US Food Policy: If you could change one thing...

Options

Replies

• PaleoPath4Lyfe
    PaleoPath4Lyfe Posts: 3,161 Member
    Options
    most of that food is NOT fresh cooked, but rather warmed up from its frozen state. She has said about the only things that are actually cooked are steaks, burgers and some chicken. Its not cooked from scratch in the kitchens of those restaurants.

I would never have known this if you hadn't told me.

Next you're going to tell me Olive Garden doesn't make its desserts fresh on-site or that some restaurants buy their desserts from bakeries instead of making them in their own kitchens.

The horror!

If I am paying money to someone else to cook the dinner I am going to eat, I want it cooked. Not re-heated stuff from a freezer to the microwave or deep fryer to my plate.

If I wanted to eat like that I wouldn't go to a restaurant, but would go the grocery store and buy that crap and microwave or throw it in the oven myself.

I want food that was prepared from start to finish in the kitchen. Not pre-made in a factory some where and then shipped to a warehouse until the restaurant decides to place an order for that crap.
  • BrainyBurro
    BrainyBurro Posts: 6,129 Member
    Options
    most of that food is NOT fresh cooked, but rather warmed up from its frozen state. She has said about the only things that are actually cooked are steaks, burgers and some chicken. Its not cooked from scratch in the kitchens of those restaurants.

Next you're going to tell me Olive Garden doesn't make its desserts fresh on-site or that some restaurants buy their desserts from bakeries instead of making them in their own kitchens.

The horror!

If I am paying money to someone else to cook the dinner I am going to eat, I want it cooked. Not re-heated stuff from a freezer to the microwave or deep fryer to my plate.

If I wanted to eat like that I wouldn't go to a restaurant, but would go the grocery store and buy that crap and microwave or throw it in the oven myself.

I want food that was prepared from start to finish in the kitchen. Not pre-made in a factory some where and then shipped to a warehouse until the restaurant decides to place an order for that crap.

then go to a restaurant where entrees cost more than $6.99.
  • rml_16
    rml_16 Posts: 16,414 Member
    Options

The horror!

It is widely known that this is what's happening in major chain restaurants. As the Burro suggested, don't go to those restaurants if you want fresh-cooked meals.

See how easy that is?

ETA -- It is done this way in chains to ensure the food tastes the same at the Applebee's somewhere in Florida as it does in the Applebee's somewhere in Wyoming.
  • Cathi888
    Cathi888 Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    Reopen slaughter houses for horses and let the needy have some protein. If they are really hungry, they will eat it. They have come around to eating venison.

Venison and horse meat are vastly, vastly different. Venison, raised or hunted, are not routinely fed an excessive amount of substances banned in meat for human consumption the way that horses are.

Huh. I will have to tell my animals that. I am sure the cows will be pissed that the horses are getting something out of the same feed that they aren't.
  • rml_16
    Options
    let the needy have some protein

You think the needy aren't getting meat? Go work as a grocery store cashier in an area with high food stamp usage. The needy are getting plenty of protein without eating horses.
  • No_Finish_Line
    No_Finish_Line Posts: 3,662 Member
    Options
    Require all restaurants to post nutritional information on their menus.

i like this. i'd also like to see GI ranges on food labels.
  • No_Finish_Line
    No_Finish_Line Posts: 3,662 Member
    Options

You think the needy aren't getting meat? Go work as a grocery store cashier in an area with high food stamp usage. The needy are getting plenty of protein without eating horses.

not to mention cigarettes, beer, lotto tickets, illegal drugs and anything else you can buy with cash from your EBT card that works in any ATM
  • sillyvalentine
    sillyvalentine Posts: 460 Member
    Options
    Invest funds to creating Star Trek inspired food replicators. World hunger problem solved.

KlingonFoodInReplicator.jpg

If you're going to dream, dream big.

x4nra.jpg
  • rml_16
    Options

not to mention cigarettes, beer, lotto tickets, illegal drugs and anything else you can buy with cash from your EBT card that works in any ATM
    They still had the paper when I worked there. It was in NY, so they'd buy a lot of soda. There's a 5 cent deposit on the cans and bottles that they didn't have to pay when they used food stamps, but they could bring the bottles back and redeem them for the deposit they didn't pay. People would redeem hundreds of dollars worth to get the cash.
  • WendyTerry420
    WendyTerry420 Posts: 13,274 Member
    Options
    More honest labeling with ingredients. The only objectiion to the "it's just personal responsiblity" arguments I have is that not everyone has the resources to be knowledgeable about health, afford better brands, or resources to engage in being "more informed." I'm talking about the working class who have to buy TV dinners or other cheap foods to get by. They have no choice in what they buy as food because the only food they can buy are the cheap brands. Yet those brands contain terrrible ingredients, bad nutrition, etc. Sure, it's food, but we end up with a society where the poor are malnurished, and the middle class or wealthy have access and resources to healthier and more sustainable sources of food. If that sits well with you, then ok. But to me, I feel like there needs to be a little bit more regulation regarding ingredients other than just the labeling--perhaps banning certain chemicals, additives, perservatives, and GMO's we don't know are completely safe. (Keep in mind, just because they haven't been confirmed to NOT be safe, some also haven't been confirmed TO BE safe).

But I don't know, this could bring about unintended consequences as well. It's an interesting discussion.

"Brands" have nothing to do with nutrition. And as a member of the class of working poor, I find it hilarious to make the claim that Americans can not access nutrition information. That is laughable. it's also silly to claim that poor people "have to buy TV dinners." TV dinners are actually too expensive if you have a food budget of $80/week for a family of four, like I do.

I appreciate your kind empathy, but it's simply not true.

Ok, I apologize. I am not a member of the working class, so I can't claim to understand that reality. And yes, "brands" and types of products have a lot to do with nutrition. Amy's company, for example, has whole organic food ingredients, prodivding you with more adequate nutrition. Other companies with similar products are cheaper, but they contain chemicals and other non-foods that haven't been proven to be safe (nor unsafe, like I said before). What I'm saying that we should go beyond honest labeling.

As far as TV dinners, I accept that was a completely incorrect and probably ignorant statement. Again, I don't know that reality, so I can't claim to know. But I do know that buying whole foods it's typically more expensive than buying processed foods. I know many who would love to buy organic whole foods, but it is not within there means. Sometimes it isn't even in mine, depending on the month. So I suppose I was making a generalized blanketed uneducated statement, and for that I apologize.

When I mentioned resources, I didn't mean the access to nutrition information, I meant the access to information/research regarding ingredients and nutriton label reading. Sometimes it requires interenet usage, which many actually do not have. Everyone thinks that "Oh, America, we all have the SAME opportunities and the SAME access to information..." No...those of us with internet access, despite our backgrounds, are actually more privileged than those who don't.

Again I'm not trying to pretend like I understand your situation. I'm also not trying to be any type of "savior." I just think banning certain things that have not been proven to be safe or healthy for the body is probable, and that "personal responsibility" doesn't apply to everyone.

I could be wrong, though, as I said. I could be completely off.

Food is food. When I go to the store, I buy food. I buy meat from "the meat department," and I put produce in the bag, weigh it, then put it in my cart. Virtually *nothing* I buy has any brand name on it. I typically purchase "one ingredient" foods, as in, stuff that is not advertised on TV. That is the main reason that it is cheaper than TV dinners or other foods that are associated by branding. Branding carries a marketing expense that is included in cost of of goods sold, ergo, in the price.

The internet is actually *free* for someone who is not determined to access it at high speeds of data transfer, and it's everywhere at broadband speed for anyone who lives in an urban area.

As far as bans, I only believe in a ban on banning things. No one has the right to tell me what I can or can't it put in my own body. My body. My choice.
  • LRoslin
    LRoslin Posts: 128
    Options

Yup, accurate ones too.

So much this. Regardless of chain or not. They know what they're putting in it shouldn't be that hard. And let's be honest, if they had to start reporting calorie counts and sodium content a lot of places would stop the abuse of butter and salt in their recipes.
    The reason it's only required for chain restaurants is because it's expensive to have the testing done to determine the calorie count, and that could seriously shut down smaller mom and pop restaurants.

Couldn't they just add up the values of the ingredients?

Someone has to test it and make sure they're not lying. Plus, they have to follow standards and you, as a consumer, have to be sure that if something says it's 600 calories, it is not 1500. It could be a health hazard if you rely on that. For instance, just to be silly about it, let's say on your menu, one of your dishes says "does not contain nuts", but you cook the meal in a pan the just cooked a meal with nuts, and because you have a severe allergy to nuts, you die.

So, these agencies, or whatever, have to inspect the standards and make sure you follow your recipes and that a 500 calorie meal us in fact, a 500 calories meal, or thereabouts, and that the contents and ingredients are accurate.

On the surface, it seems simple, but it's the monitoring and ensuring that makes it hard and expensive.

And, then, what do you do if someone is out of compliance? Fine them? Close them down? I mean, what's the crime?

See, it's complicated. Remember, people with allergies and diseases might depend on the labeling for more than just calories. It's gets difficult to navigate.

And considering how food prices are going up, not down, all this regulation would just make food more expensive. Lose/lose proposition.

But if we're dreaming, I'd say cut the level of sodium in processed foods and restaurant dishes, and get started on those food replicators. Come on, it's the 21st century.
  • Greytfish
    Options
    The internet is actually *free* for someone who is not determined to access it at high speeds of data transfer, and it's everywhere at broadband speed for anyone who lives in an urban area.

Not to quibble, but you're overlooking that someone needs a device in order to access the internet, and lots of the working poor do not have those devices. As budget cuts have deepened in communities, lots of libraries that provided free access and a device to do so are closed or have drastically limited hours. It's quite a problem for lots of working class folks looking for work, or looking for more/better work.
  • TR0berts
    TR0berts Posts: 7,739 Member
    Options

Yup, accurate ones too.

So much this. Regardless of chain or not. They know what they're putting in it shouldn't be that hard. And let's be honest, if they had to start reporting calorie counts and sodium content a lot of places would stop the abuse of butter and salt in their recipes.
    The reason it's only required for chain restaurants is because it's expensive to have the testing done to determine the calorie count, and that could seriously shut down smaller mom and pop restaurants.

Couldn't they just add up the values of the ingredients?

Sort of, but... Many times at the mom & pop restaurants, they work with a base recipe and adjust as needed - especially when it comes to specials. Make some, taste, realize it needs something - more salt, let's say - add some salt. Re-taste and find that it needs something else - more cream/milk/butter, let's say - now the nutritional values are incorrect. Not to mention if/when you run out of the ingredients your supplier brings (which is what your values are based upon) and you have to get something from the local store - and they don't have exactly what your recipe calls for, so you have to make adjustments to make it work. It happens quite a bit.
  • TR0berts
    TR0berts Posts: 7,739 Member
    Options
    My sister is a fantastic restaurant manager and actually when she went to work at a different restaurant many of the employees also requested to go that restaurant or quit all together.

They don't cook most of the food. Its re-heated crap. This is why we rarely eat out any more.

There are plenty of people that work in the restaurant industry that corroborates what she is the rest of us family members also.

A good manager of people (or a manager that lets the employees get away with whatever they want) is not the same as a good business manager. Meaning: just because some of the employees wanted to work for her, doesn't mean she has any business managing a restaurant - especially if she's using canned/frozen goods, vice fresh.

You do realize, that as manager, she is the one that should be making those decisions, right? The chef tells her what (s)he needs for ingredients, and the manager procures the items. If she's just managing chain restaurants, it's different, as corporate decides those things. But, then again, I'm pretty sure most people know that chain restaurants don't (always) use fresh foods.
  • KristinaB83
    KristinaB83 Posts: 440 Member
    Options
    Invest funds to creating Star Trek inspired food replicators. World hunger problem solved.

KlingonFoodInReplicator.jpg

If you're going to dream, dream big.

Ha! Totally this.
  • 424a57
    424a57 Posts: 140 Member
    Options
    That's silly and Russia just rounded up stray dogs in sochi and killed them, should we do that as well?
    Yes.
  • rml_16
    Options
    My sister is a fantastic restaurant manager and actually when she went to work at a different restaurant many of the employees also requested to go that restaurant or quit all together.

They don't cook most of the food. Its re-heated crap. This is why we rarely eat out any more.

There are plenty of people that work in the restaurant industry that corroborates what she is the rest of us family members also.

A good manager of people (or a manager that lets the employees get away with whatever they want) is not the same as a good business manager. Meaning: just because some of the employees wanted to work for her, doesn't mean she has any business managing a restaurant - especially if she's using canned/frozen goods, vice fresh.

You do realize, that as manager, she is the one that should be making those decisions, right? The chef tells her what (s)he needs for ingredients, and the manager procures the items. If she's just managing chain restaurants, it's different, as corporate decides those things. But, then again, I'm pretty sure most people know that chain restaurants don't (always) use fresh foods.
    I think her sister works for chain/franchise restaurants. The cooks and managers don't have that discretion because the food has to be uniform in every location. That's why they use frozen, pre-measured, pre-seasoned foods in those places.

I have worked in local restaurants and I promise those places do not use frozen and canned foods the way she's describing. They cook from scratch.
  • PaleoPath4Lyfe
    PaleoPath4Lyfe Posts: 3,161 Member
    Options

The horror!

then go to a restaurant where entrees cost more than $6.99.

I do. I don't eat chain restaurants at all. We frequent only LOCAL restaurants for casual or upscale dining. However, there are many people in this country that aren't aware that the MAJORITY (I have never said all) of the restaurants serve them food that is no where near being cooked. It's merely reheated.

That is safe to say because the MAJORITY of all restaurants in this country are all chain restaurants of some sort.
  • Acg67
    Acg67 Posts: 12,142 Member
    Options
    Less nannystatism, more personal responsibility

Could you give specifics?

See the former mayor Bloomberg's food policies, the current talk of banning trans fats, mandatory labeling of calorie counts at places with 20+ locations etc etc
  • Chellellelle
    Chellellelle Posts: 595 Member
    Options
    I actually just mentioned this on Twitter, I would love it if ALL bottled drinks were required to print the amount of ounces for like, 1/4 of a bottle, 1/2 a bottle, etc on the side so that people could properly distinguish 1 serving. Most bottles are 2 or 2.5 servings, so knowing when to stop drinking it would be nice!