Is Insanity Worth it?

Options
13»

Replies

• IPAkiller
    IPAkiller Posts: 711 Member
    Options
    To the MFPers who are saying it's difficult. Of course it's difficult otherwise it would be "Sweating to the Oldies". The first time I went through Insanity I was 225 and ended at 195. I was on a very strict diet and gave 110% to the workouts. Even though I gave 110%, I was still only able to do 30% of what Shawn was telling me. It isn't about keeping up or doing exactly what they say. It's about doing what you can, monitoring your heart rate and improving your numbers as you go along. By the end, I was still only able to complete about 80% of what the routines asked.

I didn't just jump into the videos either. I spent three months walking 2-3 miles a day constantly beating the previous days’ time and eventually worked up to jogging (went from 240 to 225).

Best advice I can give that SEVERAL people completely ignore, "Do what you can during the workouts, but do the workouts in the order the schedule tells you on the days it tells you. I hear so many people "bragging" about doing Insanity and explain they do the ones they want, when they want. A lot of trainers, coaches, doctors and people smarter than us put it together a certain way for a reason... don't ignore the experts.

What did I gain from the program? Yes I lost pounds and inches obviously, but it was other things that impressed me more. The complete transformation of my core strength was amazing. I went from struggling to carry my child and a diaper bag to: strapping diaper bag on back, pulling child out of carseat, grabbing ALL the groceries on one hand, hauling the whole deal inside, opening doors and even balancing on one leg for a majority of it. I also really felt a lot of the structure in my life returning. The early morning workouts, regimented diet/feeding times and increase in daily productivity was awesome.

WARNING: If you're someone who is just upset with yourself to the point of wasting $150 to feel better, don't waste your money. You have to be disgusted enough to actually use the thing. Additionally, get ready to be inundated with adverts to buy beach body crap, visit the website and basically drink the Kool-Aid while handing over your CC number. You don't need that crap and should avoid going to beachbodydotcom altogether.

Last suggestions: Try to find a friend or a friend of a friend who has it and decided to quit. The cost is pricey and picking it up second hand for $20 or free even is a huge win. Trying to find the workouts on YouTube will just frustrate you. You might find a good one and it will be gone the next day, you could start one to only have it cut out halfway through or the video/audio quality will be so bad it will frustrate you.

You are the only one who knows if you're ready (physically and mentally) to start and complete Insanity and it's only "worth it" if you are ready.
  • David988
    David988 Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    I lost 12lbs in 4 weeks doing insanity... and i used to be 246 o.o ... still on it tho....
  • DRJ311
    DRJ311 Posts: 58 Member
    Options
    For all of you saying that you really shouldn't do insanity if you aren't already somewhat fit let me just say that I am doing it and I weigh 280 so if I can do it other people certainly can. YES it is hard but no one expects you to keep up with the people on the video right when you start out (hell they can't even do it all the way through without stopping) and you can modify the moves until you gain the strength and stamina to do them. It does also build muscle it is cardio AND strength training, my muscles kill after doing it. Just some food for thought. Hope you get what you are looking for.

^^ This. I am also not anywhere near my goal weight, and I do it. You can certainly do it at ANY weight.
    It is VERY hard to stick to faithfully, though. Especially time-wise. Month one exercises ranges between 30-45 minutes, then month two is over an hour long workout. I do it every other day, and run on alternate days. Find what works for you. The videos always tell you to never compromise form so you don't have to keep up with the speed of the people in the videos, that would be unrealistic unless you were in tip top shape.(QUALITY OVER QUANTITY)
    ....But, it is possible. You get an awesome workout, too. It gets easier with time.
    Good luck!
  • DesDawn24
    DesDawn24 Posts: 147 Member
    Options
    Ahhh, Insanity...it's called that for a reason. My husband ordered it for me and him to do together. He quit after two weeks. I trucked along until I completed it. Some days I felt great. Other days I cried like a baby. I hated Shaun T; Quite literally cussed him out (well, the TV). But, I did it. I saw results (not the ad worthy kind). I lost lbs and inches; I saw toned legs and arms; and I had more stamina and endurance. So, is it worth the money? Yes. Will it be easy? No. Will you see results? You get what you put into it.

This! If you half-*kitten* it, it's not going to give you magical results. But if you sweat it out, day after day, you will find results even in areas that you maybe didn't expect them. As others have said, your cardio endurance will increase even if you don't lose a lot of weight or inches. I wasn't in the greatest shape when I started (and injuries have kept me from completing it), but even through the first half I felt noticeable results. As much as there are days where I want to cry, and yell, and curse and quit, I know that it works for me and it's what keeps me going!
  • Roadie2000
    Roadie2000 Posts: 1,801 Member
    Options
    Like anything else, how much weight you lose will depend on your diet. It's definitely tough though. I wear a HRM and need to stop quite often to catch my breath and for my heart rate to come down.

Is it worth it? That all depends on your financial situation. It was worth it for me because I wasn't exercising so I bought the DVDs. And I know if I pay for something I'm more likely to stick with it for a while so I can get my moneys worth.

Just keep in mind that it's only 60 days. You can keep doing it after that but it gets pretty repetitive after a while. And it's pretty high impact, if you have bad knees or joints you may want to consider something else.
  • NoExcusesFitnessCoach
    Options
    Like everyone else has said, Insanity is TOUGH. But, it is totally worth it. If you want results, you will get them if you stick to the program and nutrition plan. There are plenty of other programs you could consider, but this is a program that will definitely get you on the right track!
  • LollerskateDJ
    LollerskateDJ Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    I would try T25.

I tried Insanity last year and I really didn't like it at all. I'm already really overweight. I was about 245 lbs when I did Insanity. Now that I am 229, I started T25 this week and I stick to the modifiers and I love it so far. I keep a water bottle near by though because i get dehydrated quickly.

It still kicks your butt but it's doable without feeling like you are going to passout.
  • MostlyWater
    MostlyWater Posts: 4,294 Member
    Options
    Why not looked for the dvds used or at the library?
  • BeautyDoll
    BeautyDoll Posts: 86 Member
    Options
    I loved it and it was worth it. With most exercise programs its all about personal taste. My friend loved P90 and I hated it. I loved Insantiy and she hated it. Watch the ads for it and see what you think. Also check out the million YouTube videos out there. I'm sure it will help you make a decision. Good luck!
  • odusgolp
    odusgolp Posts: 10,477 Member
    Options
    To the MFPers who are saying it's difficult. Of course it's difficult otherwise it would be "Sweating to the Oldies". The first time I went through Insanity I was 225 and ended at 195. I was on a very strict diet and gave 110% to the workouts. Even though I gave 110%, I was still only able to do 30% of what Shawn was telling me. It isn't about keeping up or doing exactly what they say. It's about doing what you can, monitoring your heart rate and improving your numbers as you go along. By the end, I was still only able to complete about 80% of what the routines asked.

I didn't just jump into the videos either. I spent three months walking 2-3 miles a day constantly beating the previous days’ time and eventually worked up to jogging (went from 240 to 225).

Best advice I can give that SEVERAL people completely ignore, "Do what you can during the workouts, but do the workouts in the order the schedule tells you on the days it tells you. I hear so many people "bragging" about doing Insanity and explain they do the ones they want, when they want. A lot of trainers, coaches, doctors and people smarter than us put it together a certain way for a reason... don't ignore the experts.

What did I gain from the program? Yes I lost pounds and inches obviously, but it was other things that impressed me more. The complete transformation of my core strength was amazing. I went from struggling to carry my child and a diaper bag to: strapping diaper bag on back, pulling child out of carseat, grabbing ALL the groceries on one hand, hauling the whole deal inside, opening doors and even balancing on one leg for a majority of it. I also really felt a lot of the structure in my life returning. The early morning workouts, regimented diet/feeding times and increase in daily productivity was awesome.

WARNING: If you're someone who is just upset with yourself to the point of wasting $150 to feel better, don't waste your money. You have to be disgusted enough to actually use the thing. Additionally, get ready to be inundated with adverts to buy beach body crap, visit the website and basically drink the Kool-Aid while handing over your CC number. You don't need that crap and should avoid going to beachbodydotcom altogether.

Last suggestions: Try to find a friend or a friend of a friend who has it and decided to quit. The cost is pricey and picking it up second hand for $20 or free even is a huge win. Trying to find the workouts on YouTube will just frustrate you. You might find a good one and it will be gone the next day, you could start one to only have it cut out halfway through or the video/audio quality will be so bad it will frustrate you.

You are the only one who knows if you're ready (physically and mentally) to start and complete Insanity and it's only "worth it" if you are ready.

Dude, you're hot. Wanna go out sometime?
  • IPAkiller
    IPAkiller Posts: 711 Member
    Options
    Brah, do you even put out? I don't want to waste $6.32 on a EVM#2 without the promise of some action.
  • odusgolp
    odusgolp Posts: 10,477 Member
    Options
    Brah, do you even put out? I don't want to waste $6.32 on a EVM#2 without the promise of some action.

Well lucky for you, I TOTALLY put out... Let's make this happen.
  • hellraisedfire
    hellraisedfire Posts: 403 Member
    Options
    it's really hard to do. I can do p90x, but I wouldn't look twice at insanity. NO WAY. but seriously, keep in mind, even if it takes you an hour to do the workout, you're still working out. it isn't like someone is staring at you saying "NOPE you don't burn any calories today, you didn't finish the workout!"

however. many people say "why not just go to the gym" and "eat healthy". if you're someone who needs a more laid-out plan, go for insanity. I know personally, I suck at going to the gym. I don't know what to do, I hate being around people, and I have to drive half an hour to get there. I like having my workouts laid out for me. it's totally up to you. :)