband and I had just separated, & I had a ton of stress in my life, so even though I had never taken an anti- depressant I decided to give it a try, & I'm really glad I did because the Celexa truly helps me. Here are my 2 little statements regarding MY PERSONAL EXPERIENCES using my prescribed anti- depressant in combination with Adipex:

1) When I take the Celexa in combination with Adipex, I do not notice any adverse effects or changes in behavior. When I was prescribed the Celexa I hit the interwebs to read reviews about it and it's effects. A lot of people said it made them feel "zombieish," "out of it," etc. My 1st month taking it I never felt physically different at all & I thought it might have been because I was using it with the Adipex, but then I went off of Adipex for 2 months (no insurance, couldn't afford Dr. visit), & I didn't feel any different once I went from taking the Celexa & Adipex at the same time to only taking the Celexa. HOWEVER...

2) Another major complaint from Celexa users was the side- effect of weight gain. When I was taking Celexa with the Adipex I still lost weight like I have any other time I have taken Adipex, BUT the very 1st month I took the Celexa alone I gained nearly 20 pounds in SIX weeks! Over the years I have taken Adipex on & off several times, & I had NEVER EVER EVER experienced regaining the weight lost (& then some) so soon after getting off Adipex. Sure, I sometimes gained some back, but it was over months and even years and was due to such things as not keeping up with my healthy diet and exercise, getting pregnant, having a baby, etc. So simply put, I personally believe that taking the Celexa alone really had something to do with my sudden weight gain this time after I stopped taking Adipex for a bit. So if one of the known side- effects of your anti- depressant is sudden weight gain, you might want to consider not getting a prescription for Adipex unless you're sure you'll be able to be on it for at least a couple of consecutive months while you develop & maintain a healthy lifestyle, and then maybe ask your doctor about weaning you off of the Adipex once you've reached or neared your weight loss goal (that's what I plan to do).

Sorry for such a long reply, but just figured my personal input might help you in some way. Good luck with your weight loss, I know it's always a struggle when you struggle with depression/ anxiety as well.
  • How does one get a prescription for this? I am 190lbs, and 5'7". I have been trying and trying to lose weight, and just can't seem to get over the slump. I have a couple good days and then fail miserably. I would like to try something like this to kickstart my lifestyle change. I have started the southbeach diet, because I like how well laid out it is, but am still constantly hungry and am so unmotivated when I am trying so hard, and not seeing any results.

Do I just go to my GP and ask?
  • cjbester
    cjbester Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    Same thing happened to me, it was great, but I gained the majority of the weight back. Now I'm starting over trying to do it on my own and it is a slow process. I've been told you take it off right and it doesn't come back unless you don't eat right at all and stop doing what you started. I'm kind of discouraged, but determined to learn to live healthy and work on staying healthy on my own.
  • Val_67
    Val_67 Posts: 23
    Options
    How does one get a prescription for this? I am 190lbs, and 5'7". I have been trying and trying to lose weight, and just can't seem to get over the slump. I have a couple good days and then fail miserably. I would like to try something like this to kickstart my lifestyle change. I have started the southbeach diet, because I like how well laid out it is, but am still constantly hungry and am so unmotivated when I am trying so hard, and not seeing any results.

Do I just go to my GP and ask?

Yes, you can just ask your GP about it. However, all doctor's are different when it comes to when and how they prescribe it. I've known some fishy doctors who will just prescribe it to anyone who asks for it and charge out the you- know- what for each doctor visit, and then I know of several doctors who are extremely strict about who they prescribe it to (i.e. extremely obese patients who have not been able to lose much weight with diet and exercise alone). So the only way you'll know for sure is by asking your dr yourself. Just explain to your GP that you have been trying to lose weight the right way, but that you seem to be stuck in a rut. He/ she will decide whether or not they think you're a good candidate for Adipex.
  • panache1225
    Options
    where did you get the phentermine? i have been looking for it for quite some time. all i can find are knockoffs:smile:
  • Thanks. :smile:
  • TCarter18
    Options
    Yes, just go to your primary care physician. I DO NOT purchase drugs online. I don't feel comfortable with it. But my doctor makes me come in and weigh in, she checks my BP, etc... to ensure I'm okay with it.
  • cookiealbright
    cookiealbright Posts: 605 Member
    Options
    Don't do drugs. This all seems so complicated to me and all these drug names are giving me a headache!
  • korygilliam
    korygilliam Posts: 594 Member
    Options
    It is a controlled drug, so you have to have a dr's prescription. Just ask your dr about it.
  • Kiea
    Kiea Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    You need to find a weight loss center in your area. The doctor there can prescribed them to you. I go once a month & it cost me about an $100.00 a visit for a 30 day supply.
  • TCarter18
    Options
    Wow, going to my PCP I only pay my copay and $19 at Walgreens for 37.5 Phentermine.
  • twylat22
    Options
    Hi today I will be starting the Phen im excited and determine to lose my 30lb I am 5'2 176 biggest I've been not pregnant and I definitely want to be summer time fine wish me luck please:wink:
  • tech_kitten
    tech_kitten Posts: 221 Member
    Options
    I'm taking phentermine now, and I am still somewhat hungry, although I can't tell if it is hunger or boredom. I was on phentermine before, and I lost down to my high school weight, so I thought I would try it again. I think it loses it's effectiveness over time, and I did gain the weight back gradually, but that had a lot to do with my poor habits. I'm not sure if any of my post-diet weight gain could actually be contributed to the pills, but I'm not an expert.
    I had some jittery-ness, and that corresponded with a high pulse, since it's a stimulant. You are young, so I'm sure you will be ok since they prescribed it for you.
  • _AwesomeSauce_
    Options
    I took Phentermine for two months last year, July and August. It's a great kick start to losing weight, but I HIGHLY recommend that you are already working your *kitten* off in the gym prior to taking the drug, AND, learn to love eating fruits, nuts, and veggies in exchange for the normal junk food you would eat. Otherwise, your weight will come back, and then some. Embrace your new healthy lifestyle change as if you were not taking Phentermine.

I kept my weight off and lost even more from working out 5 to 6 days a week.

Would I take it again? Probably not, only because of how it gave me some scary heart rhythmic palpitations. I feel lucky to have only taken it for two months....and lived to tell about it. I was taking 37.5mg.

I never felt hungry while taking it because I drank a lot of water all day long, and snacked on cucumbers, carrots, and nuts...

good luck!
  • gabbygirl78
    gabbygirl78 Posts: 936 Member
    Options
    i take it and love it. Gives me energy and takes my appetite. I have to remind myself to eat. I took it before and lost 85 lbs in 6 months while taking it and doing a low carb diet. I didn't gain the weight back after I stopped taking it. I continued to lose in fact. I did gain the weight back 2 years later after I was laid off from my job and was going through a terrible divorce while going through nursing school. I'm back on it now and my first weight in will be Monday! :drinker:
  • bettyjoburdett
    bettyjoburdett Posts: 120 Member
    Options
    Your Doctor prescribed it for you and if you trust him or her then take it, and use it for your benefit. Any tool that we use to fight this struggle of being overweight is useful. I am a compulsive eater. I have had gastric bypass, gone to WW, TOPS, tried the Atkins, Grapefruit diet, etc. etc. and have always gained most of the weight back. I have never quit trying, and will continue to try to lose this unwanted fat for as long as it takes. I am taking Phentermine now, my Doctor is OK with it even knowing that I have failed in the past.

I was told when I had the bypass surgery that it still comes down to controlling the urges. If I ate small amounts of meat, vegetables and fruit I would be successful, but as a compulsive eater I found out like a large group of people did that chips, cookies, bread, etc. go into the stomach as smooth as can be.

I do understand why people would scratch their head or see me as someone who has no will power or uses a crutch to depend on intstead of buckling down, suck it up and just STOP EATING SO MUCH! but I have had will power in other areas of my life such as smoking 2 packs a day and was able to overcome that addiction but when it comes to food I fail.

I guess after all this, all I am trying to say is that yes, others may tell you phentermine is not good for you, a crutch, weight gain will occur when you stop taking it, etc. you use what is the best tool at hand and maybe, just maybe all the good, logical, healthy eating practices just might kick in and you will be successful with your weight loss and will keep it off. I applaud you for your success so far, and wish you the very best of luck!
  • CemeraMaria
    CemeraMaria Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I just started 2 days ago and I'm down 2 lbs. I never been on a dr recommend pill b4. I been on la weight loss and weight watchers but in 2013 so much stuff happen and I gained 30lbs. I got so depressed I cried ever other day. I know I need to get back on my diet and excerise and I plan 2. I just need that extra push to make me feel better. I'm so mad at myself for gaining so much weight. I'm so scared I'm going to gain the weight back. My dr says I can't go over 1,000 calories a day. This is going to be hard, but I want the old me back. Is there anyone out there that didn't gain the weight back after they stopped taking the pills?PS my dr gave me only 15mg she wants to see how my body handles it. I see a lot of people are on 37mg