(LADIES) Working Out on Our Periods? Limits?

Options

Replies

• Zomb1eMummy
    Zomb1eMummy Posts: 104 Member
    Options
    The only issue I have when I am on my period and working out is that I am lightheaded and dizzy. I can be doing the exact same workout I always do but for some reason I get light headed when I on my period. Was actually gonna post a topic about it.
  • concordancia
    concordancia Posts: 5,320 Member
    Options
    The only issue I have when I am on my period and working out is that I am lightheaded and dizzy. I can be doing the exact same workout I always do but for some reason I get light headed when I on my period. Was actually gonna post a topic about it.

Your period can affect your iron levels and your blood pressure, which could in turn lead to these symptoms.
  • Zomb1eMummy
    Zomb1eMummy Posts: 104 Member
    Options
    Thank you for telling me this. Maybe I need to talk to my doctor then.
  • 125KC
    125KC Posts: 71 Member
    Options
    I'm with the above posters - workout...it's just another day. I do have to add one caveat though, and that is i avoid sustained inverted poses in yoga. That will cause, due only to your body position and gravity, a "gush" once you return to your normal body position - aka upright. And this only happened to me once on a "heavy" day.

Otherwise, i push just as hard as any other day.
  • MinnieInMaine
    MinnieInMaine Posts: 6,400 Member
    Options
    Everyone is different. Some of us have uncomfortable but tolerable periods, some of us have rediculous horrible cramping ugliness every month, and anywhere in between. So it's up to you. If you feel you can workout, then workout. If you're a bit tired and crampy, still workout but maybe take the intensity down a notch or two (ex: walk instead of run). If you're in a bunch of pain and can hardly walk, it might be best to just rest up and try again tomorrow.

The one thing to be cautious of is taking something like Advil or Aleve for cramps and then deciding to workout - the meds can mask the typical pain warnings that signal if you're pushing too far or have bad form (risking injury).
  • BlueBombers
    BlueBombers Posts: 4,065 Member
    Options
    You can workout the same as you always do.

Just take some pain killers if needed prior, that is what I do. It's business as usual.

Edit: And wear heavy flow protection.
  • ShibaEars
    ShibaEars Posts: 3,928 Member
    Options
    Work out as hard as possible. Every single time you work out. Periods are no exception.

This.

Sometimes I may have to take a bit longer break due to cramps, or if I'm really tired I may not be going as fast or as hard as normal, but I still push myself.
  • AusAshMommy
    AusAshMommy Posts: 845 Member
    Options
    It's just another week/day for me - my period has actually gotten lighter since I've been working out consistently...not sure why but it has.

If you are feeling light headed slow down some, consume more protein, stay hydrated and push on!
  • RosemarieSenpai
    RosemarieSenpai Posts: 85 Member
    Options
    My family from a different culture thinks if I workout too hard on my period I get more "blood loss" if I'm shortening my cycle that way by working out... Which I think is weird since I do get light headed sometimes but that's the norm.
  • RosemarieSenpai
    RosemarieSenpai Posts: 85 Member
    Options
    Working out will actually help alleviate the effects of PMS...it's a fact.
    I wish I had the house to myself so I can do my usual workout routine without having people hog my living room.
    It completely amazes me that in this day and age people are still so concerned about their periods and what they can and can't do. Really its just a little blood. Nervous about it....use a pad with a tampon and move on.
    Ha! Not a little in my case on the first to third day -- hate it! I actually do the pad and tampon thing because I sometimes wake up to a murder scene and my flows have always been heavy. :sad:
  • concordancia
    concordancia Posts: 5,320 Member
    Options
    Ha! Not a little in my case on the first to third day -- hate it! I actually do the pad and tampon thing because I sometimes wake up to a murder scene and my flows have always been heavy. :sad:

My mom freaked out my first period because it was four years earlier than she had hers and at least three times heavier.

It took a decade or two, but I finally started waking myself to replace everything if I woke up at all. Basically, I think I have learned to wake up from what is technically a light sleep.
  • SoDamnHungry
    SoDamnHungry Posts: 6,998 Member
    Options
    If you feel fine, work out. Ketchup bottle effect...really? Just wear a tampon if you're afraid you'll shake business up too much.

I work out if I feel up to it, if not, I either do a lazy workout or take the day off. Not the end of the world, either way.
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options
    Work out as hard as possible. Every single time you work out. Periods are no exception.

this.
  • nilbogger
    nilbogger Posts: 870 Member
    Options
    Work out as hard as you feel you can, just like any other day. It's your body... you know it better than we do.
  • becky10rp
    becky10rp Posts: 573 Member
    Options
    ALLOWED to work out?

Do you answer to someone about working out?!

Sorry - don't mean to be snarky - but - YOU are in control of YOU.

My advise - WORK OUT.

You'll feel better in the long run!

TAKE CONTROL, SISTER!!~
  • rml_16
    rml_16 Posts: 16,414 Member
    Options
    How hard are we allowed to workout?
    I noticed yesterday that I'm starting to "PMS" but I don't want to resort to a corner with a chocolate bar in hand and perhaps a small tub of ice cream. :grumble:
    There are some people who has told me not to push myself too far or it'd have that "ketchup bottle effect" or releasing more than I should.

What should I do?
    There is only so much blood in there to release. Jumping up and down MIGHT make it come out faster, but you won't lose more than you would otherwise.

Work out as hard or long as you feel up to.
  • tristaj90
    tristaj90 Posts: 330 Member
    Options
    I usually don't do a "FULL-OUT" workout. I'm on dr's orders to only use pads so I worry about leaking. So bascially if there's jumps I don't do a full jump, or squats, I don't do a full squat either. But I do NOT skip working out if I can help it.
  • BusyRaeNOTBusty
    BusyRaeNOTBusty Posts: 7,166 Member
    Options
    I live life as normal while on my period, including work outs.
  • GothyFaery
    GothyFaery Posts: 762 Member
    Options
    The only reason I would think to limit yourself on your period is if your cramps are really bad. But working out actually can help ease your cramps if you can suck it up long enough to push through them. So I don't see any reason to hold yourself back. If it's a heavy day, make sure you're prepared with the right products to hold everything.
  • lauribear
    lauribear Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    How hard are we allowed to workout?
    I noticed yesterday that I'm starting to "PMS" but I don't want to resort to a corner with a chocolate bar in hand and perhaps a small tub of ice cream. :grumble:
    There are some people who has told me not to push myself too far or it'd have that "ketchup bottle effect" or releasing more than I should.

What should I do?

What an outdated stereo type .....sorry.
    I remember when I started my period in the late 50's that all exercise was absolutely " verboten ". But somehow I thought that limiting a woman's activities during those days had been left behind in the middle of the last century. Imagine, all of a sudden the female athletes participating in the Olympic games limiting their activities, because they had their period.....
    What those people tell you is utterly uninformed. Only your choice and how you feel is the limit on how far you can " push " yourself. If you are otherwise healthy there is no reason ( except personal preference ) why you need to limit yourself.

This. Times 1000!