Is Insanity Worth it?

Options

Replies

• alfiedn
    alfiedn Posts: 425 Member
    Options
    I bought it off Craigslist. It's definitely hard. I have to modify and haven't stuck with it all the way through. I would say the DVDs I got are legit and the guy that sold them to me even still had the workout planner and all the other materials that go with them.
  • Josalinn
    Josalinn Posts: 1,066 Member
    Options
    I tried it. But I was not very in shape to begin with. There are no modifiers. My knees were very achy.

If you haven't tried it, I would say try Jillian Michaels 30ds first, because it is still fairly intense workout but not as crazy as Insanity. It is also only 20 mins instead of close to an hour. The DvD is like $7 instead of over $100.

The only reason I stopped was because I was having chest pains. I was on a drug for Lyme's disease that turns out I was allergic too, but the intensity of Insanity and the bad drug combo made my chest seize pretty hard.

I haven't gone back to it, but I figured I should explain why I stopped. If you do decide to do it good luck. I did not enjoy the work outs so it was hard to motivate myself to do them.
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,411 MFP Moderator
    Options

It's almost impossible for me to gain water weight tho since I'm on a diuretic, so what effect would that have on me?

You would get stronger. Your body will naturally retain water to repair broken down muscle fibers. I can't see that being different while on a diuretic. I would assume sodium wouldn't affect you as much though.
  • scho0747
    Options
    For all of you saying that you really shouldn't do insanity if you aren't already somewhat fit let me just say that I am doing it and I weigh 280 so if I can do it other people certainly can. YES it is hard but no one expects you to keep up with the people on the video right when you start out (hell they can't even do it all the way through without stopping) and you can modify the moves until you gain the strength and stamina to do them. It does also build muscle it is cardio AND strength training, my muscles kill after doing it. Just some food for thought. Hope you get what you are looking for.
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,411 MFP Moderator
    Options
    For all of you saying that you really shouldn't do insanity if you aren't already somewhat fit let me just say that I am doing it and I weigh 280 so if I can do it other people certainly can. YES it is hard but no one expects you to keep up with the people on the video right when you start out (hell they can't even do it all the way through without stopping) and you can modify the moves until you gain the strength and stamina to do them. It does also build muscle it is cardio AND strength training, my muscles kill after doing it. Just some food for thought. Hope you get what you are looking for.

I agree that you can do it, but going extreme from day 1 isn't for most people. I was able to deal with it, but most of my friends couldn't handle the craziness. Also, there is a difference between increasing the efficiency of your muscle (making muscles stronger) than building new lean body mass (muscle growth). It's very difficult to build muscle in an anabolic state (especially for women) while doing progressive compound lifting, let alone have the ability to do it doing cardio programs.
  • allittakes110
    Options
    I personally am a fan of the Insanity program. It really pushes me and by the end of the 2 months (if you stick with it) you definitely will have improved cardiovascular endurance. I have done Insanity all the way through once. Another time I made it halfway through before I lost my motivation to continue. Currently, I have two weeks remaining in my 2nd full round. Just like with any program nutrition is really going to be the key to seeing results. Everything comes down to calories in and calories out. It definitely will be a challenge and I'll admit as much as I like the program, there are still days where I really have to convince myself to push play. So if you are someone who has the willpower and self-motivation to make sure that you will do the workout every day then go for it. Otherwise, I'd aim for something that isn't so expensive. Whenever I buy a Beachbody program, I always have to laugh at the "free gifts" that I am apparently receiving. Sorry, but for $120+, I'm definitely paying for them. Plus they always consider the workout calendar (which is not really even poster quality) to be a free gift. A little bit of slap to the face if you ask me. Just include it. Don't tell me it was a gift with my purchase. Oh the irony!
  • bzbs
    bzbs Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    Insanity is one of the great beachbody programs, ( I am a beach body coach) have you ever used any of their exercise programs? I have several that i use. Insanity is an intense program that is right for those who want to do more advance exercise.. you will get results.. message me and I will be glad to help you get started
  • JJJJ25
    JJJJ25 Posts: 37
    Options
    I went into Insanity with a high level of fitness (albeit, coming off a powerlifting competition, so less cardio based workouts prior) and although challenging, I was able to keep up with Shaun T from day 1. And guess what? No dramatic transformations. Zilch. I didn't skip workouts or modify moves and I did not have any notable aesthetic changes.

HOWEVER, I went from barely able to run over a mile before Insanity, to being able to run 3 miles nonstop after Insanity. And here's the thing - I didn't run at ALL during Insanity. 9 weeks, no running, and was suddenly able to run 3 miles.

The performance results were undeniable. Just make sure you won't be disappointed if your aesthetic expectations aren't met.
  • allittakes110
    Options
    I went into Insanity with a high level of fitness (albeit, coming off a powerlifting competition, so less cardio based workouts prior) and although challenging, I was able to keep up with Shaun T from day 1. And guess what? No dramatic transformations. Zilch. I didn't skip workouts or modify moves and I did not have any notable aesthetic changes.

HOWEVER, I went from barely able to run over a mile before Insanity, to being able to run 3 miles nonstop after Insanity. And here's the thing - I didn't run at ALL during Insanity. 9 weeks, no running, and was suddenly able to run 3 miles.

The performance results were undeniable. Just make sure you won't be disappointed if your aesthetic expectations aren't met.

I think this review basically sums up my experience as well. Not a lot of physical changes, but I definitely was in better shape afterwards. My resting heart rate dropped and my cardio endurance definitely improved.
  • littlebutlean
    littlebutlean Posts: 2,159 Member
    Options
    It is hard as hell, and unless you are already pretty fit, you won't keep up.

Yep this right here. Its quite advanced, not for beginners at all. I thought I was "fit" and it was rough for me.
  • hayley9914
    hayley9914 Posts: 80 Member
    Options
    I am currently on week 3 of Insanity so not finished yet, but I just wanted to tell you about my experience so far. I started the programme a few weeks ago and got to the end of week 2, at which time I got a dose of flu and had to stop for a few days to recover. During my first week of Insanity my legs and arms felt like wet noodles and I was taking recovery formula to help with that. When I had recovered enough to restart I was quite frankly dreading that sore feeling again, but I wanted to get my money's worth so started up again!! I cannot tell you how surprised I was at the gains I had obviously made in both strength and fitness. I was able to start all over again without ANY soreness, and I am full of energy for the whole day after. Even taking into account the fact that I was probably on a downward slide to the flu the first time round I was still doing ok.

I can honestly say I am getting such a buzz from it that it is my motivation to continue (and I have to get up at 5.15am to fit it in to my day!!) - I feel stronger every day. I am predominently a runner so push ups etc were alien to me. I did another workout DVD on my 'day off' and it felt sooo slow in comparison.

Sorry for rambling, but I just wanted to share as I am a complete convert!! Yes it is a lot of money, but I bought it to add to my collection so I can rotate in the longer term, and not just for the quick fix.
  • bronx1101
    Options
    Ahhh, Insanity...it's called that for a reason. My husband ordered it for me and him to do together. He quit after two weeks. I trucked along until I completed it. Some days I felt great. Other days I cried like a baby. I hated Shaun T; Quite literally cussed him out (well, the TV). But, I did it. I saw results (not the ad worthy kind). I lost lbs and inches; I saw toned legs and arms; and I had more stamina and endurance. So, is it worth the money? Yes. Will it be easy? No. Will you see results? You get what you put into it.
  • abickford82
    Options
    It is hard as hell, and unless you are already pretty fit, you won't keep up.

It doesn't get easier, you just get better.
  • BekaHoog
    BekaHoog Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    DO NOT BE AFRAID OF IT!! I got the videos from my sister back in 2012, and let me tell you, I am SUPER SUPER lazy, I don't like aerobic workouts, I didnt have any previous "endurance" training nor was I "fit", I was 173 pounds and I completed the program, granted, it took me around 2 extra weeks cause I never did them EXACTLY as I was supposed to, some days I didn't do it and then the next I would restart, I did switch exercises frequently, cause of my knees and my wrists and I often took breaks or slowed down, and I still lost 35 pounds!! (combined with a 1300 cals a day diet) I was shocked that someone like me could do the whole thing! and my results were amazing, I went from size 13 pants, to size 2!! I started going at it again last week and I still swear by it! My advice: DO NOT be afraid of it!! You can do it, but do it at your own pace, push yourself as much as you can, but keep it safe! But like every other workout, you have to combine it with healthy eating or the effort will be for nothing.. Good Luck!!!
  • tlcarolinagirl
    tlcarolinagirl Posts: 1,700 Member
    Options
    It is definitely really hard. Have you considered T-25 Focus? That's what I do and I love it. I stayed in the first phase, Alpha, a little longer because I just didn't physically feel ready for Beta. I started Beta yesterday and it's fabulous. I think after I am done with this program, I might be ready for Insanity...maybe.
  • Commander_Keen
    Commander_Keen Posts: 1,179 Member
    Options
    Yes insanity is worth it..
    NO question if you keep at it, it does get easier...
    NO question, it will kick your *kitten*,
    No question you need a HRM to keep track how many calories you burn.
    No question, if you are not motovated to do it, it will be a waste of money
  • sassyjae21
    sassyjae21 Posts: 1,217 Member
    Options
    I would love to weigh in here (no pun intended, haha) I started insanity a month ago and didn't think I was ready. I wasn't. I don't really know that you can get ready for a workout like that. I started with jillian michaels 30 day shred, and it helped me a little.

That being said, I think it is totally worth it. Then again, I didn't buy it. Don't know that I would spend that much money on it. But i'm getting awesome results and am really getting strong.

But I do hate it. lol

ETA: People are right: you really have to be motivated. A bunch of people on here got me to do it with them and i believe I'm one of the only ones still doing it. And i haven't skipped a day yet.
  • RunWinterGarden
    RunWinterGarden Posts: 428 Member
    Options
    Just reading some of these posts here annoy me. Just because you aren't at a high fit level doesn't mean you can't do insanity, just know that you won't be able to do all of the exercises right out of the bat and that you will need to take more breaks than probably given. I absolutely loved Insanity when I was doing it, but my knees don't do well with squats and lunges so I had to stop unfortunately. I highly recommend you do it if you think you can stick to working out 6 times a week.
  • alasin1derland
    alasin1derland Posts: 575 Member
    Options
    The human body is amazingly adaptable. If you are not in shape you do need to be stubborn. You just got to keep doing your best everyday and sometime in week 2 you will realize you are doing it. That's how it went for me. I did the whole program 3 times back to back. Like others I bought mine new off a website and it was $60, I saw the next week it was reduced to $40.
  • ttknowles01
    ttknowles01 Posts: 255 Member
    Options
    On fitnessblender.com it is not the same exact videos but there are lots of them with different times and intensity levels but as I was doing some of the HIIT cardio lots of the moves are the same. They get your heart rate up and you do feel like you have done some work! Just go through the videos and try them. I'm new to that website also. Its great because they are all a little different which is great because it wont get your body used to the same things.

^^^ This....I splurged on Insanity and did two rounds. The second round I got bored and added in some strength training workouts. I didn't lose a lot of weight, but I lost inches, and aggravated my knee. You can always modify your moves if you need to, and just do your best through the workouts. Fitnessblender workouts are all I'm doing these days...they work and they are free!! :-)