Options

Replies

• CemeraMaria
    CemeraMaria Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I love your story Betty
  • MissPhoenyx
    Options
    I was on Phentermine in 2009. I lost 65 lbs and kept it off for a year and half. My eating habits stayed the same only my workouts changed a bit. Needless to say, I've gained it all back plus some and I now have a MVR (my former doctor thinks it's from Phentermine). I just moved so, I'll see a new doctor to get a second opinion. I won't go back on Phentermine UNLESS my new doctor deems it's safe but, I don't think that will happen. While I was on it, I rarely had any appetite, I was always tired and thirsty. A lot of my nutrient levels dropped to the point I had to have prescription vitamins because otc vitamins didn't have enough. I couldn't eat any meat products, I would get super sick and anything with sugar would give me headaches.I'm extremely sensitive to medication so, what I experience isn't what many people would experience. That's the thing about any medication prescribed or not, everyones body reacts differently so what make work for another doesn't always work in the same way as it would for someone else.
  • TCarter18
    Options
    Please eat right and exercise daily. Phentermine helps to reduce your appetite. That's all. But if you never learn to eat the right foods or to exercise, when you come off it you will gain it back.

Everyday I'm trying to eat the right things and do so in moderation. If I eat something that I deem as a little unhealthy I don't binge on it. I have a little and move on.

The exercise part is a big a part of our success. My coworker has been drilling this in my head and she is correct. She lost 150lbs and she hasn't gained it back but she changed her habits. She is no longer on the pill. She's been off of it a whole year. She exercises and eats a balanced diet.

I believe we can do the same.
  • aprilcherie
    aprilcherie Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    Did you ever start this? I'm 5 1' 150, uggghhh. Never been this heavy except when pregnant. I've been working out 4 days a week and trying to count calories on fitness pal. BUt my eating is terrible. It was never this bad prior to being pregnant. I just got my scrip for Phen today, will start with 1/2 pill in the morning. I hope it gets me over this hump.
  • MKEgal
    MKEgal Posts: 3,250 Member
    Options
    I asked my doc about 3 years ago if he would prescribe this & he wouldn't because he had a patient who had a heart attack while using it. I'm going to see him again to talk about taking it on a short term basis.
    Was the other patient taking fen-phen, or only phentermine?
    Because the combination was taken off the market, dangerous to health.
    Just phentermine by itself is safe, at least as far as problems like that.

I've only been on it a little more than a week, but it's really nice not to be hungry all the time.
    It lets me eat small portions, less food overall, etc. and retrain both my brain (eyes) and body (stomach) so that when I have to stop taking it in 3 months hopefully I'll have better habits established.

And I'm working out every day. Every day I do 30 minutes on the elliptical and every other day I also do weights.
    Let's hear it for Planet Fitness and their $10 a month deal! I'll probably use more than that in hot water over the month.
  • MKEgal
    Options
    I took this pill for the first time back in 1995. At that time I weighed 155 lbs. At 5'10" and 155 lbs. I thought that I was fat.
    How did you talk your doctor into prescribing it?! You were on the low end of healthy, and it's only supposed to be used for people who are over 30BMI, or over 27 with other weight-related health issues.
    Today, well yesterday I went back to the doctor for a 30 supply. We was pleased at my weight. I am 180
    Again, you're way below the BMI that's supposed to be required.
  • MKEgal
    Options
    I took the drug called Fen-phen about 10 years ago... Yes I lost about 20-30 lbs in 6 months. I also got a damaged heart valve.
    That's why the combination was taken off the market. Phentermine is the non-dangerous half.
    You can lose weight without taking drugs if you have the perserverance to do it.
    Not everyone can. It's not just a matter of willpower, and it's not helpful (or nice) to say that. Sort of like telling someone who's depressed to just get over it & be happy.

Especially people who have gone up & down several times have messed up their metabolism so it's trying to maintain the body at the higher weight, making the person very hungry when they're eating at a healthy calorie level.
    Controlling that hunger can let the person continue to eat healthy.
  • MKEgal
    Options
    Is anyone who is taking any of these drugs on antidepressants too? I am hoping to get a script, but am worried that because I am taking antidepressants, my doc won't write one for me.
    It depends on what you're taking.
    If you're on an MAOI, no way should you take phentermine. I think you have to be off the MAOI 2 weeks before starting phentermine.
    If you're on SSRI's, you have to be more aware of (watch out for) those side effects, but you could take phentermine.
    I'm on an SSRI/SNRI and my endocrinologist / weight loss doc did contact my psychiatrist before allowing me to take phentermine, but I'm not having any problems from either drug.
  • MKEgal
    Options
    Don't do drugs.
    Using phentermine is not "doing drugs". It's taking a beneficial medication under the direction and care of a physician... just like for any other health problem.
    I really wish people would stop being so negative about how other people are managing their lives.
    This all seems so complicated to me and all these drug names are giving me a headache!
    So because you can't figure it out, nobody should be using a diet aid?? :huh:
  • jyarrison
    jyarrison Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    I am OK just on day one of the pill... I have had no side effects but know I could... The key to this is how you eat... The doctor noticed that I had dropped all my soda most of my junk food but still wasnt losing weight.. I am 330.. I am very healthy but the weight is causing back pain, knee problems etc. I also have sleep apnea... The pill is a jump start to get you over the hurdle. Most people do lose weight and its about 20-25 lbs and then they just stay there. that is what happened to me even with a trainer and eating high protein etc... Everyone's bodies are different! Food that makes you gain weight may not make me gain weight. I am confident that during the three months if you make a different lifestyle and better habits in eating that you will keep the weight off... I hope everyone has a great day and loses what they are trying too.
  • jyarrison
    Options
    Phentermine is not Fhen Phen- The FDA took out the Fhen part of the medicine before allowing this medicine to come back on to the market.. That is why they check you before hand to see if you have any heart issues etc before they will give it too you.. I just started it and I will be monitored by my doctor and I will check my blood pressure daily... I have always had good blood pressure but need the jump start for my metabolism in order to start losing weight... I have been doing all the good stuff, eating right, exercising and still stay at 330.. that is not a good weight to be at so I am going to try it for the 3 months and see.. My doctor will check me at 5 weeks and if he feels that the pill is causing any problems he will stop it then...
  • jyarrison
    Options
    If your calorie intake is what you say and you really exercise everyday, you shouldn't need the phentermine to lose weight.

I'd try going off it and see if I could still control what I eat. Maybe eat more protein to stay full and drink more water if you feel hungry.

Drugs, fads, 'diets', etc. are all temporary solutions to weight loss. You are a strong person, you WANT this, and you can do it. Good luck. :)

This - honestly if you are eating a proper diet and exercising you will lose weight - a miracle drug may help you drop pounds now but what about when you quit - many have stated they gained weight back. Save your money and do what needs to be done. Sorry but when you do stop taking these magic pills you are going to gain weight or take more drastic measures to keep it off. But good luck to you all!

That is not true, I stopped taking it over a year ago and I haven't gained back anything. Why? Because I used the medication as a tool to aid my goals.

People are so negative about the use of prescription weight loss medications, and why? Does it effect you what I take? Does it change your own life on what I (a general I.) use to aid in my own (again, generalized my) weight loss journey? I know people love to call using prescription weight loss medication as cheating, would you tell someone who was battling another form of physical illness a cheater for seeking medical treatment? Phentermine is the medication that pushed me towards my goal, without it I'd likely still be morbidly obese, frustrated and miserable.

For those of you who are worried about taking something that could interact with other medications, try Bronkaid or Primatene. I cannot afford my Phentermine anymore, so I use an ECA stack (google it) to receive the same effects that Phentermine gave me. Be responsible, be knowledgeable and be your own advocate.

thanks for the info.... I am on it just started day one.... I have thyroid disease, sleep apnea and am 330lbs... I have dropped all my soda, dropped most of my junk food.. don't overeat on breads etc drink water and tea( occasionally ) and I have stayed at that 330 since October... not everyone's bodies are the same... I have constant hunger. I can eat and be full and be hungry again in 10 mins... I find myself snacking all the time... If this can help me change my habits and eat better things then I am all for it. My doctor is monitoring me so I am OK with that... If he feels in 5 weeks that it is bad then he will stop it, but if my heart rate is good and I am doing OK then he will keep me on another 10 weeks.. then I will be off of it..
  • rsbremiller
    Options
    Yes! I am 1 month in, had a few of the side-effects (dry mouth, restlessness at night - but then I never was a good sleeper, more focus and energy, and 90% of the time, I have to remind myself to eat) and in that time I've lost 6lbs.

Not a lot, huh? Well, let me tell you a little something about myself...

I'm 35, 5'8", SW 236lb (CW 230). I work out (bootcamp, cardio & resistance classes) 4-6 x week and do yoga 2-3 x week. I've run 3 half marathons and countless 5, 8, 10Ks in the last 5 years. Ignore my weight, and you'd think that iId be the poster child for a healthy lifestyle.

But I have a downfall... my nurition sucks.

Well, it really doesn't SUCK - I eat all of the good things, 100+ g protein, whole, fresh fruits and veggies. (and yes, I eat some of the worser things too.. I'm a foodie, I love most edible things!) Drink 80-150 oz water/day.

But theconnection between my stomache and my brain is faulty. I don't get the "hey stop! you're full!" signals. If there was food around - I had to have it. In fact, there were times I even obsessed over it. Counting calories, and logging things in meticulously - including my exercise to see if I can eke out a few extra food calories.

That wasn't as big deal when you added 1/2 marathon training in on top of my normal exercise routine. But it mattered when I stopped training. And when I am in a realtionship with someone who doesn't treat the gym like a second home, who loves food, wine and good beer as much or more than I do, and has an absurd tendency to try to make me clean my plate.

So I slid... and slid.... and put on 20 lbs in 1 year. (For reference, i was 206/size 12 at the end of my last half marathon - :cry: pregain.)

Then I did this anti-candidia diet, and lke magic - 20lbs poured off. Well, not magic really, when you're only eating 1100 calories per day! NOT ENOUGH, PEOPLE!!! For those of you who (and I read this entire string) are eating at 900, 1100, 1200 calories... how is your brain functioning????? (yes, I realize that I sound like a hypocrite... all I have to say is - we all get desperate sometimes.) As soon as I added back in dairy, grain and a modest amount of sugar, and in just 4 months - I was up 30 lbs. :sad:

I'm 100% supporter for calorie restriction. As long as it's smart. MFP has a tendency to under-suggest a proper calorie intake. Especially if people aren't eating back calories from exercise (which is what the MFP macro expects.) The only thing I can think of is that some of you aren't being exactly honest about portions or "forgetting" about that 10pm snack...

I digress though.

A few thoughts for all of you:

1) find our what your actual BMR and TDEE is. I like this calculator http://iifym.com/tdee-calculator/ and the macro calculator http://iifym.com/iifym-calculator/ which is a combo of the TDEE and then figuring out what your actual protein/carb/fat intake should be. MFP tends to be very carb-centric. So find out what you should be eating and stick to it - either in a TDEE (not eating back calories, because you're working off a weekly average) or slightly above BMR level and always eating back your calories.

2) It's sometimes not just as simple as "move more, eat less" There are also psychological and chemical components to it. Example - even on the Phen, which helps me stick to my TDEE calorie limit (and usually only eat when I'm hungry) I still have to be cautious about when I'm bored. Because nothing makes grazing in the pantry/fridge/cafeteria more appealing than when my brain is not challenged.

3) With a few exceptions (some I've seen in this forum), those of us who are on Phen, know it's not a miracle drug. Know it's not a forever-thing. Know there's always a chance that if we don't support the loss with exercise and diet changes that we might regain.

4) At the end of the day, if we're choosing to add Phen into our arsenal of tools to help us reclaim our healthy weight bodies, please don't ostracize us. Anyone who has struggled with their weight already feels the emotional impact of being the "chubby" "thick" "big boned" "fat" "uncaring about their appearance" "lazy" "undisciplined" one in society. (Not trying to project anything here, just leveraging some of the things I've read as well as felt.) We don't need to feel like we're not welcome in a place (MFP) that is intended as a support tool to help us reach our healthy goals. MFP, like Phen, like educating ourselves is just one more tool in our healthy lifestyle arsenal.

I echo what another posted said - do research, educate yourselves and above all - be your own advocate. Others can provide you counsel, but no one but you can decide what's best for you. Good luck to you all on your journeys!
  • CBC435
    CBC435 Posts: 103 Member
    Options
    So, I have a wonderful doctor and she discovered that low progesterone can be a culprit for young women and cause weight gain. Although, I don't want to reveal too much as to why I dropped but she has prescribed bioidentical progesterone and phentermine. I just started the prog. about a month ago and have lost 12 pounds and still taking the phentermine for 1 more month. Not sure if it's the prog. helping me drop the weight or the phentermine or both. I am only 26 and turning 27 in a few weeks. I would love feedback with those who are on compounded progesterone/phentermine and around my age. I have now lost 22 pounds since January 2, 2014!
  • verbasubrosa
    Options
    I started Adipex a week and a half ago. I have been heavy for my entire life, and have done every kind of regimen imaginable, barring surgical procedures. I was able to lose 70 lbs on Weight Watchers/low carb focus and keep it off until last year, when I was diagnosed with Hypothyroidism secondary to Hasimoto's. This in combination with antidepressants, caused my weight to skyrocket very quickly, and make weight loss a huge challenge. I gained around 80 lbs, topping out at 320. My doctor decided to start me on Adipex, in combination with a calorie goal my doctor calculated based on my BMI, and moderate exercise.

Taking the Adipex, I am currently eating 2431 calories a day, mostly small frequent meals, and tracking every bite. I do not always make it to the full calorie amount, but I try, as my doctor is insistent that I eat what my body needs, and not put myself into starvation mode, which would inhibit rather than help my impaired metabolism. I am also exercising - cardio and weight circuit training 2-3 times per week.

In little over a week, I am now down to 309 and remain steadfast in monitoring my intake and continued physical activity. Adipex is working for me. I was afraid of the stigma of weight loss medications, but was at a breaking point with my weight, in desperate need of a way to springboard past medical limitations and jump start my metabolism so that I could progress towards my goals when this three-month plan is over.

For those who think medications are a crutch, know that there are some of us out there who have been fighting for our lives, and this method is allowing us a way to regain control over otherwise insurmountable challenges.
  • xanadu817
    Options
    My Dr is pretty awesome because I was an overweight smoker when I started with him and he's truly helping me reach my goals...one at a time. He said we should conquer the cigarettes 1st and since I tolerate Chantix very well I began taking them a few months ago and have been very successful :) Now that I've been smoke free for a while he thinks phentermine will help my weight loss adventure. I've tried some programs before and have had small successes but nothing really life changing.
    After having my physical he suggested the possibly of phentermine to help curb my appetite, so I can start losing the extra 40-50 I carry around with me. The possibly of having an appetite suppressant jump started my motivation and I began getting to my gym 3-4 times a week and being A LOT more mindful of what I ate.
    Happily I've lost 6 solid pounds on my own in 3 weeks and my Dr said a was a prime candidate for phentamine. Unlike so many on this thread, he is only prescribing it for 6 weeks instead of 3 months. Today was my 3rd day on it and have had hardly any side effects. The 1st night I slept really lightly but I think I took my dose later in the day. No headaches, thirsty...yes, but no parched or anything drastic. I know I should probably eat more than I have but its been fun to be around food (I waitress weekend nights) and have no desire to eat any! I feel more focused on whatever I'm working on. No rapid heartbeats or sweating/heat flashes.
    I'm pretty much planning on using it short term and continuing to stay active to keep whatever results I obtain during this time. More to come!
  • LMDEN2014
    LMDEN2014 Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    It is easy to label things based on your own experience, but we have to accept that what works for one person, might not work for all.
    That being said...I am 5ft 3in and 138 lbs, 46 yo, F, size 8 pushing 10.......I know this might not seem like overweight, but for me it is and I do not feel good about myself. I never had weight problems until I quit smoking in 2006 (always a size 2-4)
    I do not ever eat fast food, junk food, soda, etc...and never, means never. I exercise 4-5 times/week (play r-ball in a league and outside the league and to sculpt classes). I cook every meal for me and my family from raw ingredients (I do not buy anything packaged) and mostly organic, non-GMO stuff...yes, you can call me a food freak. I drink a glass of wine every day with dinner, never any other kind of alcohol or any abusing. I sleep 8-9 hours/night. Besides my smoking (stupid!) I never took any drugs (medical or recreational).
    So, I have a pretty healthy lifestyle, yet I have been trying to lose 10-15 lbs for the past 8 years and I am not able to lose anything uless I go to 800-1,000 cal/day. I uually eat about 1500 cal/day.
    I went and talked to a doctor and asked for some help to kick start my metabolism. Today I started taking a combination of 2 meds: Phentermine 15mg and Metformin 500mg. I will start at 1 day and depends how I fell and possible side effects, I will increase to 2/day (from each) for 3months. Then 3 months off. She recommended doing this for 1 year and than no more meds.
    I will see how it works.
  • CBC435
    Options
    It is easy to label things based on your own experience, but we have to accept that what works for one person, might not work for all.
    That being said...I am 5ft 3in and 138 lbs, 46 yo, F, size 8 pushing 10.......I know this might not seem like overweight, but for me it is and I do not feel good about myself. I never had weight problems until I quit smoking in 2006 (always a size 2-4)
    I do not ever eat fast food, junk food, soda, etc...and never, means never. I exercise 4-5 times/week (play r-ball in a league and outside the league and to sculpt classes). I cook every meal for me and my family from raw ingredients (I do not buy anything packaged) and mostly organic, non-GMO stuff...yes, you can call me a food freak. I drink a glass of wine every day with dinner, never any other kind of alcohol or any abusing. I sleep 8-9 hours/night. Besides my smoking (stupid!) I never took any drugs (medical or recreational).
    So, I have a pretty healthy lifestyle, yet I have been trying to lose 10-15 lbs for the past 8 years and I am not able to lose anything uless I go to 800-1,000 cal/day. I uually eat about 1500 cal/day.
    I went and talked to a doctor and asked for some help to kick start my metabolism. Today I started taking a combination of 2 meds: Phentermine 15mg and Metformin 500mg. I will start at 1 day and depends how I fell and possible side effects, I will increase to 2/day (from each) for 3months. Then 3 months off. She recommended doing this for 1 year and than no more meds.
    I will see how it works.

I'm pretty shocked that your doc prescribed phentermine but of course, they know your medical history better than I do. I was under the impression it was only given to those in the obese BMI category. I was on metformin and did gain weight on it. I was on a strict low carb diet and exercising + teaching Zumba 4-6 x a week. It also began to reject certain foods even if they were healthy like lean fish, sometimes chicken and brown rice. I had an awful experience with metformin but was also misdiagnosed while on it. But I have a friend who has been on it for a year and a half and it's worked for her! Best of luck to you!
  • LMDEN2014
    LMDEN2014 Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    CBC 435
    I know, and she knows this med is for obese people, I had to present my log with all my efforts (measurements and weights, my diet, exercise, etc) to get it as a last resort because I am so frustrated with my trials. I can't be doing 800cal/day on long term (that is the only way to lose weight for me....last time on 800 cal I lost 4 lbs in 3 weeks with 5 workouts a week) and the hope is to kick start my metabolism and make my insulin more active. If this fails too, I do not know what can I can possibly do.
    I do not know how long it takes to see side effects from meds (I never taken meds in my life) , but so far I do not have any. I did follow her recommendation to drink lots of water (so far I had 2 l and I am going to the gym where I usually drink another 1 L)
  • CBC435
    Options
    CBC 435
    I know, and she knows this med is for obese people, I had to present my log with all my efforts (measurements and weights, my diet, exercise, etc) to get it as a last resort because I am so frustrated with my trials. I can't be doing 800cal/day on long term (that is the only way to lose weight for me....last time on 800 cal I lost 4 lbs in 3 weeks with 5 workouts a week) and the hope is to kick start my metabolism and make my insulin more active. If this fails too, I do not know what can I can possibly do.
    I do not know how long it takes to see side effects from meds (I never taken meds in my life) , but so far I do not have any. I did follow her recommendation to drink lots of water (so far I had 2 l and I am going to the gym where I usually drink another 1 L)

Right, well definitely give it some time but if it still doesn't work then maybe ask about getting your hormone levels checked? Your story sounds similar to mine so hopefully, you get some answers soon cause it's totally frustrating!