Junk Food and losing weight?

Options
1235»

Replies

• WendyTerry420
    WendyTerry420 Posts: 13,274 Member
    Options
    I ate a fair bit of junk food when losing weight. The trick is to burn off the extra calories when necessary via exercise.

Definitely this. I am in love with the Giant Chewy Sweetarts. I could probably eat 3 or 4 in at least one sitting. I definitely try to get in a great workout early during the day and maybe a walk in the evenings if I know that I am going to truly indulge!

Giant Chewy Sweetarts are not junk! :angry:
  • DamePiglet
    DamePiglet Posts: 3,730 Member
    Options
    where is jonnythan?? he's usually all over threads like this.

We need some sort of call signal for him-like what Batman had, but maybe in the shape of a Mcdonalds cheeseburger, instead of a bat :laugh:

Bahaha yes! Holy cheese and crackers jonnythan, it's the hamburger alert! ... On second thought that's surprisingly close to the hamburglar, he needs a superhero name

whattaya think?
    K7txspjl.jpg
  • SKME2013
    SKME2013 Posts: 704 Member
    Options
    I am not sure I understand this heated argument?

Healthy food is better for you than junk food, isn't it? You can lose weight while eating both, but probably for your health it would be better if you cut out junk as much as possible. Your body needs certain nutrients and it will get those easier by eating healthy.

Isn't that logical and proven over and over in scientific research? The Calorie Myth is an excellent book based on research that clearly argues "calories are not calories and there are good calories and bad ones".

On another more personal point: I am close to maintenance weight and I strongly believe that it will be easier for me to keep my weight if I eat healthier as if I eat pasta, pizza and burgers. Junk food tend to end up in sugar spikes that wake up MY cravings.

We all need to find our own way and if junk food works for you, than "happy munching!"

Stef.
  • Ctrum69
    Ctrum69 Posts: 308 Member
    Options

Healthy food is better for you than junk food, isn't it? You can lose weight while eating both, but probably for your health it would be better if you cut out junk as much as possible. Your body needs certain nutrients and it will get those easier by eating healthy.

Isn't that logical and proven over and over in scientific research? The Calorie Myth is an excellent book based on research that clearly argues "calories are not calories and there are good calories and bad ones".

On another more personal point: I am close to maintenance weight and I strongly believe that it will be easier for me to keep my weight if I eat healthier as if I eat pasta, pizza and burgers. Junk food tend to end up in sugar spikes that wake up MY cravings.

We all need to find our own way and if junk food works for you, than "happy munching!"

Stef.

I think where you are going to run into opposition, is there's no reason a pizza, or a burger, or pasta has to be "unhealthy"

There are obviously, less healthy versions of those, and more healthy versions.

But saying "a burger is unhealthy" is not true.

Eating a burger now and then as a protein source, won't do you any damage. Eating nothing but double quarter pounders? You are going to have long term issues.

Balance and dietary completeness is the goal to shoot for. "eat no junk food" is just as specious as "eat whatever you want", and without definitions, just as useless.
  • DamePiglet
    DamePiglet Posts: 3,730 Member
    Options

Stef.

I think where you are going to run into opposition, is there's no reason a pizza, or a burger, or pasta has to be "unhealthy"

There are obviously, less healthy versions of those, and more healthy versions.

But saying "a burger is unhealthy" is not true.

Eating a burger now and then as a protein source, won't do you any damage. Eating nothing but double quarter pounders? You are going to have long term issues.

Balance and dietary completeness is the goal to shoot for. "eat no junk food" is just as specious as "eat whatever you want", and without definitions, just as useless.

true.

Actually, what often fits my dietary needs very well at the end of the day is a McDonald's cheeseburger. Protein, fats, carbs, even some sodium. Why call it "bad" if it's the very piece that fits in the puzzle?
  • Ctrum69
    Ctrum69 Posts: 308 Member
    Options
    Oh, because of crap like "supersize me" and that ridiculously "THEY DON'T EVER GO BAD" nonsense on the internets.

Water. In moderation, great. Too much? Bad. Possibly deadly, in fact.

Cyanide: Typically bad, but you can eat trace amounts daily and not have it kill you, that doesn't make it "good for you".

ALl things in moderation, and moderation in all things.
  • Marymoe138
    Marymoe138 Posts: 68 Member
    Options
    I ate a fair bit of junk food when losing weight. The trick is to burn off the extra calories when necessary via exercise.

Definitely this. I am in love with the Giant Chewy Sweetarts. I could probably eat 3 or 4 in at least one sitting. I definitely try to get in a great workout early during the day and maybe a walk in the evenings if I know that I am going to truly indulge!

I simply listed an item of food that I love ( the same as others who specifically listed similar items to what I listed which is candy) that can have a high number of calories if not eaten in moderation (as I obviously did not before thus the reason I am here today.. ie 4 packs a day everyday with no calorie deficit or exercise on top of everything else I ate ) and to offset those days I indulge I add exercise. The same quote I used and general concept that I stated that works for me above ( exercise) stands.
  • twixlepennie
    twixlepennie Posts: 1,074 Member
    Options
    where is jonnythan?? he's usually all over threads like this.

We need some sort of call signal for him-like what Batman had, but maybe in the shape of a Mcdonalds cheeseburger, instead of a bat :laugh:

Bahaha yes! Holy cheese and crackers jonnythan, it's the hamburger alert! ... On second thought that's surprisingly close to the hamburglar, he needs a superhero name

whattaya think?
    K7txspjl.jpg

Perfect :laugh:
  • WendyTerry420
    WendyTerry420 Posts: 13,274 Member
    Options

I simply listed an item of food that I love ( the same as others who specifically listed similar items to what I listed which is candy) that can have a high number of calories if not eaten in moderation (as I obviously did not before thus the reason I am here today.. ie 4 packs a day everyday with no calorie deficit or exercise on top of everything else I ate ) and to offset those days I indulge I add exercise. The same quote I used and general concept that I stated that works for me above ( exercise) stands.

Right. Overeating causes obesity to be sure, but Giant Chewy Sweetarts are yummy food, not junk.

food =/= "junk"

:flowerforyou:
  • Marymoe138
    Marymoe138 Posts: 68 Member
    Options

Right. Overeating causes obesity to be sure, but Giant Chewy Sweetarts are yummy food, not junk.

food =/= "junk"

:flowerforyou:

Ahaha, definitely yummy!:wink:
  • nomorebingesgirl2014
    nomorebingesgirl2014 Posts: 378 Member
    Options
    Bump
  • maidentl
    maidentl Posts: 3,203 Member
    Options
    Bump

The drive-by bumper strikes again. :grumble: