How long until you saw improvement in your running?

13»

Replies

• benefiting
    benefiting Posts: 795 Member
    The first week of c25k is 1 min run, 1 min walk so are you sure you are doing the first week?

I have recently started c25k, and due to health issues it is taking me much longer than the 9 weeks. But when i started running, I struggled to run for 30 secs, and this week, I am running for 3 mins and 5 mins with walking intervals.

The thing that helped me the most was slowing my pace right down on all the runs in a session, not just the longer ones. Then, as i repeat the sessions, I gradually find my pace gets faster. Then, as i start the next stage, I slow right down again.

It's actually 1 minute of running and 1 minute and 30 seconds of walking and I'm sure that I'm doing week 1. Yeah, everyone has confirmed I need to go slower. :P
  • benefiting
    benefiting Posts: 795 Member
    I rather stick with water. I don't believe in drinking sports drinks but thanks for the advice. :)

Sports Drink captures a pretty broad range of options, and whilst I'd agree that you're unlikely to need it there are some options that may help if you are already dehydrated.

Where you are justnow the only thing that may benefit is a salt replacement.

When I started C25K I was carrying water and drinking about 500ml during the session, now I'm more conditioned to running I generally don't carry at all for up to 60 minutes. For a 40-60 minute run I'll drink a 500ml bottle with a High5 mineral tablet dissolved in it. Above 60 minutes I'll have that and a protein recovery drink.

All that is merely my experience, and my training is somewhat different at the moment.

I literally was just looking at protein powder but it is way to high in price!
  • sashanicole88
    sashanicole88 Posts: 180 Member
    I was thinking the same thing....I'm also doing Couch to 5k! I'm on the 4th week and tried transitioning from the treadmill to an outside track. It was so much more difficult!
  • I was thinking the same thing....I'm also doing Couch to 5k! I'm on the 4th week and tried transitioning from the treadmill to an outside track. It was so much more difficult!

Try running at s lower pace when you run outdoors. Also, focus on breathing in through your nose and out your mouth.

Oh, and protein shakes are only pricey if you buy them RTD or at an actual store. Most of them can be ordered online for about half the retail price (which is also why they are so expensive in stores - wharehouse space is cheaper). If you don't know whetehr you will like one and just want to try some, go to your local GNC and ask them if they will give you or sell you a sample of a few to try.
  • likitisplit
    likitisplit Posts: 9,420 Member
    I was thinking the same thing....I'm also doing Couch to 5k! I'm on the 4th week and tried transitioning from the treadmill to an outside track. It was so much more difficult!

Transitioning either way is hard. You need to back off both mileage and speed for a week and then add back on - you might want to go back to week 3. I'd suggest intervals, but you're already doing them as a part of C25k.
  • kshadows
    kshadows Posts: 1,315 Member
    I didn't take the time to read all the responses but within a little while (week or two) I felt like it got easier.

I started in September and finished weeks 1-5 before it got cold out and I gave up. 2 weeks ago I decided I missed running so much I was going to go again, so I started over at week 1 day 1. It seriously felt ridiculously simple, and when I compared my times from September, I was AMAZED. My average pace on w1d1 in Sept was 12:48. January it was 10:02. My distance in Sept was 1.78 miles, distance in Jan was 2.12 miles (I do the timed version).

I did day 2 the other day and will do day 3 tonight. As easy as it seems, I feel like I need to go through it all again to build up for the longer distances but I'm seriously awed at how easy it was and how much better I've done. Stick with it!!
  • Roadie2000
    Roadie2000 Posts: 1,801 Member
    What worked best for me was running 3-4 times a week and doing some other low impact cardio on my non-running days. I've heard some people say that strength training can help you become a better runner but it didn't seem to do much for me.
  • What worked best for me was running 3-4 times a week and doing some other low impact cardio on my non-running days. I've heard some people say that strength training can help you become a better runner but it didn't seem to do much for me.

Strength trianing doesn't really improve running ability or speed. What it does is make you generally healthier and less injury prone by strengthening your bonesand connective tissues and lessening the inevitable anemic and hormone suppressing properties of distance running.
  • MeanderingMammal
    MeanderingMammal Posts: 7,866 Member
    I literally was just looking at protein powder but it is way to high in price!

Protein drink isnt appropriate before or during a run, and only really afterwards later in the plan. You may not need it at all.

Look for electrolyte tablets or powders.
  • You only need eletrolytes after endurance runs (ie. 2 hours plus). Before that, you're just flooding your body with pricey sodium and sugar.

And protein shakes can be just fine before a run, just as a meal would be. During a run they don't make much sense. You would get more benefit from an amino supplement at that point.
  • Side stitches and headaches for me mean I'm dehydrated. I used to not drink much (or eat anything) at least 2 hours before running because I thought the stitches were from "sloshy tummy." Turns out, it was dehydration. Even when you're inside... and it's cold... and you don't feel thirsty... your body is sweating. Drink a gulp before your next run and see if that helps.

Also, I saw people already said this, but SLOW DOWN. Stamina is better than speed at this point, although when you're a newbie it's hard to know what's "slow" and what's "not slow enough." On a treadmill, try to keep your pace around 13:30 or 14:00 when running. It will be more of a shuffle. If that works, try 13:00-13:30 the next running day. Don't get discouraged when you make the switch to outside. Running outside is HARDER than the treadmill.

I started running in November 2011. In January 2012, I ran my first 5k. In January 2013, I ran my first half marathon. In August 2013, I did a half plus a 10k (19.3 miles). It all started with C25k. You can do it, too!
  • MeanderingMammal
    MeanderingMammal Posts: 7,866 Member
    You only need eletrolytes after endurance runs (ie. 2 hours plus). Before that, you're just flooding your body with pricey sodium.

Read upthread. The originator appears to be dehydrated. Whilst electrolyte shouldnt be needed (stated in my previous) it may do.
  • From what you are saying, I think that the common-sense advice would be to start more easy and gradually increase the pace. You may also want to see a health professional in your area if the headaches continue.

http://www.contoursexpress.com.sg/
  • Natmarie73
    Natmarie73 Posts: 287 Member
    Unlike most people who have responded, it took me ages (almost 2 years) before I felt any improvement in my running! I also did C25K and was stuck on 3ks for months - I just could not run any further. I still can only run about 2 - 3 k's at a time and have to have walk breaks in between but by doing it this way I can do 10ks easily enough. I have found that my running has improved more over the last few weeks since starting to cycle long distances than it did in the previous 18 months.

I also found that since I have been running, I find it easier to cycle now than when I tried a few years ago (and gave up because it was too hard).

Persevere and it will get easier over time. Even if you don't feel you are getting anywhere, keep at it because you are still getting fitter than the person sitting on the couch.