Junk Food and losing weight?

Options

Replies

• zyxst
    zyxst Posts: 9,134 Member
    Options

I wish I am what I eat because people would actually like me.

I eat junk food - what most people call junk food - because I know when I don't, I tend to get snippy, b!tchy, and stabby. Chocolate covered graham crackers for dessert or a late-night snack isn't derailing my weight loss or fitness.

Try to get your blood sugar stable with low GI carbs, or with eating less carbs and more proteins and healthy fats, and I can promise you that your snippy and *****y mood will even out. =)

It's good to hear that your late night snack doesn't affect your weight loss. But still, I guess you want to loose fat and not just weight, so do an experiment for a period, just to see what could happen to your body if you stay away from it.

It's always good to challenge yourself!

Good advice: stop doing what's working for you and do what I think will work for you! :huh: You can pry my chocolate covered grahams (and other foods you don't approve of me eating) from my cold, dead hands. They help me deal with my mental problems and keep me from committing felonies.
  • SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member
    Options

It's not a strawman. It's an example of one extreme. The other would be eating nothing but organic vegetables washed in fresh dew. (which would have it's own set of long term health issues).

Yes an extreme that no one here has ever promoted or tried to support. So, if it isn't a strawman it is an appeal to an extreme. Fallacy still exists.

As to your other point about the GI - it is flawed by it's very nature. http://alanaragon.com/glycemic-index

http://www.mayoclinic.org/glycemic-index-diet/art-20048478?pg=2 another good one too...
  • Ctrum69
    Ctrum69 Posts: 308 Member
    Options
    Newbies and their broscience....gotta love MFP!

nutrient timing
    GI index
    clean diet
    slow metabolism
    sugar and fat = bad

Oh wow! Happy Monday, MFP! :heart:

Are you saying Glycemic Index does't exist?

Or that slow metabolisms don't exist?

I'm honestly curious.

GI doesn't matter for weight loss..it is calories in vs calories out...
    Slow metabolisms exist but are not common and normally it's about eating more than you think

again, in a broad overview, yes, calories/calories out.

but if the person who is trying to lose weight suffers from blood sugar issues, WHAT they eat, is going to be as important for overall well being and how they feel, as how much of it they eat.

That's all I'm saying.

"calories in/calories out" works on a very broad level.

Long term health, and well being, however, varies from individual to individual depending on what choices they make IN those calories.

THis board is awesome at making blanket statements without considering individuals, then tossing out words like "Broscience".

It's entertaining.
  • GEMMA_2014
    Options
    i gave myself permission to eat anything I want with portion control. There is no good or bad food. Only food that you want or do not want to eat.
  • Ctrum69
    Ctrum69 Posts: 308 Member
    Options

It's not a strawman. It's an example of one extreme. The other would be eating nothing but organic vegetables washed in fresh dew. (which would have it's own set of long term health issues).

Yes an extreme that no one here has ever promoted or tried to support. So, if it isn't a strawman it is an appeal to an extreme. Fallacy still exists.

As to your other point about the GI - it is flawed by it's very nature. http://alanaragon.com/glycemic-index

I didn't make a point about GI. That's the other dude who want's to "loose" weight.
  • twixlepennie
    twixlepennie Posts: 1,074 Member
    Options

If the focus is on weight loss no it doesn't matter what you eat as long as you are in a reasonable deficet.

I eat what is considered by some "junk" food and I look great, feel great, I am progressing in my lifts really well as do all of us here who feel food is food and it is niether good nor bad and I have drop 8% bf in 7 months...along with 43lbs.

what you eat has no influence on where the fat goes that is genetics.

As to the car analogy if you are driving a car it doesn't matter if you put regular gas or premium on if that car gets you to point A and back...gas is gas. If however you are driving in a race you want to do more than just put gas in the car you want the oil changed, alignment checked etc...it's the same with the body if you want to lose fat and maintain muscle you get enough protien and fat watch your marcros...

but...this was about losing weight...that's it.

Great that you've lost all that weight.

But still, it's common sence; good food is better for your body than junk food. Period.

If you compare two persons with identically body types, both are eating with the same calorie deficit - one with quality food and one with junk food - and are doing exactly the same exercise; you will see a different in body composition.

Yes - both will loose weight.

No - they won't loose the same amount of weight. Probably will the person that is eating the quality food not loose as many pounds as the one with junk food. How come? Because the one with quality food will get more and better nutritents for the muscles, which will be in a more anabolic state, so that person will save more muscles, or in the best of worlds, add some. And muscles eat fat.

NO - the person loosing weight on a diet based on junk food will NOT have the same lean body composition as the one with quality food.

No - the person loosing weight on a diet based on junk food will probably not loose as much body fat as the person with the quality food diet.

Loosing weight are not the same as loosing fat. That's important to understand. That's why waist measure and Body Fat percentage are way better measurement than looking at the scale.

I've seen a lot of examples of people who has lost weight on a poor diet with junk food. They have been skinny with fat, and lost a lot of muscles.

However, adding junk food as cheat meals now and then, to reward yourself, is good.

Basing a diet on junk food to loose weight, is not that good, even if you loose weight.

That's a hughe difference.

Regarding the Porsche. If you have Porsche with a gasoline engine, you won't fuel it with diesel. You would like to fuel the expensive car with the best gasoline. You would treat your car like your precious. Exactly as you should treat your body.

You don't get "extra credit" for extra nutrients.

But I suspect you are probably a troll anyway.
    Looked at your profile: Just joined up to "help people 'loose' weight" by promoting yourself.
    No listed credentials, no diary entries (or they're private, anyway)

I smell shenanigans.

Yeah, I noticed that too :tongue:

That's because we both eat junk food regularly. It makes you wiser. :laugh:

:laugh:

Eta: Yeah, not worth arguing with a troll :yawn: 95% of people who lose weight will fail at long term success. I'm doing this whole thing in a way that's sustainable for the rest of my life, and will make me part of the 5% that actually succeeds. I may not look like a VS model, but I do look pretty good for a 35 yr old mom of three kids :smile: And most importantly-I'm in the best health of my life and my doctor is very happy with my transformation. Good enough for me!

True, it's not worth arguing, except that he's giving bad advice, AND the fact that he hinted at body shaming you (and others) just p!ssed me off.
    You look FANTASTIC!

:blushing: Thanks!
  • megsmom2
    megsmom2 Posts: 2,362 Member
    Options
    Depends on how you define "junk food". I don't think there are any bad foods...but there are always choices to be made. Most of the time I stick with nutritious choices, but we do go out for fast food occasionally. I don't buy soft drinks, but I do have one at work sometimes--- I like them, and its free. I have chips now and then, but I don't eat the whole bag anymore. Ive developed a taste for green smoothies for breakfast, but sometimes eggs Benedict is perfect. Choices. The trick is in making the right ones most of the time, and in portion control.
  • Nichole71
    Nichole71 Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    I've never had problems losing weight while eating "junk food" like cookies, cake, chips etc as long as it fits within my calorie goal.

However, I do try to have my treats after a good workout while my metabolism is humming. Not sure if it really makes a difference, tho.
  • positivesky
    positivesky Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    I no longer have any sort of fast food - microwavable burgers, KFC/BK/McDonalds, overly processed foods bought from a shop i.e sausage rolls etc! ... I do still eat 'bad' food at weekends such as I will order a burger at a restaurant with chips (or fries in america), I will have chocolate, pasta, and so on! But i try to eat it in moderation and stick to being healthy the other 5 days a week!

I used to lose weight by consuming in-nutritious foods and restricting calories (chocolate, white bread, processed noodles, vending machine items). However, I want to be lean so now I'm trying to only eat junkfood in moderation.
  • claudie08
    claudie08 Posts: 159 Member
    Options
    I had a small McDonalds fry (only 130 calories), stayed within my daily count and still lost weight that week.
  • SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member
    Options

nutrient timing
    GI index
    clean diet
    slow metabolism
    sugar and fat = bad

I'm honestly curious.

GI doesn't matter for weight loss..it is calories in vs calories out...
    Slow metabolisms exist but are not common and normally it's about eating more than you think

again, in a broad overview, yes, calories/calories out.

but if the person who is trying to lose weight suffers from blood sugar issues, WHAT they eat, is going to be as important for overall well being and how they feel, as how much of it they eat.

That's all I'm saying.

"calories in/calories out" works on a very broad level.

Long term health, and well being, however, varies from individual to individual depending on what choices they make IN those calories.

THis board is awesome at making blanket statements without considering individuals, then tossing out words like "Broscience".

It's entertaining.

No what's entertaining is when someone asks a question about weight loss..and everyone asusmes they are talking code for what is the healthiest food for me...when in fact there is no code here...weight loss <> health

calories in vs calories is not broad level that is how you lose weight anything else above and beyond that is not about weight loss it's about health and those two things do not always go together.

and it is incumbent when the question is about weight loss we stick to that because otherwise people get confused and start labeling food bad and go on clean eating tangents and end up failing due to too many restrictions...that part is not funny.
  • DamePiglet
    DamePiglet Posts: 3,730 Member
    Options
    where is jonnythan?? he's usually all over threads like this.
  • TracyJo93
    TracyJo93 Posts: 197 Member
    Options
    I regularly drink beer, eat pizza and chips and cookies, and I still lose weight. Just make sure it fits in to your calories.
  • twixlepennie
    twixlepennie Posts: 1,074 Member
    Options

We need some sort of call signal for him-like what Batman had, but maybe in the shape of a Mcdonalds cheeseburger, instead of a bat :laugh:
  • WendyTerry420
    WendyTerry420 Posts: 13,274 Member
    Options

nutrient timing
    GI index
    clean diet
    slow metabolism
    sugar and fat = bad

I'm honestly curious.

No, I am saying that they are irrelevant to the general population.
  • CarlHelgesson
    Options

If you keep reading, you'll find what I'm saying is FIND YOUR OWN BALANCE.

Too many people push one extreme or the other, without seeing any middle ground.

Amen to that!

You have to individualize your diet after your body type and genetics, your possible diseases, allergies or blood sugar and your life.

Again; I don't say eating junk food now and then are a bad thing, it's the opposite if you are having a decent diet. It's not a bad thing even if you excess your calories, if you have been following a more rigid diet for a while. That will give your metabolism a kick!

I just don't believe in having to much of it, and I also believe that a clean (eating chicken, fish, meat, turkey, vegetables, low GI carbs or choosing fast carbs around training) is a better way.

Some of you seem to diet on whatever you want to eat, just as ju stay within your set calories. And thats fantastic for you! I am honestly happy for you. But all people can't - or will.

Just accept that there is different ways to loose weight. I believe the way I push for will lead to a better result. Because I believe that the body will respond better if you are giving it more quality food than the opposite. I believe that the, muscles, organs, body functions and the hormones will feel better with (mostly) qualityy food.

Some of you doesn't agree. And that's fine with me.

Some of you push for other type of diets, and that's fine for me too.

In the end of the day it's up to each and everybody to choose their way. And I think it's good to give some perspective on things.
    As I said, it's not black or white. You can choose different roads to your goals.

As long everybody is happy with their result and bodies - lovely!

We have to be able to discuss with each other in a reasonable way - otherwise there is'nt a reason for a community like this.
  • tedrickp
    tedrickp Posts: 1,229 Member
    Options

I didn't make a point about GI. That's the other dude who want's to "loose" weight.

I apologize, my mistake!
  • DamePiglet
    DamePiglet Posts: 3,730 Member
    Options

If you keep reading, you'll find what I'm saying is FIND YOUR OWN BALANCE.

Too many people push one extreme or the other, without seeing any middle ground.

Amen to that!

You have to individualize your diet after your body type and genetics, your possible diseases, allergies or blood sugar and your life.

Again; I don't say eating junk food now and then are a bad thing, it's the opposite if you are having a decent diet. It's not a bad thing even if you excess your calories, if you have been following a more rigid diet for a while. That will give your metabolism a kick!

I just don't believe in having to much of it, and I also believe that a clean (eating chicken, fish, meat, turkey, vegetables, low GI carbs or choosing fast carbs around training) is a better way.

Some of you seem to diet on whatever you want to eat, just as ju stay within your set calories. And thats fantastic for you! I am honestly happy for you. But all people can't - or will.

Just accept that there is different ways to loose weight. I believe the way I push for will lead to a better result. Because I believe that the body will respond better if you are giving it more quality food than the opposite. I believe that the, muscles, organs, body functions and the hormones will feel better with (mostly) qualityy food.

Some of you doesn't agree. And that's fine with me.

Some of you push for other type of diets, and that's fine for me too.

In the end of the day it's up to each and everybody to choose their way. And I think it's good to give some perspective on things.
    As I said, it's not black or white. You can choose different roads to your goals.

As long everybody is happy with their result and bodies - lovely!

We have to be able to discuss with each other in a reasonable way - otherwise there is'nt a reason for a community like this.

1. Your first post was of a different tone than this one.
    2. No one has even argued that nutrients are important for health.
    3. You said that YOUR way (as defined in your first couple of posts - stating that "treats" are only for rare occasions) - is the way for a GREAT body, as opposed to OUR way, that results in a GOOD body. That's simply not true.
    Barring health issues, people can eat a "treat" daily and have a GREAT body.

No one was as judgemental as you.

Here's a flower so I can seem like I'm nice. :flowerforyou:

edited to correct punctuation a little.
  • SugaryLynx
    SugaryLynx Posts: 2,640 Member
    Options

We need some sort of call signal for him-like what Batman had, but maybe in the shape of a Mcdonalds cheeseburger, instead of a bat :laugh:

Bahaha yes! Holy cheese and crackers jonnythan, it's the hamburger alert! ... On second thought that's surprisingly close to the hamburglar, he needs a superhero name
  • Marymoe138
    Marymoe138 Posts: 68 Member
    Options
    I ate a fair bit of junk food when losing weight. The trick is to burn off the extra calories when necessary via exercise.

Definitely this. I am in love with the Giant Chewy Sweetarts. I could probably eat 3 or 4 in at least one sitting. I definitely try to get in a great workout early during the day and maybe a walk in the evenings if I know that I am going to truly indulge!