US Food Policy: If you could change one thing...

Options

Replies

• Acg67
    Acg67 Posts: 12,142 Member
    Options
    Less nannystatism, more personal responsibility
  • WendyTerry420
    WendyTerry420 Posts: 13,274 Member
    Options
    Get rid of the FDA & subsidies for corn &soy

^^^^This, right here^^^^

Rigger
    ^^^ EXACTLY (sharpens pitch fork on bench grinder)

*gathering rails, bags of feathers, and buckets of tar*
  • Fitnin6280
    Fitnin6280 Posts: 618 Member
    Options
    Less nannystatism, more personal responsibility

This!!!!!
  • seltzermint555
    seltzermint555 Posts: 10,742 Member
    Options
    Require all restaurants to post nutritional information on their menus.

Yup, accurate ones too.

REALLY like this idea
  • LC458
    LC458 Posts: 300 Member
    Options
    Get rid of the FDA & subsidies for corn &soy

This^^ and outlaw GMOs

Thats more than 1 thing I realize but the food policy needs a serious overhaul of changes :)
  • DamianaKitten
    DamianaKitten Posts: 479 Member
    Options
    Honest labeling. No redefining what a food is (as the milk industry is attempting) so that you can add a bunch of stuff into something and call it "100%!" <_<
  • PaleoPath4Lyfe
    PaleoPath4Lyfe Posts: 3,161 Member
    Options

Yup, accurate ones too.

So much this. Regardless of chain or not. They know what they're putting in it shouldn't be that hard. And let's be honest, if they had to start reporting calorie counts and sodium content a lot of places would stop the abuse of butter and salt in their recipes.

Most restaurants don't use butter in their recipes...............they use cheap seed oils such as canola, corn, soy, etc.

There is nothing wrong with butter in the least.
  • Cathi888
    Cathi888 Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    Reopen slaughter houses for horses and let the needy have some protein. If they are really hungry, they will eat it. They have come around to eating venison.
  • somefitsomefat
    somefitsomefat Posts: 445 Member
    Options

Yup, accurate ones too.

So much this. Regardless of chain or not. They know what they're putting in it shouldn't be that hard. And let's be honest, if they had to start reporting calorie counts and sodium content a lot of places would stop the abuse of butter and salt in their recipes.
    The reason it's only required for chain restaurants is because it's expensive to have the testing done to determine the calorie count, and that could seriously shut down smaller mom and pop restaurants.

Couldn't they just add up the values of the ingredients?

So, you guys want an agency that goes around testing and monitoring all over the country so you can count your calories. Lol. Ridiculous. There are bigger fish to fry in the economy. Setting up a bureaucracy is not something I support.

Meh, I don't know about all that. Maybe if it pisses you off enough since you seem to be sensitive about the issue. I was just pointing out how easy it would be for mom and pops to just add up the calories of the ingredients of the meals they serve. As far as oversight I say use whatever is in place already or maybe pass the duty off to the health inspector to make sure something is posted. It's probably not nearly as complicated or as expensive as you're making it out to be.
  • fuhrmeister
    fuhrmeister Posts: 1,796 Member
    Options
    I jsut ingnore the FDA's recomendations and do my own research. It's not the governemtns job to tell me what to eat, to tell farmers what to grow or tell resteraunts what to post on their menus. People need to be more responsable for themselves and stop expecthing their goverment to think for them.
  • Slacker16
    Slacker16 Posts: 1,184 Member
    Options
    I would get rid of all farmer subsidies. (...)
    All (powerful) governments subsidize agriculture heavily. It's a matter of national security, not "nannystatism".

As long as countries will occasionally go to war it is necessary to make sure that commercial relations can be broken off with any country and at any time without creating a famine.

As to changing one thing (assuming that legalization doesn't fall under food policies) I would go with stricter labeling laws for health supplements.
  • stefanieraya
    stefanieraya Posts: 110 Member
    Options
    Reorganize and downsize the FDA.
  • Greytfish
    Options
    Reopen slaughter houses for horses and let the needy have some protein. If they are really hungry, they will eat it. They have come around to eating venison.

Venison and horse meat are vastly, vastly different. Venison, raised or hunted, are not routinely fed an excessive amount of substances banned in meat for human consumption the way that horses are.
  • DrMAvDPhD
    DrMAvDPhD Posts: 2,097 Member
    Options

Yup, accurate ones too.

Most restaurants don't use butter in their recipes...............they use cheap seed oils such as canola, corn, soy, etc.

I was referring to quantities used. There is such thing as too much butter.
  • PaleoPath4Lyfe
    Options
    give all the current subsidies to organic farmers / outlaw GMOs, (even russia's doing it)

Yes great idea, and in the process you will effectively put small farmers out of business, increase poverty, and add to world hunger!! Great idea!!!!!!

Do you really believe that bull????? Monsanto doesn't feed the world as they claim. Don't be a sheeple, do some research as to what they do with what they grow.............it doesn't go to end world hunger.
  • PaleoPath4Lyfe
    Options

Yup, accurate ones too.

I was referring to quantities used. There is such thing as too much butter.

Restaurants don't use real butter and very few chain restaurants actually do cooking. Most of the crap they serve is either frozen or canned. The only butter might be on the potato they bring to you and maybe a bit for your bread at the table.
  • PaleoPath4Lyfe
    Options
    give all the current subsidies to organic farmers / outlaw GMOs, (even russia's doing it)

That's silly and Russia just rounded up stray dogs in sochi and killed them, should we do that as well?

The way this country puts down animals because of irresponsible human beings, this country is no better. The US has no right to say a word about what other countries do as this country does things worse than most other countries.

A lot of Americans are pitiful human beings.
  • Greytfish
    Options

That's silly and Russia just rounded up stray dogs in sochi and killed them, should we do that as well?

In the U.S. "we" already do, and at much, much larger numbers overall, even in relation to the populations.