C25K for super overweight folks

Options
2»

Replies

• Just_Ceci
    Just_Ceci Posts: 5,926 Member
    Options
    SHOES !!! It makes a huge difference. And not just getting shoes, go to a running specific store and have a run analysis done. They will be able to help you find shoes to correct most running issues that will affect you.

And also second the slow down part....speed will come with time and better fitness.

ETA..check out the C25K discussion group here on the MFP site..tons of excellent advice and tips as well as support.

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/groups/home/30-couch-to-5k-running-program-c25k

Very supportive group!
  • DJ478
    DJ478 Posts: 909 Member
    Options
    I just did week 1 day 1 of C25K today. I'm doing mine indoors but i do not owe a treadmill. I just walk/run in place.

How's that working for you I want to give it a try too but have no gym access or treadmill and prefer something like this that I can do at home
  • jenniferevon
    Options
    Like many others have said, go very slow. If you can't run for 60 seconds, then run as far as you can and walk. You have to give your body time to get used to it. Your muscles, joints and ligaments aren't used to this yet and you need to try to prevent injury! You're going to do great, just don't ever give up!
  • RillaMonsoon
    RillaMonsoon Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    I am on Week 3. Finished Day 1 this morning. I am a 6' 320 lbs man (started c25k at 335). All I can say, is 1) find good shoes. 2) get knee or ankle braces if you need them, they help 3) don't quit.

I challenge myself on the treadmill and alternate between 6 MPH and 7 MPH. I walk at 3.2 MPH.

My first session I ran at 3 MPH. It gets better and you get stronger.

Get some music, don't look at the clock and push, push, push.

One of the things I do, is I don't allow myself anything it drink until I hear the "You are halfway" message. Then every its a countdown to being successful.

I hate running, but this program has been great for me.

One more piece of advice, get a hear monitor, if you are larger you will probably see taht you burn more calories than MFP gives credit for.

Good luck!
  • mheebner
    mheebner Posts: 285 Member
    Options
    As someone who has been sidelined twice with major shin splints here is the advice I can offer you.
    1. IMHO the most important thing you can do when you start running is go to a running shoe store and get a run analysis done . you need to find out if you over/under pronate, heel strike, etc. Get shoes that fits how you run.
    2. download a C25K app and follow it ! You will be tempted at some point to do more than you should....dont. excessive distance and speed before you're ready can cause injury quickly.
    3. Focus on form. spend the first few sessions noticing how straight/bent your back is. Learn to land mid foot, dont make tight fists, etc. try and find your 'groove'
    4. Stretch after your run. Later that day ice down your shins, calves. 10 min cold, 10 min no cold for 30 min total.

I have made all of the mistakes one could make starting running, but kept with it. I wish i had asked for advice in the first place and saved myself a lot of problems. And if you finish the 9 week program in 10 or 11 or even 12 weeks..so what ? With injury and then recovery, and having to re-do weeks it took me almost 14 weeks to complete my C25K, and then another month of regular running before I could get to 5K......but stick with it and you WILL get there !!
  • DrWhoodles
    DrWhoodles Posts: 145 Member
    Options
    I'm currently working on the Couch to Not Couch program - later I'll focus on C25K. Sounds like a lot of great advice here, love this place!

About all I can say beyond good shoes is good socks - your feet will be happier with nice socks that handle moisture well.
  • Napier_mum
    Napier_mum Posts: 88 Member
    Options
    Another vote for the importance of good shoes. Also clothes that hold in the wobbly bits and won't chafe. For me I went from actually doing very little into the c25k and my knees just couldn't take it (I was 270ish at the time) I was a bit silly and was running laps around the house while my baby was having his nap so some of the knee thing was likely because I was turning corners so much!

I am about to start again but in the lead up I have increased my walking a lot to build up my leg muscles to hopefully keep my knees a bit happier this time! I figure if I can walk 2 hours at a time I should be able to manage the running part ok.

When I first started my running was slower than my walking but I actually didn't find it that hard. A good workout but I didn't feel like I was going to die and I think it was just because I was keeping my running nice and slow.

Good luck!
  • bridgieNZ
    bridgieNZ Posts: 113 Member
    Options
    Hello, im 118 kg (260lb) I have been trying to build up my fitness for a little while but have never been able to run even when I was a kid, Ive always wanted to be able to so decided to try this.

On my first day…oh boy those 60 seconds are tough and that 90 goes awfully quick, but I was determined to stick it out for the full 60sec and sometimes that was a challenge, Like others have said try not to run too hard allow your body to gain strength. Wish I had read this 2 weeks ago!

I did mine on the treadmill at the gym and its summer here so I’m literally a hot mess at the end, standing next to all the fit gym bunnies! and im breathing hard.

After that first day I decided I would do each week twice I don’t care if it takes me twice as long if I can run/jog 5k by then end I’ll be thrilled. Im now on my second go of week 1, interestingly I’m finding my regular walking is just that little bit easier or maybe it just seems so much easier by comparison. :happy:

Best of luck
  • pariskathryn
    pariskathryn Posts: 173 Member
    Options
    I read a lot of these so some of my advice is just seconding and third-ing others, but here's my advice!

1. Eat something with good carbs and some protein 1-1.5 hours ahead of time. If it's a morning run, at least have a banana beforehand-- but my typical pre-workout snack is whole wheat bread with a nut butter and half of a cut up banana.

2. Eat something again when you finish within a half hour-- again, good protein and carbs. There's a lot of sites that have recommendations!

3. SLOW slow slow. Sometimes I run even slower than I walk. There are certain days, like the end of week 4, where I was going much faster than usual and I didn't even mean to. The speed will come, focus first on getting through the time.

4. Get an armband for your mp3 player or phone! Being able to listen to songs that pump me up has changed my exercise routine, and it flies by. It also is so nice to have it on an armband because I just don't worry about it flying out of my pockets or anything.

5. Hydrate all the time. Really, if you can stand it, try to drink mostly water and cut out the sodas and stuff. If you're generally well-hydrated, it'll make a huge difference in your runs. Still drink shortly before your run, but your body wont be starving for water if you drink a lot of it anyway.

6. You can get away with whatever shoes at first, but once you're into week 5 you really need some decent running shoes. I went to a local store where they watched me run on a treadmill and found THE PERFECT shoe for me. I love my running shoes and they, like music, totally changed my exercise routine.

7. Stretch before and after your run-- but only lightly! If you over-stretch you could injure yourself, but if you don't stretch at all you could hurt your foot, too. Just do some leg stretches for a couple minutes before you go.

8. FORM is really important and can make what would have been a crappy run an okay run.
    -Keep your head up and your gaze facing the horizon or the ground a couple yards ahead of you. Relax your face. I have to remind myself of this a lot because my jaw clenches up when I run, so try shakin yr face out every once in a while if you need to.
    -Your shoulders should be relaxed, not hunched or rounded. Shake them out every once in a while.
    -Keep your arms in a ~90 degree angle, at your sides. Don't swing them in front of you, but swing them at your sides in the 90 degree angle. Shake them out when you run longer distances because muscle tension can build up.
    -Keep your hands in relaxed fists. Someone once told me to pretend I had an egg in my fists-- don't crush it or let it drop! That'd be nasty!
    -Lean your torso forward a lil bit, just a lil bit. I do this naturally and have never had an issue with it.
    -Especially for c25k, knees do not have to lift very high. The slower you're going, the lower your knees will come up
    -LAND ON THE MIDDLE OF YOUR FOOT. Not your toes, not your heel! You want to land directly beneath your body, and doing so will reduce the chance of getting injured as well as expending excess energy. Running of the front of your feet/toes is more for short distance but fast running (can cause overextension of the leg and it just aint economical, energy-wise, for a distance run), and running off of your heels kind of slows you down like a stopper.

9. Leave a rest day between runs. You can get burnt out really fast or injured if you don't (like me!). and you shouldn't be increasing your mileage by more than 10-20% a week (an arbitrary number but I think it's a good rule of thumb for new runners). C25K is made for those of us who were on the couch at first, and you can train harder when you're done with the program!

10. If you're running on a track or around a block or around your house, change up your direction often. You can really hurt your legs by doing the same corners. I run in the opposite direction of the last time I ran every time I run.

11. Running socks!!!!

That's my advice! Eating and drinking properly, listenin to music and watching my form has made running really fun for me!
  • jlar09
    jlar09 Posts: 99
    Options
    I LOVE C25K. I signed up for a 5K at the beginning of May and started training like December 29th or something like that. I've been doing the program for five or six weeks now, but I am currently running week 3. Like everyone else said, go slow! I run the same path every time and I like to measure how much farther I am running, but I don't ever push myself to go extremely fast. I also will only progress to the next week when I feel like I have a good handle on the week I am currently running, and the next week seems like a challenge, but not impossible.

Good luck!! I really, really like the program thus far.
  • spikrgrl503
    spikrgrl503 Posts: 247 Member
    Options
    I was not terribly overweight but I couldn't even run for a minute without stopping. I finished the C25K and now I'm on week 10 of the C210K. My advice:

-Get the free app that tells you when to start and when to stop. I find that looking at the time constantly makes it go by SO SLOW.
    -Do not skimp out on the 5 min walk before and after. I walk about 20 minutes after to prevent being sore. I also stretch after.
    -I prefer running outside (more distractions) but try to find somewhere flat haha.
    -Don't look ahead. I had one week where I totally freaked out and balked because I didn't think I could do it. I could do it, no problem. But I was SO psyched out.
    -Don't be afraid to repeat days that were hard.
    -I 1000% agree, go slow slow slow
    -Get a good pair of shoes. I felt bad not running because I spent money on these kickass shoes haha

I believe in you! I never ever thought I could run.
  • QueenyLanae
    QueenyLanae Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    I just did week 1 day 1 of C25K today. I'm doing mine indoors but i do not owe a treadmill. I just walk/run in place.

How's that working for you I want to give it a try too but have no gym access or treadmill and prefer something like this that I can do at home

I built up a little bit of a sweat and I still feel it in my calves. So I'd say it worked pretty good. I did to upbeat music. It felt similar to Leslie Sansone's Walk Away the Pounds without the dvd.