Anyone taking Adipex (Phentermine)?

Options

Replies

• Junebuggyzy
    Junebuggyzy Posts: 345 Member
    Options
    I talked to a Pharmacist about raising the dose. He said that is harmful and not to do it. I have tried increasing my dose in in the past, on my own. I took one 30mg. in the morning and one 30mg in the late afternoon. It still didn't work. It doesn't make a difference. Once it stops working, raising the dose won't make it work any better. For me, that mean it's time to take a break.

The first time I took Phen, it seemed to stop working after six weeks or so. I am not sure why. The last time I took it (not this time) I was on it for three months, and it still worked fine.
  • marycolleenrn
    Options
    Most people don't realize that after 3 months, phentermine stops working, after that, it's all in your head. Most physicians will not prescribe it for more than 3 months. If they do, they are not being responsible prescribers. The purpose of phentermine is to help you through the initial hump of portion control and diet changes, not to replace your will power.
  • dannibraz
    Options
    Hey, as promised, here's my progress after the weigh in with the doctor. As of today, I've lost 13lbs, in 2.5 weeks. I am eating right and exercising and feel good. Phentermine is getting me off to a fantastic start and I'm so grateful. It's undoing bad habits and introducing good ones. It may not work for everyone but it's working damn well for me. Add me if you're on phentermine as I'd really love to give and receive support whilst on and after phentermine! Peace out!!
  • idojpdx
    idojpdx Posts: 83 Member
    Options
    Great job, Dannibraz! Congrats.
  • idojpdx
    Options
    Most people don't realize that after 3 months, phentermine stops working, after that, it's all in your head. Most physicians will not prescribe it for more than 3 months. If they do, they are not being responsible prescribers. The purpose of phentermine is to help you through the initial hump of portion control and diet changes, not to replace your will power.

I appreciate what you're saying, and I'm sure we've all heard the cautionary tales many times. But this is not about simple "willpower" for me. It's about being out of control. When my weight is lower, regular exercise is much easier and more pleasurable, and the activity and lower weight somehow help my body to not be constantly starving and seeking out food. I speak from experience, having used phentermine for several months 20 years ago with no ill effects, and having subsequently maintained at my goal weight--a size 4--for a dozen years (before I had a baby at 45yo and dropped the ball on activity and portion control). I was never able to maintain such a long term weight loss by just counting calories and exercising. I would always end up binging and regaining after losing 15 pounds or so.

I'm using this medication under the close supervision of a board certified physician who monitors my health every two weeks and provides me with a nutrition and exercise counselor. He has taken a medical history and explained the purpose, pros, cons, and limitations of phentermine to me very well. I have also done my own research, both academic and anecdotal, based on my prior experience. I understand quite well what I'm doing.
  • Junebuggyzy
    Options
    Another good thing about it is if I see a drop in pounds and my clothes feeling looser, it is motivating! Without Phen I tend to lose 1/2 pound a week. Losing faster is much more motivating for me. So I started exercising more, and eating healthier.
  • marckromano
    Options
    Hi

I want to share my story with all of you and hope you guys can help me. My name is Andy I'm a Pastry Chef and i used to weight 420 Pound and one day I decided to change my life so went to GYM and start eating healthy etc... So I drop 150 pound with no surgery and i was 270 pound and I guess i hit the PLATEAU I could drop 1 pound for Monthhhhhssss I change everything nothing happens. so one day i saw a HCG at my family's house and i say let me try it. and i did with the HCG I drop 100 pounds. I didnt know u had to stop the cycle and do it again like some people that doing it in 4 to 6 rounds. NOWWWWWWWW since i stop the HCG and I start to eat healthy and exercise, I LOVEEEEEEEE exercise I play TENNIS, VOLLEYBALL and GYM I just love to be active. what happens now its like I DONT KNOW WHAT'S GOING ON WITH MY BODY, becuase now I'm 218 "the picture on my profile its me and the 190 was Nov 2013" I try everyyyyyy things. I have been eating 5 to 6 meals a day, I try CLA, and L-Caritine with GYM, Tennis and NOTHINGGGGGG i just saw the scale is going up n up n up. and frustrated for someone that was Obese and lost that much weight. I'm even scary to eat because i dont want to gain. and one of my friend say try to ADIPEX. and I dont know what to do. they even say check a Dr. to see if there is something with my thyroid.
    my basic meals are Preotien Shack, Chick Salad, Atkins Bar, Lunch, Protein Shack

I just hope you guys can help me ;'( and I'm sorry for my English its not perfect but i try . hope you all have a great day. and i know its not east the journey specially for me as a Pastry Chef, but we all can do it. If I did lost my first 150 with no help we all can do it.

Hi, Adipex is another name to say Phentermine. Phentermine is quite good to lose weight but it comes with very bad side effects, please check the link from webmd.com. Also Phentermine is a prescription drug so It is not easy to buy it.
    I am using a natural diet pills called Phenterpill, and it is helping me a lots losing weight, about 15 pounds per month but before to buy any diet pills I suggest you to speak with your doctor. My friend had your same situation, and she discovered that she was intolerant to some foods, once she stopped to eat those foods, she starting losing weight just doing some normal exercises and sport activity.
  • marckromano
    Options
    I"ve tried Adipex with success lost about 18 lbs. When I quit taking it I went back to my old eating habits. I don't see anything wrong with it as long as you don't go back to your old eating habits you shouldn't gain it back.

Totally agree with your post, before taking diet pills I guess we have to change our habits. Diet pills can be good for short period and never for long one!
  • dchief30
    dchief30 Posts: 129 Member
    Options
    I have never tried it
  • Mpgirl78
    Mpgirl78 Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    I am taking this at a dose of 37.5mg. This is my 2nd experience with it. The first time I did pretty good with it. Lost about 30lbs or so without really changing any habits and not increasing my exercise.

This time it's after a diabetes diagnosis and knowing that I'm just not getting any younger and I have to change my habits in order to you know, LIVE, I've been taking it pretty seriously. I have been watching my calorie intake, have incorporated a gluten free/paleo diet 5-6 days out of the week and 1-2 days out of the week I allow myself some gluten or a regular cheat day with a sweet, like ice cream or something.

I haven't lost like a ton of weight, but I don't really want to either. I'm going for a gradual weight loss (1-2lbs a week) so that I can form new, healthier habits so that I keep it off and not depend on a prescribed medication. So far I have lost about 22lbs since Feb 15th 2014, but only 13lbs from March 2014 to April 2014 while on Phentermine.

Oh and I'm a 35 year old female, 5'8", starting weight was 215 and I'm 193 now. My goal is about 165, 'cause anything less than that I start to look kind of sickly.
  • kornpopper
    Options
    so where do you get phentemine?
  • idojpdx
    Options
    so where do you get phentemine?

It is prescribed by a doctor.
  • idojpdx
    Options
    Hi

I want to share my story with all of you and hope you guys can help me. My name is Andy I'm a Pastry Chef and i used to weight 420 Pound and one day I decided to change my life so went to GYM and start eating healthy etc... So I drop 150 pound with no surgery and i was 270 pound and I guess i hit the PLATEAU I could drop 1 pound for Monthhhhhssss I change everything nothing happens. so one day i saw a HCG at my family's house and i say let me try it. and i did with the HCG I drop 100 pounds. I didnt know u had to stop the cycle and do it again like some people that doing it in 4 to 6 rounds. NOWWWWWWWW since i stop the HCG and I start to eat healthy and exercise, I LOVEEEEEEEE exercise I play TENNIS, VOLLEYBALL and GYM I just love to be active. what happens now its like I DONT KNOW WHAT'S GOING ON WITH MY BODY, becuase now I'm 218 "the picture on my profile its me and the 190 was Nov 2013" I try everyyyyyy things. I have been eating 5 to 6 meals a day, I try CLA, and L-Caritine with GYM, Tennis and NOTHINGGGGGG i just saw the scale is going up n up n up. and frustrated for someone that was Obese and lost that much weight. I'm even scary to eat because i dont want to gain. and one of my friend say try to ADIPEX. and I dont know what to do. they even say check a Dr. to see if there is something with my thyroid.
    my basic meals are Preotien Shack, Chick Salad, Atkins Bar, Lunch, Protein Shack

I just hope you guys can help me ;'( and I'm sorry for my English its not perfect but i try . hope you all have a great day. and i know its not east the journey specially for me as a Pastry Chef, but we all can do it. If I did lost my first 150 with no help we all can do it.

Hi, Adipex is another name to say Phentermine. Phentermine is quite good to lose weight but it comes with very bad side effects, please check the link from webmd.com. Also Phentermine is a prescription drug so It is not easy to buy it.
    I am using a natural diet pills called Phenterpill, and it is helping me a lots losing weight, about 15 pounds per month but before to buy any diet pills I suggest you to speak with your doctor. My friend had your same situation, and she discovered that she was intolerant to some foods, once she stopped to eat those foods, she starting losing weight just doing some normal exercises and sport activity.

As with any medication, phentermine can have side effects, which are mostly minor. It does NOT, for most patients, come with "very bad side effects." Most healthy people tolerate it well, which is why it has been prescribed since 1959. I have had nothing more than a dry mouth, easily remedied by drinking water, and that stopped after about 6 weeks. The only effect now is a controlled appetite.

In the United States, phentermine must be prescribed by a physician. Over the counter "natural" supplements are largely unregulated, and may also have side effects. Some have been pulled from the market.
  • kiddycat73
    kiddycat73 Posts: 67 Member
    Options
    I started taking phen on Friday. As of this morning I am down 3.6lbs. I am having a very hard time eating enough calories though. I'm trying to eat 1200, but i just cant seem to eat that much. I am eating very healthy foods...veggies, lean meats, and fruits. How can I increase my calories without eating "bad" foods?
  • idojpdx
    Options
    I started taking phen on Friday. As of this morning I am down 3.6lbs. I am having a very hard time eating enough calories though. I'm trying to eat 1200, but i just cant seem to eat that much. I am eating very healthy foods...veggies, lean meats, and fruits. How can I increase my calories without eating "bad" foods?

You will probably gain some of your appetite back after a couple weeks on the medication. The first few days, especially, it will really do a number on your hunger. I wouldn't worry about it yet. If you still can't consume enough after you've been on it a while, you might try protein shakes or drinks to supplement.
  • marckromano
    Options
    Hi

As with any medication, phentermine can have side effects, which are mostly minor. It does NOT, for most patients, come with "very bad side effects." Most healthy people tolerate it well, which is why it has been prescribed since 1959. I have had nothing more than a dry mouth, easily remedied by drinking water, and that stopped after about 6 weeks. The only effect now is a controlled appetite.

In the United States, phentermine must be prescribed by a physician. Over the counter "natural" supplements are largely unregulated, and may also have side effects. Some have been pulled from the market.

I totally agre with your comment. you have always to take care when you are using a drugs or a natural supplements, and read carefully the label it is a first step to understand if a product is natural and safe or not.
  • kimberlyizag
    Options
    Advice please. I'm 33, have 3 kids, 5ft 9in tall, weigh about 210. Was diagnosed pcos in December 2013, put on metformin for pcos (NOT diabetes), was diagnosed hypothyroid not quite a month ago, was put on Synthroid that same day. Was prescribed adipex, started that this past Monday 4/7/14. My problem is I usually go all day without eating, the pcos/thyroid issue basically stopped my metabolism so my body takes what I do eat and saves it as fat (Dr says like starvation mode). The thyroid medicine makes me very hungry now. I eat very healthy, drink lots of water only, and exercise at least 3 times a week but I have a very stressful job and very busy home life with 3 kids and sports, etc. Anybody going through anything similar? Any advice? Typical day is a shake for breakfast, healthy choice frozen lunch, dinner is a meat in the oven (usually chicken), a steamed vegetable, and a starch, small portions, and lots of water all day long. Ive been trying to snack mid morning recently because on the thyroid med im starving by 11am and its usually fruit and cheese or yogurt. I don't drink sodas at all, my only vice is once or twice a month we'll do pizza and a movie night with the kids where I'll have a glass of wine and one or two pieces of pizza (never more than two though). And no matter what I do or don't do, I cannot lose more than ten pounds and then just stagnate! So frustrated! I'm really hoping this adipex gets things moving! Any thoughts or suggestions?
  • Junebuggyzy
    Options

I appreciate what you're saying, and I'm sure we've all heard the cautionary tales many times. But this is not about simple "willpower" for me. It's about being out of control.

When my weight is lower, regular exercise is much easier and more pleasurable, and the activity and lower weight somehow help my body to not be constantly starving and seeking out food. I speak from experience, having used phentermine for several months 20 years ago with no ill effects, and having subsequently maintained at my goal weight--a size 4--for a dozen years (before I had a baby at 45yo and dropped the ball on activity and portion control). I was never able to maintain such a long term weight loss by just counting calories and exercising. I would always end up binging and regaining after losing 15 pounds or so.

I'm using this medication under the close supervision of a board certified physician who monitors my health every two weeks and provides me with a nutrition and exercise counselor. He has taken a medical history and explained the purpose, pros, cons, and limitations of phentermine to me very well. I have also done my own research, both academic and anecdotal, based on my prior experience. I understand quite well what I'm doing.

That's interesting that you are monitored every two weeks. I do think it is a huge difference taking it monitored this time, rather than getting the prescription from my Endocrinologist who would prescribe me anything I asked for, but didn't know that much about Phen.

Is it helping to meet with the nutrition and exercise counselor(s)? I would like to see the academic research you have found; I love poring through that stuff. I am one of the weirdo non-medical people who loves reading medical studies, too.
  • sodakat
    sodakat Posts: 1,126 Member
    Options
    ...my basic meals are Preotien Shack, Chick Salad, Atkins Bar, Lunch, Protein Shack

Andy, have you ever eaten REAL meals while on maintenance? What do you eat for "lunch"?
  • idojpdx
    Options

I appreciate what you're saying, and I'm sure we've all heard the cautionary tales many times. But this is not about simple "willpower" for me. It's about being out of control.

When my weight is lower, regular exercise is much easier and more pleasurable, and the activity and lower weight somehow help my body to not be constantly starving and seeking out food. I speak from experience, having used phentermine for several months 20 years ago with no ill effects, and having subsequently maintained at my goal weight--a size 4--for a dozen years (before I had a baby at 45yo and dropped the ball on activity and portion control). I was never able to maintain such a long term weight loss by just counting calories and exercising. I would always end up binging and regaining after losing 15 pounds or so.

That's interesting that you are monitored every two weeks. I do think it is a huge difference taking it monitored this time, rather than getting the prescription from my Endocrinologist who would prescribe me anything I asked for, but didn't know that much about Phen.

Is it helping to meet with the nutrition and exercise counselor(s)? I would like to see the academic research you have found; I love poring through that stuff. I am one of the weirdo non-medical people who loves reading medical studies, too.

If you Google long-term effects of phentermine, there are abstracts and articles available on everything from liver toxicity to addiction.

I like meeting with the counselor. She's very motivating because she lost 60 pounds (with phen) and has maintained it for five or six years. She's had lots of tips for me to get more protein in my diet, too, and I think protein is key for me with weight loss and maintenance.